Missouri government suffers $50 million hack; Governor Mike Parson (R) vows vengenance -

• There is a bug with the post editor. Images pasted from other websites from your clipboard will automatically use the [img] tag instead of uploading a copy as an attachment. Please manually save the image, upload it to the site, and then insert it as a thumbnail instead if you experience this.

The [img] should essentially never be used outside of chat. It does not save disk space on the server because we use an image proxy to protect your IP address and to ensure people do not rely on bad third party services like Imgur for image hosting. I hope to have a fix from XF soon. I REALLY WISH THEY'D HOTFIX THIS SO I CAN REMOVE THIS NOTICE.

iterator

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
1634236564000.png

On Tuesday this week, a St. Louis newspaper reported that the state of Missouri's department of Education's website could be hacked to display teacher SSNs and other personally identifiable information by searching for a teacher, holding the Ctrl key, and pressing U to view source.

They delayed publishing this fact until the DoE could take their excellent web application off line (fixing it would have been much too hard).

Governor Mike Parson (R) is now threatening to prosecute anyone responsible for viewing the source on the MO teacher credentials website.
Reportedly, he has claimed fixing this may cost up to $50 million.

murdered meat bag

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
MO is going through the new CRT School Board war. this should be hilarious since 3 school districts were lying through their teeth about teaching it.

all anyone had to do was view the page source, not sure how they'll figure out who did that "hack"

The golden neckbeard

Web 1.0 Archaeologist and Professor of Goon study
kiwifarms.net
MO is going through the new CRT School Board war. this should be hilarious since 3 school districts were lying through their teeth about teaching it.

all anyone had to do was view the page source, not sure how they'll figure out who did that "hack"

Why would that information even be coded into the Page? Like...what the hell?

Wasn't it linked to a Contact me email then linked to Human Resources somehow? Had to of been some sort of Universal Module used to login that never got implented.

libRT

kiwifarms.net
Reportedly, he has claimed fixing this may cost up to $50 million.

Literally like what the fuck.

This has to be a joke right? Its a simple line of code
Welcome to economics of governance. Everybody gets a cut, and whats left goes to the people that actually do the work.

Technically not a hack as they made it publically available, but weev got prison time for the same with AT&T customer emails.

The golden neckbeard

kiwifarms.net
Welcome to economics of governance. Everybody gets a cut, and whats left goes to the people that actually do the work.

Technically not a hack as they made it publically available, but weev got prison time for the same with AT&T customer emails.

Oh shit I forgot all about Weev.

Wonder how he is doing these days

The golden neckbeard

kiwifarms.net
I remember it getting overturned, though I've not heard a thing about him since.

Same. Cant think of anythiing or anywhere i have seen him since like 2014. He ran the same sort of circuits I did so I wouldn't be shocked if he has an account here.

mindlessobserver

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I need a breakdown over how fixing code costs 50 million
Well before it can be fixed a special committee needs to be convened (and paid for their time. The Committee will be made up primarily of the children of State legislatures, and will cost around 500,000 dollars.

The Committee will then sub contract out its own duties (come on, patrician children don't WORK) to a consulting firm. They will look at the work parameters and the Committee will just vote on it. Cost? 5 million dollars.

The plan will then be submitted to the legislature for budgetary approval. Various lobbying groups will get involved, legislature time will be in play and staffers paid. Cost? 1 million dollars.

The appropriation will be approved and open contracts will be made for bidding. After the bids are made, the losing bidders will sue the State, requiring legal defense. Cost? 14.5 million dollars.

The contract will then be paid out to the winning company to fix the bad code. Cost? 13.9 million dollars.

The company will then pay a small team of coders 100,000 dollars to fix the error.

iterator

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Why would that information even be coded into the Page? Like...what the hell?

Wasn't it linked to a Contact me email then linked to Human Resources somehow? Had to of been some sort of Universal Module used to login that never got implented.
Whoever 'engineered' the 'solution' probably made a database query that dumped all the data from the 'teacher' table with HTML2 level formatting tags embedded, and when they got told that actually not everything should be shown on the page, just put <!-- --> comments around the sensitive data to 'hide' it. Being an elegant solution to do the needful.
Same. Cant think of anythiing or anywhere i have seen him since like 2014. He ran the same sort of circuits I did so I wouldn't be shocked if he has an account here.
(((Weev))) runs the IT for the (((Daily Stormer))) and (((American Greatness))) now.

Last edited:

Crunchy Oats

kiwifarms.net
You can't just "decode" the HTML, the idiot devs probably left the SSN in the post response data and the "hacker" used the F12 tools to look at the returned response data.

Pixy

Yo, buddy. Still alive
kiwifarms.net
Whoever 'engineered' the 'solution' probably made a database query that dumped all the data from the 'teacher' table with HTML2 level formatting tags embedded, and when they got told that actually not everything should be shown on the page, just put <!-- --> comments around the sensitive data to 'hide' it. Being an elegant solution to do the needful.

(((Weev))) runs the IT for the (((Daily Stormer))) and (((American Greatness))) now.
He also has an account here if you want to ask him yourself, but I'm too exceptional to know how to tag usernames with emojis.

That $50 million isn't large enough to cover the nepotism and corruption that goes into hiring someone to fix this "glaring national security hole".