Modern Web Woes - I'm mad at the internet

Coolio55

DON'T CALL LUIGI AT 3AM!! *OMG HE RICKROLLED ME*
kiwifarms.net
Political spergs rose from GamerGate and Trump, but especially Trump and I hate it. The worst part is that it won't be for another 4 years until they calm down about "nazi drumpf", most likely. (call me optimistic)
I'm afraid that genie is never going back in it's bottle. These people were crazy before trump and even before he decided to run for president their voices were getting louder and louder. We're just gonna have to accept that henry kissinger was fucking right and there's masses of people too stupid to call human. I mean, fuck. These people are so stupid they willingly get their fellow man killed with their terrible ideologies and psuedoscience.

You guys haven't seen the future of the web, computers and javascript. I have seen the future, and it is fucking exceptional.

In the future, there will be no native applications. Everything you do on a computer will be 40 megabytes of javascript pretending to be a desktop application in drag. We're already at the point where developers are doing crazy bullshit like compiling C# to asm.js/webassembly and running it in the browser.

I work on one of these new "web applications" - it's essentially using javascript to pretend to be a native application in drag. People are doing shit like controlling pacemakers using node.js in javascript, using a platform which was developed in two weeks by people who were trying to get people to punch the monkey and win twenty dollars.

I've seen people using angular / react spas somehow churn out 100+ mb worth of javascript that has to load in the browser. It's the most asinine thing in the goddamn word.
Sadly this is only going to get worse as more modern "developers" enter the workforce, because HTML/CSS/JS is easy and many of them are dumb. You won't see any middle managers vying for native applications (where reasonable) because they can shove a web-based prototype out the door and call it done in half the time, and they will be egged on by designers whose brains seem to operate on the CSS box model instead of neurons.
These guys are unfortunately 100% correct. Take it from me, a fellow programmer.

I'm not sure if java or rust compiled to webassembly is worse but with all these horrible attempts at replacing C coming up I'm biding my time until we get so abstracted nobody remembers how all the underlying tech works anymore. Fuck it, I think we've reached that point already.

garakfan69

Please be patient, I have idiocy
kiwifarms.net
I assumed most of that was because of cross-platform compatibility, so they only need people who know how to work with Electron and then they have MacOS/Linux/iOS/Android ports for x86/x64/ARM/ARM64, which makes sense to me.
Vim and Emacs work on more platforms than Electron could ever dream to run on.

Making cross-platform applications with something like QT isn't that hard. Java is even easier and still a million times better than Electron.
Hell, you could pack a cross-platform VM with a minimal OS image that autostarts your application and it would still waste less resources than Electron.

It is complete insanity.

cecograph

kiwifarms.net
The inevitable future of the asm.js mentality was the subject of the semi-satirical talk The Birth and Death of Javascript.

I'm not sure if java or rust compiled to webassembly is worse but with all these horrible attempts at replacing C coming up I'm biding my time until we get so abstracted nobody remembers how all the underlying tech works anymore. Fuck it, I think we've reached that point already.
It happens in the other direction too. The x86 architecture is now just an abstraction over the silicon with plenty of leaky side-channels, and our supposedly low-level C makes crappy assumptions about it.

Getting so abstracted that nobody remembers how anything works is an awesome precarity, and we should get there as soon as possible because it's hilarious.

Making cross-platform applications with something like QT isn't that hard. Java is even easier and still a million times better than Electron.
The push for webapps wasn't about making portability easier. Webapp developers have their share of cross-browser portability headaches. What webapps make easier and safer is deployment.

But yes, Electron apps can fuck off and die and I will never use one.

Last edited:

Shitpiss Babylord

kiwifarms.net
I’ve noticed reverse image searching has become less useful over the years. Recently I found a cool fantasy battle pic, so I put it through the usual to find out who the artist was so I could check out more of their work.

Nothing but page after page after page after page of wallpaper sites, people posting it to some social media or other and people who’d used it to represent something from their fucking dnd campaign which for some autistic reason they’d made an entire wiki for. Not a single mention of who the artist was.

Spedestrian

Based and Scrabblepilled
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Is there any advantages to using the "desktop" version of site that use Electron over just using the browser? Because it seems to me that I going to keep the browser up and running anyway. The same with almost any phone app for sites that can just be accessed via the browser.
A lot of times the app version will continue to work offline, which can be useful if your connection is spotty and the site doesn't have a good caching/syncing mechanism to compensate for it. The app will generally have better system integration too: tray icons, separate notifications, its own entry in the task manager/bar, etc. It can also be easier to modify the app since you have all of its guts in a single place you control.

That said, for most products and most use cases it's pretty fucking pointless. If you don't know exactly what you're getting for the increased resource cost then just stick with the regular website.

AmpleApricots

kiwifarms.net
I love wiby and have spend hours on it since the first time I found it. I've found quite a few interesting websites that were tons more informative than your average idiot youtuber. That's what the internet should be and should've stayed. Sadly as in many other industries, through computer-aided design and abstraction the bar of entry was lowered so much that everyone can now play-pretend to know what they're doing. This trend is even starting in electrical engineering now, people putting together (and selling!) things they have neither qualification nor knowledge to put together properly, with obvious results. I agree that this is gonna be hilarious/sad in a few years but it cannot be stopped anymore.

Also I always personally wondered how much electricity is needlessly burned on shitty programming and various bloated webshit worldwide. It cannot be little. Ask your average soy slurping macbook webdev if his programming is "green" and watch his head explode. But it's more likely that he has no concept of it. Things started going downhill when programmers started not knowing anything about the internals of the computer platforms anymore.

Tags
None