Mining for Noobs - stealing electricity 101

• There is a bug with the post editor. Images pasted from other websites from your clipboard will automatically use the [img] tag instead of uploading a copy as an attachment. Please manually save the image, upload it to the site, and then insert it as a thumbnail instead if you experience this.

The [img] should essentially never be used outside of chat. It does not save disk space on the server because we use an image proxy to protect your IP address and to ensure people do not rely on bad third party services like Imgur for image hosting. I hope to have a fix from XF soon.

Kosher Dill

Pumpkin Chips
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
XMrig tells me when a new job is accepted but no other tags have shown up regarding the status of those jobs.
"Accepted" should indicate that the pool you're mining with accepted your work. Are you not getting any credit for these?
Do you have your username/password set up correctly for the pool?

Garm

kiwifarms.net
"Accepted" should indicate that the pool you're mining with accepted your work. Are you not getting any credit for these?
Do you have your username/password set up correctly for the pool?
Hmmm... Well shit. I will have to check.

Edit: I have .00316 XMR. They pay out when it reaches .5.

Last edited:

Secret Asshole

Expert in things that never, ever happened
Local Moderator
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I personally wouldn't bother redlining the card to squeeze out an extra couple percent. The auto-configuration done by XMRig (which I assume you're using) already does all the common software tweaks.
It really isn't worth it for an extra 50 cents or something.

I manually do tweaking with MSI Afterburner and use HW monitor for my temps. My 3090 is at 53 degrees C, VRAM is at 94 (what else is new) and the hottest spot on the card is 66 degrees. My Hash rate is about 100 MH/s. Fans are at 70%. I'm not breaking the card, I might have to replace the thermal pads and paste in 2 years but its all good. Of course, my case door is also open because its magnetized.

But then again, I have this card undervolted.

Garm

kiwifarms.net
Well, then your figures sound about right. I guess the real question is, what CPU/GPU are you using, and what algorithm(s) are you mining with?
Video card: GeForce GTX 1650.
CPU: i5- 4570 at 3.2 GHz
Monerohash.com:9999 Algo auto is my best guess for algorithm.

Kosher Dill

Pumpkin Chips
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Video card: GeForce GTX 1650.
CPU: i5- 4570 at 3.2 GHz
Monerohash.com:9999 Algo auto is my best guess for algorithm.
Given that, it sounds like you're already getting about as much hashrate as can be expected from the hardware.

Kosher Dill

Pumpkin Chips
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Is CPU mining XMR still viable in 2021?
In fact, CPU mining is the only way to mine XMR - though you can also join a pool that'll let you mine other coins and get paid for your work in XMR.
Whether it's "viable" or not depends on what exactly you're trying to accomplish. If you're looking to get more back in XMR than you paid for electricity, I think that's going to be tough unless you have exceptionally cheap power.
I mine despite paying a couple bucks more per month for electricity than I get out, just because I'd rather have the crypto and I don't want to join an exchange.

My Knee is Growing

kiwifarms.net
In fact, CPU mining is the only way to mine XMR - though you can also join a pool that'll let you mine other coins and get paid for your work in XMR.
Whether it's "viable" or not depends on what exactly you're trying to accomplish. If you're looking to get more back in XMR than you paid for electricity, I think that's going to be tough unless you have exceptionally cheap power.
I mine despite paying a couple bucks more per month for electricity than I get out, just because I'd rather have the crypto and I don't want to join an exchange.
A couple questions:

How much XMR do you get per month in USD? (approx)
What CPU are you using? Do you overclock it?

Kosher Dill

Pumpkin Chips
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
How much XMR do you get per month in USD? (approx)
I'm running on an Intel CPU that's modern but not particularly suited to XMR mining - it can get about 5500H/s on the RandomX algorithm. I currently have the CPU (but not the GPU) mining garbage coins on MoneroOcean in exchange for about $1/day of XMR. I think it would be slightly less if I mined XMR directly.
I overclock a tiny bit, but at least for me it very quickly reaches a point where the temperatures go nuts in exchange for only a fraction of a percent more performance. I don't do any of the esoteric stuff with memory timings either.

Never Scored

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Well... Fuck.
Mine something easier like TRTL or RVN that's nearly worthless and just sit on it. These coins with low prices and low market caps often inexplicably jump in price. I mined around 1 million TRTL over the last year and the price just kind of randomly went up over 600% over the last few weeks and now I have over $250. Then you can trade that for something you actually want.

twozero

Major league swagout
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
That’s an often overlooked benefit of home mining indeed, you’re basically getting KYC-free crypto and usually at a discount (kWh-price dependent). It’s almost best not to think of it as a money maker, more a constant DCA with strong privacy.

Never Scored

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Turtlecoin now up over 7000% over the last year and everyone is jumping on the bandwagon. I went from mining 2-3,000 a day to just under 1,000. My coins are worth about $1k now, so I think I'm going to trade them for ADA and stake that and sit on it for a couple years and shut down my mining operation. Probably spent $100 total on electricity using an 3-4 year old laptop that was kicking around the office.

I'm telling you bros, don't mine a popular coin. Mine something exceptional worth fractions of a penny that you get a lot of and just sit on it until it goes up.

HackerX

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Long story short, I bought a rig with 10x GPU around November. Was told to basically just mine Ravencoin mostly (and it has paid off well, TBH)

I'm using minerstat essentially as a GUI for the worker/mining, however are there other coins I could potentially be mining since the RVN payout has shrunk recently? Out of the 5 or so algos/coins, I'm mining RVN probably about 85% with ETH and BTG rounding out the rest, because of the profit switching or whatever.

tl;dr: I'm a crypto (and mining) exceptional individual that some GPUs/setup because I felt like it. How would I look into becoming more efficient with this rig? Or do I just sit on mining ravencoin?

Kosher Dill

Pumpkin Chips
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
How would I look into becoming more efficient with this rig?
MoneroOcean determines what to mine by multiplying the "profit" column in this table by your hashrate for each coin and then choosing the highest result.
You could presumably do a similar calculation yourself.