Monster Hunter Rise Announced for Nintendo Switch - Alongside Monster Hunter Stories 2: Wings of Ruin

MooseGump

Woah
kiwifarms.net
Did the Apex Arzuros fight last night with two others. I carted once, to my shame, but holy FUCK. Mildly disappointed that there's no high rank single player quests but I suppose it encourages you to play with friends at least.

I mained bow, dual blades and greatsword in World and was planning on maining hunting horn til my fiance decided he'd do that so I've gone light bowgun and I'm having so much fun. It was way easier to pick up than World was (but I was an idiot who tried to start with insect glaive, and that lasted about two seconds).

One thing I wish we had was the ability to set an online lobby to be visible only to friends. Had to kick some poor rando from my lobby last night and felt kinda bad about it.

High rank is online multiplayer but it's possible to it solo. As for lobbies as far as I know now is set a password.
Hunter Connect, it let's you make a group and any lobby you create will be exclusive to whoever is in the group

Str8Bustah

The nose knows
kiwifarms.net
Managed to get up to HR7 mostly lonehunting but with some help on the rampage quests.
I actually kind of like the rampage quests, but they're nothing like what I was expecting them to be based on the trailers.

Anyway, if anyone wants someone to hunt with or wants a boost on a difficult quest then I'm happy to help.

kidsquid

pretty good, it doesn't seem
kiwifarms.net
High rank is online multiplayer but it's possible to it solo. As for lobbies as far as I know now is set a password.
I'm lucky enough to not have to solo as my other half has the game too. I might solo the stuff if he's not up for it but it's more fun with two of us.

Finally found Rajang. He was sleeping and I gave him a love tap, then he thoroughly erased me from existence. 10/10 would wake up again.

Still having mad fun with the bowgun. Might go back to world and make some bowguns on there.

Takayuki Yagami

Justice is Blind, and Autistic
kiwifarms.net
So what’s probably the most fun weapon in this one? My understanding is that Hunting Horn got a massive rework and LBG gets a lot of cool shit via being able to shoot the otherwise fiddly ammo and the mines directly down on the monster. The other ones I’m not clear on. I played CB and GS in World.

Sundae

Weird-Ass Puppet Dog
kiwifarms.net
So what’s probably the most fun weapon in this one? My understanding is that Hunting Horn got a massive rework and LBG gets a lot of cool shit via being able to shoot the otherwise fiddly ammo and the mines directly down on the monster. The other ones I’m not clear on. I played CB and GS in World.

Hunting horn is kick-ass in this game. Highly recommend you give it a whirl at least once.

Haven't played it myself yet, but I've also heard some good things about gunlance.

If you want a better understanding of each weapon, these videos can explain them:

Marissa Moira

kiwifarms.net
Hunting horn is kick-ass in this game. Highly recommend you give it a whirl at least once.

Haven't played it myself yet, but I've also heard some good things about gunlance.

If you want a better understanding of each weapon, these videos can explain them:
There's a mixed set that everyone uses for gunlance prior to end game. But they've made some really weird changes and endgame Gunlance in Rise pales in comparison to endgame Gunlance in iceborne.

EnemyStand

kiwifarms.net
I tried using the Heavy Bowgun today and holy crap I had so much fun. The controls just seem smoother from World for it, but I could be mistaken. Anyway, I'm a Gunner main now, I guess.

Shamino

kiwifarms.net
Looks like they finally tuned up the SA to actually make the most out of both modes. I believe Axe mode's movement speed is almost as fast as MHGU tempest's axe.

Gentleburd

Has a teensy top hat
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Everyone’s talking about how great their chosen weapons are so I’ll just pop in and say that hammers are still good.

I like hammers.

I smack the monster in the head and make them fall down.

I’m not flashy like the long sword or fancy like the insect glaive but I help.

I help. :(

MooseGump

Woah
kiwifarms.net
Hammers whirl around and hit anything that happens to be in the way, that's all I need to go through high rank until I get blasted by a giant laser

That's when I gotta hit harder back

Taylor Swift's Ghostwrite

2016 Oppression Olympics Bronze Medalist
kiwifarms.net
I'm a horn and long sword user, really been enjoying the game a lot. I play support in most coop games so it's nice having a solid option for that.

Only mon I have trouble with is the stupid Magnamalo. I can't figure out why it kicks my ass so badly.

Focken Kiwi

Nico nico nii bitches!
kiwifarms.net
Everyone’s talking about how great their chosen weapons are so I’ll just pop in and say that hammers are still good.

I like hammers.

I smack the monster in the head and make them fall down.

I’m not flashy like the long sword or fancy like the insect glaive but I help.

I help. :(
Yes you do and I love your stuns.

Nova Prime

Narrow Minded writing, Overextended thinking
kiwifarms.net
Switch axe has one of the most unga bunga silkbind moves in the game. No time to dodge? Invincible gambit. In a corner? Invincible gambit. Your first one put you in a bad position? Do it again because it uses one wirebug charge. Let's you keep the pressure up. Just be sure you can take the hit(s).

Pulpanator

Snake Girl Aficionado
kiwifarms.net
I mained switch axe in world, it feels really clunky in rise for some reason. Dual blades and long sword feel amazing tho.

RhoasJonas

Dying slowly.
kiwifarms.net
Switch axe has one of the most unga bunga silkbind moves in the game. No time to dodge? Invincible gambit. In a corner? Invincible gambit. Your first one put you in a bad position? Do it again because it uses one wirebug charge. Let's you keep the pressure up. Just be sure you can take the hit(s).
Soaring Wyvern Blade outstrips it for practical use, but Rise has done a valiant effort in trying to make the axe side feel like an axe.

Focken Kiwi

Nico nico nii bitches!
kiwifarms.net
I was triple carted for the first time today. High Rank Nargacuga kicked my ass not just once, but twice. I had three options. Keep throwing my face against the brick wall, back up and do a bunch of farming to make a more appropriate gearset for the fight, or use absolutely everything I could with my current gearset to my advantage. I broke out the Mega Demondrugs, Armorskins, Dash Juice, Sonic and Flash Bombs, Large and Large+ Barrel Bombs... I started a hunt by maxing out my stats with Spiribirds and snagged some other helpful endemic life. I led the Nargacuga to some other helpful and conveniently present monsters and even put those monsters to good use. Now Nargacuga is facedown in the dirt, I have a shiny new belt and my piercing bow armor set is now complete.

Arachnid Silverstring
Decoration Slots - None
190 Damage
20% Affinity
Arc Shot Affinity
Rampage Skill
Poison Coating Boost
Charge Shot
Level 1 - Pierce Level 2
Level 2 - Pierce Level 5
Level 3 - Pierce Level 4

Level 4 - Spread Level 4

Rhenoplos Helm S
Decoration Slots - 1 (1-Slot)
Pierce Up - Level 2
Stun Resistance - Level 1

Pukei-Pukei Mail S
Decoration Slots - 1 (1-Slot)
Special Ammo Boost - Level 1
Constitution - Level 2

Tetranadon Braces S
Decoration Slots - 2 (1-Slot) (1-Slot)
Heroics - Level 1
Special Ammo Boost - Level 1

Nargacuga Coil S
Decoration Slots - 1 (2-Slot)
Evade Extender - Level 2
Critical Eye - Level 1

Rhenoplos Greaves S
Decoration Slots - 2 (1-Slot) (1-Slot)
Pierce Up - Level 1
Tremor Resistance - Level 1

Armor Skill Totals
Pierce Up - Level 3
Constitution - Level 2
Special Ammo Boost - Level 2
Evade Extender - Level 2
Critical Eye - Level 1
Tremor Resistance - Level 1
Stun Resistance - Level 1
Heroics - Level 1

I plan on gemming in for Evade Extender III on that Nargacuga belt. I think the next time I have to fight that bastard, things will be a bit different since I can get the hell away from him now.

Being a solo hunter is hard sometimes :(.

Marissa Moira

kiwifarms.net
Supposedly not all hunter awards are working properly and some shit may only become attainable next patch.

And Rampage missions were supposed to award crowns but I've yet to get one from those.

Honored guest

kiwifarms.net
I haven't played Monster Hunter since MH Generations on the 3ds how does this one compare to that? All the comparisons I've heard of compare it to MH world so I'm a little confused on what has been added and removed.

Acrid Alchemist

Drinker of mysterious brews
kiwifarms.net
I haven't played Monster Hunter since MH Generations on the 3ds how does this one compare to that? All the comparisons I've heard of compare it to MH world so I'm a little confused on what has been added and removed.
A lot of quality of life changes like much faster and cleaner gathering, crafting things like potions is easier and can be somewhat automated and unlimited of tools like pickaxe and whetstone. Potion drinking has changed from stand still, chug, flex and heal to walk and drink while healing over time during the animation. Also it is one huge seamless map instead of broken into loading zones.

I feel like the controls are smoother but that might just be me hating handheld and much preferring controllers.

New to Rise is the Wirebug which works like a combo of a grappling hook and the Hunter Arts from Generations. Also a second helper in the form of a dog that you can ride.

If you really liked Generations though it might feel barren since there is a lot less monster variety and while Switch Skills are reminiscent of Hunting Styles/Arts there is a lot less of them then in Generations. There will be more monsters added for free over time which is good and they'll probably follow World's plan with making G Rank a DLC in a year or two instead of another version.