Microsoft will unveil the next version of Windows on June 24th - What's next after Windows 10?

• Registration closed, comedy forum, Internet drama, Sneed, etc.

BroccoliBrain

my corpus callosum is on fire
kiwifarms.net
Yes, and I plug it here incessantly.

Windows 10 LTSC 2019 has guaranteed security updates till 2029! Don't miss out!
I'm on that one, I'm considering the next one if I ever upgrade to an AMD system because of the Ryzen scheduler updates. But that one will only have 5 years of support...

e: yeah going forward M$ will only support LTSC for 5 years, so LTSC 2019 will actually have more longevity than the one dropping this quarter or so but only by a couple of years. I hate these choices.

Last edited:

Smaug's Smokey Hole

Brain open for rental(rent free)
kiwifarms.net
I'm running LTSC 2019 with a Ryzen and it seems fine, though I'm not really pushing it anywhere near its limit to begin with.
I know you wrote up a tutorial of sorts at some point, but how do you upgrade to or acquire a LTSC license? I'm already on Pro and I remember that was a necessity.

Kosher Dill

Potato Chips
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
how do you upgrade to or acquire a LTSC license? I'm already on Pro and I remember that was a necessity.
About upgrading: I believe it might be possible to upgrade in-place with some hackery but it's not officially supported and you're going to want to do a fresh install of LTSC. It's termed an "upgrade" for licensing purposes only.
To have a fully licensed installation of LTSC you actually need two licenses: one for Win10 Pro (or Win7 or 8.1 Pro, at least by my reading of the terms), and then the Win10 LTSC license. When you install LTSC it won't actually check for the existence of the Pro license, so you could probably get away with not having one unless you're big enough of a customer that Microsoft feels like auditing you.

To get an LTSC license you have to go through Microsoft's volume licensing program. This isn't very hard, you just need to order 5 VL licenses at once and the seller should set up an account for you. You don't really have to be a business, you can just buy the licenses as yourself and they'll just put your name as the business name.
I did mine through Provantage - I believe Newegg Business, CDW, and SoftwareMedia are also fine choices. You're not locked into a vendor after that - you can buy more licenses from anyone later on and just point them to your existing VL account.
The 5 licenses you buy can be anything, it's fine to order one LTSC license and then 4 of the cheapest thing they have. Most people use something like one CAL for Microsoft Identity Manager as their "filler" product.
Be aware that Pro versions of Windows are not managed through VL and can't be used to count toward your initial 5 licenses.

The SKU you want for LTSC 2019 is KW4-00190 - be sure you're getting the right one since there are a lot of indistinguishable and poorly-explained licensing options in this space.

Good luck :semperfidelis:

Kosher Dill

Potato Chips
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
About upgrading: I believe it might be possible to upgrade in-place with some hackery but it's not officially supported and you're going to want to do a fresh install of LTSC. It's termed an "upgrade" for licensing purposes only.
To have a fully licensed installation of LTSC you actually need two licenses: one for Win10 Pro (or Win7 or 8.1 Pro, at least by my reading of the terms), and then the Win10 LTSC license. When you install LTSC it won't actually check for the existence of the Pro license, so you could probably get away with not having one unless you're big enough of a customer that Microsoft feels like auditing you.

To get an LTSC license you have to go through Microsoft's volume licensing program. This isn't very hard, you just need to order 5 VL licenses at once and the seller should set up an account for you. You don't really have to be a business, you can just buy the licenses as yourself and they'll just put your name as the business name.
I did mine through Provantage - I believe Newegg Business, CDW, and SoftwareMedia are also fine choices. You're not locked into a vendor after that - you can buy more licenses from anyone later on and just point them to your existing VL account.
The 5 licenses you buy can be anything, it's fine to order one LTSC license and then 4 of the cheapest thing they have. Most people use something like one CAL for Microsoft Identity Manager as their "filler" product.
Be aware that Pro versions of Windows are not managed through VL and can't be used to count toward your initial 5 licenses.

The SKU you want for LTSC 2019 is KW4-00190 - be sure you're getting the right one since there are a lot of indistinguishable and poorly-explained licensing options in this space.

Good luck :semperfidelis:
Of course right after I write this whole thing, I get an email notifying me that the MS Open License program is ending at the end of the year. Existing licenses will still be good forever, but you won't be able to buy new ones through this same channel.
Open License is being replaced with something else called "Cloud Solution Provider". Perpetual licenses will still be available but it's anyone's guess as to how the new program will work or if it will be as easy for non-business customers to get an account.
If you want to buy LTSC licenses, maybe now is the time.

Amerimutt

kiwifarms.net
Apparently everything in Windows 11 is now browser-based.
That reminds me of how Windows 98 had intertwined Internet Explorer with the File Explorer. You could search for files on IE and search the web on the file explorer. Are they trying to do the same thing with Edge?

Never Scored

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
i aint downloading windows 11. i could buy a new computer and make sure to format it just to install windows 10. i'll stick with 10 until its completely unsupported like 7 now.
Hopefully by then we have tech like Raspberry Pi's powerful enough to emulate console and pc games from the early 2000s to early 2010s. I don't play many games less than decade old on my PC nowadays.

Manul Otocolobus

Angriest Feline in the World
kiwifarms.net
i aint downloading windows 11. i could buy a new computer and make sure to format it just to install windows 10. i'll stick with 10 until its completely unsupported like 7 now.

Just make sure you don't do this with any processor that uses the Big;Little processor configuration like Intel's new 12th gen systems. They are only compatible with Windows 11. If you downgrade to Windows 10, 1/2 the cores in your CPU will stop functioning.

Michael Janke

kiwifarms.net
Just make sure you don't do this with any processor that uses the Big;Little processor configuration like Intel's new 12th gen systems. They are only compatible with Windows 11. If you downgrade to Windows 10, 1/2 the cores in your CPU will stop functioning.
i usually stick with AMD processors. hopegully none of those are Windows 11 locked.

Spasticus Autisticus

kiwifarms.net
That’s not true. All of the cores will function, it’s just that Windows 10 doesn’t know the difference between the cores so it won’t balance threads as efficiently across the cores as Windows 11 can.