Mechanical Keyboard Autism Thread - Because Cherry MX switches get you laid.

LazarusOwenhart

Terrainist Shitlord!
kiwifarms.net
So who loves PC keyboards? I'm currently rocking a vintage Acorn board with Alps key switches which makes playing FPS games amazing.

I also have a Corsair with Red Cherry MX switches and a tenkeyless board made by a company called Geezer that uses clones of Cherry Blues. I tend not to daily drive these because the Corsair is just a bit meh and the Geezer feels incredible but makes a stupendous amount of noise.

Long story short, sperg about your keyboards. If you post an image of some membrane shit then fuck you. If you mention the IBM Model M then also fuck you because that shits expensive and I don't have one.

REGENDarySumanai

Poopie
Local Moderator
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I remember seeing a true and honest IBM Model M in the flesh and touching the keys. It felt amazing. One of these days I should get a keyboard with cherry switches and replace all the switches in them with these, but that seems like a dream.

• Feels
Reactions: BlueSpark

LazarusOwenhart

Terrainist Shitlord!
kiwifarms.net
I remember seeing a true and honest IBM Model M in the flesh and touching the keys. It felt amazing. One of these days I should get a keyboard with cherry switches and replace all the switches in them with these, but that seems like a dream.
Get a board with Cherry clones then replace the keys. You can pick up a Cherry clone for basically nothing. I wouldn't advise super blacks though, they're a hard press key and typing with them is effort.

LazarusOwenhart

Terrainist Shitlord!
kiwifarms.net
I bought this keyboard last month, and I'm in love with it... SO much better than those shitty dell default keyboards that come with the towers.

This is what it looks like but you can change the colors. I made mine all red, because red is my favorite color! 😁
View attachment 1446303
It's a nice looking board. If you're a confident solderer pull the back off and have a look at the switch connections. They're likelyt cherry clones and you can probably replace them with significantly better switches and make that thing REALLY special. If not just enjoy it, mechanical boards are amazing.

Sgt. Pinback

Here, boy! Want your mouse?
kiwifarms.net
I used to have a 1986 Model M that had an AT plug that I first used with an AT/PS2 adapter, and then later plugged *that* into a PS2/USB comverter, and it all seemed to work somehow. I lost it in a move. :stress:

AJneedsElocution

Always outsmarted,never out reeeee'd
kiwifarms.net
Im currently using one of these(A KBT poker 2), i pulled the guts out the standard plastic case and placed it a nice thick aluminum case too,i was lucky to source one with the UK iso layout at a dirt cheap price aswell :)

kbt.JPG

LazarusOwenhart

Terrainist Shitlord!
kiwifarms.net
Im currently using one of these(A KBT poker 2), i pulled the guts out the standard plastic case and placed it a nice thick aluminum case too,i was lucky to source one with the UK iso layout at a dirt cheap price aswell :)

View attachment 1446302
Damn that's tiny. I used to strive for small boards but then Wing Commander IV came out on GoG and I needed a numpad.

• Feels
Reactions: AJneedsElocution

AJneedsElocution

Always outsmarted,never out reeeee'd
kiwifarms.net
Damn that's tiny. I used to strive for small boards but then Wing Commander IV came out on GoG and I needed a numpad.
Yup,tis a 60% board,i had been using a standard TKL before hand, but even that felt kinda big and awkard for when i was gaming and covering too much of my mouse mat.Everytime i have to use a standard or even a TKL now they feel so unwieldy and clunky.

60% boards arnt for everyone tho tbf,plus this one has 3 programmable layers for macros ect if you need them! Even on the underside it has a switches to change the default layout of windows/alt/FN keys ect and if you are super tistic you can flash firmware to it and make your own layout!

LazarusOwenhart

Terrainist Shitlord!
kiwifarms.net
Yup,tis a 60% board,i had been using a standard TKL before hand, but even that felt kinda big and awkard for when i was gaming and covering too much of my mouse mat.Everytime i have to use a standard or even a TKL now they feel so unwieldy and clunky.

60% boards arnt for everyone tho tbf,plus this one has 3 programmable layers for macros ect if you need them! Even on the underside it has a switches to change the default layout of windows/alt/FN keys ect and if you are super tistic you can flash firmware to it and make your own layout!
Like I said, I went smaller and smaller but then went back to big when I needed to for retro gaming.

AmpleApricots

kiwifarms.net
6110344.jpg

I used one of these for a while together with a microcontroller who translates the kind of more uncommon PS/2 stuff it puts out to USB. Mine is from 1987. They're unbreakable, not even the plastic on the keys gets shiny with time. It took up too much room though and while for some stuff (especially games, specific editors and such) the additional F-Row (F13-24) was useful I generally struggled to really find a use for the additional keys and missed the taken up room. (It's huge) It was a never-used left-over from a company in the building of a company I worked for who kinda threw old stuff out. Took me years to finally got around to the microcontroller only to find out later somebody else already did it and also better. They were inteded to go with the IBM 3270, which was an IBM XT that came with emulation software to be used just like a terminal, but was also "smart" enough to be used as a standalone PC. I tried it on several PCs and OSes and it didn't really work properly directly with any of them although it's technically kind of a PS/2 board because amongst other things it didn't signal when a key is released IIRC. Also heaps of problems with Linux and the keyboard configuration. It weights 5 kg. (10 pounds)

1308174_0__8918895.jpg
Currently I'm using a small Cherry ML4100 I got for about 20 bucks or so. I like it and I feel Cherry ML switches are underrated. I wouldn't pay the $70 or so it costs new tho, you get better stuff in that price range. One key already kinda lost the print a little and I've only been using it for like, 2-3 years. Because of the small size very nice to take apart and clean though. I'd wish there were more keyboards with that particular layout, it takes getting used to but I actually find it nice. These smaller 60% or 65 or whatever keyboards are a bit too small and lack too many keys for my taste.

Reactions: 3119967d0c

Plastic Inevitable

Actually not a TERF
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Despite having used mechanichal keyboards for ages (because I am an old) I still couldn't bring myself to buy a high-end keyboard until I decided for sure that I really liked them... so I got this Red Dragon K556 with Outemu brown Cherry MX clones. And I like it a lot, but I don't know if I'd ever drop the cash on a spendy keyboard, I'm too hard on them -- although this one got a full hot water bath after a spill and it still works a treat.

Edit: Oh and I got my boyfriend a K582 with Outemu red switches for his birthday. He seems to like it, although it sounds just as clicky as my brown switch keyboard does...

Last edited:
Reactions: General Disarray

Drain Todger

Unhinged Doomsayer
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
My keyboard autism is limitless. I have a Topre RealForce 104UG HiPro and a Topre RealForce R2 PFU Limited Edition. I also have a number of Filco Majestouches, a couple Minila Airs, and a Keywalker bluetooth mechanical, mostly with MX Reds, some with replacement keycaps. I have a Unicomp Customizer and an IBM Model M 1391401 as well. I also have a Metadot Das Keyboard with blank keycaps. I recently picked up a Koolertron split keyboard with MX Blues.

When I got my Model M, they were selling on eBay for $40 to $70 depending on the state of repair they were in. Now, they're going for $170 to $220ish, which is kinda ridiculous considering how ancient they are. Unicomp makes a USB-cabled Model M replica, the Customizer 104, using the same Lexmark tooling as the originals. However, they are lighter and lack the original Model M's steel backplate, and they feel more flexible and slightly less positive as a result. Having both a Customizer 104 and a Model M side-by-side, I can say that the original feels noticeably better.

• Winner
Reactions: Spergenschütz

Homersexual

kiwifarms.net
I don't know what kind of switches I have in my keyboard but if your switches differ from mine you are a fucking subhuman gayfaggot retard and you should neck yourself.

General Disarray

engine go braaaaap
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I've got the Velocifire T11 full size backlit with Zorro brown switches (my very first mech!)

I like it, it has good action. It's also colorful and was very affordable. The keycaps come off easily; sometimes a bit TOO easily. I use it on top of my laptop board and it's lasted me a couple of years so far (and still looks practically new!)

1594687247327.png

Reactions: BlueSpark

Kosher Dill

Potato Chips
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I'm partial to the GMMK:
Minimal design, hot-swappable everything, Cherry stabilizers. Only flaw is that there's no right Win key. I use Gateron blue switches because I do whatever I want and don't care who I annoy.

Those of you who have hideous keycaps (you know who you are), I recommend the DSS Dolch set from Signature Plastics.

Vic Viper T301

Commencing attack on the enemy
kiwifarms.net
Way back when Starcraft 2 came out I saw people hyping up mechanical keyboards and I dropped about $100 on one. Can't remember the brand as this was a decade ago. It was good for about a month, then I started getting phantom inputs, took me a long time to realize because it was so random that I thought I was going crazy but I was eventually able to confirm it by seeing keys I clearly wasn't hitting popping up when I was typing in Notepad. Got a refund and bought a replacement for $10 on Amazon, which I am using to type this post. Never saw a reason to switch. I guess my keyboard autism is not so strong.

Tags
None