Mining for Noobs - stealing electricity 101

• There is a bug with the post editor. Images pasted from other websites from your clipboard will automatically use the [img] tag instead of uploading a copy as an attachment. Please manually save the image, upload it to the site, and then insert it as a thumbnail instead if you experience this.

The [img] should essentially never be used outside of chat. It does not save disk space on the server because we use an image proxy to protect your IP address and to ensure people do not rely on bad third party services like Imgur for image hosting. I hope to have a fix from XF soon.

Absolutetense

kiwifarms.net
So this is coin mining. Reminds me of a program that calculated packets as well for keys in them. If you got the big key you could've won 10k. Sadl I forgot the name of it but it had a cow as a logo.
Looked exactly the same.
Maybe the forefather of crypto mining?

Going to try mining out for a week. Might as well use more electricity in my apartment since they always scale me down after a year because I use less than half of the usual household my size. God I love LED's.

Seminal Ointments Lain

PRESENT SNEED | FORMERLY CHUCK'S | HAHAHAHAHAHAHA
kiwifarms.net
Would I be able to make decent pocket change utilizing a small assortment of laptops and leaching hotel electricity? Asking for a friend.

Kosher Dill

Pumpkin Chips
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Let's say either 1 Month or 7 Months.
In the immortal words of Chad: "OUCH!"

If you're CPU mining on a laptop I'd expect less than $1 worth of crypto a day per laptop, probably closer to $0.25, at today's prices.
For GPU mining, just check whattomine.com, but I can't imagine you're carrying around a whole fleet of laptops with modern GPUs for this.

AnOminous

μολὼν λαβέ
True & Honest Fan
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
So how do you cash out?
Depends on where you live, whether the transaction and source of the crypto is legit, quasi-legit, or completely illegit, and whether you want to cheat on your taxes.

If you're in the U.S. and everything is entirely on the up and up to the point you don't care if the IRS knows about it, you get an account with an exchange like Coinbase or Kraken, hook it up to a bank account, and just directly cash it out.

Depending on how sketchy things are, you might want to take measures to obfuscate the transaction or do it indirectly, such as by buying something on some kind of eBay type Bitcoin merchant, then selling it. This isn't really a mining topic though.

Uncle Ted's Cabin

kiwifarms.net
Mine something easier like TRTL or RVN that's nearly worthless and just sit on it. These coins with low prices and low market caps often inexplicably jump in price. I mined around 1 million TRTL over the last year and the price just kind of randomly went up over 600% over the last few weeks and now I have over $250. Then you can trade that for something you actually want.
Turtlecoin now up over 7000% over the last year and everyone is jumping on the bandwagon. I went from mining 2-3,000 a day to just under 1,000. My coins are worth about $1k now, so I think I'm going to trade them for ADA and stake that and sit on it for a couple years and shut down my mining operation. Probably spent $100 total on electricity using an 3-4 year old laptop that was kicking around the office.

I'm telling you bros, don't mine a popular coin. Mine something exceptional worth fractions of a penny that you get a lot of and just sit on it until it goes up.

I'm interested in doing something like this. I was thinking about buying a handful of raspberry pis, NUCs or something else cheap and using them to learn Chef/maybe mess around with containers. I like to have some kind of practical end goal with personal projects though, so I had the idea of setting them up to CPU mine some shitty, obscure alt-coin for me to sit on.

Is this something still worth exploring? Also, how did you pick TRTL? What kind of research should I do to figure out which altcoin would be best?

Kosher Dill

Pumpkin Chips
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Also, how did you pick TRTL?
I think most people who pick it do so because that's what their CPU happens to mine most efficiently. My old CPU was like that.
Altcoins are all meaningless gambling, so there's no particular reason to choose one over another, unless you're really plugged into the pump-and-dump scene and you're really sure that you're getting in on the right side of it.

Never Scored

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I think most people who pick it do so because that's what their CPU happens to mine most efficiently. My old CPU was like that.
Altcoins are all meaningless gambling, so there's no particular reason to choose one over another, unless you're really plugged into the pump-and-dump scene and you're really sure that you're getting in on the right side of it.
You are 100% correct. It's just something that an old laptop I had that uses as much power as an incandescent bulb could mine a couple thousand of every day. There was no strategy beyond "I can mine hundreds of thousands of these and if they go up in value I'll make bank."

Last edited:

HarblMcDavid

in ur zone, dekin' my harbl
kiwifarms.net
Just figured I'd post some mining rig learnings I had as a result of attempting to create some XMR/ETH mining rigs.
Some of this may sound obvious if you've done this before, but it might not be super obvious if you haven't done mining rig setup before and are researching to do so.

1) Don't count on being able to do stable combo GPU/CPU mining rig. By getting a good CPU and then undervolt/overclock for XMR you potentially fuck with the stability of your system super easily and compromise ETH earnings quite significantly if you BSOD because you got a bit to aggressive but only find out every 5 days or so at around 2AM.

2) It's way too fucking expensive to make efficient CPU/GPU mining rigs. If you're spending over 1k on mobo/processsor/PSU/RAM before you get to videocards, stop, it's not worth it. Also given the power usage of 3950x/5950x processors even when undervolted, you're nuking your ETH mining efficiency with the total from the wall draw that a 100% utilized CPU results in. Just trade your ETH for XMR on an exchange and save the extra 100w to 140w.

3) Be very careful mixing different SKUs of the same model of video card (i.e. different manufacturer's 3080s on the same rig) if using PCI-E splitter cards. I found upon purchasing some different SKUs and trying to mix them that the different SKUs did not seem to play nice with each other despite supposedly only needing a single driver. I'd also suggest that mixing SKUs of the same model without a splitter cards (so using a mining mobo for example) is treading on thin ice. If you want stability, shoot for all the same SKU of card in a given rig. This is exceptional and shouldn't be an issue, but as it stands I'm 99% sure splitter cards are a bit of a hack to begin with so the further you get from card uniformity the easier you run into stability issues.

4) Don't skimp on fans. Don't assume that you can just use leftovers from previous PC builds and call it a day. Get some good decently high CFM fans and your temps will be infinitely better than a hodge-podge setup.

5) Consider GPU cooler design when thinking about your rig design. This mostly applies to Nvidia FE cards which blow or suck out one side of the card onto whatever is next to it, but that's an easy design trap to fall into. I'm currently looking into a vertical design to get around this for one of my rigs where the temperature difference between all the cards running the same afterburner setup is about 10 degress C from coolest to warmest.

HarblMcDavid

kiwifarms.net
If you're mining, you don't even need to dox yourself on an exchange. Just GPU mine on MoneroOcean for a while if you want XMR.
Unless something has changed very recently, CUDA mining for Monero is really inefficient. If you actually do want to mine Monero seriously you're best off getting a shit graphics card, a decent B550 motherboard, a used but working 3950x, and most importantly, good B-die memory that can run at CL14 or lower. Probably don't want to cheap out on PSU either, but nothing silly is needed. If you can find the sweet spot with memory configuration and undervolting the processor you'll pull in excess of 16.5 KH/s at somewhere around 100w to 120w where most high end GPUs will struggle to get over 2 KH/s for double that CPU wattage.

There is some autism on reddit who made it his mission to use lower grade memory and still get good hashrates and he does post about it, I'm sure you can find his posts on MoneroMining. So a lower cost is possible, but if you want that sweet higher than 16 KH/s without hours and hours of tinkering, the CL14 B-dies are the way to go.

It's still inefficient given the pricetag on such a setup (easily $1k even if you get good deals on everything), but it's more efficient than wasting GPU cycles and wattage on Monero when they could be mining ETH or pretty much anything else with a decent value. Again, unless something changed pretty recently.

Kosher Dill

Pumpkin Chips
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
HarblMcDavid said:
CUDA mining for Monero is really inefficient.
Precisely correct. But on MoneroOcean you don't have to mine Monero itself, you can mine garbage shitcoins with your GPU and get paid in Monero for it. It's like having an exchange but without the drawbacks of an exchange. They do charge a pool fee but I consider it well worth it. The payout in dollar terms is comparable to mining ETH (I think ETH might be a bit higher)
I shill these guys a lot but I think it's justified.

HarblMcDavid

kiwifarms.net
Precisely correct. But on MoneroOcean you don't have to mine Monero itself, you can mine garbage shitcoins with your GPU and get paid in Monero for it. It's like having an exchange but without the drawbacks of an exchange. They do charge a pool fee but I consider it well worth it. The payout in dollar terms is comparable to mining ETH (I think ETH might be a bit higher)
I shill these guys a lot but I think it's justified.
Ah okay, that makes more sense. I was looking for minimum pool fees when I was getting set up and overlooked MoneroOcean without thinking about that aspect of things. Good to know.