Matthew Patrick / "MatPat" / @MatPatGT / The Game Theorists / The Film Theorists - Just a homosexual theory: Everyone is a HATER?; Plagiarism & Clickbait King

I know there were a few threads about him before that got locked, but I think the situation around this guy might have changed a bit.

Most of the backstory behind this person was already covered in the last thread, so I don't want to repeat all the same shit and beat around the bush, but I'm probably going to anyway. In short, he's the guy who makes the bullshit theories about vidyas, looks like a douchebag, and gave a copy of Undertale to the Pope and bragged about it for 16 minutes.

It's irritating that his "theories" are a shadow of what they used to be, because back when he first started making Game Theory in 2011, he said the goal was to "find more reasons to appreciate some of your favorite games, while sparking some interest in new real-world topics." (Source) For a while, he used to do that pretty well, discussing historical landmarks like Angkor Wat in the Illuision of Gaia episode, the Banana Wars in the Donkey Kong Country episode, and Maslow's hierarchy of needs in his episode with the Completionist.

Nowadays, the majority of his theories boil down to the same theory cliches of "Is he actually DEAD?", "Was it all a DREAM?", "Are the characters actually WRONG?", and my personal favorite "Are these two people actually THE SAME PERSON?????".

Couple that with a click-bait thumbnail, a pretentious voice-over that likes to present theories as indisputable fact and never accepts criticism, and die-hard fanboys that never question anything he says, and you've got some of the most garbage content on YouTube.

The general consensus of the last thread seems to be that, while he does have some cow-like characteristics, MatPat isn't a cow, because he hasn't had any chimpouts. If he did have any, then there is potential for him to become a cow.

Melchett said:
Give me some examples of chimping, or lulzy behaviour. Disliking a relatively popular youtubers videos isn't enough for a lolcow thread.
MeefaZeTroll said:
...since it seems that he doesn't try to respond to any kind of flack it's questionable if he's any kind of cow at all (very likely not). His lack of response to the hate is probably why he's so successful in life so props to him on that at least.
Sanae is a slut said:
Don't get me wrong, MatPat definitely has potential. Given the ire his actions might provoke, he could get targeted for dox, death threats, and other forms of harassment. He could turn into a lolcow if he posted something like a video with him sperging on camera against people that try to harass him.

He just hasn't gotten to that point yet.
The one quote that stands out to me is that last one about him posting a video of him sperging out on camera, because here's this video that begins with him on camera talking about the "overwhelming negativity and ridicule" on the Sans is Ness video and the Pope-Undertale thing. (From 0:28 to 4:50)
I would consider this a chimpout. It's way too melodramatic for just some mean comments.

There was also this one livestream where he reacted to a few YouTube videos giving some light criticism regarding his content. Not entirely related, but he doesn't seem to be handling the criticism being shown quite well. That and something about the thumbnail just rubs me the wrong way, the way he just preemptively describes them all as just haters when the people in the "hate videos" were people who said they've been watching his shows for a long time.
(Top, condensed edited version. Bottom, the full unedited livestream)

UPDATE!:
Yeeb-Renzo recommended that this video is mentioned here, where one YouTube user, Inside a Mind, recounts his story of trying to land a job with the Game Theorists as a freelance writer. MatPat wrote a comment in response to this video explaining his side of the story, so it's safe to say what's presented in the video is completely true.

Other than him bringing up the obvious facts of having stupid jokes and pop culture references that have nothing to do with the focus of the video, and blatantly following trending topics to make videos about, the thing that caught my attention the most was one of the tips on writing a theory that MatPat gave to Inside A Mind: (from 9:21 to 9:57)
MatPat's tip said:
You control the story. Don't feel like you have to talk about everything. Focus on the strongest evidence and brush aside some of the weaker moments or parts that may contradict what you're trying to prove. For a good example, look at the Mario is Mental series of videos-- I really focus in on that shoe grinding moment and avoid all mention of the good things Mario has done throughout the series. In that way, I'm able to direct viewer focus to what is going to be most compelling for the overall story I'm trying to tell.
An actual theory doesn't flat out brush aside evidence that contradicts it. That's not creating a theory, that's misleading by omission and creating a biased narrative that looks true if you haven't looked any evidence up for yourself. Couple that with a bunch of die-hard MatPat fans who take everything he says as fact and spread it like wildfire across the Internet without question, and the whole thing just feels like a complete slap in the face when Matt calls himself "someone who tries to advocate for science, logic, and critical thought" in his chimpout video.

Yeeb also mentioned to add some of the videos that Matt responded to in his hater livestream, so here they are along with the videos the initial "haters" made in response to the livestream:
I fully agree with ProtoMario's response that a person with over eight million subscribers reacting to minor criticism by shouting "bloobs" is really goddamn unprofessional.
END OF UPDATE

I feel like this could be enough to reopen the case on this dude. Also merry christmas if you're into that.

Links:
The Game Theorists - YouTube
The Film Theorists - YouTube
GTLive - YouTube
@MatPatGT - Twitter
@GameTheorists - Facebook
@matpatgt - Instagram

Last edited:

Yeeb-Renzo

kiwifarms.net
What you could also add to this OP is how one other Youtube theorist almost worked for MatPat and told his whole tale and progress of how he would go about working with game theory as a Free-lanced writer but (un)fortunately couldn’t.
https://youtu.be/EeHzGEgDcig
Key points:
-He was contacted by Matpat via email after seeing this dude’s theories and seeing how well put together they were and would like to have had this person join GT’s team to work as a free-lancer.
-Matpat has also contacted other small theorizing Youtubers as seen around 1:53
-In order for someone to join Matpat’s team, they must write a good audition script for a theory video for him, so Matpat gave the dude a few suggested topics to write a theory about.
-The narrator decided to take on a Gravity Falls theory script and it has shown that Matpat has used this script you can see at the beginning of his gravity falls theory video on his Film Theorists channel here. If you want to see if it is true, go to 7:49 on the Narrator’s video and back to the beginning on Film Theory’s GF’s one, they are both textually similar.
-at 9:23 and 9:42 is where it gets interesting, at 9:23 it is revealed that Matpat admits to brushing aside evidence he knows would contradict the point he is trying to make in his videos. At 9:42, he provides an example of going about this process of “sweeping aside contradictory evidence.”
9:23
E71C54AD-57D5-4C91-B622-86C2C8E1EF96.png

9:42
0E6AA04F-64EB-4E7B-BD36-9414A0E36D0B.png
-As the narrator sent in his script to get a responce back, soon it is relized that he was not going to be messaged back by Matpat in well over a month or two and only got contacted by Mat’s assistance some weeks later telling him that they are busy with stuff right now and would get back to him some other day.

In the end, he never got the job. And as a responce to the long radio static the narrator was given, MatPat wrote this comment on his video:
504A51A4-CDC9-42CE-BDD9-16BA2F6AB56A.jpeg
0095E0F6-67BF-4437-9A45-75AF479D1691.jpeg
13E98F18-ADF2-44A7-AEF2-D21C1B700A48.jpeg
Oh and remember that Gravity Falls video Film Theorists made? Apparently they never credited the dude who worked weeks on end on and never got a responce back from Mat himself. Then again, Matpat never credits his script writers or editors in his videos and Jamie could have just as well be fine with this but it’s totally up to you to decided if this is morally wrong or not.

And one more thing, it’s probably wise if OP would also add these videos as well as they seemed to stirr up quite a fuss and contributed to the “hate” of Game Theory.
Why I Now Hate Game Theory:
https://youtu.be/Whp1zO3Ndjw
My Responce To Matpat/Game Theory Live:
https://youtu.be/-_-T-3XFpxI

G

GS 281

kiwifarms.net
We had a few reports about how this was a failed cow thread in the past. Also, some backseat modding posts about how this is "not a lolcow". I cleaned it up, but since people keep wanting to push this nigger, I am giving this 24 hours to live to see where it goes. If it sucks, then its locked once and for ll, no excuses. If its decent discussion, then it stays open.

LofaSofa

I'm going to eat your pocket change
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
A lot of people know about the embarrassment of MatPat giving the Pope Undertale but not the details sounding it.

It was in 2016, and the Pope wanted to meet and greet/interview several youtubers.

They were told that it was customary to bring a gift, one that also represented their culture.

MatPat got chosen for the US but wanted to represent internet gaming culture and how it brings people together, like Undertale does. (?)

So he gave the pope a fucking steam code for Undertale.

When he later got backlash for it, it was the final straw on the camels back for him and in the beginning of the video from the OP he chimped out pretty hard.

Stammering that he was going to clear up some "ERRORS" and "MISCONCEPTIONS" about him.

He goes on about everyone who was "hating" on his video about his gift to the pope were idiots who didn't do research because the video was made for the specific purpose to NOT hate on groups of people and to come together and everyone who didn't like the video was clearly missing the irony. Then he smugly says "Gotta love the internet."

It seems he thinks the problem people had with the video was that it was spreading positivity or that they're still just "hating" his Undertale videos because of his Ness is Sans theory.

Which wasn't the problem, the problem was that he was exceptional enough to give the Pope a fucking steam code.

Another one of his points is that him giving the Pope a symbolic steam code is WAY better than the other gifts he got from other YouTubers like a surfboard or an ILLEGAL tree.

His inability too acknowledge the stupidity of what he gave the Pope and shifting to say that at least it was better than some of the other things he got is pretty exceptional in it's own right.

Also thoughout his entire speech chimpout he's extremely dramatic about how he's been able to deal with the harsh, critical blows from the internet, whether it be from youtube comments or petitions started by children to get him off the internet, he's always pushed through even against those devastating blows to his self esteem.

A gigantic ego, inability to admit one's mistakes, and shifting blame onto anything other than themselves are pretty big lolcow qualities.

Yeeb-Renzo

kiwifarms.net
A lot of people know about the embarrassment of MatPat giving the Pope Undertale but not the details sounding it.

It was in 2016, and the Pope wanted to meet and greet/interview several youtubers.

They were told that it was customary to bring a gift, one that also represented their culture.

MatPat got chosen for the US but wanted to represent internet gaming culture and how it brings people together, like Undertale does. (?)

So he gave the pope a fucking steam code for Undertale.

When he later got backlash for it, it was the final straw on the camels back for him and in the beginning of the video from the OP he chimped out pretty hard.

Stammering that he was going to clear up some "ERRORS" and "MISCONCEPTIONS" about him.

He goes on about everyone who was "hating" on his video about his gift to the pope were idiots who didn't do research because the video was made for the specific purpose to NOT hate on groups of people and to come together and everyone who didn't like the video was clearly missing the irony. Then he smugly says "Gotta love the internet."

It seems he thinks the problem people had with the video was that it was spreading positivity or that they're still just "hating" his Undertale videos because of his Ness is Sans theory.

Which wasn't the problem, the problem was that he was exceptional enough to give the Pope a fucking steam code.

Another one of his points is that him giving the Pope a symbolic steam code is WAY better than the other gifts he got from other YouTubers like a surfboard or an ILLEGAL tree.

His inability too acknowledge the stupidity of what he gave the Pope and shifting to say that at least it was better than some of the other things he got is pretty exceptional in it's own right.

Also thoughout his entire speech chimpout he's extremely dramatic about how he's been able to deal with the harsh, critical blows from the internet, whether it be from youtube comments or petitions started by children to get him off the internet, he's always pushed through even against those devastating blows to his self esteem.

A gigantic ego, inability to admit one's mistakes, and shifting blame onto anything other than themselves are pretty big lolcow qualities.
You know what Undertale also represents? Genocide. This game isn’t just about pacifism and making friends, it can also be all about your own selfish gain of others’ trust and killing them in the process for you to become stronger. So matpat allegedly gave the pope a “symbol” of genocide and hateful actions aswell.

And the part were he says people should do “research” before pulling shit on him, this is coming from the same guy who constantly looks over facts and evidence and skips over them so that he can make up “interesting and believable” theories for his 10-year old audience, A S - A - J O B . (look at sans is ness or the TF2 vs. Overwatch videos.)
Also, in the GamerFromMars responce video, he goes over how matpat and his GF kind of sperg a bit and (poorly) defends the fact that his audience isn’t a bunch of 10-year olds by revealing a bunch of Youtube Analytics showcasing that they have a “mature” audience whos made up of teenaged to adult aged people. Which, if you have a good understanding of the internet by now, you would know that that is completely FALSE as people and children LIE about their ages all the time on the internet. Wanna know how me and Mars knows this? If you wanna start a Youtube channel, you would, at the bare minimum, have to be at the ripe age of 13.
DEEE3702-7660-466D-87E4-0F48062139FF.jpeg

However, it’s pretty clear many kids do run youtube channels and are in fact below the age of 13, why? Because they “lied” about their age in order to have a channel so they can comment as many edgy “kys” and “drink bleach” jokes as they want. So again, matpat is completely bullshitting himself and his fans by trying to defend that he has a “mature” audience by using false analytics and looks down at those who do not do their research when he himself does the same thing for a job.

And to end off this post, I’ll just link you a video explaining again why his apology chimpout video is stupid.
https://youtu.be/uhknVkFqYJw

(And as a little bonus, I’ll also link you this video of a person re-uploading the apology clip by itself with little to no editing, and you can really see the truth these people have for matpat in the like/dislike ratio and the comments.)
https://youtu.be/uhknVkFqYJw

Darksydepickle

I might be a Falcon Pickle.
kiwifarms.net
I don't think he is enough of a lolcow. Oversensitive to criticism? Maybe. Looks and sounds like a douchebag? Definitely. His videos are stupid? Most of the time, at least if you're over 12 years old.

The biggest point of contention for people here seem to be his 'theories'. So what if they are lame? So what if he ignores things that would break his theories? They are just stupid, harmless videos. He's not like Jim Sterling, who's content I actually like, that manages to sometimes let his personal life seep into his Jimquisition videos and make an ass out of himself.

But Matpat knows not to overshare about his life. The most damning thing is his overreaction to That Gamer From Mars' criticism, and even then it only barely touches into lolcow territory.

SteelPlatedHeart

Politics are fucking dumb
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I think I said this before in the Undertale thread, but i don’t have any strong feeling s one way or the other about him giving a copy of the game to the Pope. It’s an odd thing to do, but wherever. I could at least understand his reasoning at the time.

It was the making a 16 minutevideo patting himself on the back for doing so with a thumbnail that gave the Pope googly-eyes that was the lolcow-worthy part.

TheScooper

I Scoop-A-Da Poop
kiwifarms.net
Didn't Scott Cawthon down right disprove one Mat's FNAF theories by confirming Purple Man is indeed Spring Trap, If I remember correctly Scott commented on Mat's video.

Scott did this before on another FNAF video, and his comment ended up being buried ( most likely deleted by Mat Really).

The butthurt surrounding the Sans/Ness video is more crazy Undertale fans unable to take a joke. MatPat can be annoying but most of what he does is just fucking around and coming up with fan theories for the hell of it, it's not like he's some unhinged hardcore fanboy pushing his idiotic headcanons.
Sure, Undertale fans, like any fans, can be crazy and irrational, but if that whole video was just a joke on MatPat's part, it wasn't very funny. That said, I've seen plenty of fans of Undertale (and people who aren't fans) making the Sans is Ness theory a running in-joke.
Honestly, it's hard to take MatPat seriously when he says that he got "overwhelming negativity and ridicule" when these videos are floating around.

InLivingTuna

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
One thing I dislike in particular about MatPat is how he always hams himself up when he's in front of the camera, like it's always this fake and annoying "wacky" persona. The best place to see this is in the YouTubers React he was in where he kept trying to crack jokes while watching sad videos and you could see how legitimately angry his girlfriend was getting with him. Look at their interactions at 2:10 and 6:30

Dirt McGirt

We're gonna need a bigger boat I tell ya hwat
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
One thing that really irks me is that he did a Theory video on the Mass Effect 3 Indoctrination Theory shit... this April. Why would you make a video on something that was fleshed out years before and was basically shot down shot too long after. Well we already know that the answer is that Andromeda was coming out in a month and he just had to make that quick buck. Something else that stuck out to me when I saw what the videos he did on DDLC was with those be basically pointed shit out that people already knew and the rest was basically copy pasted from some digging that some Reddit users did.

I used to watch some of his earlier stuff and back then it at least felt like he tried to put in some work personally, but those two recent examples indicate to me that he's at the very least phoning it in more and doesn't care.

Feline Darkmage

Gamer Gril Queen
True & Honest Fan
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
Scott Cawthon (of FNAF fame) and Toby Fox (Undertale) aren't the only creators to have to tell this idiot to STFU. More recently, he made a Film Theorists episode about Saladfingers and David Firth popped in to say this:
firth.JPG

The tl;dr on Mat's theory was that there was racism in the backstory of this thing and that Saladfingers was actually his Jeremy Fisher finger puppet.

And not to mention there was the time that Dan Harmon (alcoholic trainwreck and co-creator on Rick and Morty) was on the Film Theorist channel to talk with Mat about PIIIIICKLEE RIIIIIICK.

Oh and the time he released a Petscop video promoting the debunked "Candace Newmaker" theory without mentioning all the holes in that theory the community around Petscop already discovered. That ended up with a bunch of his fanboys inundating r/Petscop with more autism than was normal.

Yeeb-Renzo

kiwifarms.net
One thing that really irks me is that he did a Theory video on the Mass Effect 3 Indoctrination Theory shit... this April. Why would you make a video on something that was fleshed out years before and was basically shot down shot too long after. Well we already know that the answer is that Andromeda was coming out in a month and he just had to make that quick buck. Something else that stuck out to me when I saw what the videos he did on DDLC was with those be basically pointed shit out that people already knew and the rest was basically copy pasted from some digging that some Reddit users did.

I used to watch some of his earlier stuff and back then it at least felt like he tried to put in some work personally, but those two recent examples indicate to me that he's at the very least phoning it in more and doesn't care.
You at least gotta give him credit for actually crediting the Reddit users who found this shit at this time, unlike the countless other times matpat never mentioned the people who bent their backs over and accomplished something in their community.

No, matpat just goes onto some fandom subreddit, looks at a few details and trending theories, makes videos on them, and never credits the people who contributed to the theory and evidence. He’s just a messenger, a bad one at that, that tells his young audience about all this “cool and interesting and believable,” theories that he himself probably didn’t create and ripped it from elsewhere without credit.
Didn't Scott Cawthon down right disprove one Mat's FNAF theories by confirming Purple Man is indeed Spring Trap, If I remember correctly Scott commented on Mat's video.

Scott did this before on another FNAF video, and his comment ended up being buried ( most likely deleted by Mat Really).
I don’t recall Scott ever confirming purple man being springtrap to him, but he has left a comment on MatPat’s FNAF 4 theory where he tries to disprove the fact that the “bite of 87(83)” is physically impossible for an animatronic to apply so much force to a head. This is what Scott replied in his comments:
33BF7464-5CA6-4715-9F5B-5D4668982A40.png
(Taken from this video at 1:41.)

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1DgS5RfHw7xA82Yxa5BtgZL65ngwSk6bmm
ETH: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
LTC: LSZsFCLUreXAZ9oyc9JRUiRwbhkLCsFi4q
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino