Artcow Michael John Kricfalusi / John Kricfalusi / John K. / John K. Stuff / Raymond Spum - scammer animator who pissed away his own career, salty blogger, CONFIRMED predator and child rapist

• DDoS is active again.

Trilby

Sorry, but not sorry!
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
"COMPLETE MERCHANDISING AND EXPLOITATION CAMPAIGN"
Such a blunt brochure, words like these would be far too EVIL to sell a show with today.
The 50's TV landscape was ruthless, what with studios like WB selling their libraries to other companies outright, took them many decades to finally get all their cartoons back.

Dark Emporer Dood

I exist
kiwifarms.net
The 50's TV landscape was ruthless, what with studios like WB selling their libraries to other companies outright, took them many decades to finally get all their cartoons back.
GlisteningSmugAuklet-size_restricted.gif

Indeed, only a truly ruthless landscape could produce a face this horrified.

I do feel sorry for some of todays cartoonists, alot of them looked up to Johnks art (hell just look at the overused "Ren lips" in Rick and Morty). I was one of the few kids that got "parent-blocked" from watching that stuff.

Trilby

Sorry, but not sorry!
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
GlisteningSmugAuklet-size_restricted.gif

Indeed, only a truly ruthless landscape could produce a face this horrified.

I do feel sorry for some of todays cartoonists, alot of them looked up to Johnks art (hell just look at the overused "Ren lips" in Rick and Morty). I was one of the few kids that got "parent-blocked" from watching that stuff.
Thank goodness I was already a teen when that show was on.

Trilby

Sorry, but not sorry!
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Right, the cartoons themselves arent bad and lesser known restorations such as these are typically good. It just has a crazy community to it.
True. Sometimes it can get a little too obsessive. Still I like to think it was worth it for moments like this...

I await the day they get to Terrytoons. I know JohnnyKliked em, he shipped Gandy and Sourpuss often in the Mighty Mouse reboot.
The original cartoons weren't too far off from the truth.

Commander X

kiwifarms.net
While poking around, I came across a link to an old thread on the Something Awful forums, a poster shared a couple of short anecdotes about working at Spumco

When i was at spumco johns office was decorated with lots of "sambo" art and figurines. and at the time he was dating a young lady who had written him a fan letter when she was 13 years old. he kept the fan letter and would show it to people, she had drawn bunnies with crayons on the letter. remembering this stuff is making me a little nauseous...

i was only there for like 6 months, i was working on flash cartoons they were making like The Goddamned George Liquor Show and Weekend Pussy Hunt. it was weird, the guy was definitely one of my heroes before i met him. i think he was hoping i would be a kindred spirit but i didnt share his weird fetish for sambo art and n*gger jokes. after he shared a couple of these "jokes" with me he figured out that we were not exactly on the same wavelength and stopped trying.

in the meantime i was becoming friends with the girl he was dating. she was one of the few people there that was nice to me. john didnt like that we were becoming friends and went off the deep end a bit. at one point he stopped coming to work for like 2 months and when he finally did he confronted me in the bathroom and told me that his girlfriend didnt really like me and that she was just trying to make him jealous and piss him off by hanging out with me and that i should stay away from her. i was caught off guard and i was just like "uh, okay john" but i didnt stop talking to her.

he fired both of us!

maybe but hes pretty fucking weird.

we used to go to drawing sessions at his house in van nuys. all the spumco people. john would put on a laserdisc of old warner bros cartoons and pause a character pose. he would tell us to draw the character (porky pig or whoever) and then he would leave the living room, go into the garage, put on music and start tap dancing. the first time he did it i couldnt understand what i was hearing and they explained to me "he's tap dancing" and i was like okay... so theres 20 of us sitting there drawing porky pig while john is in the adjacent garage tap dancing to Pennies From Heaven or some such old song. it was surreal

oh and he was really vain and obsessed with aging. i guess because he liked his ladies so young and he wanted to seem more youthful than he was.

the first time i was at his house was for a party he threw there and some of us were in the kitchen talking and i see his kitchen counter is covered with like 60 or 70 pill bottles and i asked john "whats up with all the pills? do you really take all this stuff?"

"every day." he replied.

that party was cool though because i got to meet the guy who created cow and chicken and he seemed nice.

Commander X

kiwifarms.net
Ahhhh, right, I forgot i saw that link here yesterday. I came across it elsewhere while poking around to see what people have been saying about John K. I also found another more recent thread at SA featuring anecdotes like

He seems to have this boiling hatred for anything created after 40's. His students reflect these opinions as well. When I moved out to LA looking for work, I would meet these other john k Followers, and they had such toxic opinions about what animation should or should not be. he was enforcing his jaded opinions on impressionable students. Its sort of hard to reason with some one who just announces loudly that ADVENTURE TIME SUCKS because of _______ I can't remember all the vapid reasons he would site for the hatred of modern animation. but it seemed like corruption, to take these young kids and teach them to hate the current art trends, All these kids moved to LA because they wanted to work in animation. but how are they going to get a job if their being trained to hate everything new? It was just loving insufferable to be at these parties where people would wail on about how great animation from the 30's was. The sort of nostalgic prison that on old geezers would care about. I bailed on that scene pretty fast.

I found my own way into the industry without his help.

I feel bad for the people who stuck around in his world. His treatment of his students was harsh to say the least. One woman told me "I can never work with john again because he makes me cry" He was the kind of art director that would barely glance at something you worked hours on, and then just spit out "I'm sure you can do better at this. Redo it". Her and her husband both advised me to never work for John.

During his later years when he was making small concert spots or his Cans project. He would just rely on his dedicated pupils to do all the labor. He worked those kids fingers to the bone. making them animate his pen doodles for something less than minimum wage. I think they were just paid by the project, So after all the revisions I'm sure it was pennies on the dollar. And if there wasn't animation to be done, I think he had them scanning in and meticulously organizing a vast collection of old animation cells he managed.

I met him a few times, be he never seemed to notice me or care. The first time, at an arts fair, I wanted to tell him so badly how much I loved his blog, and how much it taught me. I bought a t shirt, just so he would ring me up. He didn't even look me in the eye. he just muttered something like "Oh yah, that's great. glad you read it" That was the most I ever said to him. On the other occasions I saw him, he usually spent the evening talking to my female friends. And of course, he always had that one "special helper" that really young student/flavor of the month girl who would undoubtedly show up in the doodles on his blog.

rburch91

kiwifarms.net
Ahhhh, right, I forgot i saw that link here yesterday. I came across it elsewhere while poking around to see what people have been saying about John K. I also found another more recent thread at SA featuring anecdotes like

Usually when he meets people at like conventions/signings/other events, he's pretty nice. I always thought that it was just working for him/knowing him personally that was hell.
I think he was trying to be Ralph Bakshi -- the unbearably tough, hard-hearted but knowledgeable director. The difference is Bakshi was also known to be a teddy-bear and an overall great guy.

A while back I listened to John K. when he was on the Nerdist podcast and while it was a very brief mention, he agreed that there were a few creator-driven cartoons like Adventure Time that were still out there.

8777BB5

Keep Her Sexy and Straightforward
kiwifarms.net
Usually when he meets people at like conventions/signings/other events, he's pretty nice. I always thought that it was just working for him/knowing him personally that was hell.
I think he was trying to be Ralph Bakshi -- the unbearably tough, hard-hearted but knowledgeable director. The difference is Bakshi was also known to be a teddy-bear and an overall great guy.

A while back I listened to John K. when he was on the Nerdist podcast and while it was a very brief mention, he agreed that there were a few creator-driven cartoons like Adventure Time that were still out there.

Bakshi is still a teddy bear and a great guy. The thing with Bakshi is he knew when to shut the hard ass stuff off and knew when to ease up/hire the person back. If anything John K reminds me a lot of Joshua Lionel Cowen (The founder of Lionel Trains) who would probably have a Lolcow thread had Kiwi Farms existed in the first half of the 20th Century. Like John K if you were to meet Cowen he would tried to cultivate an image of a good even tempered person. in reality he was a short tempered hard ass who would throw Chris-Chan style tantrums at his workplace and fire people for trivial things (And not hire them back like Bakshi would do).

Commander X

kiwifarms.net
I've heard stories from people who actually corresponded with him. One person, who was a lady, wrote him a letter in middle school, he wrote back, and they had a nice correspondence resulting in her getting a lot of original artwork and a fairly honest understanding of how the animation industry works. He was never anything but kind in his communications with her, and she never had any inkling of creepiness from him. I've talked to multiple people, guys and gals, who had nearly identical experiences.

Then again, I've heard from people who would say, "oh the rumors about what it's like to work for John K. are not even close to how bad it would get." Problem was the rumors were all over the area - for an example some said oh, he's not into teenage girls, he's deep in the closet.

I admit to skimming his blog in the past, it could be a fairly useful source for prospective animators and cartoonists, and the man occasionally had some decent insight. However that didn't stop him from being an embittered weirdo.

rburch91

kiwifarms.net
I've heard stories from people who actually corresponded with him. One person, who was a lady, wrote him a letter in middle school, he wrote back, and they had a nice correspondence resulting in her getting a lot of original artwork and a fairly honest understanding of how the animation industry works. He was never anything but kind in his communications with her, and she never had any inkling of creepiness from him. I've talked to multiple people, guys and gals, who had nearly identical experiences.

Then again, I've heard from people who would say, "oh the rumors about what it's like to work for John K. are not even close to how bad it would get." Problem was the rumors were all over the area - for an example some said oh, he's not into teenage girls, he's deep in the closet.

I admit to skimming his blog in the past, it could be a fairly useful source for prospective animators and cartoonists, and the man occasionally had some decent insight. However that didn't stop him from being an embittered weirdo.

I'm not going to lie-- I still look at his blog to see what else he has to say about anything. Mostly because the thought of something I had never seen before interests me; he may be John K. (God it sounds harmless, I wish it were) but he's got an incredible sense of humor and sometimes he'll surprise you.

BrunoMattei

No I am not the Cinema Snob
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Bakshi is still a teddy bear and a great guy. The thing with Bakshi is he knew when to shut the hard ass stuff off and knew when to ease up/hire the person back. If anything John K reminds me a lot of Joshua Lionel Cowen (The founder of Lionel Trains) who would probably have a Lolcow thread had Kiwi Farms existed in the first half of the 20th Century. Like John K if you were to meet Cowen he would tried to cultivate an image of a good even tempered person. in reality he was a short tempered hard ass who would throw Chris-Chan style tantrums at his workplace and fire people for trivial things (And not hire them back like Bakshi would do).

I've heard some hearsay that Bakshi bashed the fuck out of John at some convention or interview over the whole Cans Without Labels fiasco. Keep in mind, for those who don't know, that John worshiped Bakshi as one of the animation gods and the guy who got John's foot in the door. Bakshi even cameoed in easily the worst episode of Adult Party Cartoon and there was even a Honeymooner's style sketch with Bakshi that opened and closed the episode. That sketch was only shown on TV and cut from the DVD release. John probably ordered that.

GhostButt

kiwifarms.net

It was a great resource and still is, as you read more and become inoculated to his quirks and grudges it makes it much easier to pull up a coinstar in your brain and toss out all John's melted pesos and keep the good shit, mostly his eye which was very good.

Steamboat_Bill

Going to beat the record of the Robert E. Lee
kiwifarms.net

Of course the guy can put on a good face for when he's at cons and be utter hell behind the scenes. People do shit like that.

Just about everyone who worked for him except for his sycophants at Spumco hate the guy or are at least conflicted.

(Incidentally, regarding some of the posts from Something Awful, I kind of suspected the whole racism thing. The Porky Pig thing is also in character from a man who had the artists on the Beany and Cecil remake redraw old Beany and Cecil comics instead of doing work.)

Trilby

Sorry, but not sorry!
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I've heard some hearsay that Bakshi bashed the fuck out of John at some convention or interview over the whole Cans Without Labels fiasco. Keep in mind, for those who don't know, that John worshiped Bakshi as one of the animation gods and the guy who got John's foot in the door. Bakshi even cameoed in easily the worst episode of Adult Party Cartoon and there was even a Honeymooner's style sketch with Bakshi that opened and closed the episode. That sketch was only shown on TV and cut from the DVD release. John probably ordered that.
I remember when that was aired, I thought that was pretty over-the-top next to getting Ralph for that "Fire Dogs" sequel.

money bunny

no cash value
kiwifarms.net

I've always heard Bakshi is a hard worker who prides himself on not missing deadlines. I doubt he had a lot of patience for John K's work ethic.

Trilby

Sorry, but not sorry!
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I've always heard Bakshi is a hard worker who prides himself on not missing deadlines. I doubt he had a lot of patience for John K's work ethic.
Ralph's thing had been to time everything in his head, that's why there's no retakes or pencil tests done in his films as he simply couldn't afford it, both time and money. A means he learned from his Terrytoon days.

Thanks to this threas I just tried to watch The Goddamn George Liquor Program.
I have rarely seen anything less funny in my life. And John K's infatuations with underage girls is fucking disturbing as hell.

What a waste.
Truely.