Metals - Silver and Gold

Garm

kiwifarms.net
I have a pile of copper wire that needs to be stripped for recycling. Is it worth it to do it right now or would inflation eat up whatever I end making on it?

I would use the proceeds to invest in stocks.

Save the Loli

kiwifarms.net
I have a pile of copper wire that needs to be stripped for recycling. Is it worth it to do it right now or would inflation eat up whatever I end making on it?

I would use the proceeds to invest in stocks.
Sell your stocks and invest in copper. No seriously, keep your copper around since if the apocalypse really did hit, you'd be wanting it. Copper might have some interesting price swings these next few years since Chile produces 25-30% of the world's copper and "elected" a Reddit-tier commie type as president meaning environmental restrictions and bureaucratic bloat plus wage rises might increase the price of copper by a good deal. Peru (15% of global copper production) has a similar president but he's apparently following the kinda-leftist path the guys before him did.

mindlessobserver

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Sell your stocks and invest in copper. No seriously, keep your copper around since if the apocalypse really did hit, you'd be wanting it. Copper might have some interesting price swings these next few years since Chile produces 25-30% of the world's copper and "elected" a Reddit-tier commie type as president meaning environmental restrictions and bureaucratic bloat plus wage rises might increase the price of copper by a good deal. Peru (15% of global copper production) has a similar president but he's apparently following the kinda-leftist path the guys before him did.
Doesn't copper have a shelf life though? It's further up the table then gold and silver. Which means it's reactive and binds with Oxygen over time. Most people don't have vaccume chambers to keep their copper bars in. Even in Ye Olden Times copper was considered pretty worthless as a store of value.

In the Bronze Age, TIN was the king of metals. Tin was needed to make Bronze from copper, which stabilized the metal and slowed the oxidation process. The very first monetary debasement schemes in human history involved using more Copper and less Tin to make Bronze.

Save the Loli

kiwifarms.net
Doesn't copper have a shelf life though? It's further up the table then gold and silver. Which means it's reactive and binds with Oxygen over time. Most people don't have vaccume chambers to keep their copper bars in. Even in Ye Olden Times copper was considered pretty worthless as a store of value.
It forms a patina, but that's if you keep it outside. Assuming you control the humidity in your house and don't touch it with your bare hands, it would probably last many years in a decent state. You could probably purify it in a fire since copper can be worked with if you heat it up.
In the Bronze Age, TIN was the king of metals. Tin was needed to make Bronze from copper, which stabilized the metal and slowed the oxidation process. The very first monetary debasement schemes in human history involved using more Copper and less Tin to make Bronze.
Not entirely true, if you want to die a cripple or lunatic, you mix it with arsenic instead to make it hard and reliable. Back in the day they usually did this by mixing ores to find one with a decent copper content, but nowadays industrial copper is too pure so you have to mix the arsenic in. I recommend realgar, it has pretty red crystals and the Chinese believe it protects against disease and shit. Can't be too bad for you, right? Maybe make an amulet and sell it in Chinatown, I dunno.