Military Plane discussion thread - Let’s talk Fighter/Attacker planes.

Best Vietnam Era Plane?

• F-104 Starfighter

Votes: 4 9.1%
  • F-5 Freedom Fighter/F-5E Tiger II

Votes: 4 9.1%
  • F-4 Phantom II

Votes: 16 36.4%
  • F-105 Thunderchief

Votes: 5 11.4%
  • F-111 Aardvark

Votes: 7 15.9%
  • F-100 Super Sabre

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A-1 Skyraider

Votes: 5 11.4%
  • B-52 Stratofortress

Votes: 11 25.0%
  • B-47 Stratojet

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Fuck the Vietnam War!! Make Love, Not War

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • A-7 Corsair II

Votes: 3 6.8%
  • A-4 Skyhawk

Votes: 2 4.5%
  • AC-47 Spooky

Votes: 6 13.6%
  • AC-130

Votes: 6 13.6%

• Total voters

RedRightHand

Why are you reading this.
kiwifarms.net
Any fixed wing aircraft is something I love, sleek designs and aesthetics are what I'm all about. Nazi Germany designed the Horten Ho in the last days of World War 2. It was a wonderwaffe that consumed fuel like crazy and was really never mass produced or practical for mass production, but it is impressive for the time it was made.
I love B2's as well ofc.
This thing has a terrible safety record but again, I have a thing for sleek looking aircraft that are gimmicky. This is expensive, dangerous (for the pilot, basically any fuckups are heavily punished, and performing a successful autorotation on a v22 is extremely difficult allegedly), and cool. I also like Apaches and Chinooks.

Arctic Fox

Does it have to be so cold?
kiwifarms.net
I will always hold a special affinity for the B29. Such a beautiful weapon of war.

The Un-Clit

Can you find it? come on in, look closer!
kiwifarms.net
No Spooky :heart-empty:
Agreed! no love for the spooky gunship? That thing was fucking voodoo. Death out of nowhere in the middle of the night from a converted cargo plane raining hot metal from a pylon turn.

Take the F-104 out of this list and put in the Spooky. The F-104 killed more NATO pilots then entire squadrons of MiG-21s.

Gustav Schuchardt

kiwifarms.net
The F-35 gets a lot of shit but it changes the strategic balance between the US and China. The US and its allies have a bunch of "helicopter carriers", LHA, LPH, LHD, etc which could accommodate the F-35B and the F-35B can take off from a very minimal airbase with no runway. So in a war with China the US would have a lot more places for fast jets to take off from.

In fact it's plausible in a war without the F-35B China would attempt to use ballistic missiles to sink US carriers and cut runways in US and allied bases in an attempt to stop allied jets taking off. With the F-35B that is almost impossible.

Of course this sort of thing is not lost on the Chinese, and it makes a war less likely.

Was it a good idea to roll the VTOL program into the program developing land and carrier based planes? Maybe not. Still it did guarantee the US and its allies have a bunch of stealthy, supersonic VTOL aircraft and that I think is strategically important.

tl;dr - the F-35B dindu nuffin wrong. It's tryin' to get its life in order, plannin' to go to Asia to defend freedom.

Last edited:

Cedric_Eff

I’m the Lord of the Harvest!
kiwifarms.net
The F-35 gets a lot of shit but it changes the strategic balance between the US and China. The US and its allies have a bunch of "helicopter carriers", LHA, LPH, LHD, etc which could accommodate the F-35B and the F-35B can take off from a very minimal airbase with no runway. So in a war with China the US would have a lot more places for fast jets to take off from.

In fact it's plausible in a war without the F-35B China would attempt to use ballistic missiles to sink US carriers and cut runways in US and allied bases in an attempt to stop allied jets taking off. With the F-35B that is almost impossible.

Of course this sort of thing is not lost on the Chinese, and it makes a war less likely.

Was it a good idea to roll the VTOL program into the program developing land and carrier based planes? Maybe not. Still it did guarantee the US and its allies have a bunch of stealthy, supersonic VTOL aircraft and that I think is strategically important.

tl;dr - the F-35B dindu nuffin wrong. It's tryin' to get its life in order, plannin' to go to Asia to defend freedom.
But hey, at least they didn’t go for Boeing’s alternative. cough cough *Pelican* cough cough.

Reactions: Gustav Schuchardt

EurocopterTigre

S-s-stop staring at my tail rotor baka~
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net

Lockheed Martin shill pls go.

The X-32 was as mission capable if not moreso and could do SVTOL. The JSF's teething problems have left large chunks of them to more or less grounded and they have had massive cost overruns.

Autopsy

kiwifarms.net
The AMX is behind half a century but I like the way it looks. Almost like something a kid would draw when prompted with "cool fighter plane", except it actually flies.

break these cuffs

You must attack the word bastards
kiwifarms.net
The X-32 reminds me of the Corsair II and is thus the superior aircraft. I also liked flying the X-32 more in '97's pc flight simulator Joint Strike Fight. Check and mate. The A-7 Corsair II is also missing from the poll.

Gustav Schuchardt

kiwifarms.net
Lockheed Martin shill pls go.
If wanting our brave marine aviators, who volunteered to put their lives on the line to defend our freedoms, the tools they need to rather than scrimping and trying to save a measly few hundred billion dollars makes me a shill, then so be it.

Let me tell you of Ernesto Valdes, the bravest man I ever met. I was on a Senate visit to highly moderate rebels in Iran. Ernesto was a first generation Cuban American who had volunteered for Operation Iranian Freedom. As he lay dying from injuries in a field hospital I was the only man with him as my Secret Service security detail had ushered his relatives out of the room. Before he passed he said to me "Senator, all we ask of you folks back home is that you give us the tools we need".

I swore an oath that day to do so and today I introduce the Ernesto Valdes Tools We Need Act, incorporating the Near Peer Competitor Air Superiority Program comprising the F-45, F-50 and F-55 procurements, all of which will create over five hundred jobs in my state.

God bless America and God Bless our great armed forces
🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸

Last edited:

Cedric_Eff

I’m the Lord of the Harvest!
kiwifarms.net
The X-32 reminds me of the Corsair II and is thus the superior aircraft. I also liked flying the X-32 more in '97's pc flight simulator Joint Strike Fight. Check and mate. The A-7 Corsair II is also missing from the poll.
Too bad Boeing couldn’t get their act together back then tho. If they had their demonstrator fully completed, they might’ve had a chance.

Also added the A-7 on the poll, just for you!

Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1DgS5RfHw7xA82Yxa5BtgZL65ngwSk6bmm
ETH: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
LTC: LSZsFCLUreXAZ9oyc9JRUiRwbhkLCsFi4q
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino