Monster Hunter Rise Announced for Nintendo Switch - Alongside Monster Hunter Stories 2: Wings of Ruin

Str8Bustah

The nose knows
kiwifarms.net
Having just finished building my gimmicky paintbrush IG set and messing around with it for a bit, i can safely say it's probably the furthest from standard IG play I've seen so far. It's almost like playing MHW LS, except you're using an IG instead of an LS

Colloid

kiwifarms.net
Spent all day yesterday capturing barroths and carving tigrexes for a chance at a wyvern gem; didn’t get one after about 20-some hunts. Decide to respond online to apex rathian rampages this morning for a change of pace; get two rathian rubies. This game is trolling me.

Marissa Moira

kiwifarms.net
Spent all day yesterday capturing barroths and carving tigrexes for a chance at a wyvern gem; didn’t get one after about 20-some hunts. Decide to respond online to apex rathian rampages this morning for a change of pace; get two rathian rubies. This game is trolling me.
They put out a notice that RNG is fucking with the charms, however people are finding that the RNG being gay isn't just isolated to the charms.

It's like in 3U where you had to check for charm tables by syncing your character creation with the system's clock and then running a few missions and noting every 7th quest reward drop to see if you are on a bad table or not.

Colloid

kiwifarms.net
They put out a notice that RNG is fucking with the charms, however people are finding that the RNG being gay isn't just isolated to the charms.

It's like in 3U where you had to check for charm tables by syncing your character creation with the system's clock and then running a few missions and noting every 7th quest reward drop to see if you are on a bad table or not.
What do charm tables have anything to do with monster drops? They’re completely different.

Marissa Moira

kiwifarms.net
What do charm tables have anything to do with monster drops? They’re completely different.
People are finding that it may not be the case and charm table drops may be indicative of general loot tables.

Capcom apparently fucked up a ton of shit from behind the scenes because even specific buffs don't work.

Colloid

kiwifarms.net
People are finding that it may not be the case and charm table drops may be indicative of general loot tables.
Until someone can actually prove this with datamined code I’m going to have a very hard time believing this. Bugged melding pot rng is one thing, but tying that to why a 5% drop isn’t showing up while another does after just 20-some hunts is a hard sell for me.

Marissa Moira

kiwifarms.net
Until someone can actually prove this with datamined code I’m going to have a very hard time believing this. Bugged melding pot rng is one thing, but tying that to why a 5% drop isn’t showing up while another does after just 20-some hunts is a hard sell for me.
Some stuff is easier to get on lower rank simply due to the smaller loot tables and the decreased HP of the monsters, but it's needed for High rank gear. So despite it having a lesser chance to drop on lower rank, it's competing with less items in the item pool.

I mean the game could have used another 3 months of development time to iron out a bunch of weird shit that people are finding.

Focken Kiwi

Nico nico nii bitches!
kiwifarms.net
That's funny. I got 12 Zinogre plates before getting a Zinogre Jasper yesterday. In fact, I got 4 plates on the reward screen itself in back to back hunts for a total of 8 plates. I need 3 of those wyvern gems too now to wrap up the Diablos and Tigrex armor sets.

Edit: I finally completed all of the high rank and low rank armor sets for my hunter as well as the high rank and low rank gear sets for palico and palamute. I guess it's time to dump all these extra materials into more talismans.

Edit 2: I found a fantastic resource that will help you build your sets: https://mhrise.wiki-db.com/sim/?hl=en
First, you hit the charms tab and input the best ones you have or intend on using. After that, you move to the search tab and use drop down menus to specify what skills you want on one set. You then hit the search button on the bottom and the page uses your charms, all the armor sets, and decoration slots/decorations to calculate out every combination to give you the builds you desire. Here's one I'm incredibly happy with:

UBD1.jpgUBD2.jpgUBD3.jpgUBD4.jpg

Last edited:

Auk Autist

Birbs create the big Happy
kiwifarms.net
As a complete Monster Hunter autist, I would like to loudly complain about the faults of Rise, and likewise praise it for some of the cool shit it does.
-Most of the wirebug skills are probably not going to return in the future

-Longsword unironically is a better guarding and parrying weapon than the lance, 50% more damage of every other blademaster weapon and i-frames that last 10 frames conpared to lance's 3-frame instablock or rolling's 4-frame window

-Regular guarding nerfed for every single regular shield attack in the game, Guard and Guard Up don't help much. Every weapon has an alternate counter or hyperarmor switch skill now

-30 FPS makes certain things like dodging and using Lance's insta-block hard to use (I am a spurned former Lance main)

-Took an entire month to unfuck the charm melding process because they coded it in such a way that it'd loop distributed charms infinitely, hilariously emulating 3U's charm table

-Vertical hitboxes are still fucked and extend a mile upward

-No reason to use palicos over dogs unless you want extra monster parts from gatherer palicos, since they do more damage, inflict more status, and let you ride them while sharpening between areas

-Literally unfinished because the true final boss of HR isn't out two months after release

-Offense skills are still undisputedly the best at endgame

-Nargacuga and Tigrex weapons are the be-all end-all for RAW

-Bow's elemental damage calculations are still fucked and do too much damage because of a coding error

-No freecam when taking in-game pictures, heavily restricted angles

-Several dango skills don't function as intended

-Every single japanese player using Longsword or Light Bowgun in multiplayer WILL cart once at minimum

-If quest host has shit internet the monster will move like its on dial-up and teleport itself 10 times every 3 seconds, carting 2 Japanese players per move

-Many weapons have shit wirebug skills starting out, the worst offender being Insect Glaive whose aerial finisher in World was removed and locked behind crafting several high-rank IGs, making the aerial combo useless for most of the game

-Charge Blade's SAED's hitbox is too low and won't hit any part of the monther more than two inches off the ground

-Light Bowgun does as much damage as, and is vastly more mobile than the Heavy Bowgun, removing it's identity (does too much damage in most games but it just has no reason for being anymore)

-Slopes are too easy to start sliding on in cerrain parts of maps and completely fucks over Hammer users

-No deviant armor for the Deviant/Apex hybrids in the game

-Loads of fucking paid cosmetic DLC right off the bat

-English VAs are cancer and ruin every story scene and hunt, sounds like they're reading Dr.Seuss when introducing monsters for the first time

-Baby Testucabaras and Zamzites in game, but no Tetsucabara or Zamtrios to fight

Coldsteelnamalo the Hedgeheg bodies the three newly-introduced elder dragons despite being a regular Fanged Wyvern, most forgettable flagship yet

-no Qurupeco

-A fair amount of the wirebug and switch skills are pretty fun and offer different playstyles

-Using wirebugs for movement through stages and to evade attacks feels great, even if you can get hit again if you launch yourself into the monster again

-Most weapons are no longer BONED like in World, unique designs and looks restored

-Every area looks really good aesthetically

-Just about every piece of music that isn't the village theme is a banger

-Took a month but transmog is back, fashionhunter is the true endgame after all

-Dogs are fun to ride and make transitioning to new areas convenient

-Taking pictures of endemic life or monsters and using the pictures for the encyclopedia is pretty cool

-Nice little bits of lore foreshadowing upcoming elder dragons with the Katana notes hidden in stages are really cool

-Rampages are honestly pretty neat and add a little bit more variety to the game

-Introductory cutscenes for each monster is super fucking cool in japanese language

-Palico in full Basarios armor turns into a rock when you crouch

-Training area with a robotic Tetranadon you can command to attack you and do various shit is incredibly nice for testing sets

Thanks for coming to my TED Talk

Last edited:

Focken Kiwi

Nico nico nii bitches!
kiwifarms.net
No reason to use palicos over dogs unless you want extra monster parts from gatherer palicos, since they do more damage, inflict more status, and let you ride them while sharpening between areas
I certainly disagree on that point. The fighter palico is actually pretty great. The first ability they have access to, Rousing Roar, gives you earplugs and +30% affinity for 2:30. Using Fevines, you can upkeep the buff for the majority of your hunts.

You do make some other good points though. Especially the English voice actors. Japanese or 'Monster Hunter Language' are the best choices. I too am also disappointed at the lack of Tetsucabra and Zamtrios but also Great Jaggi and Great Jagras.

Auk Autist

Birbs create the big Happy
kiwifarms.net
I too am also disappointed at the lack of Tetsucabra and Zamtrios but also Great Jaggi and Great Jagras.
Jagras should be in but both he and Jaggi are basic bitches, Great Maccao and the fucking elder-god tier banger that is his music is where its at. I also thoroughly believe he is the best "babby's first monster" ever made.

Also with how easy it is to hit 100% affinity as it is, Fighter Palico's buff just ain't needed. I will concede that the Assist palico giving you a permanent 3rd wirebug is actually good for wirebug-skill spammer weapons like Lance and Hammer, but affinity ain't shit.

Focken Kiwi

Nico nico nii bitches!
kiwifarms.net
Jagras should be in but both he and Jaggi are basic bitches, Great Maccao and the fucking elder-god tier banger that is his music is where its at. I also thoroughly believe he is the best "babby's first monster" ever made.
More monsters means more opportunities in mixing armor sets. I'd gladly take Great Maccao too.

I've exhausted the content of Rise and have been thinking of doing an 'items only' playthrough on a second file using only kunai, barrel bombs, endemic life, wyvern riding and mounted artillery in rampages/Narwa. I've tested the waters and without a dango food buff, I've cleared Great Izuchi (village) in 10:56 with kunai only. I think it should be doable if I use every tool at my disposal.

instythot

kiwifarms.net
As a complete Monster Hunter autist, I would like to loudly complain about the faults of Rise, and likewise praise it for some of the cool shit it does.

-Longsword unironically is a better guarding and parrying weapon than the lance, 50% more damage of every other blademaster weapon and i-frames that last 10 frames conpared to lance's 3-frame instablock or rolling's 4-frame window

-Regular guarding nerfed for every single regular shield attack in the game, Guard and Guard Up don't help much. Every weapon has an alternate counter or hyperarmor switch skill now

-30 FPS makes certain things like dodging and using Lance's insta-block hard to use (I am a spurned former Lance main)

-Took an entire month to unfuck the charm melding process because they coded it in such a way that it'd loop distributed charms infinitely, hilariously emulating 3U's charm table

-No reason to use palicos over dogs unless you want extra monster parts from gatherer palicos, since they do more damage, inflict more status, and let you ride them while sharpening between areas

-Literally unfinished because the true final boss of HR isn't out two months after release

-Bow's elemental damage calculations are still fucked and do too much damage because of a coding error

-Every single japanese player using Longsword or Light Bowgun in multiplayer WILL cart once at minimum

-If quest host has shit internet the monster will move like its on dial-up and teleport itself 10 times every 3 seconds, carting 2 Japanese players per move

-Many weapons have shit wirebug skills starting out, the worst offender being Insect Glaive whose aerial finisher in World was removed and locked behind crafting several high-rank IGs, making the aerial combo useless for most of the game

-Charge Blade's SAED's hitbox is too low and won't hit any part of the monther more than two inches off the ground

-Light Bowgun does as much damage as, and is vastly more mobile than the Heavy Bowgun, removing it's identity (does too much damage in most games but it just has no reason for being anymore)

-Slopes are too easy to start sliding on in cerrain parts of maps and completely fucks over Hammer users

-English VAs are cancer and ruin every story scene and hunt, sounds like they're reading Dr.Seuss when introducing monsters for the first time

-Baby Testucabaras and Zamzites in game, but no Tetsucabara or Zamtrios to fight

Coldsteelnamalo the Hedgeheg bodies the three newly-introduced elder dragons despite being a regular Fanged Wyvern, most forgettable flagship yet

-no Qurupeco

-A fair amount of the wirebug and switch skills are pretty fun and offer different playstyles

-Using wirebugs for movement through stages and to evade attacks feels great, even if you can get hit again if you launch yourself into the monster again

-Most weapons are no longer BONED like in World, unique designs and looks restored

-Taking pictures of endemic life or monsters and using the pictures for the encyclopedia is pretty cool

-Nice little bits of lore foreshadowing upcoming elder dragons with the Katana notes hidden in stages are really cool

-Rampages are honestly pretty neat and add a little bit more variety to the game

-Introductory cutscenes for each monster is super fucking cool in japanese language

-Training area with a robotic Tetranadon you can command to attack you and do various shit is incredibly nice for testing sets

Hard agree: bumping up LBGs damage eliminates the point of one of them. I will continue to play the obsolete one as I have since FU

Hard agree: I get that tetranadon is supposed to take zamtrios' place, but why give me babies of a far superior monster and not give me the monster? Where is agnaktor? If I have great baggi and great wroggi why don't I have great jaggi? And I guess sure, why not jagras too. Deviljho > bazelgeuse

Hard agree: Magnamalo is a lazy flagship, and a lazy monster period. Looks a lot like a vajra from God Eater, and the speed, mobility and rate of fire makes the fight feel very GE too. Other games should be borrowing from MH, not the other way around. Goss Harag has an enjoyable dark souls feel the first couple of times around, but again, MH shouldn't be feeling like other games

Hard Disagree: cats are noticably more powerful than dogs, especially when no lengthy travel is required. They just seem to work harder. Trap cats are really nice, and taking a pair of healing cats is pretty op

Hard disagree; rampages are hands down the worst MH content I've played. I cannot wait for them to be gone in the next game, and am glad nothing truly good is hidden behind them. I will gladly give up rampages to get crouch fire back, but I suppose that combined with spare shot and any given damage boost would be too much hbg love

Soft disagree: we don't have enough jewel slots to play around with guard up + guard yet, when there aren't really any truly dangerous unblockables (or any attacks) yet. Especially as HBG when you need those slots for spare shot, main ammo up and sometimes recoil down

Surprises: The HBG switch skills are not entirely useless like most new features. It's taking a little getting used to, but having a parry is opening up some interesting avenues for roar punishment, particularly against diablo

The new ammo is shockingly only brokenly overpowered in the new mode and flat out useless in regular play. Expected it to be broken in all aspects. Slicing ammo still is, though.

The line between streamlining and dumbing down is getting blurrier with drinks gone. Should a hunter not have to prepare for extreme environments?

Still, everything is better than launch world was. Content is about as thin as that was too. Lightning snake is better than blue fatalis, but neither should have been so easy to beat with high rank gear. I decidedly do not like this new "we'll add new monsters and finish the game when we're ready, also we will balance things on the fly" approach. Release the thing and take my money when the game is finished.

Love_Machine011

We go for the eyes. Then the tongue. Then the hand
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net

-no Qurupeco

Just because something isn't an eldar dragon does not mean it can't body elder dragon. Akantor and ukanklos could body most elder dragons.

RhoasJonas

Dying slowly.
kiwifarms.net
They have zero idea what they want to do with Gunlance. They fucked with the wyrmstake blast.
>Nerf shelling by 20%
>Give it back as a skill that is a limited time buff
It's fine, when Gunlance players can come to a consensus on anything, then they can have a good weapon.