Monster Hunter Rise Announced for Nintendo Switch - Alongside Monster Hunter Stories 2: Wings of Ruin

Focken Kiwi

Nico nico nii bitches!
kiwifarms.net
40 hours.. 40. FUCKING. HOURS! And I've done everything!
Blame me for rushing through the game by just upgrading the Iron Longsword (later Nargacuga) and only farming 2 sets of armor.
Where the hell are my Elder Dragons at!?
And fuck me, it was harder than World for sure, but soloing the Hub quests with subpar gear was still way easier than in GenU.
The rampage quests were a nice challenge though, even if I think that the Basarios gate rushers were a bit bullshit.
Haven't touched multiplayer yet, are there a lot of lobbies around?

Edit: That all said. The gameplay, music and especially the art direction are way better than what they were in World.
I don't even care about the lower textures. The game looks gorgeous.
40 hours? I'm 47 hours in and I'm still in the village quests. Am I monster hunting right?

I'm kidding. I'm making all the low rank armor sets as they become available. Of the 56 armor sets from low rank, I've made 47 of them. It would be all too easy to rush high rank, pull together a decent set of gear and then backtrack for the sake of completionism but playing the way I have been has made most of the fighting I've done challenging and fun. It was rough though fighting 22 Zinogres just for one plate. It's a good thing I enjoy that monster.

It'll be fun when I hit high rank and have to do it all over again for another 50 armor sets.

Naamaleipuri

Has ugly pecs that creep everybody out
kiwifarms.net
40 hours? I'm 47 hours in and I'm still in the village quests. Am I monster hunting right?

I'm kidding. I'm making all the low rank armor sets as they become available. Of the 56 armor sets from low rank, I've made 47 of them. It would be all too easy to rush high rank, pull together a decent set of gear and then backtrack for the sake of completionism but playing the way I have been has made most of the fighting I've done challenging and fun. It was rough though fighting 22 Zinogres just for one plate. It's a good thing I enjoy that monster.

It'll be fun when I hit high rank and have to do it all over again for another 50 armor sets.
I rushed so I cleared the village quests with the base armor, until I got to Barioth (my favorite monster). Got the armor then destroyed the rest of the village quests and went to the hub.
The Apex Arzuros rampage fight was hell, but manageable. Then I got to HR6-7 quests and got my Anjanath gear (shit's goddamn stylish) and fully upgraded Narga Long Sword. After that it's downhill, completely disappointing, no familiar elder dragons and no challenge.

The hardest monster is Rajang... That's how goddamn disappointing the base game is.
I get that they're going to give us "free DLC" but cutting off what's normally in the game isn't DLC
Capcom pls.

Marissa Moira

kiwifarms.net
I rushed so I cleared the village quests with the base armor, until I got to Barioth (my favorite monster). Got the armor then destroyed the rest of the village quests and went to the hub.
The Apex Arzuros rampage fight was hell, but manageable. Then I got to HR6-7 quests and got my Anjanath gear (shit's goddamn stylish) and fully upgraded Narga Long Sword. After that it's downhill, completely disappointing, no familiar elder dragons and no challenge.

The hardest monster is Rajang... That's how goddamn disappointing the base game is.
I get that they're going to give us "free DLC" but cutting off what's normally in the game isn't DLC
Capcom pls.
Is there a way to properly crown snipe yet? I'm just trying to finish the medals on the hunter license and that's always the most time intensive.

Naamaleipuri

kiwifarms.net
Is there a way to properly crown snipe yet? I'm just trying to finish the medals on the hunter license and that's always the most time intensive.
Try the dual monster quests, I guess.
One always spawns as small and the other as big. So far haven't found anything better way.

Marissa Moira

kiwifarms.net
Try the dual monster quests, I guess.
One always spawns as small and the other as big. So far haven't found anything better way.
Yeah that's what I've been doing, fextralife takes all the space up in google searches and their entire MHR section is fucking blank. The Japanese databases don't even have anything yet.

The one thing that bothers me is that the stages are indeed larger, they're still capped at the same number of monsters that world allowed on the map at once. Like even MH3U had hunts where infinite numbers of monster spawned and the more you progressed the less HP every future spawn had. Like I'd like a quest where there's about a dozen or so different monsters all on the map at once. The areas are certainly big enough to do something like that.

Naamaleipuri

kiwifarms.net
Ehh give it a week or two and kiranico will have our answers.
And yeah Fextralife MH pages are pretty fucking awful.

Auk Autist

Birbs create the big Happy
kiwifarms.net
About 50 hours in and I've just hit HR7, finished a nice blademaster set and got the max Nargacuga hammer for myself, with my next goal being charm farming and working on the Narga LBG so I can relive my golden years using the Silverwind LBG in MHGU.

For those worried about the relative lack of monsters, don't worry too much; World had less monsters than Rise does when it came out originally, 4U added in fuckloads more monsters over time before MHXX came out, and it added G-Rank + more monsters beyond that. My personal hopes are that they add in Deviants, more weapon styles from MHXX, and standalone Apexs to fight; I'd kill to have my good old Adept LBG and duel Hellblade Glavenus again. There was this technique in MHXX I picked up and practiced from a speedrunner called MaiLBG where if you fucked with the controls a bit and use Adept, you could dodge, reload and empower your gun and instantly aim at a monster, and it was the most thrilling shit.

Sundae

Weird-Ass Puppet Dog
kiwifarms.net
Now that I've had the game for a week, I'd like to share my thoughts on it:

-Normally I don't buy games at release, but I made an exception for this game, and I'm glad I did. It's been a while since I've had this much fun playing a newer game.

-This game was tougher at the beginning than MH Generations Ultimate was. I lost track of the number of times I got knocked out trying to take down some of these monsters on the first try. Made it all the more rewarding once you learn how to take them down.

-Tetranadon has quickly become not only my favorite monster in the game, but my favorite one in the franchise. I set a goal for myself to get the full set of Tetra armor and weapons, got them and am enjoying them.

-Holy fuck the Hunting Horn in this game is as awesome as people said it was.

-Really enjoy the turf wars aspect. It's awesome to see these massive beats battle each other.

Edit: That all said. The gameplay, music and especially the art direction are way better than what they were in World.
I don't even care about the lower textures. The game looks gorgeous.

Agreed, Rise has some great music:

Marissa Moira

kiwifarms.net
I still think they're definitely going to have fix some weapon mechanics via patch. Combat is certainly not as smooth as world for most weapons. Wyrmstake does KO damage which is very odd especially since slaplance worked in world and the whole thing with long vs wide doesn't seem to have meshed well.

Longsword will never not be touched due to dev bias even though they really should. Lance has weird counter moves now that are something that you should probably avoid.

Monster count doesn't bother me because again you have to crown farm all of them in the end and with no events this means you're going to need to hunt 70 crowns in total. Focusing on the 3 elder dragons first is probably better Chamelios atleast has some pre-existing data, on when he's large and small, they more than likely won't get events so that's 6 crowns out of the way once they're done.

Focken Kiwi

Nico nico nii bitches!
kiwifarms.net
The Apex Arzuros rampage fight was hell, but manageable.
I just finished the last of those 56 armor sets and decided to just tackle the Apex Azuros urgent quest to move onto high rank. I can always clean up those low rank hub quests in the future. Damn though, you weren't kidding. That Apex Arzuros really was hell.

Edit: Boo. I just learned the meowcenaries have rare items too so that's more low rank sets I'm missing. At least I'm well equipped to grind those out.

Last edited:

kidsquid

pretty good, it doesn't seem
kiwifarms.net
Did the Apex Arzuros fight last night with two others. I carted once, to my shame, but holy FUCK. Mildly disappointed that there's no high rank single player quests but I suppose it encourages you to play with friends at least.

I mained bow, dual blades and greatsword in World and was planning on maining hunting horn til my fiance decided he'd do that so I've gone light bowgun and I'm having so much fun. It was way easier to pick up than World was (but I was an idiot who tried to start with insect glaive, and that lasted about two seconds).

One thing I wish we had was the ability to set an online lobby to be visible only to friends. Had to kick some poor rando from my lobby last night and felt kinda bad about it.

PuffyGroundCloud

Steak Connoisseur
kiwifarms.net
Insect glaive in Rise is clunky af to me.
I ended up maining Dual Blades and probably hunting horn since I somehow can clear faster with it

Marissa Moira

kiwifarms.net
Honestly I think they made the campaign shorter due to the amount of filtering that happened in 3U and Generations.

Game still has a significant learning curve that's causing many to not reach end game. I've wound up carrying quite a few groups. At least they didn't fuck up guard for the gunlance, but I have to cobble together my set instead of just getting a normal ass set like most of the other weapons classes.

It feels generally fucking weird, like this game feels like it should have come before world. The Jump between Generations and World was a massive QOL improvement, this however still feels a few steps back in many areas. It's like the Monster Hunter equivalent to Canada. Like 90% of the stuff feels familiar but like the last 10% is fucking off kilter and they have weird money.

KingofNothing

Wahoo!
kiwifarms.net
So I found a weird glitch. I rode the air vent in the Lava Caverns to the very top and when I tried to wirebug near the peak of the lift, I got stuck in the floating animation. You can't camp warp in that animation so the only way to get out is to complete the quest.

Marissa Moira

kiwifarms.net
The special edition themed controller looks like bullshit. It's a regular switch controller just with some gold imprint on it, they didn't even bother to make it a special color like the Xenoblade controller.

Online retailers still haven't done anything against bots it seems, base game is being sold for 80 the deluxe edition is around 90-120. the regular standard amiibos are around 70 bucks alone.

I wanted to also pick up a second copy and people are now the defending and justifying the same pain in the fucking ass bullshit that the PS5 and XSX had, because the fucking branding on the box is different. I've been collecting Nintendo games for decades they're not an "investment", who the fuck keeps promoting this? Like Geez both World and Iceborne I was able to get multiple copies of for people no problem and that included the steelbook that came with it.

Takayuki Yagami

Justice is Blind, and Autistic
kiwifarms.net
Is this on MT Framework like World or have they switched over to the RE engine? Considering how good this looks on the Switch I’m assuming it’s RE. The more I see of this the more I like.

MooseGump

Woah
kiwifarms.net
Is this on MT Framework like World or have they switched over to the RE engine? Considering how good this looks on the Switch I’m assuming it’s RE. The more I see of this the more I like.
There's a big fat RE Engine intro so they finally made that thing work decently on the switch

Well..."decently"

Focken Kiwi

Nico nico nii bitches!
kiwifarms.net
I decided to pick up another weapon now that I'm moving into High Rank. I wanted to give a ranged weapon a try since I've avoided them in previous Monster Hunter titles and one of them caught my eye. The Arachnid Bow's first three charge shots are Pierce Level 2 -> Pierce Level 5 -> Pierce Level 4. The only two coatings it's missing is Blast and Exhaust but its Sleep coating is boosted. It looks like it would be a solid bow for a piercing/dragon piercer build. I'm still just in low rank armor and I have one more bow upgrade to go but the damage is already pretty solid.

EnemyStand

kiwifarms.net
Picked it up, playing around with it a bit. Trying the greatsword for now since I was a switch axe guy in World and wanted to try something different.

Syikeblade

kiwifarms.net
Did the Apex Arzuros fight last night with two others. I carted once, to my shame, but holy FUCK. Mildly disappointed that there's no high rank single player quests but I suppose it encourages you to play with friends at least.

I mained bow, dual blades and greatsword in World and was planning on maining hunting horn til my fiance decided he'd do that so I've gone light bowgun and I'm having so much fun. It was way easier to pick up than World was (but I was an idiot who tried to start with insect glaive, and that lasted about two seconds).

One thing I wish we had was the ability to set an online lobby to be visible only to friends. Had to kick some poor rando from my lobby last night and felt kinda bad about it.
High rank is online multiplayer but it's possible to it solo. As for lobbies as far as I know now is set a password.