Mega Rad Gun Thread -

The Dude

Bro, don't even bro, bro.
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
yeah, that's the thing, Shrike has their own custom links. I don't know how much different they are from ARES, probably not a whole lot. The main issue is that 9mm is a fairly weak round so imperfections can have a big impact. How consistently can you make those links? Sheet metal thickness varies a lot from sources, same gage.

The dude I was talking about has a huge can of lube that he periodically dumps into it to make sure it runs smooth. That's not fantastic, although I can see how lube and sex shooting guns goes together.

Another aspect is how much power does it take to pull the belt. I talked to M60 gunners, they damned made fittings from alum cans to get belt feed smooth and straight. Another test is at what hight can your MG pull the belt. Gory was designed to shoot from AA stand, so it can easily pull the belt 4" up. I bet a lot of problems with 9mm feeding comes from that setup, ability to pull belt low and straight, not the actual upper mechanism.
I've never heard that the Shrike/MCR uses proprietary links. I've always understood them to use the same links as all other NATO 5.56x45mm MGs, like the M249, Mk46, Minimi, HK MG4, etc. The whole reason it was designed was to be a lighter and more affordable alternative to the M249, so it wouldn't make sense for it to utilize proprietary links when there are already links widely available.

Edit: Yeah, the Shrike/MCR takes NATO standard M27 links as per their website. Proprietary links make sense when you're dealing with a cartridge that no one makes links for already, like the FM-9 being chambered in 9mm, but it wouldn't make sense when there's already a metric ass-load of links already available for that cartridge.

Last edited:

MrJokerRager

I like me some nice big boobs
kiwifarms.net
I like the camouflage aesthetic of the guy in the first video. Also kind of gives an idea what is it like firing that thing from the hip like you do in Call of Duty World at War.

The Dude

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I like the camouflage aesthetic of the guy in the first video. Also kind of gives an idea what is it like firing that thing from the hip like you do in Call of Duty World at War.

I always have to shake my head when video games portray anti-materiel/anti-tank rifles like they can be used like any other rifle. I don't care if you're Arnold Schwarzenegger, you can't fling around a 35+ pound rifle like it's an M4 carbine. Long range rifles, like sniper rifles and anti-materiel rifles, are grossly misrepresented in video games in general.

Prompt Critical

apropos-of-nothing
kiwifarms.net
Semi-related on the subject of random eastern bloc shit:

I recently bought a vz.52 (CZ 52) pistol and was hoping to get an original kit for it (cleaning tool, holster and lanyard). Are these still available for sale anywhere? The usual surplus/parts sites didn't seem to have.

Club Sandwich

kiwifarms.net
Gotta get me one of those Gorka outfits like the guy with the oversized SKS is rocking. Anyone knows any good places to buy one online?
That's a Summer Gorka-3 suit. BARS and SPLAV are the primary manufacturers and differ slightly, with SPLAV being more available on the market.

Legion USA (US based importer associated with a large gear store in Russia, legit and safe to buy from, but expect long shipping times as they go through multiple channels to get you your products if it isn't already available at their forwarding shipper)

Grey Shop (Russian Federation owned/operated exporter. legit and good selection, but expect issues on some gear as they purchase contract overruns mostly and do limited production runs from local (in Russia) suppliers, so availability is hit or miss)

Varusteleka (Finland based surplus shop, very big, long history, high quality. kind of like Sarco in that their inventory is very much in constant flux and you're best off reviewing the site then emailing to confirm quantity/stock on specific items. shipping is "meh" if you choose DHL or something)

Ivan Tactical (Russian based drop shipper, similar to Kalinka in many ways. most things are fine with them, but if they show low quantity you are best emailing them to confirm so your order isn't stuck in limbo).

most shipments from Eastern Europe take around 2-6 weeks. more if it's a "sensitive" item like surplus military gear.

Semi-related on the subject of random eastern bloc shit:

I recently bought a vz.52 (CZ 52) pistol and was hoping to get an original kit for it (cleaning tool, holster and lanyard). Are these still available for sale anywhere? The usual surplus/parts sites didn't seem to have.
Numrich and Sarco (and APEX and some other places) have parts and sometimes accessories, you might have to piece something together. buymilsurp.com is a clearing house for a lot of parts too, and also sometimes has weird accessories.

Harrington Products in Indiana specializes in CZ 52 (https://harringtonproducts.com/) try emailing them for some info on where to buy or if they have something available.

Last edited:

Tour of Italy

Take comfort in the classics.
kiwifarms.net
I'm not sure what your budget is but if you're trying to keep it in the $300 range the Ruger Security 9 Compact would meet your needs and likely has better build quality than the Taurus.

Thanks for the tip dude, I checked my local FFL’s website and watched the stock for these drop from 20 to 4 in the last 12 hours, so I figured I’d better jump on it rather than wait for things to dry up again like they did in April.

I’ve got family in Richmond where protestors lit a fucking apartment building on fire and blocked the fire department from getting in so I’m understandably in more of a gun buying mood. Problem is I’m guessing that everyone else is too, so better now than just hoping that budget options are still out there if shit gets even more bananas.

Broadwing

kiwifarms.net
Thanks for the tip dude, I checked my local FFL’s website and watched the stock for these drop from 20 to 4 in the last 12 hours, so I figured I’d better jump on it rather than wait for things to dry up again like they did in April.

I’ve got family in Richmond where protestors lit a fucking apartment building on fire and blocked the fire department from getting in so I’m understandably in more of a gun buying mood. Problem is I’m guessing that everyone else is too, so better now than just hoping that budget options are still out there if shit gets even more bananas.
If you didn't get absolutely raped on the deal, don't regret a few dozen dollars if you see it going cheap in a special months from now. I don't encourage people from buying now if they don't need it, but if you do and you can find something without too much markup, you're fine.

Most importantly, get some practice in. Break it in, make sure QA didn't miss anything, and work on any skill gaps you have.

Tour of Italy

Take comfort in the classics.
kiwifarms.net
If you didn't get absolutely raped on the deal, don't regret a few dozen dollars if you see it going cheap in a special months from now. I don't encourage people from buying now if they don't need it, but if you do and you can find something without too much markup, you're fine.

Most importantly, get some practice in. Break it in, make sure QA didn't miss anything, and work on any skill gaps you have.
I bought a bunch of 9mm like the fucking panicked hoarder I am back in March, so yes, I intend to practice and make sure I didn’t get a lemon.

I got a decent deal and I know I’m rolling the dice on this. I’m okay with the risk of maybe spending $50 more than I need now when compared to the chance of even higher gouges or complete unavailability if things don’t better.

I’d rather pay a little extra cash now than have to trade with Lord Humongous when things go to shit or whatever the fuck happens.

Marvin

Christorical Figure
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I got this upper about a month or two ago. Built an AR9 pistol. But unfortunately my range is closed due to corona (or it's open, but you gotta make appointments :jacepout:) so I haven't tried it yet.

I'm using a standard AR15 lower, so I'm still waffling on mag options. I got one of these to try out.
So 6mm ARC is now a thing apparently. Between 6.8 spc, 6.5 Grendel, and 224 Valkyrie I don't know if we need more long range calibers that can use AR15 lowers.

I was considering getting a 6.5 Grendel or 224 Valkyrie upper. I just don't know where I'd shoot it.

Reactions: Marco Fucko

s0mbra

Biology's habits are hard to break
kiwifarms.net
Alright kiwis, sorry if this isn't the right thread and I'm gunna pl more than I'd like to, but I need some help.

With all the shit going on, and the fact it's tip toeing uncomfortably close to my geriatric retirement town, I'd like to get a gun to protect myself and my grandma. She means the world to me an I could never live with myself if I let something happen to her because of my own personal issues.

But I don't exactly trust myself with a gun in the house. Mental reasons. I'd never hurt another person unless I had to, and I'll leave it at that.

What would be the best option here? I know my grandma wouldn't be down with a gun in The house, so it will have to be hidden. Meaning she can't keep it in her possession/in a safe when it's not needed.
For the record I'd be able to pass a bg check.

Would something more like a bow be at least acceptable for home defense? We've seen in the riots it won't do for a large group. A knife won't do shit if the other person has a weapon.

I'm honestly kinda uncomfortable posting this but if anyone has 2 cents to chime in, I'd appreciate it. Maybe I'm just being paranoid.

• Feels
Reactions: Marvin

Club Sandwich

kiwifarms.net
I don't exactly trust myself with a gun in the house. Mental reasons.
full stop. don't get a gun if you can't trust yourself with the responsibility. while things do appear to be dying down (depending where you live), it's always prudent to be prepared for an emergency. a riot is little different from any other natural disaster (fire, flood, hurricane, et c) and you do yourself and your loved ones a disservice by not having a plan in case of that emergency.

for people like this i generally recommend one (or more) of the following options:

1. relocate to a more peaceful area. don't be in a position where your (lack of) preparation would be tested. if this is not possible, arrange for a lengthy car trip or something. if this is also not possible, see option 2.

2. arrange with a trusted relative or friend to meet and have a serious discussion on your concerns about your safety and the safety of people that rely on you in the event of disaster. hopefully this friend is in a position to assist in some manner, whether that be regular wellness checks, visiting/relocating to be within "reach", et c. reach out to trusted neighbors and coworkers. you don't know unless you ask, but be sure that you are not exposing yourself to risk by asking out of desperation.

3. if you can't relocate and you have no trustworthy people that can reasonably assist you (even if it's merely providing a second pair of hands to evacuate or a shelter to be able to retreat to), then assess your situation and:

3a.secure your schedule (make sure it's known to at least one trusted person). be sure they have contact details for you, where you might likely end up (hospital, friend's house, local women's shelter, whatever might apply). many people that are caught "in the crossfire" generally are caught when traveling between locations.

3b. secure a means of reliable transportation and communication. maybe this is time to have a spare battery to charge from. maybe this is time to verify the condition of your vehicle.

3c. secure and verify your endpoints and safehouse. this means to be aware of and assess entry points to your building/home/apartment, and to be aware of expected noises and general comings and goings of people. this allows you to determine if someone doesn't belong or if it is unusually quiet or loud, et c. if you have a shared corridor (apartment building for example) make sure you're aware of at least two exits. this is valuable in case of fire, but it's also valuable in case you need to either barricade yourself inside or escape from an assault. be aware of points of egress - broken windows, tricky doors, thin or crappy walls, et c.

3d. for points of entrance, make sure you have the ability to cleanly and easily determine the identity of someone that comes in. this may involve moving furniture around to avoid blindspots. remember, you know your house better than any assaulter. you know where furniture is, you know that the chine cabinet has a bad leg, you know that the couch has a low table immediately to the left, et c. consider that a stranger will not know this and make sure that your furniture is arranged in a way that you're familiar with and would not prevent you from either escaping, or moving it into a barricade position. consider verifying lightbulbs, or putting a flashlight or two on opposite sides of the house so they are closer to reach. consider buying or making a few simple wedges that you can jam between a door and the floor - these can be obnoxiously difficult to force open and can buy you a minute or two if needed. cheap "chains" for security are easily broken open if someone knows how to kick in a door. a door wedge and a heavy piece of furniture are cheap and easy barricades.

3e. determine the condition of, and who has ready access to your building and your secured areas. maybe you have a general building key, maybe you have to buzz people in. if you're in a typical suburban home, you might have a couple sliding glass doors that can use a dowel in the tracks and tape on the glass to prevent easy break-ins. consider some sheets of plywood to guard windows and just have them stacked where you can move them into position (you should have this in case of high winds and stuff anyway).

4. lastly as an element of last resort, consider determining an escape plan for any available exit and where to meet up if separated. this may involve hopping fences, going through yards, or just running down the street. consider a melee weapon that you have some confidence in using such as a baseball bat or something. when your life and your family's lives are on the line, there is no room for hesitation. a solid hit to the head with any lever (crowbar, rebar, pipe, et c) exponentially increases the force of the blow and can be quickly lethal. in such a situation make sure you have room to swing (have enough fighting room, do not do this indoors if you are not experienced in something like this) and make sure you cannot be forced to engage on the attacker's terms. do not back yourself into a corner (have an ability to retreat if needed) and make sure that the fight is on your terms or is tilted heavily in your favor.

5. do not depend on the mercy of an angry mob. if you are fighting at all, you are fighting because if you do not, you will die. ergo, you must fight to live and if your attackers dies, then so be it. this is not a sport, there are no fair fights in the real world.

• Thunk-Provoking
  • Informative
Reactions: Marvin and s0mbra

The Dude

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
So 6mm ARC is now a thing apparently. Between 6.8 spc, 6.5 Grendel, and 224 Valkyrie I don't know if we need more long range calibers that can use AR15 lowers.

I'm going to see how the Army's new 6.8mm round pans out and see if it hits the civilian market before investing in anything like that. I don't see why there won't eventually be offerings on the civilian market. It looks like a baller cartridge: similar ballistics to a .270 Winchester Short Mag with lighter weight than current 5.56x45mm offerings, and the rifle SIG put together for it is basically a product improved version of their MPX rifle, which is a good weapon. Having military backing usually means more affordable ammunition when it hits the civilian market, but given that the case design is proprietary, it'll depend on if the Government contracts the ammunition from a single source, or if the case design gets licensed out to other ammunition manufacturers for them to produce their own loads. Still, I personally like to stick with whatever cartridges the military is using for my self defense weapons.

I'll think I'll buy myself an AUG next month as a birthday present. I've just been letting my gun-buying money accumulate since all this corona panic shit started.
I fucking love my AUG A3. I'm not the biggest 5.56x45mm fan. I prefer .308/7.62x51mm for fighting rifles. But for close quarters and urban combat, the AUG is awesome. You get a package that's nearly as compact as an M4, but you get a 20" barrel and can take full advantage of 5.56x45mm since it's lethality is based in large part on it's muzzle velocity. I personally feel the AUG is the best 5.56x45mm rifle you can get, but that's just one Dude's humble opinion.

20180309_200832.jpg20180309_200852.jpg

Tags
None