War Meet ‘Dissenter’: A far-right ‘comment section’ for hating on journalists -

Jaimas

Autism War Correspondent
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Bitch, we'd prefer to insult your idiocy in public, but you block anyone that tangentially disagrees.

Does anyone else find it hilarious that Dissenter started as a project Google worked on before its big marketing associates killed it, only to be revived by that Gab guy?

JimmerSnail

Waaaay too serious
kiwifarms.net
Sorry about the double post.
It appears that some idiots haven't been using Dissenter properly, so much that they've had to put this banner, which also links to the Gab's community guidelines (<tinfoil>or maybe it was some leftist vigilante pretending to be a rightwing extremist so they'll take this tool down. What a genius, if that's the (very unlike) case</tinfoil>):

This is probably related to the NZ's shooting, due to that psycho spewing a load of memes (and now people look at me weird whenever I quote a meme. No,really, thank you, idiot. And also the Italian Television\Radio now broadcasts all kind of Left propaganda. No,seriously.)

Lou Wrong

Butthurt about Buddyloids
kiwifarms.net
I checked Dissenter earlier this week to see what interesting info was being posted and all the comments were on youtube videos by nobodies. What a good idea thats being wasted here.

edit: I check it again and its suddenly good, though it still needs a layout update. I guess something must have happened recently to make people want to get around censorship?

Last edited:

Recon

Tactical Autism Response Division
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I checked Dissenter earlier this week to see what interesting info was being posted and all the comments were on youtube videos by nobodies. What a good idea thats being wasted here.

edit: I check it again and its suddenly good, though it still needs a layout update. I guess something must have happened recently to make people want to get around censorship?
Over the last 3 years, it seems like every news site on the planet with a significant following has turned off comments & feedback. I think that's what really spurred it on. There were always people calling out shit journos in the comments sections of cesspools like VICE - sometimes to great effect.
Rather than hire talent, rather than hold themselves to a higher standard, news sites doubled down on clickbait and turned off all their comments.
Dissenter made a splash because a lot of folks'd been shut up against their will for a long time.

Jaimas

Autism War Correspondent
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I think the reason it's doing so well is that it basically piggybacks on Social Media and lets people do directly what we do here on the Farms: take the piss.

Got some shithead on Twitter going on about how the solution to all problems is to kill white people? Dissenter lets you comment on that. Some dipshit puts a mockery-worthy post up on Buzzfeed and disables all responses? Dissenter lets you comment. See an article up on some site that uses Disqus as the comment engine and the OP labels anything that isn't 100% in lockstep spam? Dissenter bypasses that shit. Some group taking shit too seriously on a subreddit and baleeting anyone who disparages their autistic headcanons? Dissenter gives a way to mock that.

Not really interested in it since that's basically what I use the Farms for, but it's a good idea and if it pisses off the usual suspects that's enough for me to raise a glass to it.

DanteAlighieri

Anti authoritarian asshole asshole
kiwifarms.net
I think the reason it's doing so well is that it basically piggybacks on Social Media and lets people do directly what we do here on the Farms: take the piss.
Now that you mention it, what would be really nice for a similar program is if commenting on a page using the program would create a corresponding thread on a forum, be it Gab, Voat, Kiwifarms (plus archive!).

So a Kiwifarms version that basically extends the A&H thread to the article would be pretty cool.

Ineedahero

kiwifarms.net
Sorry about the double post.
It appears that some idiots haven't been using Dissenter properly, so much that they've had to put this banner, which also links to the Gab's community guidelines (<tinfoil>or maybe it was some leftist vigilante pretending to be a rightwing extremist so they'll take this tool down. What a genius, if that's the (very unlike) case</tinfoil>):
View attachment 695990
This is probably related to the NZ's shooting, due to that psycho spewing a load of memes (and now people look at me weird whenever I quote a meme. No,really, thank you, idiot. And also the Italian Television\Radio now broadcasts all kind of Left propaganda. No,seriously.)
A) how many memes have you been dropping in public that you summed it up with 'whenever I quote a meme'?
B) why are you dropping memes in public?

JimmerSnail

Waaaay too serious
kiwifarms.net
A) how many memes have you been dropping in public that you summed it up with 'whenever I quote a meme'?
B) why are you dropping memes in public?
A) When I was with friends, and it usually is the common one-liner without making weird noises nor moving like a tard.
B) Because I was with friends at a place and it was on topic.

Last edited:

CharlesBarkley

kiwifarms.net
Over the last 3 years, it seems like every news site on the planet with a significant following has turned off comments & feedback.
It's hard to accept criticism when your article on the Guardian about how 4chan, Gamergate and white men is responsible for all violent gang rapes is made fun of by people with funny cartoon avatars.

greengrilledcheese

kiwifarms.net
Over the last 3 years, it seems like every news site on the planet with a significant following has turned off comments & feedback.
It's part of (((their))) plan. I touched on it in this TDS thread post.

https://web.archive.org/web/20181015034247/http://www.atlanticcouncil.org/images/publications/Sovereign_Challenge_Report_091718_web.pdf
As professional curators and gatekeepers dwindle and are replaced by self-appointed and unaccountable ones, individuals are forced to assess information in ways for which they are not trained.
/
While “fact” and “truth” are often considered synonymous, they actually have very different meanings in this discussion. The commonly held definition of “facts” are that they objectively exist in reality, regardless of belief, culture, or other consideration. They cannot be logically disputed. “Truth” on the other hand is made up of facts, but can be tempered by beliefs and interpretation. As such, two people can draw two different “truths” from the same set of facts.
/
This means they should consider disabling commentary systems—the function of allowing the general public to leave comments beneath a particular media item—and be careful to refer to the spreading of false information and providing a fact-based correction without explicitly repeating the false message itself.

Reactions: Recon

heathercho

あかんで !
kiwifarms.net
A lot of media outlets have turned off the comments section, because no one was commenting bar the people in the article who were being misrepresented.
They didn't like the lack of engagement demonstrating how their medium was dying and they didn't like their lies being pointed out right to their faces.

At least that was the case where I worked previously. A higher engagement was on Twitter, but not by much if it was just a non-outrage inducing article.

Smaug's Smokey Hole

30 nights of day
kiwifarms.net
A lot of media outlets have turned off the comments section, because no one was commenting bar the people in the article who were being misrepresented.
They didn't like the lack of engagement demonstrating how their medium was dying and they didn't like their lies being pointed out right to their faces.

At least that was the case where I worked previously. A higher engagement was on Twitter, but not by much if it was just a non-outrage inducing article.
Yeah why would anyone comment on a news site where they would just get banned immediately? Why post in the comment section of a really dumb article exposing people who posts wrongthink on the internet or something like that?

For more than a decade news media have worked hard to shut people up with extreme moderating or by shutting down the comment sections(per "sensitive" article/oped that can't be criticized or site wide on everything). Now that engagement is the name of the game they have fucked themselves over, anyone could have told them that would happen but they had devised a system where they no longer had to listen to things they didn't want to hear, welp.

They have to run "commenting on or criticizing news is bad and evil and should be left to professionals" because they're deeply entrenched in the business model where only they have a voice with reach.a

moocow

Moo.
kiwifarms.net
Wham bam double banned from both Chrome and Firefox simultaneously:

Damn. They're not even hiding it anymore. Then again I suppose they've been out in the open about cheerfully censoring wrongthink for a couple years now. It's just gotten so brazen lately.

Sigh. I figured this was coming, but god dammit this is something I desperately wanted to be wrong about.

For anyone who cares, you can still install the extension manually in both browsers. The download page provides instructions.

Secret Asshole

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
2016 has made them lose their minds, literally. They think by banning all wrong-think they can make this go away. The thing is that this is not possible. People will always generate ideas and when you try to silence them for little to no reason, that only reinforces their viewpoints.

Google acts all high and mighty, but they were participating with the Chinese government to restrict freedoms. Both companies are pieces of shit.

Silicon valley erroneously thinks that its technocrats can make a utopia. They're arrogant pieces of shit. Eventually I think the internet is going to 'fork' because of shit like this. They're eradicating ways to compete and they just do not care.

Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1DgS5RfHw7xA82Yxa5BtgZL65ngwSk6bmm
ETH: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
LTC: LSZsFCLUreXAZ9oyc9JRUiRwbhkLCsFi4q
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino