Metal Gear -

Takayuki Yagami

Justice is Blind, and Autistic
kiwifarms.net
It's actually interesting you say that because I'd argue that MGS2 was the only one in the series that tried to discourage just tranquilizing everything, or at the very least asked you to weigh your options. If you left a guard unattended for too long, his CO will come on over the radio and ask why he's late for his status report. Eventually, he'll send a squad over to investigate. There were ways around it of course such as hiding the body and waiting for everyone to go away, but it wasn't just tranqing a guard and forgetting about him. Hell even the cheese method of just running out of the area and coming back to restart the CO's conversation required you to at least be aware of where you are and you had to be quick in leaving the area.

Outside of Twin Snakes, which was just MGS2's gameplay transplanted onto MGS1's levels, none of the sequels did this. So long as the conscious guards didn't stumble across the ones that fell asleep you were basically free to tranq everything. You are right though that MGS' stealth eventually gave way to just using the tranq gun on everything; it's actually a lot more fun not using it because it requires you to learn the level layout and take advantage of the game's mechanics.
Tbf Kojima probably understood that how heavily people leaned on the tranq gun and tried vary it up considering we have more nonlethal options in pretty much every game after 3.

X Pac Heat

Go back to reddit, fed.
kiwifarms.net
The boss fights aren't any more grindy than other metal gear bossfights.
are you being fuckin serious right now?

Gamers really only have themselves to blame for MGSV. Everyone whined and bitched so much about MGS4 being so cutscene heavy they just gave everyone what the thought they wanted and stripped out the story.
That was actually the best part of MGS V IMO.

The worst part was how empty and fucking boring the open world was. A complete fucking waste.

Anusbeard

kiwifarms.net
are you being fuckin serious right now?
Yeah, PW boss fights are like most other metal gear boss fights where you have a long health bar you need to deplete by shooting when there's an opening. They aren't any more grindy than the other games. They are a little bland though since you're mostly just fighting giant robots but you can prepare however you want, take any weapons you've researched, and even do them online.

X Pac Heat

Go back to reddit, fed.
kiwifarms.net
Yeah, PW boss fights are like most other metal gear boss fights where you have a long health bar you need to deplete by shooting when there's an opening. They aren't any more grindy than the other games. They are a little bland though since you're mostly just fighting giant robots but you can prepare however you want, take any weapons you've researched, and even do them online.
By this logic every boss fight is a grind because they have health bars. The point is the time it takes and the tedium of the boss fights.

This isn't even getting into how every single boss was the exact same thing. Use up all resources until dead. Every other Metal Gear Solid game had bosses that had some unique factor to them. The only unique factor to peace walker is if it is a tank or a helicopter and if it's a shade of red.

Also your argument falls apart completely when you factor in that Kojima specifically designed them to be grind fests to encourage group play to take them down, so by nature they're vastly different from every other boss that was intended to be taken down in single player only.

Last edited:

Gravemind

A monument to all your sins
kiwifarms.net
Yeah, PW boss fights are like most other metal gear boss fights where you have a long health bar you need to deplete by shooting when there's an opening. They aren't any more grindy than the other games.
Not even fucking close. Every boss in the other MGS games can be beaten fairly easily and don't require an overabundance of resources to take down, even if you were going Tranq only.

In Peace Walker, every boss can easily tank some of your strongest weapons in the game and require multiple supply drops in one mission just to whittle down.

LullerDerbyRollin

I have no mouth and I have only more to scream
kiwifarms.net
Yeah and my point is that the PW boss fights don’t take longer than other metal gear boss fights
Bro, you owe everyone a share of the fucked up drugs you're on. PW bosses were tanky af, especially when you first reach them and then when you do the Custom versions. I grinded that shit when I was younger for a 100% ZEKE. Not only were they tanky, but the amount of part damage you'd need for most things would make Cocoon impossible to break every part even with careful execution. So you had a lot of bullshit trying to get everything from the bosses, for almost no reason other than to encourage more playtime online, which was dumb.

That said, PW was a seriously fun game with good core gameplay. I wish we had another game like it with online multiplayer, but thankfully you can now a days use PPSSPP to do online multiplayer.

FriendlyPrimarina

kiwifarms.net
As a kid I always liked the Big Shell as a location, so I was pleasantly surprised to discover this codec convo covering in-depth how the plant functioned before the incident:
Too bad she doesn't go into detail about Struts G-K (it always bugged me that we barely get to see Shell 2) but she does explain why the Shell 2 core is flooded when the player arrives.

The handsome tard

RealHandsomeJack - Based HERO CEO of Hyperion
kiwifarms.net
As a kid I always liked the Big Shell as a location, so I was pleasantly surprised to discover this codec convo covering in-depth how the plant functioned before the incident:
Too bad she doesn't go into detail about Struts G-K (it always bugged me that we barely get to see Shell 2) but she does explain why the Shell 2 core is flooded when the player arrives.
Same here, people simp for Shadow Moses constantly (and I love that location, dont get me wrong) but Big Shell felt like a worthy sucessor because it wasnt a base (at first), just a harmless ecological facility...yet there was this otherworldly atmosphere...like this "artificial" feel in the air. Its like your mind KNOWS something is off but you cant figure out what and why. And given how the whole game was going for this direction, I'd say that the whole thing was executed masterfully

The reveal that the WHOLE fucking place was a mega metal gear was absolutely insane.