Mech Warrior 5 mercs -

Bassomatic

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net

I am a huge battletech fan, I have been since a child, playing the TT, CCG and all the computer games. I was heart broken when MW5 was scrapped for MWO but now we will have a proper MW5 mercs Apparently it's taking place in 3015
not sure why a Raven is in the video then

There's going to be a new fore front mech the roughneck, it's a fat non jumping Shad. I'm guessing because the iconic clanners won't be in it. But all the unseen/seen/reseen drama is over so I'm not sure why they want to fore front a mech that's pretty awful on paper.

Edit: http://www.mw5mercs.com/

Last edited:

Bassomatic

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Yes apparently it'll be a lot like 2, with forming and running your own corp unlike 4 mercs, you'll have random missions as well as a progressing story.

3015 places it in 3SW era. I'm hoping they take a cue from 2 and include a huge amount of mechs in the game vs 10-15.

Bassomatic

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Forgive double posting but : http://www.pcgamer.com/mechwarrior-5/

zero mirco transations, MP will be MWO. Sandboxy elements. AWWW yea. Game apparently ends at 3049, so you clanner scum fan boys can get your fix.

God remember in MW2 mercs ending in Luthien, was so god damn epic. I really hope since you contract to houses like MW2mercs, they have some real flavor related issues like cappies always fucking you over. Any time you see a Lyran, it's a scout Banshee etc.

Splendid

Castigat ridendo mores
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Man, when will we ever get a nice game set after 4000?
Anyways, I'm interested to see that other people here play MW. Does anyone here play the tabletop game on megamek?

Bassomatic

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Time line is 3145 right now so I dunno, they are claiming a 50 and 200 soon, probably a time warp to 200. I play mega mek a bunch and with a group on 4chan's /tg/ they run a thread and it's the go to place for BT talk, since the OF is so toxic.

Since we are talking about MW series, the mektek pack for MW4 is out there and still awesome to mess with, adds a ton of mechs BA as well.

Being ending in 3049 we won't get some of the newer tech or chassis. What are some you'd like to see pop up? For me #1 Enforcer (I have one on my desk at work) Thud's being close second. Javelin would be a nice scout addition.

I'd love some nods to earlier in the timeline and series, crossing paths with the Blazing Aces (mw1) or Crescent Hawks.

Bassomatic

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Whoops, my bad, I meant after 3100, not 4000.
Everything post 3100- is so weird right now. I think they are leaving Mech assault to cover the Jihad for a while and that's a shame because next to MW series it's still light on lore. I'd love to get my hands on some of the goodies like SBGRs it's a GREAT time for mercs because everyone is infighting and while MW4 makes you think so, it was more for game play, in 31XX clan tech is pretty common to most houses.

This early I'd like to see Blasers pop up though.

My guess why this and the turn based are so early is to grab fans "from the start"

c-no

Duck
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Never played Mechwarrior but this game has my interest, especially since it kinda reminds me of Armored Core sans boosting. Also, this kinda brings Smokedaddy to mind. Be interesting to know his thoughts on this if he were still alive.

Bassomatic

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Jump jets are a thing in Battle tech, it's no where as agile or flashy as AC (I enjoy that series as well) I'm sure it won't be in the game but in BT you can use your Jets as an improvised flame thrower in melee.

I'm sure because they would be pure rubbish we won't see quads come. I dunno how they could adapt them for the game to not be walking bait.

Bassomatic

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
There's not a ton of updating but if anyone plays MWO: the new feature mech the roughneck (a fatter shittier non jumping Shad-2h) is out and the spec sheets for MWO and TT use are out, being based of MWO it's safe to assume what it'll look like for MW5.

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Roughneck

My thoughts (as a TT player):
For a mech made to be cheap it's sure ammo hungry on all it's lay outs. Like all the games it has "free" CASE. It's a pretty common house rule to keep easy deaths out in 3025 play.

1A- (standard layout)
It's too fat and slow to really dedicate to inf hunting so 3MGs is absurd. It's got enough ammo (too much for MG rather run 1ton and a spare SL you have room for it)

1B Little longer range but still a trooper attempt
I much rather wait for them to get a bit closer and hit with an ac10 vs the range a 5 gives you, 3 tons of ammo is pretty great esp with alt ammo but 5's don't really do well with what you'd need from a sniper like AP. Granted this could slaughter Vees. You lose two sinks and add a touch more missile punch, but could be better with 2 tons of ammo, you have room for infernos so no need for all those MGs

1C
Some baffling attempt at a missile boat, running 2 SRM6s and focused around an LRM 10 You get an AC5 as well. The long range weapons get a single ton of ammo, you'd be better off with more ammo on the LRM esp and a swap to 5s. You are down to 2 MGs and no energy, down to standard 10 sinks and a boost in armor since you'd need to charge in to really do much of anything. It's like a crummier faster way to brawl with a catapult.

2A (because poor people get XL engines)
Twin AC2s make it feel like a black jack and not in the quirky fun that is a BJ you drop the MGs and keep the head laser using free tons to push it up to a med, then throwing two in the CT for some decent punch if armless. You get 3 freaking tons of SRM ammo for a single 4, that's 1 (or really 2 in this case) tons too many and 3 for the twin ACs. To give it some Drac flavor it's got only 14 SHSs

3A
Oh boy an energy boat finally and semi non exceptional Get 18 DHS to play with so let's get cooking with gas twin PPCs in the arms and a brace of 4 MLs in the side torsos, as a nod to Banshees and Hauptmen everywhere you keep that head mounted SL. For TT play it's way over sunk, but it's pretty clear this and the others were really speced for the games.

Lastly: the Hero/Unique REAVER
Because we needed at least one munchkin mech This one has most of the clan era goodies, DHS ES and XL engine. Ultra AC5 in each arm is a fun nasty way to get 20 points out at some range, if the dice love you can force PSRs pretty far out, as the enemy closes twin LLs really tempting them to retreat a bit and while your GS stays the same, if they close that gap you get 2 MLs and a SSRM 2 to exploit all those nice holes you've put in them. You shed some armor for this but it's a Solaris mech, the best defense is a good offense.

My take, it's clearly not transferring well over to the table. the Reaver would be a hoot and you could run throw all your Meds one LL and keep heat even Might as well risk it on your SSRM since there will be a hole in most anything after that blast. +2 heat ain't no thang.

If anyone wants I can take a crack to make one that holds the flavor and doesn't suck.

Last edited:

Yaoi Zowie

kiwifarms.net
brb, buying a HOTAS setup.

Giant robots are cool in general, but there's something about big stompy grungy death boxes that I like about Battletech way more than a lot of the fay Japanese stuff. MWO was cool but the fun of the battletech games comes from the simulation part for me, and playing with a joystick was straight up worse than mouse+keyboard as far as I could tell. The Mercs games are 100% my jam.

Now all I need is another good Front Mission to atone for that fucking abomination of a PS3 game. Come on, karmic justice.

Bassomatic

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
So wants to form Kiwi company on multi-player?
I'd so be down.

As of now though they do not offer it, it's a shame because being based on MWO it's got the setup to build matches etc. While I'm glad they are focusing on the SP aspect, to not give a chance to do missions with friends is kinda a down side.

It could also be locked down to only missions, so MWO isn't hurt by it. I think it's more than a fair compromise.

An MP campaign would be so fun, all us debating who gets the last SRM6. Upgrading rides and saving a few bucks because well, we need to pay for travel so I guess someone is going into battle missing an arm.

Splendid

Castigat ridendo mores
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I wish that there would be a moddable steel battalion esque thing for pc. If farming simulator can sell $200 controllers, a mach game sure as hell can.

Tags
None