Mining for Noobs - stealing electricity 101

CrunkLord420

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
What would be the best way to benchmark on my own?
By running mining software until your hardware temps stop going up. Reminder that each algorithm is different and is difficult to compare. My suggestion is for Equihash for NVIDIA, Ethash for AMD and CrypoNight for CPUs. These are all different benchmarks.

CrunkLord420

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
What happens if I give Poloniex fake personal information (name, SSN, etc)?
They don't care unless they need to care. They might need to care if you hit KYC/AML limits or your account gets locked out (I've heard of this happening with VPNs via Washington state). I've had the name on one of my accounts on Poloniex changed by request, no questions asked, but my account wasn't in doubt at that moment.

KingCoelacanth

kiwifarms.net
They don't care unless they need to care. They might need to care if you hit KYC/AML limits or your account gets locked out (I've heard of this happening with VPNs via Washington state). I've had the name on one of my accounts on Poloniex changed by request, no questions asked, but my account wasn't in doubt at that moment.
What about the ID verification that requires a physical ID?

CrunkLord420

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
What about the ID verification that requires a physical ID?
If they require your physical ID then you've hit KYC/AML limits, which yes, that shit should be real. Lying on the verified-level stuff opens you up to a real world of criminality, lying on the non-verified stuff isn't an issue.

I don't know how Poloniex handles a complete change of identity after you've hit verification requirements, but you should know if you're likely to hit those limits.

Lesbian Sleepover

Party Announcement
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
For ASIC-proofed inspiration, I have pointed a few of my rigs at the Bitcoin Gold.

Receiving comparable numbers on the NVidia side to that of XMR. May be some value here. However I hold XMR as the gold standard for speed to market and payout.

Carolus_Rex

kiwifarms.net
I've been trying a few different ports on a pool and I'm only getting 200h/s, is this more the pool or my CPU. I'm running a i7-4790 with my threads in the miner set to 4 and 1 mb cache of 8.

CrunkLord420

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I've been trying a few different ports on a pool and I'm only getting 200h/s, is this more the pool or my CPU. I'm running a i7-4790 with my threads in the miner set to 4 and 1 mb cache of 8.
The port connection only sets initial difficulty, the pool with adjust automatically over time. It just helps initially to bring you closer to what you expect it to eventually adjust to.

A quick google search shows that 200h/s is within the range of your CPU, someone is reporting they're getting just over 300h/s: https://coinad.info/cpu-benchmarks/ (I haven't used coinad.info before, its just a google search).

Reactions: Carolus_Rex

Carolus_Rex

kiwifarms.net
The port connection only sets initial difficulty, the pool with adjust automatically over time. It just helps initially to bring you closer to what you expect it to eventually adjust to.

A quick google search shows that 200h/s is within the range of your CPU, someone is reporting they're getting just over 300h/s: https://coinad.info/cpu-benchmarks/ (I haven't used coinad.info before, its just a google search).
Okay, just wanted to make sure it wasn't me, thanks for the help. I now have something useful for my pc to do when it would just be wasting power anyway.

Lesbian Sleepover

Party Announcement
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Update to previous post, myself and other studious miners aimed many hashes at Bitcoin Gold and got dicked on any kind of payment.

Repointed all rigs to XMR again and a few at ETH. I'm up to quite a few kH on XMR currently. Most of my rigs are either ethos or Ubuntu, however, I have 1 Windows 10 64x rig running 4 Vega 64 cards with the AMD updates, getting around 1800h/s on each card, so a nice set up. Will be duplicating another one and post pics (out of office today due to weather).

CleverTiger

kiwifarms.net
just remember kids
before you install any file you've downloaded

go to virustotal.com and click and drag the file onto it to see if it has any hidden jewish technology (viruses + trojans)

better yet, run virtual machines so you have basically 0 chance of getting hacked
The miner comes up with a million trojans

Lesbian Sleepover

Party Announcement
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
On XMR:
If you're CPU mining and have cash to invest on hand into hosting, some cheaper hosting companies use older Dell 610/520 PowerEdge type rack-mount servers.

An Ubuntu 16 64bit OS with 18-24 CPU's is good for about 600h/s using XMR-STAK-CPU miner.

If you've got the bonus low/free/cheap/stolen el electricidad then it's profitable on a slow burn.

The current VEGA 56/64 cards (I have two running on one instance now) will get about 1.7kH-2.2kH depending upon overclock settings. My 56 is doing 1.9 and my Pro 64 is doing just over 2.0kH on one rig combined. This is on Windows 10 Professional (MSDN edition...cough cough). This is my only Windows miner. These cards are a good long term hash/mining/node bet IMO.

GTX 1070's are a solid deal also and will clock to around 650 h/s per GPU via ethos solid. I have 1 ethOS rig with 6 of these and it is the most stable of all my rigs. I have 1 1080 in the mix also and it mines notably slower than 1070's. Mining cryptonight with NVidia cards on ethOS doesn't allow for much overclocking, but I assume straight Ubuntu/Debian or Windows would.

If you can find them on eBay (I only have 2, severely used and one dying I think) the Radeon 295x2 models acts as 2 GPU's each. I receive on Ethereum 25-25mH * 2 per card = 100 mH ethOS rig out of the box.

On XMR the 295x2s real world on a 1300 watt power supply only using about 500-600watts combined is 714-728 * 2 per card and nets me 2.8kH on the board.

Updates/Edits: I've added 2 more eBay'd 295x2's to that rig, what a difference/fixed spelling mistakes.

I had 4 MSI R9 380 4gb devices I bought a while ago that have not been successful in stability. On ethos I received around 449/per h/s on XMR and 16-18 mH on ETH. Running Windows 10 and some precompiled miner (not xmr-stak, which I love, but another flavor) it is still unstable. The AMD driver keeps fritzing out on me. I just had someone on site who recycled the power and the RDP session has already shit the bed, but, the cool thing I wanted to share is the latest Crimson AMD drivers have the "Graphics/Compute" option in the Gaming settings. I was getting 605 h/S on each card, which is way better than ethos. I slowly see myself getting off of ethos, although I love the easy dashboard.

Last edited:

JackDavis

kiwifarms.net
If anybody is curious, I started mining ETH last night on my GTX1080ti last night, getting about 30Mh/s. Let it run overnight and made about .0011 ETH with the EtherMine mining pool. So like $1 for 8 hours of "work". Had a spare 980ti in my media server but I only got about 10Mh/s with that, huge disparity.

Lesbian Sleepover

Party Announcement
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
If anybody is curious, I started mining ETH last night on my GTX1080ti last night, getting about 30Mh/s. Let it run overnight and made about .0011 ETH with the EtherMine mining pool. So like $1 for 8 hours of "work". Had a spare 980ti in my media server but I only got about 10Mh/s with that, huge disparity.
The 1070's are actually "faster" for ETH and XMR. THe one 1080 I have running in a 6-unit rig with all 1070's is always the slowpoke. If you can double that though and use it when you're not busy or away at work/etc you could get away with a good small amount.

The mining bug has bitten you. It is only a matter of time now...

Reactions: JackDavis

Null

Ooperator
kiwifarms.net
@CrunkLord420 I have obtained pic related second hand, but the garbage cheap aluminium chassis does not fit my server rack comfortably. Even when inserted, the ports on the mobo face the left-hand side and are totally blocked by the walls of the rack. I can either stand it up on its side and waste space or not have it plugged in.

Can I possibly remove all the expensive parts and swap them into an octominer.com 4U 8 GPU chassis+mobo?

NV_Mining_system_spec_eng_v5-1.png NV_Mining_system_spec_eng_v5-2.png

• Informative
Reactions: Kiwi Jeff

CrunkLord420

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
@CrunkLord420 I have obtained pic related second hand, but the garbage cheap aluminium chassis does not fit my server rack comfortably. Even when inserted, the ports on the mobo face the left-hand side and are totally blocked by the walls of the rack. I can either stand it up on its side and waste space or not have it plugged in.

Can I possibly remove all the expensive parts and swap them into an octominer.com 4U 8 GPU chassis+mobo?

View attachment 428937 View attachment 428935
I'm not really sure the question, yes you can take out the video cards and put them in another unit. The chassis image your posted doesn't look like its designed to but put into a rack.

You probably can't change your rack but a lot of racks don't have walls, just a frame to mount servers into. Also have you tried turning it sideways (not vertically) and let it sit on top of another server? You might not be able to close your rack cage door in that case, and the air flow would be screwed up.

Null

Ooperator
kiwifarms.net
I'm not really sure the question, yes you can take out the video cards and put them in another unit.
I know in general that's true, but is there anything you can think of that might be of additional concern not applicable to regular hardware?

Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1DgS5RfHw7xA82Yxa5BtgZL65ngwSk6bmm
ETH: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
LTC: LSZsFCLUreXAZ9oyc9JRUiRwbhkLCsFi4q
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino