Military Uniforms Appreciation Thread -

soy_king

I am the Prom King, I seethe at everything
kiwifarms.net
Since no one seems to be giving any love to this 2 lovely oddities. Here. Have the Baguette Bearded Pioneers. (French Sappers from the Foreign Legion)
View attachment 1486100
And Pasta Peacocks. (Italian Bersaglieri)
View attachment 1486101
Can any of you please recall other utterly weird uniforms? I always found them far more interesting than the regular kind.
If we're going fully weird uniforms, a lot of honor guards have interesting uniforms
unnamed.jpg

Bulgarian Honor Guard,
images.jpeg

Mongolian Honor Guard,

and finally
367023-T-HCO85-564.jpg

The South Korean honor guard

EmuWarsVeteran

Cream Pangolin
kiwifarms.net
If we're going fully weird uniforms, a lot of honor guards have interesting uniforms
View attachment 1486145
Bulgarian Honor Guard,
View attachment 1486146
Mongolian Honor Guard,

and finally
View attachment 1486153
The South Korean honor guard
Oh daym that's a good idea! Here's the greek Evzones proving that right with added monty python vibes:
silly-uniforms-greek-guards.jpg

Though they got nothing on Pakistan and India over here aserting their dominance:
silly-uniforms-india-pakistan.jpg

And the Indians also have the glorious cornea destroying camel division!
main-qimg-a37213108cb8285cb35e7c8fa77d8457-c.jpg

Doctor Placebo

Soleimani's back. Tell a friend.
kiwifarms.net
Since no one seems to be giving any love to this 2 lovely oddities. Here. Have the Baguette Bearded Pioneers. (French Sappers from the Foreign Legion)
View attachment 1486100
And Pasta Peacocks. (Italian Bersaglieri)
View attachment 1486101
Can any of you please recall other utterly weird uniforms? I always found them far more interesting than the regular kind.
There's always the Swiss Guard.
1596210604003.png

India's Central Industrial Security Force (I kind of like them, aside from the big fan on the hat):
1596210962552.png

Fiji's traffic police uniform (I kind of like this one too):
1596211035206.png

Thailand's royal guards have some weird uniform color combos that make them look like the Skittles army or a militarized corporation on pride month when their different regiments stand together.
1596211643151.png

1596212189125.png

1596211973516.png

1596212245112.png

1596212317984.png

The dress uniform's of South Korea's honor guard. Peak Mortal Kombat energy:
1596212402969.png

Partially ninja'd by @soy_king but this is a different pic.

EmuWarsVeteran

Cream Pangolin
kiwifarms.net
I bring some new bangers! Let's start with the Lebanese K7, who are going for the "tactical teddybear" aesthetic!
main-qimg-b494ce4d4275c7934611287d27333910.jpg

And the Ivory coast's Marines going for Big Zebra Energy.
main-qimg-5a776bb0d9b4115414459dc44ab6f417-c.jpg

They even got that cammo for their boat! Hey it won't disguise you but it sure as shit'll give your enemy a headache!
main-qimg-5d87834862bfc354524c1eef32f466cc-c.jpg

And what to say of the glorious Iranian Snipers. That forgot to actually have a parade uniform and just go around on their ghillie suits during ceremonies too.
Iranian-Sniper-Squad-uniform.jpg

14th Bush Squad reporting! And while we're at it. Since we gave a lot of love to WW2's female uniforms in prior posts. How about someone explains to me why the North Korean one looks like shit? Seriously I can't explain why, I am no fashion expert. But something just screams "fake" when I see it. It can't just be the skirt, I've seen good skirt uniforms in this very thread.
silly-uniforms-dprk-women.jpg

Feline Supremacist

I am a Dog-Exclusionary Radical Felinist
kiwifarms.net
I bring some new bangers! Let's start with the Lebanese K7, who are going for the "tactical teddybear" aesthetic!
View attachment 1486275
View attachment 1486279
They even got that cammo for their boat! Hey it won't disguise you but it sure as shit'll give your enemy a headache!
View attachment 1486280
And what to say of the glorious Iranian Snipers. That forgot to actually have a parade uniform and just go around on their ghillie suits during ceremonies too.
View attachment 1486282
14th Bush Squad reporting! And while we're at it. Since we gave a lot of love to WW2's female uniforms in prior posts. How about someone explains to me why the North Korean one looks like shit? Seriously I can't explain why, I am no fashion expert. But something just screams "fake" when I see it. It can't just be the skirt, I've seen good skirt uniforms in this very thread.
View attachment 1486290
Kim Jong Un likes leg I imagine.

The Japanese Ground Self Defense Force ladies uniform looks more professional. I like the shoulder purse being part of the uniform and the gloves are a nice touch. Shame those went out of style but maybe with corona they'll make a comeback..
japan-female-soldiers-ground-self-defense-force.jpeg

TiggerNits

Yankee vampire living off the blood of the poor
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I have nostalgia for the old 80s/90s era camouflage patterns the US military used to use:
View attachment 1485006View attachment 1485007View attachment 1485009
View attachment 1485019View attachment 1485008
I hated BDUs, because they weren't designed for tight rolls like the Marines require unless you starch the shit out of them, and that ruins them so fast that you're stuck buying them every few months.

Chocolate chips and DCUs were slightly better, the material was a little more forgiving

The switch to cammies was welcomed, they're way more comfortable and easy to manage.

But compared to a salty old flight suit, they're all awful.

And to contribute, the Spanish Legion looks like a bunch of male strippers

1596226132469.png

NerdShamer

kiwifarms.net
For a nation that's fought a single war they've sure got a lot of medals. Very poor tailoring, their trouser's in seam is practically nonexistent.
Alrighty, most of those is what the American military would call unit citations for...Basically winning war games and for being efficient in certain fields, and they're handed out by the regimental level of higher, IIRC. There's an family of badges for being in the game for up to 3 or 4 decades and the star is essentially their version of the Medal of Honor or an presidential citation. And yes, these are generals or field grade officers.

An interesting bit of trivia is that those things are cheaply made, compared to their Russian counterparts.

Last edited:

Ciscoipphone

They're GRRREAT!!
kiwifarms.net
View attachment 1486275
View attachment 1486279
View attachment 1486280
View attachment 1486282
View attachment 1486290
This whole thread is everything lol.

Re: South Korean skirts, I think it's the overly flowy material that makes it look more like schoolgirl cosplay. They need a more structured, heavier material.

soy_king

I am the Prom King, I seethe at everything
kiwifarms.net
This whole thread is everything lol.

Re: South Korean skirts, I think it's the overly flowy material that makes it look more like schoolgirl cosplay. They need a more structured, heavier material.
My original thoughts on this thread were to discuss people's favorite uniforms, but somehow it turned into let's showcase every crazy uniform we can find. Not that I'm complaining of course.

pussy raptor

failed jurassic park project
kiwifarms.net
1596230153920.png
1596230253777.png
1596230386142.png

I like the uniforms on both sides of the Russo-Japanese War because they both incorporate traditional cultural aspects into the style of uniform common at the time.

To be honest I first saw these when reading the Golden Kamuy manga which is set during this conflict, the author is super into historical accuracy - even if you don't care about the story it's just interesting to learn about this part of history and look at the cool designs.

EmuWarsVeteran

Cream Pangolin
kiwifarms.net
I'm Back! Don't worry this time I don't bring the weirdest shit I can find. Time for me to get earnest. When it comes to my actual favourite uniforms I have an issue... I just don't really know. Spanish Civil War and Eastern Front WW2 are for me the latest point at which uniforms still looked cool as fuck. WW1 also got its moments, again mostly on the east, and past that it's all glorious until well into prehistory.

I guess if I had to choose what I thought looked best I'd go for the Tercios. But that's only because "uniform" wasn't really a thing during that time. With nobles and landsknechts going full Swiss Guard, most people looking like the fucking 3 musketeers, and a lot of armor on the style of prior eras, it was less uniform and more of a wave of humanity which is a great aesthetic. But of course a spaniard would like the Tercios am I right? So I guess its time to move on and into some real uniforms. Into the Napoleonic Era.

And sadly spanish napoleonic era uniforms were... Eeeeeeeeehm...

No really why the hell did the crown pick WHITE as main color?!
Screenshot_20200801-100843_Firefox.jpg

And don't get me started on the grenadeer's hats!
1808 1.jpg

Why are they cut in half?! They somehow look even cornier than the bicorn! And my god did the sideways bicorn just scream "DUNCE", yeah let's wear the widest, tallest, most profile-defining hat ever! What, was painting a litteral target on your face too blatant? It's like spanish soldiers were just this video but unironically:
The cavalry at least looked a bit better I guess.
1808 2.jpg

Although that yellow is just, CHOICE, but for real the uniforms start getting really good once you look at the guerrillas, like the Cazadores and Milicias Honradas.
20200801_100746.jpg

Which is probably because of the darker color scheme and better hats. I believe this is mostly because those weren't uniformed by the crown. Instead they had the right to choose their own uniform at the squad level, and the Milicias mostly just had no uniform. Leading to this:
20200801_103229.jpg

Love the tophat btw. Classy! And this lack of uniform is because, well, the Spanish Army during that time got a reputation for being "an armed mob", and they weren't wrong! This was actually one of the biggest sources of Milicias Honradas for the crown:
graza.JPG

For those that don't get it. Those are Bandoleros. Highwaymen. Basically, I'm planning on talking about the Tercios on another thread, so I won't get into much detail. But reason Spain loved that shit was it required no formal training or even gear. They just paid soldiers a bit, gave them ammo, and expected the soldiers to care for their gear.

Napoleonic Line Infantry as such was fairly painful to spain's coffers. And boy could the coffers not take it. So instead of having as much of an army, they just formed militias and recruited highwaymen, with the "militias honradas" (honored militias) being the veterans of that group that had proven their worth through sheer fucking ballsyness. And as such spanish line infantry was notoriously underfed and undertrained compared with everyone else. So yes, most of the spanish army was indeed a literal mob with guns. And hey, say what you will. It fucking worked. Taking into account that the crown was more busy trying to fight the liberals and constitutionals within than the baguettes without and at that point spanish economy was a disaster area, I'd say results were better than expected. At least the country stayed together!

Also, here's the illustrations from this webpage so you get more info:
The Good, The Bad, And The Ugly
03_31.jpg

06_04.jpg

07_07.jpg

07_08.jpg

07_41.jpg

07_53.jpg

07_54.jpg

07_58.jpg

08_17.jpg

08_18.jpg

08_33.jpg

08_40.jpg

09_18.jpg

12_14.jpg

14_05.jpg

14_39.jpg

18_32.jpg

18_49.jpg

Lonely Grave

naked and alone, we die
kiwifarms.net
In terms of fascination, the New Model Army of the English Parliamentarians strikes the perfect bridge between the medieval and the modern (reproduction but still accurate):
img.jpg

The iconic red of the modern British parade uniforms stems from this pioneering professional force, but its origin is much more mundane - English merchants had an abundance of crimson cloth imported from the continent which made it cheap and available, perfect for the outfitting of a large force. Prior to this the colonel of the regiment dressed their men in whatever colours that suited them, which contributed significantly to the confused fighting in the First English Civil War.

Doctor Placebo

Soleimani's back. Tell a friend.
kiwifarms.net
View attachment 1486275
View attachment 1486279
View attachment 1486280
View attachment 1486290
Are the Lebanese wearing bulletproof mumus? Good heavens those don't look practical to run, jump, or roll in at all.

Dazzle camo does actually have some practical benefits. It makes it harder to properly judge the distance something is at. Blending in with your surroundings is still better, which is why it's not commonly used, but it would be more practical than something like France's blue coats and bright red pants from WW1.

I think what makes the NK uniforms look like tacky cosplay is a combination of cheap fabric, as other people have already mentioned, and the gratuitous medals. Most real military uniforms, even dress uniforms, are built for durability. Here the jackets are stiff yet thin, the skirts are also clearly made of thin material, even the boots look pretty suspect, and you can instinctively tell just by looking at them that these outfits would start to fall apart quickly if they saw any rough use. That's exactly what you get with cosplay uniforms, which are built purely for looks and not for wear and tear. Cosplay uniforms also usually have added awards and bling to make them look flashy and special, because again, they're all about appearance, not realism. North Korea hands out medals like candy, and the result is that even the female privates in a support squad who are too young to have been around for the one war your country fought all have a dog's breakfast of medals on their chests. When you're used to seeing military forces of countries with more understated designs, where the privates and support groups are going to have far less medals, it just looks wrong to see a military parade where even the most minor support grunt is blinged out to an absurd degree. It's like a stolen valor parade.

By contrast, the Japanese Self Defense Force women that @Feline Supremacist posted have uniforms that look like they're made of decent quality materials, with the skirt and jacket matching up pretty good, and the few understated awards members have look a lot more reasonable for a group that has never seen active combat.

Last edited:
  • Thunk-Provoking
Reactions: EmuWarsVeteran
Tags
None