Mech Warrior 5 mercs -

RadicalCentrist

kiwifarms.net

SiccDicc

I can't throw people out of windows anymore :(
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
All the hype really died off after that Epic store exclusive crap lol. It came out today if anybody has an Epic account. Feel free to say if it is good or bad because I don't have an account and will not get one anytime soon.
I wonder if it will even survive the year until its Steam release.

Splendid

Castigat ridendo mores
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Yeah, I had to get The Outer Worlds on the windows store to avoid Epic's crap.

Observotron

kiwifarms.net
All the hype really died off after that Epic store exclusive crap lol. It came out today if anybody has an Epic account. Feel free to say if it is good or bad because I don't have an account and will not get one anytime soon.
Not that I really care too much about timed exclusivity for the EPIC store (I have less time to play games as it is now, so I can wait on most things), but it seems like a bad look now. Haven't most of the games with exclusivity been disappointing? Seems like most devs that take the deal already know the games aren't going to be amazing and use it as an easy cash out. That's not inherently bad; it's very good for devs, it's just bad for consumers.

Splendid

Castigat ridendo mores
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I do kind of enjoy this weird situation where consumers are boycotting to ensure a more our less monopolistic situation continues due in part to the leading company in the market being really good at its job.

Bassomatic

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
So this went dark, I have about 30 hours into MW5, mixed feelings.

First of all I love it because it's MW second the engine makes you feel like you're driving a giant fucking robot. It's just fun it's great looking. Games fun, it's hard if you shit at games.

Story is very simple, but works. I liked that.

I'm not thrilled with OEM mech bays. It's dumb, to fear META on comp. I see what they were trying to do but eh. I'm not thrilled, this game will be a 10/10 with mods.

I love the force feel in engine. I was running a hunchie 4g (ac20) seared an arm and torso off a spider and it fell freaking out, it felt so real. It was selling.

Rolled a few games its just fun. Not perfect but I think mods can make it such in my draw.

Any BT fan NEEDS this mecha fans 8/10 any gamer lower rate.

Homoerotic Cougar-kun

Kill the meat, save the metal
kiwifarms.net
It makes my computer sound like a jet airliner taking off and my rig is not particularly anemic.

Also I hate the MechLab as it currently is, mods will fix tho.

Weapons sound nice, I appreciate them including "Burst fire" ACs (how they're supposed to be) and I like the "feel" of walking around in a 5 story tall killbot but enemies mass-spawning behind you is annoying.

Bassomatic

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Yeah, I didn't put too much effort into my post since I'm lazy, was drunk and not too many people seemed to care about this thread, but I do have to agree, about the vee spam.

In canon, vees are all over and this was kinda cool at first you'd see one light mech and a dozen J edgers etc, but it just doesn't bleed over too well esp playing a few dozen drops you just get sick of it. Granted I do like they aren't comically lame like in MW4, some are scary but again being spammed them it's getting old pretty quick, you know who/what to target deal ignore some etc.

It'll be a much better game modded. The weapon lab still irks me esp early when hunting for replacements etc.

Bassomatic

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Forgive double post but wanted to push up as new info comes out.

Mods are already dropping for the game, including one a friend is beta testing right now and I can say having seen it the HPPC is gonna be DOPE.

I haven't had time to sink much into it more, still over all mostly happy because it's giant robots smashing each other and that brings me joy, but I have very very high hopes for the mod community to improve the game into what I've been hoping for.

Homoerotic Cougar-kun

kiwifarms.net
What's so bad about the mechlab? Lol I didn't even know this came out, my expectations were so low
It has a pointless "weapons/details" switch on it but that's a minor annoyance. Mech customization is shit at the moment with the base game, instead of equip relying on crit slots to allocate space you have hardlocked hardpoints for various sized equipment. It incorporates the WORST parts of MW4's system and MWO's system. If they had stuck with MWO's system I would probably be complaining a lot less, as at least there I could swap engines if I wanted. There's basically no way to make the vast majority of light mechs worth using for any length of time as they all mount heavy standard engines and move only marginally faster than mediums. Cicadas are absolutely and totally worthless, as are Firestarters, most Locusts (though they ARE Locusts), Urbies, etc. The only mechs I've seen that clearly have XLs are not lights, the class that wrings the most benefit from the XL. I know it's 3015 in-game but not having XLs for lights (or Cicadas/Assassins) makes them really, really bad.

I encountered a bug with the Davion special mission on Mallory's Rift (I suspect this happens elsewhere) where I could not exit my dropship because the damn thing was sunken into the ground, blocking my exit. Save constantly and be prepared to write off entire missions if the mission spawn is bugged.

Advice: get the Hunchbacks whenever you can. Hunchies are good with their STD engines and can carry great payloads and excellent armor for a 50 tonner. They're slow but there is practically ZERO reason to be super fast in this game aside from sheer convenience. Most mechs worth having are not fast. Centurions are OK as well. SRMs spread like crazy, are almost not worth having unless you get Artemis IV enabled SRMs which weigh more. LRMs are really only useful because of their range, they spread heavily unless you luck out and find Streamfire LRMs somewhere. PPCs are godly because they have no minimum range for some reason, but annoying because they cause a sensor interference effect within 90m of wherever they hit EVEN IF THE PPC WAS FIRED BY A FRIENDLY (don't give to teammates unless you like being annoyed by fritzed sensors constantly). AC2s are largely pointless as nothing can boat them in sufficient numbers to achieve proper dakka without sacrificing heavily. The Thunderbolts are reasonably solid heavies, and if you're lucky you'll see some Grasshoppers for sale early on.

Mechs to absolutely avoid purchasing, EVER: Dragon, Shadow Hawk, Wolverine, Assassin, Cicada, pretty much anything Light. There are obviously subpar variants of numerous mechs, but the rule is almost always "More hardpoints, better" as at times there's almost no meaningful distinction between one variant and another other than "less hardpoints". JagerMechs are also bad (though I ROFLstomped enemies with a slightly-tweaked JagerMech-S without the AC2s and with a LOT more armor).

Do not take Defense missions if you can help it. Friendly AIs will mindlessly demolish the buildings you're defending while chasing enemies.

Vagabond camo doesn't work right on the Battlemaster for some reason. No fucking idea why.

You will almost NEVER need more than 2 tons of ammo for your primary weapon TOPS in any mission unless you spray and pray. I have slogged through Warzone missions for many waves and failed to deplete a single ton of AC20 ammo. Ammo is either way too plentiful or just right depending on how you want to look at it I guess.

Store ammo in legs and/or head when possible. Enemies tend to shoot at arms and torsi most often and ammo explosions are goddamned annoying and costly.

Hero mechs are rarely worth it. The Cyclops hero is an exception, as that thing is whoopass on two legs. Swap out the Gauss rifles for AC20s and brawl things to death. The Blackjack hero is funny because LOL Machinegun spam and is surprisingly punchy at its weight because massed MGs do hurt as long as you're in range. The Marauder hero is slow but can dish out ungodly amounts of pain with an AC20 and a bunch of lasers or PPCs.

Missions in general are very repetitive. There are no recon/intel gathering type missions that would reward not smashing things to bits or otherwise being sneaky and fast. Everything is a slugging match, so bring the biggest, slowest stick you can.

Did I mention AI is pretty braindead? Most enemies will mindlessly try to "Circle Of Death" on you to the point where they'll collide with rockfaces and stop dead mid-circle. Mechs with range/speed advantages won't try and keep that advantage - they'll close and brawl just like any other.

Veespam is ridiculous though the only remotely scary things are Manticores and maybe AC5 Partisans. Igors are just damned annoying.

There is another weird bug where some mechs will be damaged by you placing them in Cold Storage.

Homoerotic Cougar-kun

kiwifarms.net
UPDATE (apologies for D-post but I can't edit at this point): It's Marlowe's Rift that has the bugged Davion mission start spawn.

Quickdraws are OK robots but not great, the hero quickdraw has some potential though as it's not saddled with a massive standard engine like the other variants.
Phoenix Hawks are fragile but decent robots (they have XLs, so they can swing good payloads of weaponry and heat sinks).
Catapults are decent, though you'll be replacing their missile hardpoints frequently because of enemy targeting priority. The Hunchback J is still almost better at the job, honestly. The Catapult-K2 has some potential, but good luck finding any outside of Kuritan space. The hero Catapult is decent but not great, needs DHS to shine.

Not being able to sell from cold storage is annoying and an obvious oversight by devs (what a surprise).

Verdict so far: Don't buy this game. Might not even be worth sailing the high seas for. Yahtzee was actually TOO NICE to it in his ZP review.

EDIT: the Kintaro hero is amazing. If you see it, get it. Even though SRMs spread damage like crazy the Kintaro simply carries a bunch of them to make up for it. Chainfire SRMs into legs and collect mad salvage. Plus it comes with Double Heatsinks which are rarer than hen's teeth so far.

Last edited:

Homoerotic Cougar-kun

kiwifarms.net
Does this game have anything over mw4?
No. Nothing. It's a trainwreck and if I had known it was going to be this much of a shitpile I would have refunded early.

Cole Harbour campaign mission is utter bullshit. You're allowed a drop weight of 260 tons, it's a defense mission and they chuck multiple waves of heavies and assaults at you. I've tried it like 4 times now and if it's winnable I'd have to be shown how. (Seriously, I counted 2 Victor-9A1s, an Awesome-8R, a Jager-S, a Catapult-A1, a Battlemaster-1G, plus a handful of lights and mediums. The Victors hurt really bad.)

You can't save mech profiles in campaign mode at all. Meaning when you swap mechs into and out of cold storage you have to sit there fiddling with them over and over again. This combined with the cold storage damage bug means putting mechs in cold storage is a bad idea, but if you leave mechs out of cold storage you get dinged in fees.

Lancemate AI is utterly braindead. They don't focus weak components or do obvious shit like "shoot the Centurion's fucking autocannon arm off". They don't twist away damage, they're sluggish to respond to target calls and basically they're meat shields and not even good at that.

Everything, and I mean everything takes too damn long. The cost/time penalties for refits/repairs in conflict zones is ridiculous.

Multi-part missions are not worth the time and effort, especially if they have defense components. They will grind your mechs to dust in exchange for paltry bonuses on negotiation.

Enemy spawns in general seem to be designed to frustrate the player as much as possible. You just got done cleaning up an enemy lance on one side of the defense target? Guess what, now there's a fresh lance on the other side of the defense target. And they'll hammer the defense target while you run over there (and your lancemates run THROUGH the defense target, trashing it worse). Repeat ad nauseam.

Player spawns on some missions are way too far from where the action starts for no reason I can think of. I spent what felt like minutes slogging through empty terrain on Cole Harbour to get to the target area in my big clunky Stalker.

There is almost no reason to bother mounting jump jets as they offer little beyond convenience/shits and giggles. Poptarting is not really a viable strategy in anything but a niche stationary slugging match scenario, the mobility they offer is pathetic and the weight is better spent on heatsinks or armor.

AMS systems aren't worth shit. They don't stop missile salvos cold like they did in MW3 but still have depletable ammo, AND they're rare. Skip them. The Catapult hero that mounts two of them is a joke.

Bassomatic

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Yeah, I haven't put as much time into this as I want to. But now mods are coming out, it's getting nicer.

I'm hoping this turns to be like HBS BT and a solid enough building block. I really wanted this to be perfect, but well it's not.

One thing I don't think gets mentioned enough, is being engines are fixed assaults are just too damn slow for anything. Like annoyingly slow esp late game 2000 meters in an Anny, is well you can brew a cup of tea before the shooting starts.

@Homoerotic Cougar-kun thank you for your info and beating me to the punch. I've been crazy busy and not a big gamer so while I adore BT and MW series I'm probably not best person for unbias reviews.

Reactions: Allakazam223

Snekposter

kiwifarms.net
According to Sarna that 32kph speed is proper for the Annihilator. Given it was designed to be a 100 ton UrbanMech and has the firepower of two heavy mechs in one platform, I have no real complaints. What really annoys me is all of the 54kph Assault mechs that are 48kph in the game for whatever stupid reason, like the Atlas, Highlander, Stalker, etc. And then the 81kph mechs like the Quickdraw should be 86. And yes, similar complaints about the Mechlab and spawns from me.
How fucking braindead are you, your company, and IE to not make the hilariously obvious connections between your father and the Wolf's Dragoons? Its fucking 3015 at game start and they've been operating as the Inner Sphere's premier merc unit for 10 years! Hell, you even learn that ComStar has been tracking strange movements into the IS from the Periphery, and at the very end Ryana and Fahad talk about the possible return of Kerensky's forces, completely forgetting the presence of one Natasha Kerensky that should have raised some serious fucking eyebrows among them. Okay, rant over.

Homoerotic Cougar-kun

kiwifarms.net
According to Sarna that 32kph speed is proper for the Annihilator. Given it was designed to be a 100 ton UrbanMech and has the firepower of two heavy mechs in one platform, I have no real complaints. What really annoys me is all of the 54kph Assault mechs that are 48kph in the game for whatever stupid reason, like the Atlas, Highlander, Stalker, etc. And then the 81kph mechs like the Quickdraw should be 86. And yes, similar complaints about the Mechlab and spawns from me.
How fucking braindead are you, your company, and IE to not make the hilariously obvious connections between your father and the Wolf's Dragoons? Its fucking 3015 at game start and they've been operating as the Inner Sphere's premier merc unit for 10 years! Hell, you even learn that ComStar has been tracking strange movements into the IS from the Periphery, and at the very end Ryana and Fahad talk about the possible return of Kerensky's forces, completely forgetting the presence of one Natasha Kerensky that should have raised some serious fucking eyebrows among them. Okay, rant over.
Annies are supposed to be slow, yeah, but in anything but a "stand in this city/fortified complex and shoot the bejesus out of anything that comes near you" situation the Annie is kind of unfun. Even in Defense missions, lacking mobility is a serious pain due to how the game likes to alternate drop locations on some missions - never mind getting to the defense target in the first place.

Tags
None