Artcow Michael John Kricfalusi / John Kricfalusi / John K. / John K. Stuff / Raymond Spum - scammer animator who pissed away his own career, salty blogger, CONFIRMED predator and child rapist

Steamboat_Bill

Going to beat the record of the Robert E. Lee
kiwifarms.net
He can't even vary within his own style. Everything he does just looks like R&S.
Like I said, everyone else on R&S could. Of course, they've all got their own styles and it shows in everything they do, but they can work within other styles, and often deliberately. Thad Komorowski once mentioned that one of the best artists on R&S got a job on the Dilbert cartoon so he could have something in a different style on his resume. (He didn't name him, but I will - it was Chris Reccardi.)

Jewelsmakerguy

(Cheesy 80s music intensifies)
kiwifarms.net
He couldn't really draw in any other style, though, unlike a lot of the other guys on Ren and Stimpy. (A lot of animation teachers I can think of will tell you you've got to work in other styles.)
Like, why did John decide to limit himself? Shouldn't it get tiring just drawing the same disgusting designs over and over again?

The man worked at Filmation, DiC and Hanna-Barbara ffs. It doesn't matter if he hated his time at those studios, even they attempted to do more than one style. All John can do is that crappy, over the top style that other animators can do without looking like it was drawn with their mouth.

Steamboat_Bill

kiwifarms.net
Like, why did John decide to limit himself? Shouldn't it get tiring just drawing the same disgusting designs over and over again?

The man worked at Filmation, DiC and Hanna-Barbara ffs. It doesn't matter if he hated his time at those studios, even they attempted to do more than one style. All John can do is that crappy, over the top style that other animators can do without looking like it was drawn with their mouth.
He probably could, but he's since deliberately forgotten how, I assume, because he hated it at all of those studios.

When he was starting out, needless to say, he probably had to draw in a ton of different styles. In his first year at Filmation he was working on Fat Albert and their Flash Gordon and Mighty Mouse cartoons.

Here's an episode.
Note that this is also written by CatDog creator Peter Hannan, so it's a two-for-one on classic Nick creators here.

FatFuckFrank

Goddamn Sexual Tyrannosaurus
kiwifarms.net
He probably could, but he's since deliberately forgotten how, I assume, because he hated it at all of those studios.

Note that this is also written by CatDog creator Peter Hannan, so it's a two-for-one on classic Nick creators here.
Also fun fact: The Head of programming at Nick who greenlit Rocko's Modern Life also greenlit Let's Go Luna on PBS Kids

Steamboat_Bill

kiwifarms.net
Also fun fact: The Head of programming at Nick who greenlit Rocko's Modern Life also greenlit Let's Go Luna on PBS Kids
The great, sitar-playing executive Linda Simensky, of course, a woman who can say she's been a part of the great years at both Nick and Cartoon Network.

Did I talk about the story of how John even sold his show to begin with? The way you generally heard the story, he was at a meeting trying to sell the show, and as he was acting out a scene, his inhaler fell out of his pocket and hit Geraldine Laybourne in the face.

Her response: "Buy something from this man!" And that was how Nick picked up Ren and Stimpy.

FatFuckFrank

Goddamn Sexual Tyrannosaurus
kiwifarms.net
The great, sitar-playing executive Linda Simensky, of course, a woman who can say she's been a part of the great years at both Nick and Cartoon Network.

Did I talk about the story of how John even sold his show to begin with? The way you generally heard the story, he was at a meeting trying to sell the show, and as he was acting out a scene, his inhaler fell out of his pocket and hit Geraldine Laybourne in the face.

Her response: "Buy something from this man!" And that was how Nick picked up Ren and Stimpy.
Now this is a good example of women in the animation industry.

Technicolor_Sheep

kiwifarms.net
He couldn't really draw in any other style, though, unlike a lot of the other guys on Ren and Stimpy. (A lot of animation teachers I can think of will tell you you've got to work in other styles.)
If there was one thing john was legitimately good at, (at least in his r&s days) it was picking up up young talent and training them to produce amazing work. I mean look at all of the shit that former r&s people worked on. Like post movie spongebob. Say what you want about the writing but some of that stuff is legitimately the best modern tv animation I have ever seen.

Steamboat_Bill

kiwifarms.net
If there was one thing john was legitimately good at, (at least in his r&s days) it was picking up up young talent and training them to produce amazing work. I mean look at all of the shit that former r&s people worked on. Like post movie spongebob. Say what you want about the writing but some of that stuff is legitimately the best modern tv animation I have ever seen.
A lot of the guys from Ren and Stimpy were actually people John had known on other projects - at Bakshi, at Tiny Toons, at his failed Beany and Cecil revival... And they were all about his age, needless to say.

John didn't start hiring young talent until after he was fired off R&S - and remember, this is when his pedo tendencies really came out. Now why do you think Spumco was always staffed with young talent?

(Admittedly quite a few of the young people at Spumco have gone on to other things, and some get work in the mainstream industry.)

Dark Emporer Dood

kiwifarms.net

I dont think he intentionally limits himself, more like he lacks any self-awareness. Theres plenty of cartoonists online that draw the same basic things repeatedly and never seem to notice (and if a fan does the dumb style defense wall rises).

On a side note, as much flack as Filmation/Hanna-Barbara get for their cheap animation, they werent half bad as far as backgrounds and character designs go, it was just that moving-part that they couldnt pull off.

Doesnt look half bad, the art styles quite refreshing compared to whats normally on TV.

Steamboat_Bill

kiwifarms.net
I dont think he intentionally limits himself, more like he lacks any self-awareness. Theres plenty of cartoonists online that draw the same basic things repeatedly and never seem to notice (and if a fan does the dumb style defense wall rises).
He probably could draw in other styles, but like I said, he chooses not to. He worked at Filmation, H-B and the like on shows with very different drawing styles doing storyboards and such; and keep in mind you had to be faithful to the show's style in your boards at the time.

(Of course, you have to wonder how he got into the business considering his time at college...)

Steamboat_Bill

kiwifarms.net
I'm actually studying animation myself, a lot of my profs have shared stories about how much of a nut he was while they worked with him in school, R&S and Ripping Friends. I don't want to bug them for more details, especially given the predator controversy, but it's really interesting.
If they've already shared stories, would you mind sharing them here?

Lupin The Turd

kiwifarms.net
If they've already shared stories, would you mind sharing them here?
Unfortunately my memory is pretty shit. What I do remember is one where his mom got one of my profs to deliver him a gift sweater and John sperged out over it, saying how she's always breathing down his neck. Another is how he'd talk like a sailor with investors and executives and nearly jeopardize productions with his big mouth.

Steamboat_Bill

kiwifarms.net
Unfortunately my memory is pretty shit. What I do remember is one where his mom got one of my profs to deliver him a gift sweater and John sperged out over it, saying how she's always breathing down his neck. Another is how he'd talk like a sailor with investors and executives and nearly jeopardize productions with his big mouth.
That's perfectly consistent with everything I've heard about him. Thank you anyway.

Jewelsmakerguy

(Cheesy 80s music intensifies)
kiwifarms.net

On a side note, as much flack as Filmation/Hanna-Barbara get for their cheap animation, they werent half bad as far as backgrounds and character designs go, it was just that moving-part that they couldnt pull off.
I mean H-B did manage the moving part better than Lou's company (considering they did those old Tom & Jerry shorts and all). But to say it was any good outside of their movie work by any real stretch would be a gross lie.

Trilby

I got stupid cool hip-hop style!
kiwifarms.net
I mean H-B did manage the moving part better than Lou's company (considering they did those old Tom & Jerry shorts and all). But to say it was any good outside of their movie work by any real stretch would be a gross lie.
No doubt having to work during that "dead period" of animation would put off a lot of people expecting more out of it I'm sure.

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1EiZnCKCb6Dc4biuto2gJyivwgPRM2YMEQ
BTC+SW: bc1qwv5fzv9u6arksw6ytf79gfvce078vprtc0m55s
ETH: 0xc1071c60ae27c8cc3c834e11289205f8f9c78ca5
LTC: LcDkAj4XxtoPWP5ucw75JadMcDfurwupet
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino