Mega Rad Gun Thread -

The Dude

My dad says that's for pussies.
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
the zip 22 was designed from the get-go as an under barrel firearm. The dumbass who designed it forgot to add an extractor.
The big tragedy about that is that the company used to make THE BEST Single Action Army-style revolvers made. Even better than real Colt SAAs. And their owner completely fucked the whole company because of that failed abortion of a gun. I mean, fuck, they were even made in Colt's old "Blue Dome" factory. I really wanted to get one, but when I finally had the scratch they had ended production in favor of that poorly-designed plastic hunk of shit.

Damocles_Sword

Shovelmech Pilot
kiwifarms.net
The big tragedy about that is that the company used to make THE BEST Single Action Army-style revolvers made. Even better than real Colt SAAs. And their owner completely fucked the whole company because of that failed abortion of a gun. I mean, fuck, they were even made in Colt's old "Blue Dome" factory. I really wanted to get one, but when I finally had the scratch they had ended production in favor of that poorly-designed plastic hunk of shit.
That's fucking horrible. I've always wanted a good quality SAA and to see some of the best go away over a trashy gimmicky .22 just saddens me.

Anonymous For This

Flying pierogis at vienna.
kiwifarms.net
I have 6 stamps now. Aside wait the ATF hasn't been too bad to deal with really. Granted I know one day they will Ruby Ridge me just because it amuses them.

Also I'm waiting for the new hi point and PSA mp5... ugh waiting sucks and I promised no more toys till they come.
I'm not overly upset about the tax stamp process, but it pisses me off when they cash your check right at getting the form, but then wait months to send your stamp back to you. If you can cash my check, you can send my shit to me.

I'm very excited about the PSA MP5 clone. I would love to have a pistol caliber SBR as a home defense weapon, but I honestly quibble over using a stamped weapon for anything other than range fun.

Bassomatic

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I'm not overly upset about the tax stamp process, but it pisses me off when they cash your check right at getting the form, but then wait months to send your stamp back to you. If you can cash my check, you can send my shit to me.

I'm very excited about the PSA MP5 clone. I would love to have a pistol caliber SBR as a home defense weapon, but I honestly quibble over using a stamped weapon for anything other than range fun.
Depends on your state, in mine they are protected and able to be carried if you can.

Yes I've went and bought tard cum with something with a giggle switch just to say I have. Also I'm far from alone using a can on my HD AR because FUCK is 223 loud indoors.

I'm not trying to be funny, but seriously if you've not had to suffer shooting an AR inside with a shorter barrel, it's enough to jar you. Now that's calm chilling at an indoor range. If you figure in HD I'll be woken up at 2am it'll be dark (can keeps from a muzzle flame too) it's not just to say LOL shot you with a title 2 gun, it's so I have some extra chance if indeed I have to pull the trigger and one rule about gun fights, is stack the deck best you can.

When the PSA clone comes out, if at all it's possible I'll snag a suppressed barrel and make my own mp5SD if not I am not sure if and when I'll get it to SBR because I'll probably get the a2 clone due to looks. Again this all comes once it's able to be touched and ordered, I've shot a2/3 and a K. Lovely guns but the geek in me needs it because PSA is making the locking action just like HK and stamped (super good stamping can be really nice HK has insanely nice machine tools and stamps well).

That being said, I'm pressing some 9x19 tonight sipping bourbon. What all gun stuff is going on with anyone else?

Pocket Dragoon

For one-tenth a soul, or a sexual favor.
kiwifarms.net
That being said, I'm pressing some 9x19 tonight sipping bourbon. What all gun stuff is going on with anyone else?
I got a huge hickory shootin' stump out back that's about shot out, after I don't know how much lead has been dumped into it. Saw a '06 ball squirt through the other day, so the backyard range is now restricted to pistols/.22, until I can build a solid backstop. The cheapest thing I can think of is basically what IV8888 uses.

There's some houses a little over a mile away, on past hilly pasture & thick old hardwoods. Cattle & donkeys ain't often in em; but when they are, they're often concealed behind foliage & terrain, but not exactly covered.

My plan is to cut/dig a little trough as close to the taproot as possible, under the main target area, down to a spot for ye' olde' lead smelter (iron skillet).

Then drop an open-ended 55gal drum on top, fill it full of combustibles, and burn it flat with a leaf-blower to kick it up a notch. Most of the copper & lead should collect in the pan.

Someone has been shootin' what was originally a big knot close to the ground for a long time before I started. And until today, there's probably been at least 1k or more rounds of all types planted in the stump. And here I thought oak stumps were tougher as backstops.

As a small rant, I never shoot at live trees; of all things the enviromentalists & conservation types could agree upon, it's that. I've found some healthy, mighty, old trees that fell or died a few years after being shot at during a plinking session, and it's either bugs or rot that finishes the job. And when those trees are next to structures or powerlines?

The most glaring example I can think of, was a massive fir tree next to my best-friend's grandparent's barn. A couple years ago while I was there, some cousins showed up with .22s, and put maybe a couple dozen into a paper target nailed to the trunk.

And when I stopped by this past spring, saw that a tree probably 100yrs old when the barn was built 75yrs ago, had snapped at eyelevel, and taken out said barn.
Lucky for those cousins, is that they're distant enough to get away with it.

Doggo

Gone.
kiwifarms.net
I'm not big on guns. Not because I don't like or dislike them, I'm fairly neutral. It's just I haven't had all that much exposure to them in my part of the world. That said, I've been watching Forgotten Weapons, a pretty fascinating channel, if I may say so, myself.

Right now, I'm watching a video on a Vietnamese copy of another gun, that doesn't appear to be all that well made. It's still quite interesting to me, though.

Anonymous For This

kiwifarms.net
Depends on your state, in mine they are protected and able to be carried if you can.

Yes I've went and bought tard cum with something with a giggle switch just to say I have. Also I'm far from alone using a can on my HD AR because FUCK is 223 loud indoors.

I'm not trying to be funny, but seriously if you've not had to suffer shooting an AR inside with a shorter barrel, it's enough to jar you. Now that's calm chilling at an indoor range. If you figure in HD I'll be woken up at 2am it'll be dark (can keeps from a muzzle flame too) it's not just to say LOL shot you with a title 2 gun, it's so I have some extra chance if indeed I have to pull the trigger and one rule about gun fights, is stack the deck best you can.

When the PSA clone comes out, if at all it's possible I'll snag a suppressed barrel and make my own mp5SD if not I am not sure if and when I'll get it to SBR because I'll probably get the a2 clone due to looks. Again this all comes once it's able to be touched and ordered, I've shot a2/3 and a K. Lovely guns but the geek in me needs it because PSA is making the locking action just like HK and stamped (super good stamping can be really nice HK has insanely nice machine tools and stamps well).

It isn't so much the legality (Carry & use of stamped weapons is fine in my state.), but the possible headaches involved if a defensive shooting were ever brought up in front of a prosecuting office for whatever reason. I use an Ithaca 37 as my home defense gun. Loaded with #4 buckshot, has one of those barrel/tube light mounts, and a bead sight -- because if you put anything other than a bead on a defensive shotgun, you're an idiot. I like ARs, but realistically I want to pull the trigger once in a defensive shooting. A shotgun is far more likely to incapacitate on the first shot than an AR will.

I have a pair of Peltors sitting on the night stand next to my shotgun. If I don't have three seconds to clamp hearing protection on my head, then I've fucked up every other aspect of home defense. Ultimately I would like a prosecuting office to read "man defends self with shotgun" rather than "man defends self with suppressed short-barreled rifle." Having a stamped weapon might make them look twice, which might mean more legal fees and headaches for me and my insurance. Fuck that, if I can't handle whatever is happening with seven rounds of #4, I'm either fucking famous or fucking dead.

On the subject of PSA's MP5s, I am extremely eager to get my hands on one to SBR it. MP5s just ooze that 80s and 90s SWAT cool that I love so much. Any recommendations on a 9mm can? I'm also considering building a 9mm upper for a Colt SMG (not automatic) build. 9mm subguns are some of the funnest guns out there to shoot.

Reactions: Syaoran Li

Damocles_Sword

Shovelmech Pilot
kiwifarms.net
^ I'll take the ear pro i have hanging off my HD rifle over a stamped legal can, for no other reason than I don't want to give my democrat da, governor, sheriff, and city council a collective boner.

Reactions: Anonymous For This

Sprig of Parsley

Damnation dignified
kiwifarms.net
^ I'll take the ear pro i have hanging off my HD rifle over a stamped legal can, for no other reason than I don't want to give my democrat da, governor, sheriff, and city council a collective boner.
I'd think you'd want the earpro even with a can anyway, unless you were fucking about with nothing bigger than .22LR.

(I didn't really use indoor ranges often and certainly not with intermediate cartridges, so whatever.)

• Agree
Reactions: Bassomatic

Damocles_Sword

Shovelmech Pilot
kiwifarms.net
I'd think you'd want the earpro even with a can anyway, unless you were fucking about with nothing bigger than .22LR.

(I didn't really use indoor ranges often and certainly not with intermediate cartridges, so whatever.)
oh, I'd love to have both in a self defense situation, but the use of a suppressor, like I said, could have some ugly political/law enforcement repercussions, and just ears for 1 or 2 shots inside the house lower the odds of permanent hearing loss signifigantly.

• Agree
Reactions: Bassomatic

Anonymous For This

kiwifarms.net
Both that and I want my neighbors to know there's a party going on at my place and that they're free to invite the police if I haven't already.

• Winner
Reactions: Pocket Dragoon

Bassomatic

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
On the subject of PSA's MP5s, I am extremely eager to get my hands on one to SBR it. MP5s just ooze that 80s and 90s SWAT cool that I love so much. Any recommendations on a 9mm can? I'm also considering building a 9mm upper for a Colt SMG (not automatic) build. 9mm subguns are some of the funnest guns out there to shoot.
Yeah I know reality I'll probably SBR it but one, I'm lazy, two I dunno if you can apply for an SBR on a gun you don't own yet? I probably will want an SBR out of my mp5 tbh. I'll also bite down and do it.

Now to cans, I fucking love liberty https://libertycans.net/ I have a friend that works there and he lets me shoot prototypes and uses me as research (woe is me) but aside my awesome hook up I love how they are made I'm an geek for mechanics and also these are great to clean and tune since I rarely use proper sub sonics I just am trying to save what hearing I have. It's so cool you can stack the can to deal with a larger hotter round or, rebuild it (in seconds mind you) for proper sub sonic and make a whisper out of it.

That being said I also own a gemtech and love it. I've spent time with a lot of cans and I like my hook up and I'm very lucky it's something I get to help direct plan the brand and I find to be the best offerings.

Bassomatic

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
forgive double posting

fuck em my state covers it, civil court who cares because legit some nigger judge will allow you to move on someone farted at you... my state will help me thank goodness, I can cite full autos SBRs DDs used in HD situations where the case comes "lol no".

Aside that I try to think realistically, 223 is fucking LOUD inside trust me, if you've ever fired 308 or something else 30 cal indoors I'll be frank it's crippling. The can is to help me keep my self ready for a follow up or engage a second if needed. If I popped my short barrel mosin indoors I'd probably be almost as bad as the sucker on the bullet end. (but not on fire)

Speed helps and I also like to try to be real and I'll be not on my top game etc etc, so trying to put ears on is tricky when I heard my door kicked in at 3am.

i fully support and suggest you do you, but I rather my canned rifle than worry about ears esp when I'm groggy and scared.

I'm not big on guns. Not because I don't like or dislike them, I'm fairly neutral. It's just I haven't had all that much exposure to them in my part of the world. That said, I've been watching Forgotten Weapons, a pretty fascinating channel, if I may say so, myself.

Right now, I'm watching a video on a Vietnamese copy of another gun, that doesn't appear to be all that well made. It's still quite interesting to me, though.

Ian inspecting homemade African poaching rifles is my favorite video of his
fallout tier civilization.

millais

The Yellow Rose of Victoria, Texas
kiwifarms.net
This morning was my last opportunity to go plinking out in the sticks before the summer heat turns the whole countryside into a blasted 40C/100F wasteland dotted with torrential flash flood zones.

I was trying out some of PPU's modern 175 grain 7mm Mauser ammunition that has unfortunately developed some nasty looking verdigris coating on the brass and jacket since the last time I cleaned it. I was always worried about the verdigris before since I had read that in the Indian Wars, the verdigris would fuse hot brass cases into the chambers of the early trapdoor Springfield carbines since they had weak extractors, but this time I threw caution to the wind and just hoped that verdigris would have minimal effect on a more robust extractor like the one in my Mauser.

And fortunately, the verdigris seems to have no effect on the smooth extraction of spent cases, even after the chamber is getting rather hot. I managed to recover all but one of the spent casings in the event that I can borrow someone's reloading bench sometime, and it looks like most of the verdigris gets stripped off the casings sometime during extraction. I don't think it ended up on the surfaces of the chamber, so maybe it fell back down into the magazine.

By the time I was finished plinking, it was too hot for me to make a thorough search for the spent bullets in the tall grass around my steel plate, so I can't say for sure whether the green verdigris gets completely stripped off the bullet jacket when it engages the rifling. I was very curious about this, because I read in the Boer War-era medical journals, the British Army surgeons kept pulling "poisoned" Mauser bullets out of their dead and wounded, mistaking either copper verdigris or green-dyed storage wax on the bullet for a poisonous coating. The most authoritative surgeon in that war eventually concluded it was the storage wax, but other surgeons and soldiers and Boers mention verdigris so many times that it makes you wonder.

But anyway, I don't regret buying PPU's 175 grain 7x57mm. It's a little more expensive than the 125 grain, but the recoil and kick is still extremely forgiving and gentle, and it's much closer to the historical 173 grain bullet that would have been used by those countries fielding 7x57mm service rifles. For the most historical loading, it would have to be the pre-spitzer round nose-type bullet, but I don't often see new manufactured PPU round-nose for sale at a reasonable price.

Club Sandwich

kiwifarms.net
the verdigris would fuse hot brass cases into the chambers of the early trapdoor Springfield carbines since they had weak extractors
there was no "fusing". verdigris is a chemical reaction in brass between copper and salt where the copper exposed to certain acids that contain a salt as an active ingredient and starts a process that separates copper from the zinc in the brass alloy. the remaining zinc is often a paste-like substance bound with the inert salt leftover, and is colored green from the freed copper. this creates a "seal" if the brass is in a vessel with limited volume because the copper and zinc separately take up more room than when still alloyed.
the verdigris seems to have no effect on the smooth extraction of spent cases
any sufficiently plated (which is most modern chambers) bore, or a bore that is generous at the shoulder, or a verdigris'd cartridge that has not remaining in the bore long enough to continue absorbing atmospheric moisture, is unlikely to "stick" in the bore. an extractor of sufficient strength can overcome geometric changes to the cartridge case, but runs the risk of the weakened case material being pulled apart - creating a broken shell or rim tear.

ammunition is generally cheap enough that it usually isn't worth the time/effort to clean or use corroded ammunition, and with any such ammunition, care must be taken that the cartridge's strength hasn't been compromised.

millais

The Yellow Rose of Victoria, Texas
kiwifarms.net
there was no "fusing". verdigris is a chemical reaction in brass between copper and salt where the copper exposed to certain acids that contain a salt as an active ingredient and starts a process that separates copper from the zinc in the brass alloy. the remaining zinc is often a paste-like substance bound with the inert salt leftover, and is colored green from the freed copper. this creates a "seal" if the brass is in a vessel with limited volume because the copper and zinc separately take up more room than when still alloyed.

any sufficiently plated (which is most modern chambers) bore, or a bore that is generous at the shoulder, or a verdigris'd cartridge that has not remaining in the bore long enough to continue absorbing atmospheric moisture, is unlikely to "stick" in the bore. an extractor of sufficient strength can overcome geometric changes to the cartridge case, but runs the risk of the weakened case material being pulled apart - creating a broken shell or rim tear.

ammunition is generally cheap enough that it usually isn't worth the time/effort to clean or use corroded ammunition, and with any such ammunition, care must be taken that the cartridge's strength hasn't been compromised.
For whatever reason, most of the verdigris is on the bullet jacket, with only superficial specks of verdigris on the casing, so it seems pretty safe to me. When I scratch away the verdigris on the casing, it looks like there isn't evidence of deep pitting or corrosion to the casing surface underneath.

Should I be worried about the soluble salts in the verdigris drawing atmospheric moisture to the barrel and chamber of the rifle these cartridges were being fired from? I hope it's not like those nasty salts in corrosive primer ammo.

edit: nvm, according to Wikipedia the salts in verdigris are insoluble in water

Last edited:

Doggo

Gone.
kiwifarms.net
I'm sorry all, I really don't mean to constantly spam this thread with video links from one guy, but I find him genuinely interesting, and this thing is just too damn cool to not share.

I wonder how many James Bond-style pen guns are out there. Perhaps wildly impractical, but so goddamn cool, even for someone like me. I'll make this the last video I share, because I'm sure I'm annoying some people by doing it. Although I'll happily share more that I find interesting, if folks are interested.

Club Sandwich

kiwifarms.net
verdigris is on the bullet jacket
most modern (after 1900) bullet jackets are copper alloy. the older the bullet, the more likely it is to have a higher copper ratio in the alloy. and as you mention, while there are several salts that can cause the reaction in copper to produce verdigris, almost none of is hydroscopic since they've already been bonded partially to the copper and that's often nothing left to endanger steel alloy. iron maybe, but not steel.
I wonder how many James Bond-style pen guns are out there.
i've manufactured and sold them - they're an "Any Other Weapon" in the US, and are neat novelty gifts. some jurisdictions have a blanket ban on firearms not readily identifiable as a firearm, but most places have no such ban.

they are largely useless in any sort of "James Bond" situation as at the ranges they would be useful at, you are better served with a needle/stiletto type automatic knife for stabbing, or using a pre-charged air capsule to introduce an embolism somewhere vital such as the neck, armpit, inner thigh, hollow of the shoulders, kidneys, lungs, ocular cavity, or spine (between vertebra). from experience, your target is likely not to be wearing armor in all of these locations at the same time in the situations where an agent can be within a useful range.

all that aside, and ignoring fancy ricin pellet umbrellas, it's far better for plausible deniability to arrange for street crime, a bombing, or an unfortunate accident. frequent travelers roll the dice often and mechanical failure of a critical system, especially in countries where PMCS can be costly (training, spare parts, facilities) or impossible (embargoes on the same) is a very real risk.

Last edited:
Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1DgS5RfHw7xA82Yxa5BtgZL65ngwSk6bmm
ETH: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
LTC: LSZsFCLUreXAZ9oyc9JRUiRwbhkLCsFi4q
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino