Microsoft will unveil the next version of Windows on June 24th - What's next after Windows 10?

• Registration closed, comedy forum, Internet drama, Sneed, etc.

Moths

Buzz Buzz
kiwifarms.net
Honestly the best thing they can do is butcher off every fucking thing off the OS and make it more lightweight so it actually runs half decently. I dont need fucking cortana, the xbox bullshit, and goddamn skype and a million telemetry preinstalled bullshit services.

But no doubt they are just going to make the os another couple gb bigger to hog more memory, release some "perfomance tweaks" (bugfixes) call it the best performing update ever that is moot because they taped more bullshit onto it that has to run at all times

ditto

kiwifarms.net
That didn't stop them from upgrading windows 7 and 8 computers that couldn't run windows 10 in the middle of the night.
The difference is that these computers literally can't run this version.
Had this exact experience with an old Dell Atom box running Windows 7 that was used for video conferencing. Arrive at work to find the thing had updated to Windows 10 and stuck on 1024x768 because the SiS graphics chip didn't have a Windows 10 driver.

Tookie

Mountain of Molten Lust
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
This is the first time where Microsoft has made everyone hate the product before even release in a week they went to

1. Ok maybeeeeee you can install it on old PCs
  2. But we are going to annoy you to dead
  3. ok the block is now only for upgrades but you dont get OS updates
  4. Well maybe you are going to get updates
  5. We specified what can be used and can we not (noticed that all the specifications of the CPUs they are shilling dont match) ok maybe there is some discrepancies but is all in the name of security <----you are here
They must have put the Xbone team in charge of the rollout.

Maurice Caine

I owe ya one.
kiwifarms.net
Haha. Programs are already version locking themselves:
View attachment 2510601
NATHAN LINEBACK WAS RIGHT WHAT THE FUCK
1630857127562.png

Kosher Dill

Potato Chips
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
NATHAN LINEBACK WAS RIGHT WHAT THE FUCK
View attachment 2514278
So far this isn't true though. At least for now, Secure Boot can still be disabled in BIOS, you're able to upload your own custom keys for Secure Boot (and/or delete Microsoft's keys), and Microsoft is playing nice as far as signing shim and grub for use by Linux. Nothing about Windows 11 is changing this.

Maurice Caine

I owe ya one.
kiwifarms.net
So far this isn't true though. At least for now, Secure Boot can still be disabled in BIOS, you're able to upload your own custom keys for Secure Boot (and/or delete Microsoft's keys), and Microsoft is playing nice as far as signing shim and grub for use by Linux. Nothing about Windows 11 is changing this.
Yeah, but they're gonna force you to use it through apps that won't allow you to run without it.

Kosher Dill

Potato Chips
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Yeah, but they're gonna force you to use it through apps that won't allow you to run without it.
Maybe. The screenshot that was posted was from a gacha game though, which are notorious for having the scummiest DRM. I'd worry more if we start seeing mainstream programs with no gambling components following suit.

Moths

Buzz Buzz
kiwifarms.net
What dies this secure boot shit really achieve though? I mean is it really neccessary to have some more shit added to the hardware to fuck with programs?

you can guarantee this is going to fuck up a lot, and as much as they wank themselves off about how secure it is you can bet its going to be compromised at some point like most 'secute' software ever especially since alot of hardware is backdoored anyway.

and at that point what is the fucking point. We've added more bloat to hardware and made it less efdicient all in the name of a security problem that never existed?

totallyrandomusername

kiwifarms.net
I'm running the beta of 11, and I have to say, not impressed. It's just a rounded corner version of 10, with slightly better "Settings" integration so the Control Panel is less prominent. They easily could have just made this a major update to Windows 10 and no one would have cared.

Kosher Dill

Potato Chips
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
What dies this secure boot shit really achieve though?
The idea isn't bad - preventing certain types of rootkits by requiring the code run at boot to be signed by a trusted source. So if malware gets access to your EFI partition and tries to write some sneaky code into your bootloader, the system will refuse to boot.
The issue is in the details - who controls the keys, signs firmware, and revokes signatures? By default most motherboards ship with Microsoft as the one and only "trusted source".
For now control still ultimately rests with the owner of the physical machine and you can manage it all yourself - even if most people will just go with the flow and trust Microsoft.

HumanHive

Human Behavior is Exceptional Behavior
kiwifarms.net
I'm running the beta of 11, and I have to say, not impressed. It's just a rounded corner version of 10, with slightly better "Settings" integration so the Control Panel is less prominent. They easily could have just made this a major update to Windows 10 and no one would have cared.
It was originally an update for Win10 but the hardware requirements caused them to make it the next mainline successor.

Cubanodun

Now augmented with Holodex
kiwifarms.net
Had this exact experience with an old Dell Atom box running Windows 7 that was used for video conferencing. Arrive at work to find the thing had updated to Windows 10 and stuck on 1024x768 because the SiS graphics chip didn't have a Windows 10 driver.
Did you try to use 3DP? sometimes they got weird hacked drivers that work with old machines
people forgot that Microsoft already has something like this, is the S-Mode where they forbid you to install anything outside of the Store, if you buy a cheap laptop on wallmart or amazon 9 out of 10 will come with it

It was originally an update for Win10 but the hardware requirements caused them to make it the next mainline successor.
Is technically a update if you dont mind not giving Microsoft any money, is funny how they love to shit the system to hell and dont even bother to bolster the activation system