• "I googled it and found hentai."

Mass Effect Andromeda: Shitstorm EditionRIP Biowear

Discussion in 'Games' started by Vault Boy, Nov 7, 2016.

1. This is twice now where Dobson is showing clarity. That's how bad this game is: even Anal Andy is taking a step back and saying it's garbage.

When the quips and snark happened in the original trilogy, it felt organic. It also usually had a kind of jaded edge to it. Befitting a group of trained killers.

But many of Andromeda's cast don't act like that. I'll be honest: I don't think Sarah or Scott Ryder ever killed someone before in their lives. Yet they command a group of commandos. I just can't imagine a career soldier walking up to the bridge and awkwardly tripping over her words as she tells the helmswoman her accent is cute.

• Agree Agree x 11
    Replicant Sasquatch

Replicant Sasquatch Do Lolcows Dream of Electric Hedgehog Pokemon?

kiwifarms.net
  2. [​IMG]
    Everyone change their avatar to this on launch day.
    EDIT: I kind of hope it reaches Skyrim or Fallout: New Vegas levels of buggyness, because that level has a sort of charm to it.

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Like Like x 3
    • Semper Fidelis Semper Fidelis x 2
    Randall Fragg

Randall Fragg Skeleton Justice Warrior
    Staff Member Moderator

kiwifarms.net
  3. Yfw the dialogue is so shitty even Tumble sjws are mocking it.

• Feels Feels x 6
    Ruin

Ruin Got the Lorax in my bush.
    True & Honest Fan

kiwifarms.net
  4. Well we can be sure the writing won't be reaching New Vegas levels.

Now I'm imagining various members of the Andromeda Initiative being crucified along a broken asphalt road while desert winds howl around them. Ave, true to Caesar.

• Feels Feels x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    Mola Ram

Mola Ram You betrayed Shiva!

kiwifarms.net
  5. Rundown, then.

Dialogue: A fair chunk of the dialogue isn't out of place in a Bioware game. Not perfect by any means, but not really more or less cringy than any of their other titles. Most of the cringe comes from the contrast between what are supposedly special operators talking and behaving like angsty teenagers. The "my face is tired" comes from a character than ran a doomed habitation ship amidst rebellion, civil unrest, and dwindling supplies for over a year. I would have expected less tripe and more hardened commander from them.
    Team mate banter isn't awful. Liam and Cora have actually decent VA's who do a fair job of their role as ex cop and career soldier. I'm 90% sure Male Ryder is voiced by Nolan North, so his actual quality is all over the map. It's best in combat and when Ryder is angry, absolute worst during relaxed dialogue.

Quests: The main quest you're given isn't as awful as was reported. It's still not great, but it's not shit either. The tl;dr is that the garden worlds intended to settle on went to shit during the trip from the Milky Way, so you have to unshit them via main and side quests which improve a stat called viability. Evidently the Milky Way is still fairly habitable, since they left people behind, but seriously fucked up at time of leaving, hence the Andromeda Initiative. I ran a couple of side quests. A murder investigation, which wasn't as bad as was expected and gave me a different result than I anticipated (spoiler: dude was innocent). Another was to find memory nodes scattered around the environment that unlock your pet AI's memories, which were locked away by the PC's father. This was a huge let down since you get the nodes then have to return to the cryo ship to view them which then breaks the pace of the game.

Gameplay: I'm surprised to say that the mocap actors were actually possessed of normal human motion, for the most part. I didn't get the infamous crab walk down the stairs. Running is no longer the stiff armed atrocity of the previous two games, and there's a sort of stumble when you hit back or stop running. Going down stairs and ramps isn't that exceptional half trip of ME3. Moving forward then to either side has that slight juke of a football player, which is nice attention to detail. Using the jump pack thing to move upwards will have the character grab and pull the ledge if using a one handed weapon, and jump up with their feet if their hands are occupied. Again, nice attention to detail. Cutscene animations are where it falls flat, since I get the impression that someone half assed the animations to save time. I did see the no eye contact thing a lot, but whatever day one patch is included in the demo clearly did something to how lighting affects characters since it wasn't the monstrosity of the aforementioned gifs.

Combat: I'm not sure if I like or dislike the change to rapid cover based shooting. Cover is not a push button affair anymore. Moving up to a cover object with a drawn weapon is enough to go into cover, which has a satisfying thunk when you go up against a wall. The flip side is that enemies will try to flush you out of cover more often with grenades, advancing heavy gunners, and mobility tactics involving the jump pack mentioned earlier. Combat controls could have undergone some QA runs, since the settings shortcut is H key, with F and G used in combat so a missed key will drop a menu on the screen. For some reason, holster weapon is V with melee on F. Since most other games have V as melee, I did end up putting my gun away twice in one firefight. Most enemies fall into the classic close/medium/long range archetypes, but they move fast and re position a lot to keep you moving. For people who played Mass Effect 3, the weapon class set up got tweaked so SMGs and handguns are the same "class" of pistols. I found myself quite liking the change since I could keep a rifle and a SMG to keep up rapid firepower. Guns are held properly, with foregrips being more than just decoration. Unfortunately, the crazy cutscene animations strike here too, since it was normal for Ryder to hold a rifle about five inches off the grip during the few cutscenes between fights. The ability to carry more than two guns at a time is found in the skill tree, which I'm alright with.

Conclusions: For a rookie team, I'm impressed. For what should be a Bioware title, I'm not. If this was a new studio with a new IP, I'd be more willing to overlook the let downs. But, this is Bioware and a reputation does hang off that name. Whether it hangs by noose or harness is up to you, but ME:A definitely falls short of the original trilogy. I'd pay no more than thirty for this, and I'd compare it negatively to Dragon Age Inquisition. 7/10 under charitable conditions, 4.5/10 compared to the original trilogy.

• Informative Informative x 14
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Semper Fidelis Semper Fidelis x 1
    kiwifarms.net
  6. For sure :cool:

If I wasn't so attached to Heffer, Retardo Ryder would be my permanent avatar.

• Feels Feels x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    kiwifarms.net
  7. This might seem like a random question but in one of the gameplay demos I saw Ryder holding her weapon left handed with the camera going over her left shoulder. I don't think it's from mirroring the footage because the squadmates hold their weapons righthanded. Is this a bug or is there actually a feature to change how you hold your weapon?

Replicant Sasquatch

kiwifarms.net
  8. Inquisitions worst sin is that it's really, really boring. People are outright mocking this game in way noone did in 2014.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Winner Winner x 1
    Corypheus

Corypheus Totally not evil

kiwifarms.net
  9. Dunno. I am right handed, so I didn't go looking for the option, if that makes sense. Playing Sheva in RE5 was a pain in the ass since lefty camera angles are weird to me.

Inquisition was paced way too slow later on. The Hinterlands had the highest density of stuff to do, then the rest of the zones from there were more sparse. That killed it for me.

• Informative Informative x 3
    kiwifarms.net
  10. New Vegas was buggy but at least it was a good game. Keep in mind that bethesda rushed Obsidian to release NV and it was Bethesda's job to test and fix bugs.
    And they also had to work with a shitty engine like Gamebryo.

• Agree Agree x 5
    Cacanus

Cacanus Certified sodomite

kiwifarms.net
  11. I don't remember Inquisition having glitch compilations on Youtube set to the Benny Hill theme.

• Agree Agree x 8
    • DRINK DRINK x 1
    Ruin

Ruin Got the Lorax in my bush.
    True & Honest Fan

kiwifarms.net
  12. Mechanically, the worst thing I can say about Inquisition was the awful hair textures.

• Agree Agree x 3
    Replicant Sasquatch

kiwifarms.net
  13. Have we forgotten the even worse cloth physics?

• Agree Agree x 1
    kiwifarms.net
  14. I really hope someone mods NotLiara to be Shrek, and Fem!Ryder's armor to have a Sonichu medallion.

• Agree x 11
    • Winner x 2
    • Semper Fidelis x 2
    • Like x 1
    • Optimistic x 1
    Randall Fragg

Randall Fragg Skeleton Justice Warrior
    Staff Member Moderator

kiwifarms.net
  15. Bioware is shit at cloth. ToR is prone to this. Every scene makes your coat fly around or clip into your body and get bunched up in your chest. They dont really test clothing or aesthetic things. I got a robot arm in one of their packs and it creates infinite polygon spikes on some settings and systems. Loved it.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    Valiant

Valiant KIWI POWER
    True & Honest Fan Retired Staff

kiwifarms.net
  16. Actually it's not Nolan North, it's Tom Taylorson:

http://www.polygon.com/2016/11/7/13552694/mass-effect-andromeda-cast-voice-actors

Nice review btw.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    RIP_SANITY

RIP_SANITY NOTHING I COULD DO DOOD

kiwifarms.net
  17. I hate it when you say that sort of thing and whup a whole way of unfucking ME:A falls into my lap and again, y'wonder why nobody took that route.

Make 'em civvies, actually go full blown Trek peaceful explorers. Then all that awkward dialogue and such fits.

Take away the stupid commandos crap, make the pathfinders civilians who're more inclined to civil engineering observation and surveying and then watch as everything being fucked sees them have to cobble together plans and changing roles, despite the more military nature (and increased threat) the Pathfinders still have to lead to find a new home and thus need to be heavier armed.

As the game progresses, the Ryder Siblings wind up slowly becoming more grizzled as veterans who went from being near-doe eyed innocent scanning types to beating the shit out of an Archon of the Big Bad Peoples.

• Like x 8
    • Agree x 4
    • Winner x 2
    • Semper Fidelis x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • Feels x 1
    Ponderous Pillock

Ponderous Pillock Mike "Fry The Fags" Pence
    True & Honest Fan

kiwifarms.net
  18. While not modding, ask and you shall receive.

RYDER images.jpg
    ryder autismx4vDcDb.jpg

Not sure if this was posted yet but Shrek has a contender!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Winner Winner x 15
    • Like Like x 1
    #898 Male Idiot, Mar 20, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2017
    kiwifarms.net
    • Informative Informative x 2
    kiwifarms.net
  19. So the game is so terrible and it's character animation so bad it's starting to seep irl

(titles too similar, shitposted in the wrong thread at first but lmao at that head)

• Like Like x 1
    Internet War Criminal

Internet War Criminal Making America Great Again, One Lift at the Time
    True & Honest Fan

kiwifarms.net
  • About Us

Founded as the CWCki Forums, and originally dedicated to Christian Weston Chandler, the Kiwi Farms is about eccentrics on the Internet. These people are commonly referred to as Lolcows and are fascinating for reasons distinct to each spectator. We document the phenomenon, with every member bringing different perspectives and opinions to discussion. It is this diversity which has caused our peculiar community to thrive.

• Affiliates

• Power our Autism

Copyright © 2016 Lolcow LLC
This website may contain offensive or adult content.
Discontinue browsing if it is illegal or against your wishes to see such material.
All content belongs to their respective authors and does not represent Lolcow LLC.
We have not been served any secret court orders and are not under any gag orders.