Artcow Michael John Kricfalusi / John Kricfalusi / John K. / John K. Stuff / Raymond Spum - scammer animator who pissed away his own career, salty blogger, CONFIRMED predator and child rapist

Count groudon

Saltier than Njord's left testicle
kiwifarms.net
I think there might legit an American cartoon fandom in Japan.

I know of at least one video about Japanese fans of King of the Hill arguing over subs vs. dubs.
There actually is! I’m not sure if it’s at the same level as weebism in the west, but there’s a sizable fanbase for western animation in Japan. Lots of young people there have a fascination with western culture, and as a result a lot of them are big fans of American cartoons, especially Disney and recently shows like adventure time.

It’s actually one of the main reasons shows like Lilo and Stitch and Power Puff Girls got their own animes in Japan, and pretty much the entire reason Kingdom Hearts got made.

TVBForever

kiwifarms.net
Which explains why these anime-style western cartoons like Teen Titans, Kappa Mikey, Boondocks, Totally Spies, Avatar: TLA, and Xaolin have gone on to have bigger communities as time goes by.

Not to mention, episodes of Billy and Mandy, Fairly Oddparents, Angry Beavers, South Park, Loud House, Johnny Test, Regular Show, Gravity Falls, Family Guy, American Dad, Bob's Burgers; films like Into the Spiderverse, Robots, and Horton Hears a Who; and lest we forget, American animated shows that don't have anime-style animation but still have big followings due to respective shows influences such as Samurai Jack, Steven Universe, Adventure Time, OK KO, Star vs. the Forces of Evil, Villainous, Hilda, etc.

Funny enough, the following for these mentioned properties; regardless of the quality of many of these shows and movies, are just as big in Japan as overseas such as in America. John K, change my mind otherwise.

Steamboat_Bill

Going to beat the record of the Robert E. Lee
kiwifarms.net
Kids like to sleep with stuffed animals so having them be soft and squeezable, rather than rigid and stiff, makes sense for the kind of toy they are. I had a Glo-Worm doll as a really little kid, a toy that was meant to be snuggled with while going to sleep, and the vinyl head pressed against your cheek? Not the best sensation, since the head is usually hollow and it gives under the weight. In that respect, the Alvin and the Chipmunks dolls from the 60's? They don't look snuggly. They're kind of off-putting. I don't know how much of that has to do with the wear-and-tear of age, or what.

This is just more EVERYTHING WAS BETTER WHEN I WAS A KID bitching as usual.
Yes, but when the guy's ranting about how hippies destroyed the concept of form and how "the bastards that make this shit must hate kids," it makes it all the more funnier.

There is. Tom & Jerry is their biggest favorite over there along with such properties like SpongeBob, Transformers and Disney.
Can confirm; when I went to a Japanese bookstore not long ago they had a lot of Tom and Jerry stuff.

TVBForever

kiwifarms.net
There is. Tom & Jerry is their biggest favorite over there along with such properties like SpongeBob, Transformers and Disney.
Oh yeah, I keep forgetting that stuff like SpongeBob, Transformers, King of the Hill, Ed, Edd, n' Eddy, Spiderman, and Tom and Jerry has been beloved in Japan considering that they are well established animated icons in America, as well as worldwide.

I mean this is the same reason why Ronald McDonald has been an icon in Japan (and not just in America); but in my eyes, only because of its resurgence by 2008 based on a series of remix videos.

I think John Kricfalusi is missing out on what Japan likes about America's culture after WWII.

Last edited:

Steamboat_Bill

kiwifarms.net
But unfortunately, here lies the problem with APC; and it's similar to what the later seasons of Family Guy have nowadays; and it's that it tries way too hard to be edgy and shocking by being both of these on the nose without the emphasis on the humor and what made that said humor in the respective shock value lore so charming.

I'll give Family Guy this; when that show revived from the network due to strong DVD sales and cable ratings; the show still had some really good humor; but slowly declined quality by 2010 that even the writers, crew members, animators, and former showrunner Seth MacFarlane (although still contributing as voice actor) admitted that the show declined quality due to how it became a shell of its former self by being edgy and shocking without being funny and even wanted Fox to cancel the show on some instances; but sadly the show is still airing.

But Ren & Stimpy's revival just right out of the blue uses gross out humor without being funny and charming; which is ironic considering that Ren & Stimpy had not just gross out humor, but also emphasis on the latter two.
I know this is a little late, but I kind of want to elaborate on this.

One of John K.'s biggest problems is that he still thinks of himself as the guy who's going to save animation and break the boundaries the hippie dyke executives have set for kids TV, the guy who's going to make cartoons funny again.

When Ren and Stimpy was picked up, in 1991, he could think of himself as the transgressive rule-breaker and it wouldn't seem crazy. No one was really doing anything like that in the mainstream animation world. Cartoons were strictly for kids in the public mind, even with the big success of The Simpsons. By 2003, when Adult Party Cartoon got picked up, however... things had changed. The people who worked on R&S had gone on to change the animation landscape and work on shows that became beloved classics. Adult cartoons were a dime-a-dozen.

So, needless to say, you take his transgressive rule-breaker mindset that's stuck in the animation world of the early 90s, and you tell him to make an adult cartoon... and needless to say, you get exactly what you get. It was supposed to be one of Spike TV's flagship programs, and it bombed so badly it took the whole animation block with it.

BrunoMattei

Vincent Dawn
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net

One of John K.'s biggest problems is that he still thinks of himself as the guy who's going to save animation and break the boundaries the hippie dyke executives have set for kids TV, the guy who's going to make cartoons funny again.

When Ren and Stimpy was picked up, in 1991, he could think of himself as the transgressive rule-breaker and it wouldn't seem crazy. No one was really doing anything like that in the mainstream animation world. Cartoons were strictly for kids in the public mind, even with the big success of The Simpsons. By 2003, when Adult Party Cartoon got picked up, however... things had changed. The people who worked on R&S had gone on to change the animation landscape and work on shows that became beloved classics. Adult cartoons were a dime-a-dozen.

So, needless to say, you take his transgressive rule-breaker mindset that's stuck in the animation world of the early 90s, and you tell him to make an adult cartoon... and needless to say, you get exactly what you get. It was supposed to be one of Spike TV's flagship programs, and it bombed so badly it took the whole animation block with it.
Not trying to split hairs but I think Spike's adult cartoon block was doomed to fail from the get go. They spent a lot of money on those shows that have decent to good levels of animation. Compare that to Adult Swim that had ratings darlings like Futurama and Family Guy (that they got for cheap) to piggy-back off of and extremely cheap shows they could create like Aqua Teen that cost about 30-50K which is insanely cheap.

Spike had no chance. Adult Party Cartoon being vehemently rejected and John K. being unable to deliver episodes on time were the icing on the cake.

AnOminous

do you see what happens
True & Honest Fan
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
Spike had no chance. Adult Party Cartoon being vehemently rejected and John K. being unable to deliver episodes on time were the icing on the cake.
R&S humor was never particularly adult anyway. Gross-out humor is more piss off your parents humor than genuinely transgressive, and moving it into tryhard territory just can't work.

Steamboat_Bill

kiwifarms.net
Not trying to split hairs but I think Spike's adult cartoon block was doomed to fail from the get go. They spent a lot of money on those shows that have decent to good levels of animation. Compare that to Adult Swim that had ratings darlings like Futurama and Family Guy (that they got for cheap) to piggy-back off of and extremely cheap shows they could create like Aqua Teen that cost about 30-50K which is insanely cheap.

Wasn't it Adult Swim that made Futurama and Family Guy ratings darlings in the first place? And aside from the shows being cheap, they had an anchor to the block with Space Ghost Coast to Coast, which was popular and had been around since the 90s. So there was something to drive people to the block.

Of course, when it came to Spike TV's animation block, a lot of the problems stem from the fact that the shows were not good. Maybe if they'd had better shows, it might have thrived for a few years at least. But when you start off with Adult Party Cartoon... well, you're doomed from the start.

Mister Qwerty

kiwifarms.net

Do you think he got that attitude from working with Ralph Bakshi?

Someone in a Tree

It's the ripple, not the sea that is happening
kiwifarms.net
Do you think he got that attitude from working with Ralph Bakshi?
It's certainly possible, but at least Bakshi had this attitude back when animation was primarily a market for children. And considering that there were far less venues back then for adult animation (no cable channels hosting experimental content at that time), Bakshi would probably be justified to feel that he was one of the few artists trying to elevate the medium outside of the kid's ghetto. And unlike John K, Bakshi is pretty prolific and can point to a body of work that's more extensive than ten episodes of Ren and Stimpy and a smattering of shorts and bumpers.

Steamboat_Bill

kiwifarms.net
It's certainly possible, but at least Bakshi had this attitude back when animation was primarily a market for children. And considering that there were far less venues back then for adult animation (no cable channels hosting experimental content at that time), Bakshi would probably be justified to feel that he was one of the few artists trying to elevate the medium outside of the kid's ghetto. And unlike John K, Bakshi is pretty prolific and can point to a body of work that's more extensive than ten episodes of Ren and Stimpy and a smattering of shorts and bumpers.
Bakshi also never took it to the levels John K. did. It was a borderline messiah complex sort of thing with him. There's a good reason a lot of people who've worked at Spumco compared it to a cult.

Steamboat_Bill

kiwifarms.net
Another update and another double post.

It should interest some of you to know that Ren and Stimpy is now being shown on The Splat again. Nick wasn’t really acknowledging the show after the allegations.

Evidently we are at the cultural point where it’s OK to enjoy things John K. was associated with again, and we are all where we really ought to have been: rightly appreciating Ren and Stimpy while ensuring John K. never gets any work again.

ColorfulCassowary

Oama i gone
kiwifarms.net
I dunno if this is the right thing to do, but since this thread is fairly large, where did John K get confirmed as a child rapist? Are they gonna be able to take him to court?

• Thunk-Provoking
Reactions: Quijibo69

La Luz Extinguido

There are no innocents
kiwifarms.net
Which explains why these anime-style western cartoons like Teen Titans, Kappa Mikey, Boondocks, Totally Spies, Avatar: TLA, and Xaolin have gone on to have bigger communities as time goes by.

Not to mention, episodes of Billy and Mandy, Fairly Oddparents, Angry Beavers, South Park, Loud House, Johnny Test, Regular Show, Gravity Falls, Family Guy, American Dad, Bob's Burgers; films like Into the Spiderverse, Robots, and Horton Hears a Who; and lest we forget, American animated shows that don't have anime-style animation but still have big followings due to respective shows influences such as Samurai Jack, Steven Universe, Adventure Time, OK KO, Star vs. the Forces of Evil, Villainous, Hilda, etc.

Funny enough, the following for these mentioned properties; regardless of the quality of many of these shows and movies, are just as big in Japan as overseas such as in America. John K, change my mind otherwise.

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

We are on the Brave BAT program. Consider using Brave as your Browser. It's like Chrome but doesn't tell Google what you masturbate to.

BTC: 1EiZnCKCb6Dc4biuto2gJyivwgPRM2YMEQ
BTC+SW: bc1qwv5fzv9u6arksw6ytf79gfvce078vprtc0m55s
ETH: 0xc1071c60ae27c8cc3c834e11289205f8f9c78ca5
LTC: LcDkAj4XxtoPWP5ucw75JadMcDfurwupet
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino