Modern Education - Are the cracklets alright?

Worst part about school

• The food

Votes: 8 9.9%
  • The teachers

Votes: 18 22.2%
  • The kids

Votes: 17 21.0%
  • The subjects taught

Votes: 26 32.1%
  • Roastie teach taking my virginity

Votes: 12 14.8%

• Total voters

Apoth42

Hehe xd
kiwifarms.net
All of it.

Teachers get little to no pay, the half that actually want to teach can't discipline the kids or go outside of what the school allows in teaching so it all stays in one strict regiment of tests and textbooks. The other teachers couldn't care less about their jobs and don't want to help students who show any real interest in learning.

Students are rabid juveniles who have just as feral of parents who will try suing a school if a teacher so much as tells the little shits 'no' so classrooms become more of a jailhouse having to deal with kids until their parents begrudgingly take them back home.

Most subjects in school are completely pointless or have no standards. English, vocab, and math were given easy passes if the school didn't want to have people breathe down their neck because some ghetto kid was too busy skipping classes and threatening classmates and would have to be held back another year.

And then of course it comes to money, which they never seem to have any of.

And then after all that you get to go to a university where you relive your years in preschool where everything is soft and colorful and no bad feelings are allowed.
Even societies with well paid and educated teachers have crippling problems.

These teachers are elitist and out of touch when it comes to teaching their students so they put them on a path that is unsustainable. Instead of encouraging tradeschool, the trades are openly mocked and these people are politically correct and oversensitive so kids get expelled for having gun-shaped bananas and saying controversial opinions.

Bad teachers continue to waste students time for decades as a high level degree doesn't guarantee sanity or teaching skills and some of these teachers even rape children and get to keep their jobs because of the sheer strength of their unions.

pwincess fwuffypants

always napping
kiwifarms.net
I guess it depends on who you are and what you want for the kids that you force to attend. School isn't meant to teach what it's supposed to, and it exists primarily as a jobs program and a fiefdom of vassals that serve as a reliable voting block. Kids are primarily there as props to justify the teachers' union's existence. No more, no less. No kids, no teachers, no unions, no voting block.

What kids ultimately teach each other in school is brutal conformity where stepping out of line is punished very harshly. This is by design. Kids are meant to be scared of standing out, scared of excelling and meant to be rewarded for carefully copying what everyone else is doing no matter how goofy or stupid it is.

School in general is a miserable brutal place and I'm surprised not that there are kids who snap and go on shooting rampages but that there are so few of them, relative to the misery.

Last edited:

pwincess fwuffypants

always napping
kiwifarms.net
We also poorly compensate and reward teachers, and even the reward system is fundamentally fractured. Basically, the best people don't want to go into teaching for 1000 valid reasons and attempts to use structure and incentives to get the most out of people who will accept shit wages fell flat because the classroom works best when it is a more organic than mechanistic environment.

You get what you pay for, and that's why most people who are in their late 20s and younger are p darn braindead.
The best aren't supposed to go into teaching. It's welfare for people who have a work ethic and can show up on time but can't really make it in the real world. It's meant to lower the unemployment rate and provide a reliable voting block to politicians that cater to the interests of teachers. Because it's primarily welfare, the pay never will be good, it'll be better than sit on your ass welfare, but it's supposed to be low enough to motivate those who can to find something better to do.

You do get what you pay for. The system doesn't really care that they're braindead. They want people who are just smart enough to follow orders but not smart enough to question them or predict where it's all going. They want cattle they can tell to go to the slaughterhouse and that will cheerfully comply.

• Winner
Reactions: LordofTendons

queerape

A Bathing Ape
kiwifarms.net
Education needs to be better integrated with work and experience. School should not preclude you from full time work as well, rather the two should be brought closer together. In fact, students should have access to class credit for paid work in a relevant field, this could help so many avoid debt, fund employment and could even lift people out of the cycle of destitution.

Apoth42

Hehe xd
kiwifarms.net
Education needs to be better integrated with work and experience. School should not preclude you from full time work as well, rather the two should be brought closer together. In fact, students should have access to class credit for paid work in a relevant field, this could help so many avoid debt, fund employment and could even lift people out of the cycle of destitution.
I don't know about the USA but most schools here have these programs. What's odd is that they're only made available to fuckups when everybody could benefit from them.

This is more than an education problem. The entire society needs to reevaluate the trades and give them a higher status.

wylfım

Lost in an endless void of stupid.
kiwifarms.net
The entire society needs to reevaluate the trades and give them a higher status.
Most people should not be going to college. Not the top 50%, not even the top 70%. At most college should be reserved for top 10-20% of people who can actually do something useful like becoming an engineer, doctor, lawyer, thinker, etc. When people start wanting to go to college for "the [social] experience" rather than the education, something has gone horribly wrong.
For the rest of the people, trade school, starting their own business, or just starting to climb up the corporate ladder, are just as important and give them a chance to develop skills they will use, plus making money. There's nothing to be ashamed of if you aren't cut out for college— it doesn't mean you're not gonna be successful, it just means you won't be successful in a narrow set of criteria that most non-intellectuals probably don't even care about anyways.

pwincess fwuffypants

always napping
kiwifarms.net
Cynically, those youngsters would also be competing with everyone else in the job market and making the unemployment rate higher than it otherwise would be. Not that it matters these days, they just outright lie about all those numbers, they just make them up. But back in the old days, they were somewhat more honest about how they goalseeked the numbers. Part of the reason they kept kids in school so long was to keep them out of the job market for as long as they could.

I do agree, it would be better to get them out of pointless busywork and doing real things, and do not think that the kids don't know what you're doing to them or don't resent it deeply either. They do.

Even the Soviet Union only educated most kids to the 8th grade level or so, and once you washed out or opted out of college prep courses, you were done with school and sent off to work at the factory or wherever else they assigned you to. Then again the Soviet Union did collapse, so maybe they're not the best role model to emulate either. It's a screwed up world out there. Be wary of bright ideas. Especially from me.

pwincess fwuffypants

always napping
kiwifarms.net
Most people should not be going to college. Not the top 50%, not even the top 70%. At most college should be reserved for top 10-20% of people who can actually do something useful like becoming an engineer, doctor, lawyer, thinker, etc. When people start wanting to go to college for "the [social] experience" rather than the education, something has gone horribly wrong.
For the rest of the people, trade school, starting their own business, or just starting to climb up the corporate ladder, are just as important and give them a chance to develop skills they will use, plus making money. There's nothing to be ashamed of if you aren't cut out for college— it doesn't mean you're not gonna be successful, it just means you won't be successful in a narrow set of criteria that most non-intellectuals probably don't even care about anyways.
That's the whole point of having college entrance exams. Either standards for going to college have slipped greatly or kids are getting better at gaming the exam scores. My money is on the former, colleges really don't give a shit about anything other than jerking off these students for their money and then spitting them out with no marketable skills.

• Informative
Reactions: Agent Wet

wylfım

Lost in an endless void of stupid.
kiwifarms.net
That's the whole point of having college entrance exams. Either standards for going to college have slipped greatly or kids are getting better at gaming the exam scores. My money is on the former, colleges really don't give a shit about anything other than jerking off these students for their money and then spitting them out with no marketable skills.
Please dont doublepost my eyes ;=;

With that out of the way, yep its definitely the first one, as long as you're a semi-breathing vegetable you can get into college these days. Scores mean less than they ever have, GPA can be hand-waved away, and colleges are starting to make essays "optional." In other words, its harder to NOT get in to college than ever before in history.

White bubblegum

Blow me
kiwifarms.net
What of the people who just want a degree so they can become wageslaves? Establishing trade schools for accounting/marketing/whatever?
Please dont doublepost my eyes ;=;

With that out of the way, yep its definitely the first one, as long as you're a semi-breathing vegetable you can get into college these days. Scores mean less than they ever have, GPA can be hand-waved away, and colleges are starting to make essays "optional." In other words, its harder to NOT get in to college than ever before in history.
A problem I saw in my high school, not sure about yours, is that a lot of people wanted to go to top colleges. Everyone wanted to go to UIC, U of I, ivy league schools, Northwestern, and thought anything less was a bust.
Sure, reach for the stars, but you're probably going to be a wageslave anyways.

Beyond that, I don't think our education system promotes free thinking, knowledge, and exchange of ideas. But I'm preaching to the choir here.

Guts Gets Some

"Sword=cock" -Susumu Hirasawa
kiwifarms.net
When you peek into your old elementary school in 2018 when you pass by it on the weekend out of curiosity, and still see pictures of Obama hanging on the walls of kindergarten classes... yeah, the problem becomes clear: the teachers.

And they haven't changed since I was a kid.

I went to school with someone up to until high school, who didn't even know how to read until at least 8th grade. Why was he passed? Because none of my elementary school teachers wanted to deal with his extreme personality another year.

Indrid Cold

phone's ringing
kiwifarms.net
Quietly shuffling sexual-predator teachers around as opposed to exposing and terminating them, but what do I know?

...:tomgirl:

Wallace

Cram it in me, baby!
kiwifarms.net
Here's an interesting paper I just read on the rapidly-inflating cost of colleges. Briefly:
  • Because the Charity-status ( 501(c)(3) )of Colleges in America depends on more-than-half of their students being unable to afford the education (read: “receiving financial aid”)
  • That Charity-status protects the Investment Returns of College Endowments from Uncle Sam & the IRS
  • Investment Returns Compound over time, and there is no more powerful force on Earth — anyone not playing the game to maximize Compound-returns will lose to everyone who is.
  • Investment Returns already generate more revenue than undergrad tuition income at: Princeton (911% more), Harvard (529% more), Yale (254% more), MIT (118% more), Stanford (115% more), Brown (29% more), Duke (13% more), Dartmouth (9% more), and U Chicago (6% more)
  • Undergrad tuition brings in just 10%-20% of total revenue at the Ivy League / Top-10 schools not listed above. Undergrad Tuition is not more than a quarter of revenue at any of these schools.
  • Thus: if Colleges want to keep their Investment Returns tax-free, Tuition MUST remain unaffordable for at least 50% of undergrads
This is a major reason why the cost of college has increased by an order of magnitude of their last few decades. I suspect similar schemes are in place for healthcare and the cost of homes.

Apoth42

Hehe xd
kiwifarms.net
Here's an interesting paper I just read on the rapidly-inflating cost of colleges. Briefly:
  • Because the Charity-status ( 501(c)(3) )of Colleges in America depends on more-than-half of their students being unable to afford the education (read: “receiving financial aid”)
  • That Charity-status protects the Investment Returns of College Endowments from Uncle Sam & the IRS
  • Investment Returns Compound over time, and there is no more powerful force on Earth — anyone not playing the game to maximize Compound-returns will lose to everyone who is.
  • Investment Returns already generate more revenue than undergrad tuition income at: Princeton (911% more), Harvard (529% more), Yale (254% more), MIT (118% more), Stanford (115% more), Brown (29% more), Duke (13% more), Dartmouth (9% more), and U Chicago (6% more)
  • Undergrad tuition brings in just 10%-20% of total revenue at the Ivy League / Top-10 schools not listed above. Undergrad Tuition is not more than a quarter of revenue at any of these schools.
  • Thus: if Colleges want to keep their Investment Returns tax-free, Tuition MUST remain unaffordable for at least 50% of undergrads
This is a major reason why the cost of college has increased by an order of magnitude of their last few decades. I suspect similar schemes are in place for healthcare and the cost of homes.
The USA is also the only country where so many people go to college.

Europeans brag about their education being cheap but they have strictly rationed post-secondary. Their primary and secondary systems are tiered and only the highest tier is actually able to access the the cheap education. It's so rationed that they don't even have enough space for these 1st tier students and so their governments have to spend an ungodly fortune sending people abroad to the USA & Canada to study at community colleges.

One thing they get right though is that these 2nd and 3rd tier guys get access to trade schools.

It'd be interesting to see why Canada has much cheaper education despite having a similar situation to the USA.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: LordofTendons

Wallace

Cram it in me, baby!
kiwifarms.net
The USA is also the only country where so many people go to college.

Europeans brag about their education being cheap but they have strictly rationed post-secondary. Their primary and secondary systems are tiered and only the highest tier is actually able to access the the cheap education. It's so rationed that they don't even have enough space for these 1st tier students and so have to spend an ungodly fortune sending people abroad to the USA & Canada to study at community colleges.

One thing they get right though is that these 2nd and 3rd tier guys get access to trade schools.

It'd be interesting to see why Canada has much cheaper education despite having a similar situation to the USA.
What are the job prospects for people without a college degree? Here in the US, they're not good. Can you make a sustainable living working a job that doesn't require a college degree in Europe or Canada?

pwincess fwuffypants

always napping
kiwifarms.net
I hate the school system. I go to a private school and it's still terrible. I especially hate how everyone perpetuates the idea that if you aren't taking all AP classes and using all of your spare time to do the homework you're assigned in those classes (this is not an exaggeration, people actually whine about having to spend all afternoon and all night doing assignments) then you're clinically exceptional and will never go anywhere in life.

But the food's good, so it's fine.
Private schools fall into two categories. Foaming at the mouth hyper-religious madrassas that are primarily there to prepare you for a future in the seminary to become a pastor or hyper-competitive sweatshops that exist to propel you with laser like precision into the most prestigious college they can get you into. Either their reputation rests on how pure their religious instruction is or it rests on how effective they are at getting their graduates into prestigious colleges. At least they exist to educate you in certain narrow ways, as opposed to just fucking you up psychologically. They do that too, but at least out of sheer self-interest they care about educating you.

Are either bad? Again, it depends on who you are, what you want, and what you came here to this realm to do. Do you want to become a pastor? Do you want to go to college and do the kind of work that a college degree binds you to? Do you have better than normal academic aptitude? The answer will be different for every person. If you're a youngun, you probably don't even know and your parents are busy preselecting futures for you based on their own twisted narratives in their heads and you're just a puppet in their theater.

My advice, based on not knowing anything about you is, stay the fuck out of debt. Whatever else happens, not having loads of debt will allow you to adapt and change in this highly chaotic and volatile environment you're in.

pwincess fwuffypants

always napping
kiwifarms.net
What are the job prospects for people without a college degree? Here in the US, they're not good. Can you make a sustainable living working a job that doesn't require a college degree in Europe or Canada?
https://www.youtube.com/user/ONBOARDTECH333KMD

This guy makes $135/hr or so doing auto diagnostics. He's an extreme example though, the average read codes and throw parts monkey makes less than half that an hour. But if you have a good reputation, you don't need any degree to start doing the work.

Apoth42

Hehe xd
kiwifarms.net
There is an enormous amount of jobs that you can get through cert programs, technical schools and apprenticeships. Plumber, oil work, electrician, sanitation worker, etc.

Despite this, college is seen as the only way forward. It's so ingrained in the culture that states have passed laws requiring people to apply for colleges to graduate highschool. New Mexico is trying to do that now.

https://www.campusreform.org/?ID=10473

Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

We are on the Brave BAT program. Consider using Brave as your Browser. It's like Chrome but doesn't tell Google what you masturbate to.

BTC: 1EiZnCKCb6Dc4biuto2gJyivwgPRM2YMEQ
BTC+SW: bc1qwv5fzv9u6arksw6ytf79gfvce078vprtc0m55s
ETH: 0xc1071c60ae27c8cc3c834e11289205f8f9c78ca5
LTC: LcDkAj4XxtoPWP5ucw75JadMcDfurwupet
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino