Microsoft is shutting down Mixer and partnering with Facebook Gaming - curb your enthusiasm & monopoly & Only thing to Stop it is end of Section 230&house always Wins

Terrifik

kiwifarms.net
I feel for ItsaGundam...

I mean, this garantees that livestreaming becomes mainly censored or self-censored, does it not?
Nobody will speak their mind if they have to do so under the simp rulers of Twitch or the censor-happy moderation of Facebook.
Don't Forget that each platform follows you on other Platforms and if you make big nono or fuss they will yank you from their platform or shutoff your Account down.

Irrelevant

kiwifarms.net
Good question... why did Google buy YouTube if it wasn't making any money?
YouTube was an anime site before Google bought it and deleted everything before Japan could sue them. They did the world a favour.

Realistically though, why did they buy YouTube? YouTube wasn't even trying to make money back then, wasn't really much bigger than any other video site, and Google promptly kicked off the existing users (i.e. pirates) so it wasn't even for the user base.

The Mass Shooter Ron Soye

🖩🍸🔫 :) :) :) 😷
kiwifarms.net
Nobody will speak their mind if they have to do so under the simp rulers of Twitch or the censor-happy moderation of Facebook.

http://archive.md/PGW0r

Patagonia, the outdoor apparel brand, said it will join a growing advertising boycott of Facebook and Instagram being led by a coalition of civil rights groups.

The boycott, which is known as #StopHateForProfit, was driven by Facebook's failure to act against "hateful lies and dangerous propaganda," the company said.

Patagonia's announcement marks the fourth major brand in recent days to join the boycott, which is being organized by civil rights and activist groups. On Friday, The North Face, REI and Upwork all said they would be joining the effort and suspending advertising on Facebook for the month of July.

"From secure elections to a global pandemic to racial justice, the stakes are too high to sit back and let the company continue to be complicit in spreading disinformation and fomenting fear and hatred," Patagonia said in a series of tweets. "As companies across the country work hard to ensure that Americans have access to free and fair elections this fall, we can't stand by and contribute resources to companies that contribute to the problem."

In a statement to CNN on Friday, Carolyn Everson, VP of Facebook's global business group, said: "We deeply respect any brand's decision and remain focused on the important work of removing hate speech and providing critical voting information. Our conversations with marketers and civil rights organizations are about how, together, we can be a force for good."

The civil rights coalition, which includes the Anti-Defamation League (ADL) and the NAACP, is calling on major corporations to put a pause on advertising on Facebook in July over what they say is a "repeated failure to meaningfully address the vast proliferation of hate on its platforms."

The coalition launched the #StopHateforProfit campaign last week with a full-page ad in the Los Angeles Times.

The group said that Facebook has allowed incitement against protesters fighting for racial injustice in America, refused to adequately protect users from online threats, failed to recognize and remove Holocaust denial as a form of hate, and allowed its platform to be used in voter suppression efforts that targeted Black voters.

"We have long seen how Facebook has allowed some of the worst elements of society into our homes and our lives," ADL CEO Jonathan Greenblatt said in a statement. "When this hate spreads online it causes tremendous harm and also becomes permissible offline."

He said the organizations had tried to "push Facebook to make their platforms safer," but said the company "repeatedly failed to take meaningful action."

"We hope this campaign finally shows Facebook how much their users and their advertisers want them to make serious changes for the better," Greenblatt wrote.

Facebook targets Trump ads

Facebook last week said it had taken action against ads run by President Trump's re-election campaign for breaching its policies on hate. The ads, which attacked what the Trump campaign described as "Dangerous MOBS of far-left groups," featured an upside-down triangle.

The Anti-Defamation League called the triangle "practically identical to that used by the Nazi regime to classify political prisoners in concentration camps."

"We removed these posts and ads for violating our policy against organized hate. Our policy prohibits using a banned hate group's symbol to identify political prisoners without the context that condemns or discusses the symbol," Andy Stone, a Facebook spokesperson, told CNN Business. The hate group to which Facebook was referring in its statement is Nazis, the company confirmed.

The Trump campaign claimed the red triangle was "a symbol widely used by Antifa," and pointed CNN Business to several links to poster, sticker, and magnet websites that sell unofficial merchandise designed by their users that contains the symbol. The campaign did not point to any examples of antifa activists wearing the symbol.

The ADL said Thursday that some antifa activists have used the symbol, but it is not particularly common.

What Zuckerberg has said

With protests and civil unrest in parts of the country, Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerburg said in a statement posted on his personal page on June 5 that the company would review its policies regarding state use of force, voter suppression and content moderation.

"To members of our Black community: I stand with you. Your lives matter. Black lives matter," Zuckerburg wrote, addressing the civil unrest taking place across the US.

Zuckerberg and his wife, Priscilla Chan, said last week they were "disgusted" by President Donald Trump's remarks on the nationwide protests against racial injustice, writing, "We are deeply shaken and disgusted by President Trump's divisive and incendiary rhetoric at a time when our nation so desperately needs unity."

That statement came days after more than 140 scientists who have received funding and support from the Chan Zuckerberg Initiative penned an open letter to Zuckerberg that urged him to "consider stricter policies on misinformation and incendiary language" on the platform, specifically pointing to Trump's post on the protests that read, "when the looting starts, the shooting starts."
ADL and friends have their sights on Facebook, in no small part because of the 2020 elections. So however bad it is now, it will get worse, probably within the month before this merger happens.

F/lying Frankenstein

Confused Fanatic
kiwifarms.net
Good question... why did Google buy YouTube if it wasn't making any money?
I'll share my thoughts on the matter.

It was a bet on an emerging field. And Google loves to have an already good starting point rather than making one from scratch and then competing.

But it is Google, which means that it was a bet that would never fail, it merely would take more money. Now, the reasons:

For data and social clout, first.
These two are backed by the idea that Youtube is essentially unrivaled in terms of captive audience, because nobody leaves Youtube to another platform when you watch something there.

Allow me to elaborate: Data is the core of Google business. It is how they make money ( Selling your information to third parties and spoofing their algorythm to show the businesses that pay for ranking on the first page ). So, when you make more money than God by data, your first order of business, is the improve the quantity of data that you can get, or to get data from more places. All to make more money. The first option is tough, given how lawmakers try to restrict shit. So the second it is, and that's why Youtube is useful.

Youtube requires a Google account to comment or like a video. Which means that what you watch, what you like and what you say there can be added to your Google profile, which is then sold to third parties. I'd argue that Google buying, maintaining, and enlarging the audience is a continuation of their main business on another field, video hosting.

Now the social clout: Youtube has broadened their audience and now essentially reigns supreme on the field of video hosting. Because Google invest in it, with means that it cannot be matched by its main rivals ( Dailymotion, for instance) in terms of both user interface, the video player quality or merely the buffering speed.

That, and the lack of easy and well-known alternatives makes the normie audience captive of Youtube. I mean, just look at how fast you can get content watched by hundred of thousands of people

I'll take for exemple Itsagundam latest video about Pokimane ( Pokimane the Carole Baskin of Twitch Apologized, But not Really )
At the time of posting this, the video has been watched 128k times. In one day. Find me other place where you can get that degree of exposure, even when you consider the censorship, the algorythmic fuckery and the notification manipulation. And Gundam isn't really that big.

Google has invested in Youtube and made the place into a prison with gilded bars, where users don't want to get out and creators want to be in, even with the bars.
Even fringe creators like Computing Forever always post some videos there, even though they have to restrict themselves in both content and tone.

So, I'd argue that Google has transformed Youtube into an unavoidable virtual square where creators have to be. Youtube gives Google a dominant position that completes their initial business, and the current censorship has yet to scatter the normies.
It is not profitable in and of itself, but it gives a strategical edge to Google. And it also allows pandering and virtue signal on a global scale, but that's a field that I know nothing about.

I hope that was useful.

The Last Stand

Kiwi Farms Popularity Judge
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Mixer was once Beam. That didn't last long.

I actually expected Mixer to last longer than it has.

Anyway, here's some reactions of Mixer streamers reacting to the news. Evidently, they gave money to Mixer hoping for them and the platform to explode in popularity.

I feel a little bad that Microsoft just threw the rug under them, but at the same time, don't quit your regular job. There's no telling how long this Internet fame would last.

disky

Harusist
kiwifarms.net

Anyway, here's some reactions of Mixer streamers reacting to the news. Evidently, they gave money to Mixer hoping for them and the platform to explode in popularity.

I feel a little bad that Microsoft just threw the rug under them, but at the same time, don't quit your regular job. There's no telling how long this Internet fame would last.
The girl in the thumbnail is sad now that she needs to sell feetpics for a living

Gravityqueen4life

Red Apple yumyum
kiwifarms.net

dont tell her onlyfans is a thing.

Broadwing

kiwifarms.net
Running through the Mixer streams yesterday was great popcorn fodder. People were streaming whatever because who cares about tos now lol, people were opening channel mod up to everyone, and partners were openly discussing how to min/max Facebook's money offer to get $2500 then fuck off after and never use it again.

The common theme was 'no way in hell do I want to be associated with Facebook' and that tells you volumes about how this purchase will go down.

Letthepowerofgoutcompelyo

Holder of a 14 star George the animal steele card
kiwifarms.net
I went over to piss away my leftover sparks and shit is like the last days of Fametracker, no fucks are given. Most of these people really are not watchable or really worth looking at, they'll fail even harder on their new platforms and maybe, learn a lesson about acting conceited about their non-fame all this time.

The obsessive focus on Fortnite made sure it was only hairless preteen boys who just came in through the mixer tab on the xbone dashboard and they never spent a cent.

Last edited:
Tags
None