Mining for Noobs - stealing electricity 101

• Registration is closed without referral. This is a website about Internet drama.

awoo

Awootist
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I have a bunch of AWS credits left over - is it possible to mine on AWS? I don't expect to make any money as I'm just getting my toes wet with messing around with AWS services and in general crypto. If someone points me to good info maybe I'll give you or KF a nickel.

Lesbian Sleepover

Party Announcement
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I have a bunch of AWS credits left over - is it possible to mine on AWS? I don't expect to make any money as I'm just getting my toes wet with messing around with AWS services and in general crypto. If someone points me to good info maybe I'll give you or KF a nickel.
This largely depends on what you're mining. Script coin on CPU? Sure. Anything greater than that, probably not.

awoo

Awootist
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
This largely depends on what you're mining. Script coin on CPU? Sure. Anything greater than that, probably not.
why do you say that? aws has some very powerful gpu instances. they can be at very discounted rates for spot instances and i am using credits anyway which are going to expire.

Lesbian Sleepover

Party Announcement
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
why do you say that? aws has some very powerful gpu instances. they can be at very discounted rates for spot instances and i am using credits anyway which are going to expire.
Without knowing the amount of credit you have left, yes you could, but it would not bear fruit since you'd be taxing the system and burn through the credits.

awoo

Awootist
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Without knowing the amount of credit you have left, yes you could, but it would not bear fruit since you'd be taxing the system and burn through the credits.
idk what you mean by bearing fruit. the point is to burn through the credits because theyre otherwise worthless to me

Lesbian Sleepover

Party Announcement
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
idk what you mean by bearing fruit. the point is to burn through the credits because theyre otherwise worthless to me
What I mean by bearing fruit is how many credits do you have they need to burn through them? Mining is an intensive process and will very quickly burn through that but you probably won't earn anything.

awoo

Awootist
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
What I mean by bearing fruit is how many credits do you have they need to burn through them? Mining is an intensive process and will very quickly burn through that but you probably won't earn anything.
I found a tutorial to almost get 1:1 credit to eth earned rate. Problem is all my eth (not that much so far) lives on a level 2 network now unless i want to pay exorbitant gas fees.

zo.

kiwifarms.net
Mining is a never ending battle of consumerism and having the best hardware. The Industrial miner will always be ahead of all. Profits get monopolized by asics and etc. So fucking pointless U have to consume more and become a big farm to compete. The endless circle never ends

AnOminous

Only the rarest and smuggest of Goodmans
Retired Staff
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Mining is a never ending battle of consumerism and having the best hardware. The Industrial miner will always be ahead of all. Profits get monopolized by asics and etc. So fucking pointless U have to consume more and become a big farm to compete. The endless circle never ends
This is why more algorithms are going to tend to be ASIC-resistant, even if they can't really be made ASIC-proof.

asr

kiwifarms.net
I currently have a pretty good rig (3080FE and 5600x) i'm thinking of mining monero and etherium because i'm not really getting any use out my computer due to work taking up all my time. I know that mining can be hard on cards, what should a home miner keep in mind to keep their their system in working order and not running into the ground? I'm a total noob when it comes to crypto in general any info is appreciated

AnOminous

Retired Staff
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I currently have a pretty good rig (3080FE and 5600x) i'm thinking of mining monero and etherium because i'm not really getting any use out my computer due to work taking up all my time. I know that mining can be hard on cards, what should a home miner keep in mind to keep their their system in working order and not running into the ground? I'm a total noob when it comes to crypto in general any info is appreciated
There are programs (OCTune is one) that let you overclock and otherwise tweak your cards. You can also track what voltage you're consuming, what temperature the card is, how fast the fan(s) are spinning, etc. So it's fairly easy to calculate the efficiency of what you're doing, or step back from the overclocking to increase stability if you get janky behavior with aggressive overclocking, or even underclock it if the heat issue really concerns you.

Also congrats on the 3080FE, I've heard those are really tough to get lately not even including getting gouged on the price by scalpers.

Last edited:

Kosher Dill

Potato Chips
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
i'm thinking of mining monero and etherium
Really it's going to be one or the other, not both. CPU mining Monero will only get you pennies per day even with a good CPU, it's not worth doing unless you have a botnet to do it for you.

or even underclock it if the heat issue really concerns you.
You can cut the power back quite a bit before really cutting into your hashrate very much. I run my 3070 at like 60% power in exchange for a few percent less rate.

AnOminous

Retired Staff
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Really it's going to be one or the other, not both. CPU mining Monero will only get you pennies per day even with a good CPU, it's not worth doing unless you have a botnet to do it for you.
This. Seriously. Look at what wattage you're consuming, consult your electrical bill for the rate you're actually paying for that, calculate how much your hashrate is actually worth, and if you're paying more for electricity than you're making back, quit doing that (unless you are stealing electricity like most crypto retards).

I have a relatively modest card (a 1660) and it paid for itself within three months. Don't expect enormous profits off GPU mining, but if you have the opportunity, why not? A fairly pricey item pays for itself and will probably continue to work for years afterwards.

You should only really stop mining when the electricity costs more than what you're getting.

asr

kiwifarms.net
There are programs (OCTune is one) that let you overclock and otherwise tweak your cards. You can also track what voltage you're consuming, what temperature the card is, how fast the fan(s) are spinning, etc. So it's fairly easy to calculate the efficiency of what you're doing, or step back from the overclocking to increase stability if you get janky behavior with aggressive overclocking, or even underclock it if the heat issue really concerns you.

Also congrats on the 3080FE, I've heard those are really tough to get lately not even including getting gouged on the price by scalpers.
Thank you, it was a lucky day when I managed to get one at best buy. I'll look into OCTune more and undervolting more. The heat (VRAM temps) does bother me a bit, I'd like to not fuck up a card I payed 100 for. Would water cooling potentially help with with the longevity of my hardware?

CryoRevival #SJ-112

kiwifarms.net
Thank you, it was a lucky day when I managed to get one at best buy. I'll look into OCTune more and undervolting more. The heat (VRAM temps) does bother me a bit, I'd like to not fuck up a card I payed 100 for. Would water cooling potentially help with with the longevity of my hardware?
Google mining settings for your card and just follow the guide, they will have you minimise power to the processors while stably maxing Vram power. My 3070 sits at a comfortable 40C heat with the fans at 65% which is easily forgettable as background noise and a full hashrate. If you go too far with vram the cards safety porotcols will override and turn itself off, so dont worry too much about breaking it. You can also set your mining software to stop running if it gets above a set heat level. ETH runs pretty cool so I really wouldnt worry.

If you have good airflow in your case you dont need liquid cooling for ethereum. Thats really just for expelling the heat somewhere else with more fan power.

I remember LTT did a deboonking of the idea that a responsibly operated mining card has reduced longevity and efficiency, comparing a 5y/o miner card to a brand new one without function difference.

awoo

Awootist
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
With a consumer level card you could probably get like 10-50 MH/s which would earn a few dollars a day at current ETH prices. Assuming you live in a place with reasonable electricity prices, you'll still end up profiting in the long run (before ETH switches to PoS for which mining becomes useless).
It's quite simple to setup actually: you install ethminer and point it to a mining pool. You can try other proprietary miners but they don't really perform much better than ethminer. I did this on AWS using a premade template since I had some AWS credits to burn.
I personally don't believe overclocking or messing with voltages or watercooling is worth any real performance gain and is more a hobby thing to do for bragging rights. Your 5% extra performance is not worth the potential failures and random glitches.

CryoRevival #SJ-112

kiwifarms.net
With a consumer level card you could probably get like 10-50 MH/s which would earn a few dollars a day at current ETH prices. Assuming you live in a place with reasonable electricity prices, you'll still end up profiting in the long run (before ETH switches to PoS for which mining becomes useless).
It's quite simple to setup actually: you install ethminer and point it to a mining pool. You can try other proprietary miners but they don't really perform much better than ethminer. I did this on AWS using a premade template since I had some AWS credits to burn.
I personally don't believe overclocking or messing with voltages or watercooling is worth any real performance gain and is more a hobby thing to do for bragging rights. Your 5% extra performance is not worth the potential failures and random glitches.
Untuned my 3070 does about 50MH/s for 208W. Tuned properly (clock down vram up) i get about 62MH/s at 125W. Extra 25% performance and 40% lower running cost is worth the 15 minute setup. It varies from card to card, but its always worth doing for ETH.

awoo

Awootist
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Untuned my 3070 does about 50MH/s for 208W. Tuned properly (clock down vram up) i get about 62MH/s at 125W. Extra 25% performance and 40% lower running cost is worth the 15 minute setup. It varies from card to card, but its always worth doing for ETH.
Those are pretty impressive results, it that just with ethminer? I based my overclocking claim on video game performance which is a lot more complex and variable than mining to be sure.

CryoRevival #SJ-112

kiwifarms.net
Those are pretty impressive results, it that just with ethminer? I based my overclocking claim on video game performance which is a lot more complex and variable than mining to be sure.
Yeah just for mining ETH.
Overclocking for videogames is pretty beyond me, and as you say, probably not worth it unless you're struggling. To get baseline performance.