Military Plane discussion thread - Let’s talk Fighter/Attacker planes.

Doctor Placebo

Marvel's Superior 2D Aryan Superwoman
kiwifarms.net
I don't know all that much about planes to begin with, but this is the most beautiful machine everrrr...how does it fly! I want to use the toilet in one just to say I shit in it :katsu:

View attachment 1165571View attachment 1165572
This may be the most sci-fi spaceship looking plane ever and actually did its job well to boot, unlike all that experimental Third Reich shit that never made it out of the conceptual stage that people like to drool over. Iconic, 10/10.

Muzzilicious

Gixxer Grinder
kiwifarms.net
This may be the most sci-fi spaceship looking plane ever and actually did its job well to boot, unlike all that experimental Third Reich shit that never made it out of the conceptual stage that people like to drool over. Iconic, 10/10.
Super agree!! What I posted is the new upcoming one (B-21). Hides more of the engines I guess, but has all the new shiny things now too.

• Informative
Reactions: greengrilledcheese

break these cuffs

don't know where I am
kiwifarms.net

How about the Fairchild Republic A-10 Thunderbolt II? A plane built around a gun so big, it has to be mounted off-center. Able to take a punch just as much as it can give, on top of being ugly as hell.
They are absolutely beloved by grunts and hated by elements of the Air Force high command because they aren't cool stealth jets. I never had the opportunity to have one do a gun run, but a Super Cobra gun runs at night are mighty impressive themselves. Slow moving CAS that can loiter on station has always been beloved by ground elements. The A-1 Skyraider is another example from Korea and Vietnam.

Reactions: CDWLTY

BONE_Buddy

Still Alive.
kiwifarms.net
Super agree!! What I posted is the new upcoming one (B-21). Hides more of the engines I guess, but has all the new shiny things now too.

One of the big things on the B-21 is that is will be able to fly over 10,000 feet higher than the B-2.

It will also be cheaper and easier to maintain (buying in bulk and lessons learned). On the other hand it will also be quite a bit smaller.

It will also be stealthier, but by how much and why, well... that is a state secret.

Reactions: Muzzilicious

TiggerNits

Yankee vampire living off the blood of the poor
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
They are absolutely beloved by grunts and hated by elements of the Air Force high command because they aren't cool stealth jets. I never had the opportunity to have one do a gun run, but a Super Cobra gun runs at night are mighty impressive themselves. Slow moving CAS that can loiter on station has always been beloved by ground elements. The A-1 Skyraider is another example from Korea and Vietnam.
The gun sucks. We'd do CAS exercises with A-10's all the time at Barry Goldwater and our 25mm was about the same efficacy as their 30, though they were slightly more accurate, but still couldn't penetrate anything more armored than an early model Patton. It's not even any better for rooting out infantry in light cover than a 20mm vulcan. The real teeth to the A-10 is the pilots being extremely dedicated and professional, along with having a ton of capacity to carry bombs. Their loiter time is really good, but the amount of time it takes them to link up with a tanker when they're getting low and then get back on station negates that a little, too.

Reality is if I was an infantry officer or JTAC in contact with enemies in cover, I'd rather have an Apache, Predator or Rhino/Strike Eagle, the Apache and pred will provide better overall SA to me. The Rhino and Eagle will get there much faster, with the ability to self lase/designate targets I can point out and do so quickly (dude in the backseat is seriously under rated, but I digress) if the A-10 is already there and I have something to designate with, the the A-10 is good, but if I'm getting swarmed and worried about getting ambushed and/or enemy reinforcements coming, I want something better.

That said, the A-10 is still better than the Harrier in every way except takeoff and landing roll so I really can't talk too much shit

Cedric_Eff

No secret, it's the meat. Don't skimp on the meat.
kiwifarms.net
The gun sucks. We'd do CAS exercises with A-10's all the time at Barry Goldwater and our 25mm was about the same efficacy as their 30, though they were slightly more accurate, but still couldn't penetrate anything more armored than an early model Patton. It's not even any better for rooting out infantry in light cover than a 20mm vulcan. The real teeth to the A-10 is the pilots being extremely dedicated and professional, along with having a ton of capacity to carry bombs. Their loiter time is really good, but the amount of time it takes them to link up with a tanker when they're getting low and then get back on station negates that a little, too.

Reality is if I was an infantry officer or JTAC in contact with enemies in cover, I'd rather have an Apache, Predator or Rhino/Strike Eagle, the Apache and pred will provide better overall SA to me. The Rhino and Eagle will get there much faster, with the ability to self lase/designate targets I can point out and do so quickly (dude in the backseat is seriously under rated, but I digress) if the A-10 is already there and I have something to designate with, the the A-10 is good, but if I'm getting swarmed and worried about getting ambushed and/or enemy reinforcements coming, I want something better.

That said, the A-10 is still better than the Harrier in every way except takeoff and landing roll so I really can't talk too much shit
We’re lucky we’re not in the A-9 timeline. It would’ve been an shittier A-10 but with an more efficient geared turbofan engine.

Slappy McGherkin

Bartender? Make that a double.
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
We'd do CAS exercises with A-10's all the time at Barry Goldwater
They still do. I always stop and watch as I'm heading down 85. The F-16s from Luke play hide and seek shit that's fun to watch as you get to the mountainous area of the range just before Ajo. Really close in and low. Barry Goldwater is probably the best range in the US for sand box warfare simulation as well as terrain like Afghanistan.

CDWLTY

kiwifarms.net
Yeah, with how the ol' .mil runs things, they only ever get their shit in order after they digest their previous engagement. Spending a ton on setting up a light, flexible, CAS system would karmically ensure higher-tech aliens drop out of the sky to help the chinese push their tech further along the tree, leaving us with a bunch of damn prop planes against flying saucers.

Anyone have any idea of a civilian 2-seat A-10 that was sold in the market back in the 80's or so? Heard a couple rumors about one floating around that was bought with texas oil money when the assembly line was up and running. Heard there's one in a hangar down there but didn't really see pics. By now I'd think there has to be something to it, two-seaters aren't really a thing for that and the level of detail in the accounts points to it being something in private hands no one's taken out of the hangar in quite some time.

Tags
None