Metal Gear -

Snekposter

The Amount of Awoo Here is Too Goddamn Tall
kiwifarms.net
The best part of the games for me, for what little I played thanks to being a PC guy, was running around as a stealthy commando badass with a lit cig hanging out my mouth, glowing in the dark. Goes great with Snake's mullet and bandanna. 80's action heroes are never out of style.

The handsome tard

Currently targeting Bill Gates, you are welcome!
kiwifarms.net
Is the MGS movie still a thing? I keep hearing its still happening but I barely see any actual progress. I get adapting MGS 1 on the big screen (something rather unnecessary but whatever) and not make it shit is rather challenging but one must wonder whats taking them so long.

Another thing I wonder about is who the hell will play Liquid Snake? The problem with playing Liquid is that you need to be the following

- Be ripped
- Be shirtless like you are in a Twilight movie
- Be teatrical as fucking hell
- You gotta look nearly identical to the actor playing Solid

The problem with all of them is how you exactly play a character like Liquid on live action properly? Liquid is a very loud and hammy character, he loves the sound of his own voice and prove his superiority because of his severe inferiority complex (also huge lack of knowledge at how genes actually work)

If an actor plays Liquid accordinly to the games, he might overshoot and ends up with something far too hammy to take serious, but if he plays more serious, it might not resemble Liquid much at all.

And Im very fucking curious as to how they will try to break the fourth wall with this guy

1596327300236.png

There is no way you can do Mantis justice without him breaking the fourth wall somehow (which non MGS fans might just get confused by it)

But it could also be the best scene in the movie if done right

. I think its very well written in the sense that you start with this very innocent character that at the end, has his entire world view thrown upside down.
*dope beat playing*

Big Boss: *on a spinning throne*

Now, this is a story all about how
My life got flipped-turned upside down
And I'd like to take a minute
Just sit right there
I'll tell you how I became the greatest mercenary of the world

A track to surpass Snake Eater

It's not him questioning his loyalty I have a problem with, it's the fact that Kojima presents him as one thing but has him act completely out of what his character should be. Someone that has minimum 12 years in the military shouldn't be having 10 minute philosophical questions on what a soldier should be at the start of a mission. That should have probably been a flashback or something but Kojima had to make all the exposition done on the radio cause it was easier.
Because grown ass adults never doubt and reflect their lives over. Especially when dealing with new info they never had before.

Besides Big Boss always was kind of a goof compared to Solid Snake.

Maybe the whole Big Boss saga was really meant to knock him off his legendary pedestal while propping up Solid Snake as a true legend.
One of my issues with the series is how it seems to glorify Big Boss too much. I really feel Kojima enjoyed writing him more than Snake. Its almost like he himself doesnt know this man turns into a warmonger that raises child soldiers to fight in the wars HE controls.

No matter how much you want to make Big boss likable in his prime or show how he was doing this for "the greater good" against the patriots, I will always say that he had to be stopped and he deserved getting burned to shit.
Im one of the few people that see the MGS5 ending as a disguised anti-MGS 2 ending.

MGS 5 - "Im Big Boss and so are you" aka, you are my body double so when one of us has to die, it will be you. You dont truly have any choice in the matter because you have been brainwashed to accept it from the get go. Horay.

MGS 2 - Solid tells Raiden to go and make his own name and destiny, that no one has the right to control him, not the patriots nor Solidus. I guess this ending is far more touching to me since it has a positive message in the end and it shows how much Snake has grown since MGS1, he is no pawn of the goverment or anyone else,and now neither was Raiden.

Always felt like Snake deserved better than getting accelerated aging (surprisingly there were no nanomachines to fix that when they can create borderline kryptonian invulnerability).

No doubt but it all made me appreciate Solid Snake way more as it progressed.
Solid is still the hero at the end of the day, he is the one that does the correct selfless things at the end, something even Big Boss recognized in his final moments, that Solid was the better one between them. I just felt like he got cheated from a satisfying conclusion (even tho I still enjoy MGS 4 a lot).

If they somehow magically ported MGS4 to PS4 and removed the brown filter I would buy a CWC drawn cover.
Im honestly surprised Konami never bothered to port MGS4 to the PS4 (or the legacy collection for that matter), it probably wouldnt have taken much from them (since the PS3 and 4 share similar design I'd believe). I sincerely wanted to stream the whole series from 1 to 5 and yet I cant because the legacy collection isnt on neither PC or PS4. Thats easy money Konami is denying themselves (perhaps because it would require paying Kojima royalties and Konami is far too prideful for that?).
*sigh* Guess the only option is to buy an expensive as fuck capture card... (thanks kojima) :stress:

Sexual Chocolate

kiwifarms.net
Is the MGS movie still a thing? I keep hearing its still happening but I barely see any actual progress. I get adapting MGS 1 on the big screen (something rather unnecessary but whatever) and not make it shit is rather challenging but one must wonder whats taking them so long.

Another thing I wonder about is who the hell will play Liquid Snake? The problem with playing Liquid is that you need to be the following

- Be ripped
- Be shirtless like you are in a Twilight movie
- Be teatrical as fucking hell
- You gotta look nearly identical to the actor playing Solid
I would love to see a MGS movie, but it'd probably be terrible for a bunch of reasons.

The main problem is tone, the source material is goofy as fuck. That's not really a problem in the games, because we all love that Japanese weirdness and melodrama, but try making an action movie where Michael Fassbender or whoever has a mullet and scoots around military bases in a cardboard box.

Kojima, as much as I love the guy, has the artistic sensibilities of a particularly bright 14 year old edgelord. You probably couldn't do justice to that and make a profitable movie at the same time. You could do a cheapo Asylum-tier production where Shadow Moses looks suspiciously like an abandoned warehouse in Canada, and Metal Gear Rex is an animated gif, or an $80m movie that bombs because general audiences wouldn't get it.

Im honestly surprised Konami never bothered to port MGS4 to the PS4 (or the legacy collection for that matter), it probably wouldnt have taken much from them (since the PS3 and 4 share similar design I'd believe).
The PS3 uses a completely different architecture that was notoriously difficult to code for, the PS4 is an x86 machine like XBox or PC.

Reactions: The handsome tard

Burned Man

Trans-Legion burnedgender Mormankin
kiwifarms.net

Always felt like Snake deserved better than getting accelerated aging (surprisingly there were no nanomachines to fix that when they can create borderline kryptonian invulnerability).
I doubt the MGS movie will ever manifest into anything. Even if it does beat the odds and gets made it won't be good in any way.

Accelerated aging was probably the best Snake could have hoped for. At least he got to live 1 year or so in peace as a man and not as a snake. The only other way Kojima could have made sure it was his final adventure would have been to let him blow his brains out or use the original draft of the ending where he and Otacon turn themselves in for the acts of espionage and terrorism they did in Philanthropy and get executed.

XYZpdq

fbi most wanted sskealeaton
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
that no one has the right to control him,
especially with how he throws away the dog tag that has your name

but hey if Garak gets all mushy when it's Enabran Tain or other times too, I can accept various snakes flaking out for the sake of narrative

Notgoodwithusernames

My wife’s boyfriend is my son
kiwifarms.net
I doubt the MGS movie will ever manifest into anything. Even if it does beat the odds and gets made it won't be good in any way.

Accelerated aging was probably the best Snake could have hoped for. At least he got to live 1 year or so in peace as a man and not as a snake. The only other way Kojima could have made sure it was his final adventure would have been to let him blow his brains out or use the original draft of the ending where he and Otacon turn themselves in for the acts of espionage and terrorism they did in Philanthropy and get executed.
The MGS movie appears to be one of those projects like the live action Akira or the 20 trillion Star Wars shows that will forever reside in development hell.

Reactions: XYZpdq

Dom Cruise

kiwifarms.net
I've been trying to figure out why MGS4 bothers me so much, for over a decade now I've gone back on forth on feeling like I'm too hard on the game to wanting to pretend it doesn't even exist.

I think it boils down to the fact that it simply played it too safe, it was Kojima's "apology" for MGS2, but if you love MGS2 like I do, you don't think it needed an apology, the whole game was just Kojima backpedaling on 2 and giving people what he thought they wanted instead of what he wanted and it's just... lame.

Originally Kojima wanted to end the story with 2, a decision I respect now, but the fact remains that I never would have accepted that, I had to know what happened next, but I just wish we had got something better.

It was a criminal to stop using Shinkawa's art for covers.
It reminds me of when they stopped using Kojima's (no, not Hideo) art for the covers of Castlevania.

It's to the point where it seems like whoever is running Konami is a sociopath who likes ruining good things on purpose out of spite, I've heard even their pachinko business is suffering due to their assholerly.

Reactions: DuranceVile

Duncan Hills Coffee

Oww, my byaaack
kiwifarms.net
I've been trying to figure out why MGS4 bothers me so much, for over a decade now I've gone back on forth on feeling like I'm too hard on the game to wanting to pretend it doesn't even exist.

I think it boils down to the fact that it simply played it too safe, it was Kojima's "apology" for MGS2, but if you love MGS2 like I do, you don't think it needed an apology, the whole game was just Kojima backpedaling on 2 and giving people what he thought they wanted instead of what he wanted and it's just... lame.

Originally Kojima wanted to end the story with 2, a decision I respect now, but the fact remains that I never would have accepted that, I had to know what happened next, but I just wish we had got something better.
Looking at all the divisiveness over 4, I'm beginning to think that a big reason I'm in the pro-4 camp was because I started playing Metal Gear after it came out. To me, 4 seemed like a natural conclusion. I never experienced the open ending of 2 at a time when no one knew if that one was the last one, I never went into 3 thinking it was Kojima's last game for realsies this time, and I never formulated my own theories of what the Patriots really were or all the other mysterious shit that went unexplained over the course of the series. I went from 1 to 2 to 4 (I skipped 3 for quite some time), and it made sense to me. I recognize how ridiculous it is now that every plot point was explained with "lol nanomachines," but at the same time, given that they were prominent in 1 and 2, I accepted the explanations and I was more or less accepting of the answers.

As I got older and began reading more discourse about 4 and how many people were disappointed in it, I thought more and more about why I liked it. And I really do think it was because I was late to the series. I suppose I never saw it as backpedaling because I didn't mind how it followed up on 2 to begin with. To me, it felt like the series built towards 4, and I get that feeling from the more emotional moments in the game. Yes, it's silly that Big Boss was kept alive with nanomachines, but I still love that ending with Snake and Big Boss finally making peace with each other and that beautiful shot of the flowers as they both smoke one last time. Plus the rendition of Here's To You as the credits roll is hands-down my favorite credits sequence in the series. Every time it plays, it just accentuates the emotional impact of the ending for me.

Dom Cruise

kiwifarms.net
Looking at all the divisiveness over 4, I'm beginning to think that a big reason I'm in the pro-4 camp was because I started playing Metal Gear after it came out. To me, 4 seemed like a natural conclusion. I never experienced the open ending of 2 at a time when no one knew if that one was the last one, I never went into 3 thinking it was Kojima's last game for realsies this time, and I never formulated my own theories of what the Patriots really were or all the other mysterious shit that went unexplained over the course of the series. I went from 1 to 2 to 4 (I skipped 3 for quite some time), and it made sense to me. I recognize how ridiculous it is now that every plot point was explained with "lol nanomachines," but at the same time, given that they were prominent in 1 and 2, I accepted the explanations and I was more or less accepting of the answers.

As I got older and began reading more discourse about 4 and how many people were disappointed in it, I thought more and more about why I liked it. And I really do think it was because I was late to the series. I suppose I never saw it as backpedaling because I didn't mind how it followed up on 2 to begin with. To me, it felt like the series built towards 4, and I get that feeling from the more emotional moments in the game. Yes, it's silly that Big Boss was kept alive with nanomachines, but I still love that ending with Snake and Big Boss finally making peace with each other and that beautiful shot of the flowers as they both smoke one last time. Plus the rendition of Here's To You as the credits roll is hands-down my favorite credits sequence in the series. Every time it plays, it just accentuates the emotional impact of the ending for me.
That's the thing is 4 has its moments, including the ending, the game isn't entirely worthless, which makes its downsides all the more frustrating.

You could very easily rework the plot of the game a bit into something special, if only Kojima had been a bit bolder and more willing to bring the Sons of Liberty weirdness.

Arachnophile

"Stupid, sexy, spidergirls."
kiwifarms.net
Did anyone bring up that the players on the PS3 network achieved total nuclear disarmament last week?
Another victory for gamers everywhere. Though I do like how Miller comments on Diamond Dogs now establishing a constant, 24/7 anti-nuke surveillance network around the globe to keep the world that way.

"Gotta love the irony, right?"

ProblematicUser420

kiwifarms.net
I've said for years that MGS fans come in two categories. Those that started before MGS4 and those that started after MGS4.

Theres also this really rare "started at or before MGS" fan like me but I'm convinced most ditched the series at some point cause I havent met one of those old bastards in over a year. Most in the pre MGS4 camp I've met started at 2 or 3 these days.

Anyways from my experience feelings on MGS4 has everything to do with how much build up someone had to it so most fans from the pre MGS4 camp dislike it because it felt so phoned in and Hollywood compared to what they had imagined in the build up. I saw a similar thing with Lost where fans who followed it from the start hated the ending while those that jumped on after season 3 or 4 tend to look at it more favorably.

Reactions: Duncan Hills Coffee

Dom Cruise

kiwifarms.net
I've said for years that MGS fans come in two categories. Those that started before MGS4 and those that started after MGS4.

Theres also this really rare "started at or before MGS" fan like me but I'm convinced most ditched the series at some point cause I havent met one of those old bastards in over a year. Most in the pre MGS4 camp I've met started at 2 or 3 these days.

Anyways from my experience feelings on MGS4 has everything to do with how much build up someone had to it so most fans from the pre MGS4 camp dislike it because it felt so phoned in and Hollywood compared to what they had imagined in the build up. I saw a similar thing with Lost where fans who followed it from the start hated the ending while those that jumped on after season 3 or 4 tend to look at it more favorably.
I started with 2, which is weird and made the game that much more confusing*, but in a way I'm glad because it allowed me to judge 2 for what it is without any expectations, the switch to Raiden was confusing, but because I was new to the series I simply accepted it.

The game totally blew my mind, then I went back and played MGS1 and had my mind blown all over again, easily one of, if not the, top experiences I've ever had with video games.

But that created expectations for the series from there and not even Snake Eater quite lived up to my sky high expectations (though I wasn't displeased with Snake Eater, I just don't like it quite as much as I like the first two)

So there is a weird phenomenon with the series it seems where each game is best played without any expectations, which is hard to do if you simply play them all in order.

*I didn't go into 2 completely cold though because I had read Official US Playstation Magazine's cover story for MGS2, which had brief synopsis of all the other games in the series, so I had the gist of what the series was about, but I was still missing a lot of context when playing 2 though, but it still worked really well for me.

Kornheiser

kiwifarms.net
Besides being a huge meme, is Senator Armstrong one of the most balanced villains in the series? He does crazy shit but backs it up with some good points and at the end Raiden takes heart of some the philosophy that Armstrong was telling him.

Tags
None