Mining for Noobs - stealing electricity 101

• There is a bug with the post editor. Images pasted from other websites from your clipboard will automatically use the [img] tag instead of uploading a copy as an attachment. Please manually save the image, upload it to the site, and then insert it as a thumbnail instead if you experience this.

The [img] should essentially never be used outside of chat. It does not save disk space on the server because we use an image proxy to protect your IP address and to ensure people do not rely on bad third party services like Imgur for image hosting. I hope to have a fix from XF soon.

cybertoaster

Chairman of the mammary regulation committee
kiwifarms.net
Is mining with regular PC hardware profitable at 25k? or I still need ASICs and stuff?

AnOminous

μολὼν λαβέ
True & Honest Fan
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
I know but what about the hardware? ASICs are expensive as fuck
If you were selling ASICs, would you mine with them yourself or would you sell them? And would you sell them at a price less than what you could make mining with them? There are probably odd situations where someone manufacturing these isn't in a position to mine with them and thus sells them at a "fair," i.e. non-sucker price, but unless you know a lot about this stuff, would you recognize such a price point?

cybertoaster

kiwifarms.net
I dont get what you're trying to say man, and yeah I would sell them, no better business than selling shovels during a gold rush

AnOminous

μολὼν λαβέ
True & Honest Fan
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
I dont get what you're trying to say man, and yeah I would sell them, no better business than selling shovels during a gold rush
It's pretty easy to understand. If they could make more money mining with the rig themselves why would they sell it to you? Hence don't buy these fucking things.

Stoneheart

Well hung, and snow white tan
kiwifarms.net
It's pretty easy to understand. If they could make more money mining with the rig themselves why would they sell it to you? Hence don't buy these fucking things.
They dont make more money with mining. they have a realy fast turn over and generate good profit from just a bit of equity.
that doesnt mean that you dont have a good return on investment with miners it just means that the return on investment from selling them is better/easyer to leverage.

but thats to much math for a law person

cybertoaster

kiwifarms.net

You could say the same about shovel sellers during the gold rush, what you think miners just magically work? you need a place to house them, insane amounts of electricity and to be there supervising the things 24/7, and if btc takes a tumble as it often does you're fucked

Selling the miners? you just sold them, done, you dont lose your money if btc goes to shit the moment after you ship them, selling miners its a far safer business than btc or any crypto

AnOminous

μολὼν λαβέ
True & Honest Fan
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
You could say the same about shovel sellers during the gold rush, what you think miners just magically work? you need a place to house them, insane amounts of electricity and to be there supervising the things 24/7, and if btc takes a tumble as it often does you're fucked

Selling the miners? you just sold them, done, you dont lose your money if btc goes to shit the moment after you ship them, selling miners its a far safer business than btc or any crypto
Okay go ahead and buy a bunch then. Knock yourself out. Tell us when you're a billionaire.

CrunkLord420

not a financial adviser
Local Moderator
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
The ASICs sold to the general public are often used last-generation models that are being replaced (internally) with more efficient models. Rinse and repeat. This was blatant when an ASIC designed for CryptoNite was kept them a secret until the community started making noise about it, and then were sold to the general public when it was clear a algo change was incoming.

I wouldn't buy them as a retailer, their resale value is terrible due to this arms race. There's many buyers for used video cards.

Un Platano

big blatano xDDDD
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Is there anything that's worth mining on old hardware with free electricity? I have a computer that was making about $30 a month mining ethereum on an R9 380x, but recently the size of blocks passed the 4 gb mark, meaning cards with 4 gb of VRAM can't mine it anymore. Huge waste of power for $30, but not my problem. I've been looking around for alternatives but nothing looks nearly as profitable as ethereum was and it looks like the best I can do now is in the range of $10 per month of shitcoins, which is getting into the 'why even bother' range for me. Is there something obvious that I'm forgetting?

Kosher Dill

Pumpkin Chips
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Is there anything that's worth mining on old hardware with free electricity?
How's your CPU? You could try Monero.
I've been doing some mining in the MoneroOcean pool, which lets you mine any of about a dozen no-name coins on CPU or GPU, and pays out their worth (minus fees) in Monero. Convenient if you don't want to maintain all those wallets and do the algorithm-hopping yourself.

It might be worth spinning it up with the GPU too, and seeing what it thinks is the most profitable use for it.

Un Platano

big blatano xDDDD
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
How's your CPU? You could try Monero.
I've been doing some mining in the MoneroOcean pool, which lets you mine any of about a dozen no-name coins on CPU or GPU, and pays out their worth (minus fees) in Monero. Convenient if you don't want to maintain all those wallets and do the algorithm-hopping yourself.

It might be worth spinning it up with the GPU too, and seeing what it thinks is the most profitable use for it.
The CPU is probably even less useful, it's an i3 6100. This is a low end gaming computer from 2015. I know Monero itself is not going to work on this computer, it comes out to something like $3 per month if I mine on the CPU and GPU at the same time.

I've actually got two computers I've been doing this with, the other is a Dell XPS workstation from 2008 with a 1050ti in it. I've been abusing these computers for years but it might just be the end of their useful life now. I'll look into Monero Ocean though.

Andy Bandy Man

kiwifarms.net
I just went though dependency heck getting DOGE mining up on my ubuntu rig. It's telling me I'm years behind and it's at 0%.

The thing yelled at me for not using the correct Berkley database even though it should be correct (local install of 5.1). anyone know if that's gonna bite me in the ass?

Secret Asshole

Expert in things that never, ever happened
Local Moderator
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I've become a true autist and started mining using nicehash with my 3090 and 5600X when its not being used for anything else since I'm poor and don't pay for electricity. Since I want my tech to last as long as possible, I've undervolted and underpowered it, and I can basically make 10 bucks a day mining while my card is at 55 Celsius, with fans at . The goddamn fucking problem is the Memory Junction Temperature. For some fucked up reason, even if my 3090 is sitting at 55, my memory junction temp is at fucking 90. This is with the case open. I'm not planning on fucking around, so I'm buying external cooling methods I can use.

This is better than the 110 degrees that some people let their memory sit at with their 3080s/3090s. Micron has basically been mum about the temps for GDDR6X, but its probably about around 90-95, working around their previous offerings. Some estimate damage starts at about 120, but I can't imagine keeping the VRAM at 110 degrees 24/7 is a good option. So the memory cooling on these cards fucking sucks. I'd be extremely wary of buying them from mining farms because they aren't so much caring about the VRAM temperature which is throttled at 110. I'm getting external cooling because I don't want to fuck with the warranty and do all this sort of shit. If I can get my hash up with my VRAM temp lowered, I'll be happy. Even though my VRAM is in the 'normal' range, I don't really feel comfortable keeping it at 90-92 for long periods of time. Even if my card is 57 degrees overall.

I also mine with my CPU, with my Noctua, it gets around 87-88, but the working temp of the Ryzen 5600X is 95, so I'm good.

I figure I have a powerful system, might as well use it while it is still a little bit profitable. And I know I'm a faggot since I'm using coinbase. I also have Brave, but fucking uphold is banned in my state so my coins are just sitting there collecting dust.

EDIT:
With the news of the 3060 halving hash rates and NVIDIA releasing a 'mining GPU', it looks like they're trying to double dip. So we might see the end of GPU mining for everything in the near future unless AMD does the same.