• ”That's why I support sending all children to military boarding school and beat all trannies in bathrooms to death”

Mining for Noobsstealing electricity 101

Discussion in 'Cryptoshekels' started by CrunkLord420, Nov 1, 2017.

1. I'm not aware of anything, but I've never used that specific card. The power supply used is often more important than the motherboard of chassis, so consider that.

kiwifarms.net
  2. So I'm a little curious about Gridcoin because I think a cryptocurrency based around BOINC is interesting and valuable. I know most mining gives rewards based on proof of work, but how does proof of stake and proof of research work differ and does it have big differences in required hardware? I just like the idea of getting some digital monopoly money for folding at home.

• Informative Informative x 1
    kiwifarms.net
  3. PoS is stuff like Dash masternodes, but Dash also has X11 mining. The folding stuff is just PoW plus some folding data, it doesn't really make sense from a blockchain security perspective but people like the idea of useful hashrate.

• Like Like x 1
    kiwifarms.net
    • Informative Informative x 2
    neger psykolog

neger psykolog moon goons for communism detection
    Staff Member Moderator True & Honest Fan

kiwifarms.net
  4. Very good article. Of course, I've been saying this too, but I didn't have the technical knowledge or inside information to basically prove it.

I'd bet the vast majority of anyone who actually did manage to eke out a profit with GPU mining in the last couple years did it during the huge run-up in price and that it would be virtually impossible to turn a profit doing this now.

AnOminous

AnOminous boo
    True & Honest Fan Retired Staff

kiwifarms.net
    • Winner Winner x 2
    kiwifarms.net
  5. The GPU mining side of things is still relatively small. There are large numbers of people who have bought ASICs and other miners and this article reveals to what extent the game is rigged.

I'm kind of divided on it, on one hand making the system "fair" is a nice thing but on the other hand if you try to restrict innovation then its as good as saying "why don't we just keep using dial up internet"

I don't have "free" electricity but its included in my rental money and if I use a lot more than what I normally do it doesn't matter. Even with 2 1080 TIs its simply not worth mining even when I'm not using my PC because the current profitability is like $1 a day.

neger psykolog

neger psykolog moon goons for communism detection
    Staff Member Moderator True & Honest Fan

kiwifarms.net
  6. Why is a dollar a day not worth mining?

kiwifarms.net
  7. It used to be much bigger. It's going to continue shrinking as it is completely unsustainable. There were enough idiots buying GPUs to mine various cryptocurrencies that it drove the price of the ones gamers use through the roof, and gaming-oriented GPUs are far from niche. The gamers who threw shit fits about this will be pleased if most of those people turn out losing money.

AnOminous

AnOminous boo
    True & Honest Fan Retired Staff

kiwifarms.net
  8. Noob question: will mining ruin my hardware? I know if it gets too hot (~80C IIRC?), it can damage things, but what if i keep it under that threshold and just mine nonstop? Monero specifically.

wylfım

wylfım Lost in an endless void of stupid.

kiwifarms.net
  9. I've never had any hardware damaged. People get issues from abused power supplies blowing up. I suspect most problems that develop in video cards during mining were factory defects that were only revealed with high temps, which is why people have used "Burn In" software on new hardware for decades.

• Agree Agree x 1
    kiwifarms.net
  10. Underclock where appropriate

Lesbian Sleepover

Lesbian Sleepover Party Announcement
    True & Honest Fan

kiwifarms.net
  11. Barring a unit that was defective in the first place, running at 80 C shouldn't damage a typical video card. For a lot of cards (especially from before the newest generation of cards which have had a lot of emphasis put on efficiency) that's a completely normal temperature. It's not till you hit 90 or better that temperature can become a problem for certain cards. On any card made in the past couple years, their coolers are good enough that 90 C shouldn't even happen unless you've got bad airflow. Older cards can usually go higher than that, and it wasn't that long ago that running an r9 290 at 95C was completely normal, but you shouldn't be mining with those cards unless you intend to use them as space heaters.

It's a common misconception that computer hardware performance can degrade over its lifespan, but that's only true of hard drives. (And even then it's more likely bloated old software slowing it down than the disk itself). For GPUs, the only thing you might break from mining are the fans, but those are cheap and easy to fix.

Un Platano

Un Platano big blatano xDDDD
    True & Honest Fan

kiwifarms.net
  12. I can't run xmrig to mine monero on my windows 10 PC. The security keeps trying to block it.

Sexy Potoo

Sexy Potoo Sexiest bird on the planet

kiwifarms.net
  13. Have you tried running it as administrator? Sorry I don't use botnet operating systems.

• Feels Feels x 1
    kiwifarms.net
  14. If you want a quick and easy Windows-based GPU + CPU miner for XMR, Minergate.com is a decent solution. Download their win64 software and edit the batch file to include GPU mining with a sting like:
    minergate-cli --user email@email.com --gpu --xmr 2

If you're really new to things, they also have GUI software which all you have to do is enter your email address.

Leo Bonhart

Leo Bonhart Words of truth are not pleasing.
    True & Honest Fan

kiwifarms.net
  15. Minergate has a reputation for doing shady stuff, and basically underpaying their miners.

kiwifarms.net
  • About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. These people are commonly referred to as Lolcows and are each distinct thanks to their erratic public behavior. Spectators are encouraged to join discussion. The wealth of opinions and knowledge shared by users is what has enabled this peculiar fringe community to thrive despite the incredible adversity and contention brought by those we discuss.

We do not place ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

• Supporting the Forum

BTC: 1LXpv9FUiazGB2LVyS44cTTEQFc8CBgPYi

BTC+SW: bc1qwv5fzv9u6arksw6ytf79gfvce078vprtc0m55s

ETH: 0xc1071c60ae27c8cc3c834e11289205f8f9c78ca5

LTC: LNjmyhxThrTMY4izBdcdWqvW287LmCB6bg

XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino

Copyright © 2016 Lolcow LLC
This website may contain offensive or adult content.
Discontinue browsing if it is illegal or against your wishes to see such material.
All content belongs to their respective authors and does not represent Lolcow LLC.
We have not been served any secret court orders and are not under any gag orders.