Microsoft will unveil the next version of Windows on June 24th - What's next after Windows 10?

• Registration closed, comedy forum, Internet drama, Sneed, etc.

ForgedBlades

Milled wedges.
kiwifarms.net
Can I take advantage of your foolishness bravery to ask a few basic questions?

1. How easy is it to make the task bar full width and have icons and start menu left aligned as usual?
2. How easy / is it possible to still use the full screen start page instead of the little bottom left menu that was the default in Windows 10 or whatever the default menu system is in 11? I REALLY like my full screen start menu and have everything arranged into logical columns that help me manage it.
3. Does it still have multiple desktops?
1. I'm actually getting used to the center orientation, but it's easy to change.
1.jpg

2. As far as I can tell there's really no way to customize the start menu to any great extent. It's a definite possibility that I'm just retarded and not seeing it, so don't take my word for it, but it doesn't seem very customizable.

I haven't found a way to get rid of the "Recommended" from the new Start menu and it's driving me fucking insane. It either recommends apps I don't give a shit about or lists recently downloaded files, which I also really don't give a shit about.

2.jpg

Hitting the "All apps" button just gives you an old school start menu.

3.jpg

3. Yep, works the same as in W10 from what I can tell.

Never Scored

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I mean from Windows 11 announcement to release, it took like what 4 months? They used to hype new releases up.
I wouldn't be surprised if some fuckery was on the go behind the scenes. They went from saying Windows 10 was the final version and they'd just keep updating to pulling Windows 11 out of nowhere. I wouldn't be surprised if it was a way to force you to log into a Microsoft account and force in more analytics to better monetize users.

Spamton

Bitter Bitch
kiwifarms.net
So i'm actually taking the risk and upgrading to 11 from 10. It's currently at 90%, but I'm almost a little excited. Just a bit. Parts of it look good, other parts look... awful (i.e. i really don't like the mac-esque taskbar but i guess i'll see that when it's done installing), so i'm just really wondering how much i'll like it.

Beavis

Dilweed
kiwifarms.net
I wouldn't be surprised if some fuckery was on the go behind the scenes. They went from saying Windows 10 was the final version and they'd just keep updating to pulling Windows 11 out of nowhere. I wouldn't be surprised if it was a way to force you to log into a Microsoft account and force in more analytics to better monetize users.
They probably did it cause Apple changed the name of macOS to 11 with the last major release.

Spamton

Bitter Bitch
kiwifarms.net
This is the general consensus. Microsoft was deadset on just making this a major update, like a service pack, until macOS 11 came out, then suddenly, they changed course.
microsoft please just focus on one OS.
That aside, my explorer is freezing far more often on 11. :\

WinnieTheJew

Honey guzzling shekel collector.
kiwifarms.net
They probably did it cause Apple changed the name of macOS to 11 with the last major release.
Everyone knows the bigger number makes the computer go faster. 11 is a bigger number than 10. This is also why Apple switched their OS version to 11.

It's like that for guitar amps too. All the best equipment goes up to 11 because it's one louder.

PetrifiedTom

Po_0petrator
kiwifarms.net
I hate the TPM because in long run it will ban your machine from YT, Netflix and any other media if you do any mean stuff. Installing Windows 11 is like signing a contract with the devil that you won't do anything mean (i.e. cheat, download torrent, write undesired comment under comment section in YT) because if you do your PC can be easily signed-off the service because it has unique TPM that is required to run Windoshill 11. In any case the anonymity that was shrunk with Ad-ID is now even more abysmal. What is more infuriating is pure installation on PC without TPM will block any security updates in future, i.e. you will stick with Windows 11 shell open to all vulnerabilities because MS won't be interested in securing the operating system for PC's that can't be personalized.

For example, if you guys want to play Valorant bear in mind that by having Windows 11 the malware that comes along with Valorant writes a code into TPM making sure that it will run beneath everything else before even Windows prompt shows up. If you ever get caught cheating, they can easily ban your PC. Not the IP address, MAC address but the very mainboard with TPM you are using to play your game.

Valorant-Vanguard-TPM-2.0.jpg

Riot Games is just the pioneering control over player base. Same thing will come along with BattleNet, Origin, Windows Store and who knows... maybe even Steam, but as long as it will be Linux compatible not requiring TPM Linux players should be safe.

I am really considering abandoning Windows at all. Windows 11 is even more dreading with its telemetry than Windows 10.

Agent Abe Caprine

Still peacocking your mom.
kiwifarms.net
Thanks for making the feature update pause less accessible in the pro version of 20H2, Microsoft. I love digging through group policies for something that was easy to access for at least two years. Just change my wallpaper to "Nadella's bottom bitch" while you're at it.

PetrifiedTom

Po_0petrator
kiwifarms.net
If you want to play Valorant and install their rootkit, you deserve whatever you get.
Don't game on PCs.

Just wait till web browser will prompt the windows that you can't add comment or view video on YT because you are missing TPM because it is leading towards it. The latest shill with Facebook proves that companies want more control over their userbase and do everything they must to personalize every user using PC in their home.

P.S. Console can be banned either.

Overly Serious

kiwifarms.net
1. I'm actually getting used to the center orientation, but it's easy to change.
View attachment 2603286

2. As far as I can tell there's really no way to customize the start menu to any great extent. It's a definite possibility that I'm just retarded and not seeing it, so don't take my word for it, but it doesn't seem very customizable.

I haven't found a way to get rid of the "Recommended" from the new Start menu and it's driving me fucking insane. It either recommends apps I don't give a shit about or lists recently downloaded files, which I also really don't give a shit about.

View attachment 2603305

Hitting the "All apps" button just gives you an old school start menu.

View attachment 2603310

3. Yep, works the same as in W10 from what I can tell.

I wanted to say thanks directly for the information. This stuff is a big deal to me. I've also heard that it displays ads in the Start menu! That's unacceptable in a product I pay for to try and exploit me for additional ad revenues.

I genuinely think Windows is the superior OS under the hood. You can see my occasional posts here if you want to see me argue why. But MS seem determined to drag it in a direction I can't go.

I don't have much time right now but next month I'm going to investigate going back to GNU/Linux. It's what I used to use before Windows 8. Maybe time to go home. :(

Belvedere

The under appreciated classic.
kiwifarms.net
I've been using Linux for over a year on my older PCs in conjunction with my daily driver Windows PC but the more I keep seeing the intrusive features MS is including in Windows (and most likely will continue to expand in future updates) I'll have to seriously put my nose to the grindstone and learn Linux in-depth and make the definitive jump to it because what they are doing is, for me, unacceptable.

For work there is literally one program I use that still ties me to Windows, I've tried to find ways to make it work on Wine but it has been unsuccessful so far and the company that makes it has no plans to release a Linux version, I really don't want to abandon it but if push comes to shove I have my eye on an alternative program that I'm willing to invest time to learn.

I thank the Heavens for Valve's efforts and the miracle work they are pulling off with Proton, it is crazy how good it has gotten and now that they have announced that Epic will include compatibility with Easy-Anti-Cheat that is going to open the gate for more people to look into Linux as a viable platform for gaming.