Metal Gear -

Overcast

Mmmph...
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Metal Gear Solid 3 is DEFINITELY my favorite.

I guess part of it is because that I played it first.

I just love almost everything about it. The jungle and forest environments, the use of camouflage, the survival aspects such as hunting for food and applying stuff such as bandages and sutures to your wounds, the unique and fun boss fights, motherfucking CQC, and an intriguing and gripping storyline.

I also enjoyed the other MGS games. 1, while a bit dated compared to later games, is a nice start for the series and has an absolutely beautiful and haunting soundtrack and atmosphere.

MGS2 I actually found to be pretty good on it's own merits, although it's understandable why most people didn't like it.

MGS4, looking back, probably could have been better, but it still had a shit ton of awesome moments to it.

Portable Ops was kinda meh. I did like "Calling to the Night" though.

Peace Walker was also pretty cool. I don't remember too much about it, but I do remember playing this one side mission playing as a guy code named "Gorilla" and holding everyone up with a banana. That was rather amusing.

c-no

Duck
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
This is something I'll always remember from Twin Snakes, aside from shooting Mario and Yoshi.

• Agree
Reactions: BOLDYSPICY!

c-no

Duck
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
HURT ME MORE.
That hallway was pretty terrifying back when I was a kid.
As a kid back when they released the game, it indeed was terrifying. Compare this from the original:

To the remake:
This may as well be one of the goriest things I saw in a game back then. The original only had you see the aftermath but the remake gives you the entire thing, from a guy getting slammed to another getting cut in half.

Burned Man

Trans-Legion burnedgender Mormankin
kiwifarms.net
I was just reading about the buddy system that's going to be in MGS 5 I'm going to feel terrible when I get the horse, DD, and Quiet all perma killed by doing something really dumb and hilarious. I also wonder if this buddy system will allow us to use our Mercenaries in a more direct ground support manner.

Dio Brando

Saikou ni HIGH te Yattsu da!!!
kiwifarms.net
I was just reading about the buddy system that's going to be in MGS 5 I'm going to feel terrible when I get the horse, DD, and Quiet all perma killed by doing something really dumb and hilarious. I also wonder if this buddy system will allow us to use our Mercenaries in a more direct ground support manner.
If my experience with the Fire Emblem series has taught me anything, it's that I suck at keeping my companions alive and will likely get everybody killed except for me

John Titor

Pronouns: time/temporal/tempself
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Reposting this because it was interesting. To think DSP helped me find it. Thanks Phil!

Partyboy

Welcome to the ascent of man, you stand right here
kiwifarms.net
According to kojima, you can only take buddies you pick up from missions with you. From what's been shown, I'm imagining it's a very small number. So no peacewalker-esue missions involving whole battalions I think. DD looked like the best. Because it's a freaking wolf with a g dash d eyepatch! It would have only been better if he was able to shoot lasers out of his eye! Though from the stream, you can still get supply drops. I admit, I would like the idea of an airstrike, or a team that performs actions off map, thereby providing recon, or eliminating certain threats without the need to put a buddy at risk. Also the permadeath thing kind of sucks. Here's hoping kojima gives you a mechanic like they did in far-cry 2 where you have a chance to save a downed partner. And if you fail, oh well.

EDIT: Anyways, phantom pain looks fantastic! That E3 trailer tuned to"Nuclear" was so great!

Last edited:

Burned Man

Trans-Legion burnedgender Mormankin
kiwifarms.net
According to kojima, you can only take buddies you pick up from missions with you. From what's been shown, I'm imagining it's a very small number. So no peacewalker-esue missions involving whole battalions I think. DD looked like the best. Because it's a freaking wolf with a g dash d eyepatch! It would have only been better if he was able to shoot lasers out of his eye! Though from the stream, you can still get supply drops. I admit, I would like the idea of an airstrike, or a team that performs actions off map, thereby providing recon, or eliminating certain threats without the need to put a buddy at risk. Also the permadeath thing kind of sucks. Here's hoping kojima gives you a mechanic like they did in far-cry 2 where you have a chance to save a downed partner. And if you fail, oh well.

EDIT: Anyways, phantom pain looks fantastic! That E3 trailer tuned to"Nuclear" was so great!
Yeah a far cry revival system would be pretty cool where too much morphine and its good night sweet prince. I think it would be cool to have a squad or fire team of Mercs on the map doing things like causing distractions and being a bit more expendable than the buddies. But they do add a lot of support like intel/ recon and air strikes and supply drops. I also hope than when another player invades Mother Base the damage they do isn't to permanent like murder all my men and steal all my built up supplies. I could see people just trying to actively ruin people's bases if they can.

Partyboy

Welcome to the ascent of man, you stand right here
kiwifarms.net
Yeah a far cry revival system would be pretty cool where too much morphine and its good night sweet prince. I think it would be cool to have a squad or fire team of Mercs on the map doing things like causing distractions and being a bit more expendable than the buddies. But they do add a lot of support like intel/ recon and air strikes and supply drops. I also hope than when another player invades Mother Base the damage they do isn't to permanent like murder all my men and steal all my built up supplies. I could see people just trying to actively ruin people's bases if they can.
I think the whole attacking other people's bases was what Kojima was going for. I'd imagine that kind of thing happens if you are using the online part of MGSV. I remember he did say that people online can steal your equipment, soldiers, etc. Hopefully that only happens if you are online only, and not in single-player(which would be pretty dumb). I would also say that anything they stole or destroyed would affect you adversely, and you have to replace it. Makes sense.

EDIT:UPDATE!: http://www.pcgamer.com/mgs-5-ground-zeroes-pc-reportedly-releasing-in-december/

Hopefully when GZ hits PC, phantom pain releases early next year.

Last edited:

broilerrx

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I'm looking forward to The Phantom Pain for the PC. As for my favorite Solid game, it's Snake Eater, hands down. I loved the camouflage system, and my favorite part was the CURE system. Honestly, that is a health system I wish were around a lot more. Having to address sicknesses, remove leeches, mend broken bones and lacerations, remove bullets, on top of gathering the supplies to do so in order to press on. The fact that you can actually break bones is pretty amazing, and the fact that you have to mend it through splinting it and all was great.

Another great game was Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake. The music was fucking awesome, and there were so many memorable moments. One that I will mention now is the stairwell chase. Upon going into the stairwell with 10 flights of stairs, you are immediately spotted by a pair of guards at the door on the other side, so you have to run. Along the way, aside from dodging their gunfire, you have to push through barricades, and be wary of pit traps on higher levels. And even if you kill the first guys, more will keep coming anyway, but even then, its a Metal Gear game, so I'd say killing is not in the best interest, especially if it can be avoided.

Reactions: c-no and Burned Man
Tags
None