Microsoft will unveil the next version of Windows on June 24th - What's next after Windows 10?

• The site is having difficulties because our bandwidth is totally overextended. Our 1Gbps line is at 100% even when there aren't 8000 people on the site. We were supposed to get a second Gbps line months ago but I'm struggling to get technicians scheduled to set it up.

DNA_JACKED

Pronouns are Ni/Gg/Er: proud transracialwomankin
kiwifarms.net
>No Surface Pro 4, Surface Pro 2017, or Surface Studio Support
Even Microsoft's own hardware is fucked, and these things have the TPM Chip
View attachment 2297448
This is genuinely retarded. A PC with a 2 core celeron can run windows 11 but one with a quad core 7700k cant? And that 11th gen celeron and 7th gen i7 are both based on the skylake core.

I'd love to hear what MS's justification for this is.

Pinochet Was Right

And he did nothing wrong
kiwifarms.net
< The bottom position is the only location for the taskbar going forward.
Never ever since its inception did the side taskbar ever fucking work properly, especially since a lot of things in the notification area were made with horizontal in mind. Side position was like an afterthought, so if they wouldn't fix it, removal is acceptable.

< Applications may no longer customize taskbar areas
At least give me the ability to do it natively. Letting people pick between center and left icons is a step on the right direction, what about the rest? Or if they mean 3rd party apps messing with the taskbar, okay.

< People is removed.
>Wallet is removed.
>Cortana is no longer included in the first boot experienced or pinned to the taskbar.

Remnants of the Windows Phone days. Begone.

< Some icons may no longer appear in the System Tray.
Some aren't necessary to be shown 24/7 since the right side panel is being finished as a quick settings control center instead of being a half-measured remnant of the Windows 8 days.

< Named groups and application folders are no longer supported.
Does this mean "all apps" is just a glorified Android app drawer now? NOT COOL

< Layout is not resizable, currently.
No opinion, I'd have to try it to see if I feel the need to resize it and get frustrated

< Live Tiles are no longer available.
Expected with the new left-side panel replacing the functionality. But they were useful to make the tiles into a custom app drawer with app grouping. Now we just have the pinned icons as a Launchpad equivalent which is not bad by itself, but if the "all apps" list is nerfed too then fuckin' REEEEEEEEE

< Pinned apps and sites won't be migrated.
>3D Viewer, OneNote for Windows 10, Paint 3D and Skype won't be installed anymore on new systems. They remain available when systems are upgraded.
Minor hassle.

>Timeline feature is removed.
Remnant of the Cortana days. I tried using it when I was using MS Launcher on my phone, but never synced properly and was more responsive on my phone's side helping me get back into a site from PC Edge to Mobile Edge (and even then it's more intuitive to send the page through the Your Phone app). On the PC's side it just shows irrelevant stuff.

>Internet Explorer is disabled. IE Mode in Edge is available to fill the gap.
Finally.

>News and Interests has evolved into Windows Widgets.
I repeat, this better be a proper live tile replacement in W11 instead of the glorified webpage it is currently on Windows 10. The W10 news app and its tile work as an aggregator of relevant local news sources instead of their shitty embedded msn.com curated-for-consoomers headlines. The weather app and its tile act as a handy equivalent to a phone's native weather app. A quick view into the inbox, sticky notes, etc would be nice. But if it's the same as the current incarnation on Windows 10, then REEEEEEEEEEEEEE

>Quick Status removed from the lockscreen and from settings.
Never paid attention to it and 90% of the content was irrelevant. Poorly thought attempt at copying a phone's lock screen info, but people don't use a PC's lock screen like a phone's.

>S Mode is exclusive to Windows 11 Home Edition.
AKA "locked for dummies and poor people" mode.

>Snipping Tool continues to be available but functionality has been replaced with the Snip & Sketch tool functionality.
They'd better map it to PrintScreen then, not some unintuitive Win key combination.

Last edited:

AnOminous

I hated Woody Woodpecker and Scooby-Doo.
Retired Staff
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
But why would they go after a OS with few users, many of which are tech savvy and the majority of things are free?
How can they force everyone into their walled garden if there's a functional alternative? It's why they're flooding open source projects with troons and dangerhairs to destroy them with wokeshit and retarded CoCs.
Enterprise won’t ever have that shit as mandatory though, and neither will LTSC.
There will probably always be places like banks and secure facilities that will just flat out not allow Chinese surveillance equipment into their facilities. Just buy whatever those people buy.

ZMOT

wat
kiwifarms.net
< Some icons may no longer appear in the System Tray.
Some aren't necessary to be shown 24/7 since the right side panel is being finished as a quick settings control center instead of being a half-measured remnant of the Windows 8 days.
if they don't need to be in the systray I just disable the icon in the program itself, never understood the point of literally having a tray so you can see which programs are running in the background but hiding it behind a click.

>3D Viewer, OneNote for Windows 10, Paint 3D and Skype won't be installed anymore on new systems. They remain available when systems are upgraded.
Minor hassle.
only if you don't use them. as much as I hate ms shit and bundling literally everything, for easily viewing stl files 3d viewer is nifty (and I haven't found a proper replacement for it besides going full editor, but that's like opening photoshop to view an image).
question is if they'll be still available to install, possibly from the store, or if ms is retarded enough to drop them for good. since it includes skype I doubt it's the latter, but with ms you never know.

Pinochet Was Right

And he did nothing wrong
kiwifarms.net
only if you don't use them. as much as I hate ms shit and bundling literally everything, for easily viewing stl files 3d viewer is nifty (and I haven't found a proper replacement for it besides going full editor, but that's like opening photoshop to view an image).
question is if they'll be still available to install, possibly from the store, or if ms is retarded enough to drop them for good. since it includes skype I doubt it's the latter, but with ms you never know.
I use OneNote all the time. Mind you, I say it's no biggie based on the supposed ease of the new Store. It would be like getting a new phone, logging into the Google account, opening the store and downloading the app I'm gonna need. :optimistic:

Last edited:

Pee Cola

it's a real drink
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
They will have to backpedal eventually, the second coming of "There is a product for you, it's called Xbox 360" won't be tolerated by the enterprise market, which thrives on old stuff and has a stalwart resistance to changing it. I know there's still support for Windows 10 until 2025 but for them it's not gonna be an upgrade deadline, it's gonna be a terminal illness diagnosis.
Windows 10 LTSC 2019 (which is basically a stripped down version of W10 Enterprise) will be supported until 2029. (archive)

I don't think the enterprise sector is Microsoft's target audience for W11 yet.

Fools Idol

Call me Ishmael
kiwifarms.net
How many of can see yourselves "upgrading" to Windows 11? I can't really see my self doing it at all, my hardware pretty low end at this point but it's more than powerful enough to do what I want or to run an a fucking OS and the only real benefit I can see in Windows 11 is the way it's uses (supposedly anyway) SSD's. I have a SATA SSD as my boot drive and it's plenty fast and the only games I play on my PC are 10+ years old or could run on a tablet.

The prices for new hardware are fucking ridiculous and if MS thinks I going to buy a new PC just for this pile of shit they are insane, especially with how awful MS's software is.

Fuck Y'all

Ale ameryczka najlepsza, c'nie?
kiwifarms.net
I can see in Windows 11 is the way it's uses (supposedly anyway) SSD's. I have a SATA SSD as my boot drive and it's plenty fast and the only games I play on my PC are 10+ years old or could run on a tablet.
First, you need at least 1 TB SSD to use DirectStorage
Second, I'm not sure if DirectStorage need to be implemented in games as well

DNA_JACKED

kiwifarms.net
First, you need at least 1 TB SSD to use DirectStorage
Second, I'm not sure if DirectStorage need to be implemented in games as well
Yes, it will need to be implemented, as it changes how game engines load assets. It's a damn shame too, DirectStorage was a legitimately interesting API, something to finally take advantage of NVMe SSD speeds, and they gatekeep it behind this trash OS.
How many of can see yourselves "upgrading" to Windows 11? I can't really see my self doing it at all, my hardware pretty low end at this point but it's more than powerful enough to do what I want or to run an a fucking OS and the only real benefit I can see in Windows 11 is the way it's uses (supposedly anyway) SSD's. I have a SATA SSD as my boot drive and it's plenty fast and the only games I play on my PC are 10+ years old or could run on a tablet.

The prices for new hardware are fucking ridiculous and if MS thinks I going to buy a new PC just for this pile of shit they are insane, especially with how awful MS's software is.
No way. I'd have to upgrade several of my PCs, which are still running haswell hardware, and frankly I see no reason to spend that kind of money when they do their job of media streaming perfectly well. The only PC I have thats super high end is my gaming box, and that one already runs linux mint most of the time. Eventually I'll get GPU passthrough working on the second GPU and then I can have a windows 7 VM for any games that dont like proton.

Going forward, I see no reason to buy any new games that dont run in linux. Frankly I already have too many games, and I tend to play games for years. Yesterday I spent several hours playing the OG battlefront from 2004 and had a blast with friends. I have no real reason to use windows 11, and I doubt that will change anytime soon.

3119967d0c

"a brain" - @REGENDarySumanai
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I'd rather just not have to pay for shit I don't want.
I would be shocked if the cost of setting up to make both webcamless and bewebcammed models, and carrying stock of webcamless models, is not higher than the cost of the webcam.
Does this mean all those retarded installers that make folders with "Program", "Program Help", "Uninstall Program", "Readme", and so on are now going to dump it all right into the top-level Start menu?
OK now this is horrifying. OFC the start menu in Windows 10 is just something you click before typing the exact name of a program in already.

AnOminous

I hated Woody Woodpecker and Scooby-Doo.
Retired Staff
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I would be shocked if the cost of setting up to make both webcamless and bewebcammed models, and carrying stock of webcamless models, is not higher than the cost of the webcam.
So where do government facilities that don't even allow cell phones with cameras getting whatever they use?

It's a really horrible trend anyway. The built-in cams on these machines, even relatively expensive ones, are garbage tier, and if I am going to use that, I'm probably just going to buy an external camera and mic just not to look and sound like shit. And I can unplug those any time I like.

DNA_JACKED

kiwifarms.net
I bet they use Panasonic Toughbooks, you can still get those without webcams. Probably a lot of those places need hardened laptops anyway.
HP also allows you to customize laptops without a webcam, their probook and elitebook lines both offer this. Dell used to offer it on latitude lines, but now you have to be a large corporate customer or government office and special order them as such, even then I've heard dell is resistant to the idea.

Last edited:

820㎌Cap

Powering YOUR electronics since 1745!
kiwifarms.net
you have to be a large corporate customer or government office and special order them [laptops without cameras] as such, even then I've heard dell is resistant to the idea.
So you're saying that Dell is so retarded they literally refuse to shut up and take my money, even if I'm a government organization, in exchange for such a simple request?

ZMOT

wat
kiwifarms.net
I use OneNote all the time. Mind you, I say it's no biggie based on the supposed ease of the new Store. It would be like getting a new phone, logging into the Google account, opening the store and downloading the app I'm gonna need. :optimistic:
that's if they move the programs to the store, and not just go "well, if you want to use them install windows 10".

I have a SATA SSD as my boot drive and it's plenty fast and the only games I play on my PC are 10+ years old or could run on a tablet.
unless windows stops shitting up c: and stops being a POS where you can even properly move your profile folder I will never put in on a SSD. I don't constantly open and close programs, and just keep them running with enough ram, so access speed are a pretty pointless metric for me anyway.

DNA_JACKED

kiwifarms.net
So you're saying that Dell is so retarded they literally refuse to shut up and take my money, even if I'm a government organization, in exchange for such a simple request?
Yes, yes they are. Making a new display without the camera is just TOO MUCH WORK.

Dell was the same company that royally fucked up the design for the latitude 7410, sunsetted the design 2 months later, then refuse to exchange all their customers broken 7410s for 7420s. In fact, according to them there is nothing wrong with the design! (BTW the design fault was the use of a faulty intel AX6200 wifi chip and using part of the bottom frame for the antennae, resulting in transfer speeds of about 3 Mbps, latency over 1000ms, and packet collisions if you dared have more then 1 thing using the wifi at once. Total junk)

Same company that sold latitude 3390s with faulty charging circuits that constantly short and burn up, then refuse to warranty the parts due to "hazardous parts" unless you threaten them with a lawsuit. Yes we had to do that. Twice. And we still have to clarify what our lawyer told dell in the comments section every time we order a warranty part or else theyll refuse to send it again.

Same dell that cane make an inspiron that lasts more then 2 years now. Same dell that took 8 months to fulfill an order for 200 chromebooks, and shipped them to us without chromeOS licenses, then asked why we didnt buy the license from them.

Fuck dell.

Last edited:

byuu

Non-binary they/them
kiwifarms.net
Apparently everything in Windows 11 is now browser-based.

Even the taskbar let's you open Edge's caret browsing mode lol:
1625168995624.png