Microsoft pulls entire Hololens 2 campaign after public backlash - "This satanic performance artist will be the perfect figurehead for our product!"

#zzz

kiwifarms.net
From Microsoft’s marketing department’s perspective, Ms. Abramović’s art seems to have been the perfect theme for their new HoloLens 2 peripherals that mix virtual reality with augmented reality. However, the public did not agree with the artist’s participation.

In a YouTube video and website page, the technology company showed a preview of the HoloLens 2 by presenting “The Life”, Marina Abramović’s newest work.

Viewers showed strong rejection of Abramović’s presence, at first downvoting the video to the extent that Microsoft locked comments, then locked likes, then removed the video completely from YouTube.

Before its deletion, more than 25,000 negative votes could be counted, while the positive ones barely reached 626 at the time of screengrab.

Microsoft has also deleted the entire campaign from their website, but not before we made a copy for our records. The URL currently redirects to Microsoft’s culture page.

“Marina Abramović is likely the most acclaimed performance artist living today. Known for risky performances that push the limits of human endurance, it’s difficult to overstate her importance within the art world and pop culture at large,” the now-deleted page read.

Abramovic claims that Microsoft’s mixed reality is the best way to preserve her art.

For her, the future of art lies in the transmission of energy between the viewer and the artist, and not in the perception of material objects. The artist hopes that once she is gone, her performances can still be appreciated thanks to the mixed reality.

marina.jpg

Last edited:

Tim Buckley

Suffering
kiwifarms.net
Can someone explain me why that video was so massively hated? I get that when you research the artist's background she seams like a very shady creepy fuck but I never heard about "spirit cooking" before and I don't think the general public was aware enough to create the backlash.

I'm seriously confused about all this, also the allegations about her "witchcraft" are so over-the-top heinous and horrible it sounds more like a pizza-gate tier conspiracy than reality to me.

Perhaps I'm understimating the ammount of fear modern Americans still have to paganism/Satan.

Knight

kiwifarms.net
Can someone explain me why that video was so massively hated? I get that when you research the artist's background she seams like a very shady creepy fuck but I never heard about "spirit cooking" before and I don't think the general public was aware enough to create the backlash.

I'm seriously confused about all this, also the allegations about her "witchcraft" are so over-the-top heinous and horrible it sounds more like a pizza-gate tier conspiracy than reality to me.

Perhaps I'm understimating the ammount of fear modern Americans still have to paganism/Satan.
The Wikipedia article is biased and sparsely detailed in places that matter but it's a good to start to understanding something not worth knowing or caring about. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pizzagate_conspiracy_theory

Edit: I had forgotten some dumb fucking boomer showed up at the place with a rifle and demanded to see the basement. That was intensely funny at the time.

Tim Buckley

Suffering
kiwifarms.net
The Wikipedia article is biased and sparsely detailed in places that matter but it's a good to start to understanding something not worth knowing or caring about. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pizzagate_conspiracy_theory

Edit: I had forgotten some dumb fucking boomer showed up at the place with a rifle and demanded to see the basement. That was intensely funny at the time.
Anyone who actually believes in Pizza gate is a exceptional moron.
I'm asking about why the backlash on Hololens video was so big, I wasn't expecting the general public to actually be invested or care about that stuff that much.

Knight

kiwifarms.net
Anyone who actually believes in Pizza gate is a exceptional moron.
I'm asking about why the backlash on Hololens video was so big, I wasn't expecting the general public to actually be invested or care about that stuff that much.
That's exactly it. No one cared about the release. The video was heavily brigaded by conspiracy nuts because she featured in the advertising..

Tags
None