Mega Rad Gun Thread -

• Images may fail sporadically. I have taken measures to keep the site working under high load at the expense of static content. The new server is ETA 7~10 days.

MrJokerRager

I like me some nice big boobs
kiwifarms.net
Was looking at these three guns. There is the cheap ass M1911 that fires 22lr and saw people using this at the range, its surpingly loud though and big for a 22lr pistol.

And then there were these two that caught my eye, a Ruger AR-556 with fixed magazine or a Tippmann M4-22. I believe the M4 is cheaper of the two.

MrJokerRager

kiwifarms.net
the AR-556, as the name implies, is a 5.56x45mm NATO self loading rifle. it is not in .22LR and would need a conversion kit if you intend to shoot .22LR with it.
Both gun stores in my area offer around $870 total and $650 is the price at pickup. Is this a good deal for this AR-556? Basically I can afford to waste one full paycheck on this.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Edit: Guess I will go with this cheapest M1911-45 on the market for now. And buy the AR 556 lator. Total cost runs over $1500 for me.

Last edited:

Club Sandwich

kiwifarms.net
Both gun stores in my area offer around $870 total and $650 is the price at pickup. Is this a good deal for this AR-556? Basically I can afford to waste one full paycheck on this.
for a new name-brand AR-15, $650 is a decent price. $870 i would expect to have either some accessories or an upgraded model over the baseline (a rail interface system or something). consider that you can purchase and have shipped a complete lower, a complete upper, and snap them together for under $400 (not including shipping/tax/transfer); then $650 isn't that much higher of a price for "buying" an additional warranty for a complete rifle. you're effectively prepaying for parts/service and with some products or brands that can be an important thing. Ruger is generally a quality gun maker and has been around for a while. the Ruger AR-556 is broadly compatible with model typical AR-15 parts as well, so you're not locked into anything proprietary either.

Edit: Guess I will go with this cheapest M1911-45 on the market for now. And buy the AR 556 lator. Total cost runs over $1500 for me.

Armscor, in the Philippines, makes some of the better 1911's on the market as they've been making and using them since WW2 and have the original tooling from WW2 and Vietnam imported from the US to produce them. Armscor is also the OEM for Charles Daly and RIA, although those labels outsource to other companies too like Caspian or Black Horse. if you do purchase the Armscor/RIA, note that certain aftermarket magazines will not function reliably as it lacks the Series 80 and later improvements to the 1911 that changed the magazine well and breech block slightly. you'll want to stick with USGI type magazines (also available from Armscor) or Chip McCormick or Wilson Combat magazines.

typically, the issue with 1911 magazine is dimensional - while the magazine body may fit and work properly, the flare or lack thereof and the configuration of the base of the magazine and the butt of the pistol may interfere with each other, especially with certain extended magazines that have a thicker baseplate than normal. in .45ACP there are fewer issues than with 9mm magazines.

Last edited:

MrJokerRager

kiwifarms.net

--------------------------------------------------------------

So I guess the artwork or color makes the price difference.

Particle Bored

I am made out of toothpicks and glue
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net

--------------------------------------------------------------

So I guess the artwork or color makes the price difference.

I've seen people say the cheaper 1911s are sometimes literally a little "rougher around the edges," but once you get past the snobbery the cheap ones are generally fine. Id like a 1911, and I'll probably get an RIA at some point.

I'm also jealous of people near ranges that allow rapid fire and sillouette/image targets.

Damocles_Sword

Shovelmech Pilot
kiwifarms.net
I've seen people say the cheaper 1911s are sometimes literally a little "rougher around the edges," but once you get past the snobbery the cheap ones are generally fine. Id like a 1911, and I'll probably get an RIA at some point.

I'm also jealous of people near ranges that allow rapid fire and sillouette/image targets.
I've got a Rock Island 1911. Other than having to adjust the extractor a few times to get it right mine has run fine. There may be some questions as to metallurgy, so long term durability and hard surface drops may be an issue. I will tell you that the grip screws on the ones that come with the VZ grips suck, had the head of one break off taking the grips off to clean off the crazy amount of oil mine came drenched in from the factory. Had to drill the shaft of the screw out and replace the bushing.

millais

The Yellow Rose of Victoria, Texas
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Last time I spoke to my father about his small firearms collection, he had just bought a civilian AUG. Now he is telling me that he sold the AUG and got one of those tacticool Springfield Armory M1As with the shorter barrel, rails all over the place, and black synthetic/plastic furniture; judging by the description, probably a SOCOM 16 type of deal. I hope I can borrow it for a weekend, as I've never shot an M14 variant before. My father must have had an M14 of some type when he was younger because he already has some beat up, old magazines and he sounds really fond of the M14 except for the traditional wooden stock, since pretty much all of those standard, gov-issue wooden stocks on milsurp rifles are longer than his preferred length of pull. Probably the SOCOM 16 furniture comes with a modern adjustable stock and that's why he's so giddy about it.

I wonder if all that lightweight synthetic furniture will make the front end feel heavier, since there's not a big chunk of wood at the other end to balance it out. Hopefully I'll be able to find out soon; I'm thinking of trading some stripper clips in exchange for range time on that thing, since I don't think my father has any clips to go with his magazines.

drfuzzyballs

kiwifarms.net
Notable pieces of my collection are
  • MAC 11
  • Tec-22
  • Ak-47
  • AR-15 I assembled myself and then took to a gunsmith to fix what I did wrong
  • 37mm tear gas gun, I get to brag on /int/ freedomland lets me own a grenade launcher
  • my car piece is a revolver so cheaply made it could be mistaken for a toy

MrJokerRager

kiwifarms.net
Imagine getting shot by this and thinking its a assault rifle from medium to long range.

--------------------------------------------------------

Bassomatic

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I'm in the middle of building an AUG off a part kit. I just snagged two barrels "16 and 20" more I look at the gun more I feel like I dun goofed this is gonna be a tricky girl to get working. I've always loved the AUG for a bull pup even my south paw self can use it it's cool, iconic, time I've spent with one, recoil is really light, I have oodles of 223 stuff anyways so it was just a case of a found a cheap parts kit.

I really think this is gonna suck and with my tax return I'm thinking a CZ 572 7.62x39 bolt gun would be really handy, always had a soft spot.

• Feels
Reactions: TerminalTryHard

Petey Wheatstraw

kiwifarms.net
it's actually easier to build a model 723 and 727 (or something between the two) and fairly cheap too:
1. any A2 spec lower with gen 2 or 3 "fiberlite" stock with four or 6 position buffer tube and H buffer
2. any A2 spec upper such as a brownell or DPMS upper and add an appropriate barrel assembly and upper parts kit or purchase one already assembled for cheap: https://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item/00173dt1022/16inch-pre-ban-a2-with-carry-handle-complete-upper-assembly-light-weight-barrel
3. snap together and install your lower parts, ensuring compliance with all applicable laws
4. go shoot

note that del-ton is a mediocre manufacturer and about as "cheap" as i would get and still have confidence to sell to someone that might use it for all purposes. going further "down the scale" would turn it more into a target/range type gun than something dependable for hunting or defense. the 1:9 barrel would be convenient as it'll be correct for most bullet lengths you would typically shoot (unless you want some very heavy bullets or tracers or something). and it would look the part.

a model 723 would use a C7 (A1E1 upper) and an A1 profile carbine barrel, while a model 727 would use an M4 profile barrel and A2 upper. it wasn't uncommon for police departments or some export countries to have an A2 upper and A1 carbine barrel (Israel for example or Saudi Arabia) because they didn't plan on using the M203 at all.
Thanks a million. This is probably sacrilege because it's not authentic but I am thinking I might go with the flat top model because my s/o is having trouble with iron sights and would like to try using a red dot. My brother also has a spare detachable carry handle lying around that he wants me to have so I could fit that on too. Not sure about what red dot I'd like yet but open to any suggestions provided it's not one of those optics they sell for $500.

Club Sandwich

kiwifarms.net
This is probably sacrilege because it's not authentic but I am thinking I might go with the flat top model because my s/o is having trouble with iron sights and would like to try using a red dot. My brother also has a spare detachable carry handle lying around that he wants me to have so I could fit that on too.
Colt model 920 (M4) or 921 (M4A1) are fairly authentic with a detachable carry handle although it isn't "retro". a Colt model 933 as well, which is less commonly seen.

you could also do a late production Bushmaster XM15-E2S Dissipator, which features a 16" medium contour barrel, a collapsible stock, a detachable carry handle, and rifle length sight radius an A2 handguards. this was sometimes called the "A3 Carbine" as well, which is incorrect, but common enough.

1583378424563.png

these were towards the middle of the Clinton Crime Bill (about 1998 or so), and often had AWB friendly features like a muzzle brake and pinned magazine that was 10 rounds.

Not sure about what red dot I'd like yet but open to any suggestions provided it's not one of those optics they sell for $500.
while you do get what you pay for, there are many high quality reflex optics available these days like the Romeo series from SIG Sauer, Primary Arms, Holosun, Bushnell TRS, and even some used Aimpoints here or there as LE trade ins. sometimes you can also find the Trijicon RX01 as an LE trade in as well, but less common and often they are without the mount.

Iceland Heavy

kiwifarms.net
I've had a couple Gen 3 S&W autos. The only one I liked was the S&W 1076. Generally, I'm not a bit fan of them, especially with how the recoil spring and guide rod are retained by a little notch where the chamber and barrel meet. I've had plenty of them go shooting off into the air or into the web of my hand during disassembly/reassembly because there isn't a lot keeping things in place. Virtually any modern pistol would be a better option, including the new S&W M&P pistols. But that's my opinion. For a metal framed pistol in .40 S&W, the SIG P226 or P229 is the superior choice.
Pretty late response, but I've since picked up several 3rd Gens and the part about the guide rod is definitely true and they're a bit more annoying to disassemble and clean overall than my other guns are. The 1006 I got is easily my favorite pistol I've ever shot and I really like how the 4013 TSW and 5926 I also have handle and I'm definitely holding on to them but I can understand how dated their designs are.

Bassomatic

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
gimmie your 1006 plz.

I done broke my MAS 36 :( I'm really upset about it. It's got such quirk I fell in love with it so fast. The bolt flat out locked shut, I was firing Priv and it just locked I even slammed it on the table hard enough to break said table a bit. It's sitting at home soaked in wd40.

• Feels
Reactions: millais

Club Sandwich

kiwifarms.net
The bolt flat out locked shut, I was firing Priv and it just locked I even slammed it on the table hard enough to break said table a bit. It's sitting at home soaked in wd40.
WD40 is a water displacement solution meant to separate water from a surface for cleaning. it isn't a lubricant, really, but a blend of 5 or 6 lubricants and a bunch of other solvents that sort of do many things for many projects.

a frozen bolt with rearward locking lugs (such as the MAS 36, Verletti and Schmidt-Rubin rifles and some others) will need to use an expanding penetrating oil like Kroil or PB Blaster pipetted into the recess areas of the receiver's locking faces to wick into the area and release the face from the interior. most alkanols will have a short evaporation in room temperatures so you can try releasing the frozen parts after only 10-15 minutes.

personally, i've used Gibbs (the dropper type, although the aerosol works too if you have a large area to work with) for frozen actions of all kinds, and it works well with gently applying a butane torch for 20 seconds or so then quickly (with a glove) moving the action to free it up. after it's cooled i usually inspect the areas to determine why it was locking up to begin with.

don't forget that sometimes you need to orient the rifle in odd ways to get the creeping/wicking action of the lubricant to flow into the right areas.

Last edited:

Bassomatic

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Thank you, your posts and advice is always top notch, for that and 300 other reasons I'm looking forward to getting home tonight and grabbing some PB blaster to hopefully free her up.

I've only put a few dozen rounds thru her most all priv, some hand loads. The gun was in good shape so it's a new mystery to me.

Club Sandwich

kiwifarms.net
I've only put a few dozen rounds thru her most all priv, some hand loads. The gun was in good shape so it's a new mystery to me.
a rifle in good shape may have an issue with the ammunition where it's expanded in the chamber in such a way that's it's physically pushing back against the bolt very strongly. this mechanical locking may need a rubber mallet to release, if you give the bolt a smack forward to crush the brass (presumably) case preventing the bolt from unlocking. i haven't seen that happen too often, but it does happen with headspace slop that let the case expand rearward slightly, just enough to make things stick and put extra pressure on the lugs.

dotONION

[Putdowns]
kiwifarms.net
I find that I like odd guns. I fell in love with the Canik TP9SA, and ended up buying a 9mm about a year ago. It's a beautiful little nail driver, and fun as hell to shoot. Odd rounds as well. I never really liked shooting .30-06, but I really love .300 Savage. Shoots like spreading butter. Problem is, there are almost no guns that use that round, short of the pump-action rifle I have now, and I kind of want to upgrade. I think going lever-action has a certain appeal, but I'm not too sold on the cost/performance ratio. Does anyone have experience with the 6.5 Creedmoor? Or do I have to go prepper and switch to .308?

Tags
None