• “I feel horrible for indulging my curiosity”

Microsoft Demands That Gab Delete Post Calling for 'Eradication of All Jews'

Discussion in 'Articles & Happenings' started by CIA Nigger, Aug 9, 2018 at 7:21 PM.

Forum Guidelines
  • Don't post if you have nothing to say. If anyone could write your post, it doesn't need to be made. One-word replies are automatic 1-month bans from this board.
  • Hide your powerlevel. Avoid revealing intimate, personal details about yourself in public boards. These threads are not your personal blog and we are not an asylum.
  • Create accurate topic titles. Threads should be labeled correctly and avoid sensationalist language.
  • Cite an article. This board is for content aggregation and should feature at least one source.

@Lipitor

1. Amazing how people on this very site are fine with this rising tide of corporate censorship. We're heading down the path of towards some pretty dystopian shit.

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Like Like x 1
    • Feels Feels x 1
    Apoth42

Apoth42 Verified Degenerate

kiwifarms.net
  2. Microsoft is lying about it being illegal (as someone already linked, Brandenburg v Ohio) but they do have the legal right to tell Gab to fuck off for pretty much any reason they see fit.

• Agree Agree x 11
    xxXDxx

xxXDxx just magic, ain't gotta explain shit

kiwifarms.net
  3. If you don't like the 100% privatized Great Firewall of America, you're free to build your own.

• Like Like x 1
    kiwifarms.net
  4. We have enough /pol/ rejects shitting up A&H.

• Agree Agree x 10
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • 🤔 Thunkful x 1
    lolwut

lolwut Outta stupid title ideas, but I've got a knife!
    True & Honest Fan

kiwifarms.net
  5. a&h pol rejects are the easiest lolcows to fuck with lol

• Agree Agree x 6
    • DRINK DRINK x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    CatParty

CatParty Boo
    True & Honest Fan

kiwifarms.net
  6. I can go to bing and search "kill all the jews".

62 million results and now they may not be hosting that content, but they sure are granting access.

So, ethically, what is the difference.

• 🤔 Thunkful x 6
    Piss Clam

Piss Clam Squeeze me.

kiwifarms.net
  7. True, but, I can still be unhappy with the current mindset that banning distasteful speech is not just an unfortunate necessary evil, but should be advanced as a noble and stated goal.

Such flippant dismissal of the virtue of letting people speak, even if not technically required by private ownership (making it not a right) will only lead to further polariztion and militancy.

Because it will not have any effect on the stemming the ideas behind it..... the current generation forgets that the internet is still a relatively new thing and those who use it to propagate hate speech (validity of that entire concept aside) didn't suddenly decide to become champions of their causes when they discovered Facebook... even if you hound every single KKK member off your platform, that just means they'll meet like the used to before the internet and start putting flyers on cars or holding rallies on someone's farm instead of a chat room, ironic that you're only making a bigger nuisance out of them by smugly thinking your little moral victories of getting their blue checkmarks taken mean diddly. They think it works because they're so spoiled by the reach of the internet, the idea that someone could print up a BOOK and hand it out doesn't even compute to them as a valid means of disseminating info.

Out of sight is not out of mind, banning a person off a forum doesn't make them go away IRL. Didn't the election of Trump prove that? The media-backers and pollsters somehow couldn't (and still can't see) that when dissent is banned, 99% approval figures sampled from that controlled source don't mean jack.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • 🤔 Thunkful x 1
    #27 TowinKarz, Aug 10, 2018 at 8:07 AM
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2018 at 8:23 AM
    TowinKarz

TowinKarz Actually WILL Call Somebody.....

kiwifarms.net
  8. Without offering comment on any other part of this story, I'll just say that I don't think it is the place of any private entity to simply decide what is and is not protected by the first amendment. Kind of a stupid thing to say.

• Agree Agree x 9
    Alec Benson Leary

Alec Benson Leary Creator of Asperchu
    Christorical Figure

kiwifarms.net
  9. I heard Microsoft is developing a device to bring back the dead so they can ban Don Rickles.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • 🤔 Thunkful x 1
    • Feels Feels x 1
    Wesley Willis

Wesley Willis Rock over London, Burn down Chicago!

kiwifarms.net
  10. not only that, but they lied about not only why they first sent the notice to Gab, but they lied about the content of the posts in the notice to gab.

[​IMG]
    https://gab.ai/a/posts/31242665

the two posts in question (now deleted) did not have any form of link in them.

• Informative Informative x 5
    kiwifarms.net
  11. Microsoft's interpretation of the First Ammendment is worth about as much as a dog's interpretation of it. The only interpretation that matters is by a judge in a court of law; someone qualified in a context that actually matters

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Winner Winner x 1
    kiwifarms.net
  12. It's not even about qualification, it's just about who is authorized. I'm sure every private party in the country would love to officially decide "criticism of X does not fall under 1st amendment protections" where X just happens to be whoever is making the decision.

• Agree Agree x 3
    Alec Benson Leary

Christorical Figure

kiwifarms.net
  13. It's a good thing that unlike a lot of other instances where one might be suing Micro$oft, a First Amendment case against them is pretty open-shut. Not that it matters since M$ can find whatever reason they want to fuck you over.

• Feels Feels x 2
    kiwifarms.net
  14. Gab's exceptional for openly hosting their content on azure, or any big cloud, really.

You should do it quietly. Microsoft does not give a shit about hosting this stuff. It's not like they're going to engage in deep packet inspection or start snooping through your ram or hard drives. They don't give that much of a shit. If you have money and they don't get any poo on their hands, they'll serve you.

So what you do is you obscure whoever does the bulk of your hosting with a bunch of smaller web hosts that either don't give a shit, or can be swapped out quickly. While that does present a vulnerable choke point, the bulk of your content will remain intact.

You can also extend the longevity of your proxies with cloudflare and similar services.

Furthermore, gab's got investment, right? Even if it's just a little? I mean, it takes some money to try to start a social network. They should buy IP space and host their own proxies.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    Marvin

Christorical Figure True & Honest Fan

kiwifarms.net
  15. Not just stupid, ARROGANT.

Ever notice how arrogance and a desire for the censorship of others go oh-so hand in hand?

No other opinions matter, we have the right ones, no discussion of this point is permitted, it is a self-obvious fact that only a bad person would dare question....

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Feels Feels x 1
    TowinKarz

kiwifarms.net
  16. I'm honestly a little surprised. Microsoft seems generally a little more wary of getting their hands dirty with the great social justice slapwar.

My only source for that feeling is that I have several friends who work for Microsoft and are necessarily acquainted with the rest of the silicon culture... and feel safer working for Microsoft, if you get my meaning.

I don't want to go on a tangent but to give perspective, my friends know all about the "boo white people" stage events Google hosts, but would shit a lead brick if they actually saw that attitude in their own leadership.

• Agree Agree x 1
    Alec Benson Leary

Christorical Figure

kiwifarms.net
  17. Every company has that "one employee" who gets a bug up their ass and threatens HR into applying one of those anti-discrimination rules..... when everyone else doesn't care and just wants to get to work.

Microsoft probably has "that guy"

Whereas, Google, Facebook, et al are nothing BUT that guy, to the point that THEIR "that guy" is the anomaly who ISN'T submitting complaints to HR every day.

• Feels Feels x 5
    TowinKarz

kiwifarms.net
    • Agree Agree x 1
    kiwifarms.net
  18. So I'm looking into these posts. I managed to find one of them on archive.org. I can't find the other one, which is fucking annoying because it makes it difficult to judge the validity of Microsoft's claims. I don't know why that is. Maybe liability?

The other quote would've had the phrase "complete eradication of all Jews", if anyone can locate it.

So, that post I managed to find an archive of is definitely first amendment legal. Maybe it's harder to tell for a layman. Still, it's exceptional for a provider of dumb infrastructure to even try to make a call like that.
    Yeah, I've heard similar things.

Tech companies seem less exceptional in Washington. Some of them still have hippie ideals, of course, but they run actual businesses.

Whereas Google's more of a Communist Party summer camp, that just happens to fund itself with side businesses like search and advertising.

• Agree Agree x 1
    Marvin

Christorical Figure True & Honest Fan

kiwifarms.net
  19. It's not illegal to be anti-Semetic, but Microsoft is still perfectly able to pull their hosting whether it's illegal or not. If they don't want to be associated with Nazis, this is a reasonable thing to do.

• Agree Agree x 1
    Panic Dance

Panic Dance You know what this is, bitch.

kiwifarms.net
  • About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. These people are commonly referred to as Lolcows and are each distinct thanks to their erratic public behavior. Spectators are encouraged to join discussion. The wealth of opinions and knowledge shared by users is what has enabled this peculiar fringe community to thrive despite the incredible adversity and contention brought by those we discuss.

We do not place ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

• Supporting the Forum

BTC: 1LXpv9FUiazGB2LVyS44cTTEQFc8CBgPYi

BTC+SW: bc1qwv5fzv9u6arksw6ytf79gfvce078vprtc0m55s

ETH: 0xc1071c60ae27c8cc3c834e11289205f8f9c78ca5

LTC: LNjmyhxThrTMY4izBdcdWqvW287LmCB6bg

XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino

Copyright © 2016 Lolcow LLC
This website may contain offensive or adult content.
Discontinue browsing if it is illegal or against your wishes to see such material.
All content belongs to their respective authors and does not represent Lolcow LLC.
We have not been served any secret court orders and are not under any gag orders.