Microsoft is making Windows 10 passwordless - It’s part of a bigger push to get rid of passwords

Desire Lines

Clam and Seaweed Hotpockets
Supervisor
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
https://www.theverge.com/2019/7/11/20690359/microsoft-windows-10-passwordless-password-option-update
1562886814726.png
Microsoft is planning to make Windows 10 PCs work without passwords. While the company has been working on removing passwords from Windows 10 and its Microsoft Accounts for a number of months now, the next major update to Windows 10 next year will go one step further. You’ll soon be able to enable a passwordless sign-in for Microsoft accounts on a Windows 10 device. This means PCs will use Windows Hello face authentication, fingerprints, or a PIN code. The password option will simply disappear from the login screen, if you decide to opt in to this new “make your device passwordless” feature.
So why does Microsoft want people to stop using passwords to log into Windows 10 PCs? It’s really simple: passwords suck. People love to reuse them across every website and on their personal devices, and although we have a number of two-factor authentication methods available, it’s still difficult to convince people to use them.
1562886830937.png
Microsoft argues that a PIN code is far more secure than a password, even if it seems more simple to use a four-digit code. This is thanks to unknown variables and the fact that the code is stored on a device and not shared online. Windows 10 stores your private key on a device with a Trusted Platform Module (TPM), which is a secure chip that keeps a PIN local to your device only. Servers can be compromised and passwords stolen, but a Windows Hello PIN wouldn’t be affected.
Microsoft has been slowly trying to convince Windows 10 users to opt into two-factor authentication processes like basic SMS, a separate Microsoft Authenticator app, Windows Hello, or even physical security keys with the FIDO2 standard. With the latest Windows 10 May 2019 Update, you can even set up and sign into a Windows 10 PC with just a phone number on a Microsoft Account.
Microsoft is now planning to allow people to remove the password option entirely from the Windows 10 login screen. This will also extend to business users through Azure Active Directory, allowing businesses to go fully passwordless with security keys, the authenticator app, or Windows Hello.
It’s all another step toward a future where hopefully we don’t have to worry about remembering complex passwords, having a password manager, or avoiding reusing passwords. If Microsoft, Apple, and Google have their way then we’ll be using our eyes, fingers, or physical keys that we posses to get into our accounts and devices instead of passwords.

Last edited:

wylfım

To live a lie, or die in a dream?
kiwifarms.net
Microsoft argues that a PIN code is far more secure than a password, even if it seems more simple to use a four-digit code. This is thanks to unknown variables and the fact that the code is stored on a device and not shared online.
So they essentially admitted to swiping your passwords? Yeah, I'll pass.
Switch over to linux. It's identical to windows for 90% of use cases and you can give a big "fuck you" to Micro$oft while learning more about computers. Linux mint is a free, simple to use version for people used to windows.

HeyYou

seriousposter
kiwifarms.net
Switch over to linux. It's identical to windows for 90% of use cases and you can give a big "fuck you" to Micro$oft while learning more about computers. Linux mint is a free, simple to use version for people used to windows.
I play obscure ass video games nigga, I ain't using Linux.

Bonedome

Lookin' to dome.
kiwifarms.net
I hate Windows 10. I have all the auto-updates turned off and it'll still restart my computer while it's sleeping to update. Yesterday I had to re-restart because it restar-updating disabled the M4/M5 keys on my mouse. This update will probably turn passwords off and you'll have to go find a "fix" to turn them back on.

Give Her The D

nigger loving jew
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
If only ease of use didn't boil down to bowing down to Canonical, then yeah, I'd switch full time.

Plus I prefer running games that the AAA studios are hostile letting run on Linux, even with Wine/Proton. (EAC support on Linux being killed, with Wine taking a gorillion years to add their own support)

wylfım

kiwifarms.net
I play obscure ass video games nigga, I ain't using Linux.
If only ease of use didn't boil down to bowing down to Canonical, then yeah, I'd switch full time.

Plus I prefer running games that the AAA studios are hostile letting run on Linux, even with Wine/Proton. (EAC support on Linux being killed, with Wine taking a gorillion years to add their own support)
Yeah unfortunately video games are the remaining 10% use case :/
I hear a lot of people dual boot. Personally I enjoy tinkering with Wine; most things that "dont work" under it are usually config errors rather than actual incompatibilities. But yeah fuck Windows "embrace extend extinguish" strategy, if it means I'm inconvenienced, so be it, I still refuse to give them my money.

Give Her The D

nigger loving jew
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Yeah unfortunately video games are the remaining 10% use case :/
I hear a lot of people dual boot. Personally I enjoy tinkering with Wine; most things that "dont work" under it are usually config errors rather than actual incompatibilities. But yeah fuck Windows "embrace extend extinguish" strategy, if it means I'm inconvenienced, so be it, I still refuse to give them my money.
Exactly. I know how to do this stuff, it's just preference that I don't have to put too much effort into it. If I really want to, I'd do it.

wylfım

kiwifarms.net
Can somebody explain to me the difference between passwords and PINs?
Password = awholelotofwordsandmaybesome#s12345
Pin = 1234
Essentially their claim that "pins are more secure" is bullshit because pins are usually short and people make it something stupid-easy to guess like their birthday. It's a blatant power grab to make it easier for them to spy on you in the future.

Kosher Dill

Potato Chips
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Eh, I'm all for this in principle. Passwords do suck (especially when managed by your typical corporate IT halfwits), and the attacks on them get cheaper and easier every day whereas the strength of the password paradigm has pretty much maxed out.
My only concern is that this will push lazy developers to just use Facebook/Microsoft/Apple/Google/whatever logins for authentication instead of implementing their own FIDO2 integration. I see too much of that already even now.

EDIT: but am I reading this article right where they're saying you can use only a PIN on Microsoft accounts, without any sort of 2FA? That is sketchy.

SugarSnot

You will not want it after reading the tags.
kiwifarms.net
I hate Windows 10. I have all the auto-updates turned off and it'll still restart my computer while it's sleeping to update. Yesterday I had to re-restart because it restar-updating disabled the M4/M5 keys on my mouse. This update will probably turn passwords off and you'll have to go find a "fix" to turn them back on.
The fact that they have the gall to auto update and restart your computer while you have programs running is just disgusting. I've gone to sleep after drawing something only to get back up and find my progress nuked because Windows restarted and my program didn't automatically save a backup before Windows forced the restart. I seriously hope that whoever is responsible for not being able to opt out of these gets kicked in the head for every person they've annoyed with this.

Shaved Kiwis

Gran Autismo 3: A-Sped
kiwifarms.net
Password = awholelotofwordsandmaybesome#s12345
Pin = 1234
Essentially their claim that "pins are more secure" is bullshit because pins are usually short and people make it something stupid-easy to guess like their birthday. It's a blatant power grab to make it easier for them to spy on you in the future.
So what you're saying is that I haven't completely lost my shit yet and it is essentially a gimped password where you can use only numbers. Thank you for taking the time to reassure me of my sanity.

wylfım

kiwifarms.net
So what you're saying is that I haven't completely lost my shit yet and it is essentially a gimped password where you can use only numbers. Thank you for taking the time to reassure me of my sanity.
Yes, but don't worry anon, you can use our new proprietary FacioRecognize™ technology along with your fingerprint data to make sure it's really you trying to log in and secure your account! The future is upon us!

Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1DgS5RfHw7xA82Yxa5BtgZL65ngwSk6bmm
ETH: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
LTC: LSZsFCLUreXAZ9oyc9JRUiRwbhkLCsFi4q
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino