'Midnight Sun' is finally here and 'Twilight' fans have already started binge-reading it - a how-to on how you piss off history majors with your persephone and hades retelling

ComeoutandJULAY

BURN BURN BURN TO THE GROUND BU-BURN TO THE GROUND
kiwifarms.net
Didn't a character imprint on baby
I think that was later on, actually. IIRC it was Jacob imprinting on Bella and Edward's spawn like a fucking creeper. I'm not entirely sure. I've never read these books because, well, why the hell would I?

I equally don't remember Doug's reaction to it. I don't think it was as spergtacular as his whole spiel about the abortion thing.

TaimuRadiu

Kaiserin
kiwifarms.net
How shit is this compared to the rest of the Twilight books?

I'm not really a good judge of this, I immediately stopped reading Twilight once they got to the vampire baseball scene.

UnsufficentBoobage

Atleast things I wanna fuck are 3D
kiwifarms.net
I never got what was so special about these books, but atleast, unlike Sunglasses after dark, it didn't make me retch.

They are boring, yes. But then again, most romance-with-supernatural books are (I am plowing through Tanith Lee archive right now, and ffs, she seemingly only wrote ONE good thing, and it's non-romantical and a shortie), and all the books which go "umm, what you know about vampires is wrooong lol" are, so?..

jellycar

Bonjour, je suis Jelly Duvall
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Maybe it's because I'm just so burnt out by all the other shit media that has come out in more recent years, but was Twilight really that bad?

I mean, yeah, it was poorly-written, and had a fuckton of horrifying implications, but was it really that bad? I genuinely do not remember.

Twilight, but all the characters are replaced with KF users. Null can be head of the Voltaire, or something.
Oooh can I play Anna Kendrick and not remember what I'm doing in it as well?

• Winner
Reactions: Uncanny Valley

Coffee Druid

Your friendly caffeinated chevalier
kiwifarms.net
But what is it even about? I never watched or read the series so all I know is from watching others review it. But all I'm seeing is how much people hate Twilight and not much else. Which is valid, but you know.

I guess if an author I really like published a sequel of a series I enjoyed as a kid I might be nostalgic and want to read it. Though this was never a kids series of course (not that it stopped fifth graders I used to know reading it). But it's just a book series.

Petronella

kiwifarms.net
I think that was later on, actually. IIRC it was Jacob imprinting on Bella and Edward's spawn like a fucking creeper. I'm not entirely sure. I've never read these books because, well, why the hell would I?

I equally don't remember Doug's reaction to it. I don't think it was as spergtacular as his whole spiel about the abortion thing.
It's even grosser; IIRC it's implied that Jacob only had feelings for Bella because he was drawn to her egg that would eventually become Renesmee.
But what is it even about? I never watched or read the series so all I know is from watching others review it. But all I'm seeing is how much people hate Twilight and not much else. Which is valid, but you know.

I guess if an author I really like published a sequel of a series I enjoyed as a kid I might be nostalgic and want to read it. Though this was never a kids series of course (not that it stopped fifth graders I used to know reading it). But it's just a book series.
Midnight Sun is a retelling of the first Twilight book from the POV of Edward instead of Bella.

Coffee Druid

Your friendly caffeinated chevalier
kiwifarms.net
It's even grosser; IIRC it's implied that Jacob only had feelings for Bella because he was drawn to her egg that would eventually become Renesmee.

Midnight Sun is a retelling of the first Twilight book from the POV of Edward instead of Bella.
That is not what I had in mind at all. So it’s not even a sequel written long after the original, it’s just a rehash of what’s already been done.

Petronella

kiwifarms.net
That is not what I had in mind at all. So it’s not even a sequel written long after the original, it’s just a rehash of what’s already been done.
Pretty much.
Much of the motivation behind it, at least when it was first in the works, was to address criticisms of the books being sexist or Edward being abusive. The idea was "oh this thing he did in the original seemed creepy, but here are his thoughts behind doing it."

• Informative
Reactions: Dysnomia

jellycar

Bonjour, je suis Jelly Duvall
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Pretty much.
Much of the motivation behind it, at least when it was first in the works, was to address criticisms of the books being sexist or Edward being abusive. The idea was "oh this thing he did in the original seemed creepy, but here are his thoughts behind doing it."
It's so unnecessary but the twihards will eat it up unfortunately

Kari Kamiya

"I beat her up, so I gave her a cuck-cup."
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
If Meyer had the foresight, she could've jumped between POVs throughout the book, but that would've meant making Bella an actual character instead of a self-insertion. And who knows if that would've still made Twilight as popular.

• Thunk-Provoking
Reactions: Syaoran Li

Frog Gremlin

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
paranormal romance is an absolute shitbin of a genre, and twilight the most average of its kind I've ever come across. there was nothing particularly egregiously terrible about it when you compare it to others in the genre (marked and the earlier installments of vampire diaries definitely strike me as more poorly written). it just had more media attention and a rabid fanbase of teen girls and undersexed moms.

Xerxes IX

Neko Atsume cat named Sargon of Aclawed next?
kiwifarms.net
Pretty much.
Didn't she do this again by writing a gender swapped version of the first book? (chronologically it was written after Midnight Sun, but released first)

Tags
None