Morality of Piracy - Yet another quality FuckedUp thread

Bumblino

kiwifarms.net
I'm cheap and most forms of entertainment aren't worth the prices they ask for them.

I still buy actual books because I don't like reading them on a display.
Agree with you there on the books, the smell of paper is great. However plenty of small-time writers are doing digital these days (since I guess it's easier to have your shit published if there's no printing cost attached to it) which sucks. Same with physical game copies. I just like having a big pile of the stuff I own around me, sometimes it even inspires me to re-read or re-play something I forgot existed.

ExceptionallyExceptional

GET OFF MY LAWN!
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I pirate the fuck out of shit, but if I like the shit I pirate enough I end up buying it. A prime example is the game Subnautica. I downloaded it from igg-games and gave it a try. 2 hours later I uninstalled the pirated version and took my ass to Steam to buy it for $20, which considering how much time I've spent playing the fucking game with and without mods I'd say was a worthwhile purchase. Plus that funding helped them make Below Zero, which I also intend to purchase once it's nearer completion.

Otherwise, as @Van Darkholme said a lot of this shit ain't worth the asking price. I can derive endless enjoyment from Subnautica, especially as new mods come out. And that cost me the price of a delivery place family size pizza meal. If you can't match that, you're not getting my fucking money. I don't have enough of it to justify spending 50 or 60 bucks on every game I might want to play, especially since I'll probably only play it for a dozen or so hours and move on.

Make your product worth my while and I'll gladly pay for it. Until then, strike yer colors and prepare to be boarded ya scurvy cur!
yoho.gif

ToroidalBoat

Token Hispanic Friend
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
there's another thread like this
It's disturbing how cult-like the devotion to "intellectual property" can be in the modern world. I've seen people (on deviantART of course) argue that fair use is bad. And of course, the "woke" think intangible culture itself should always be property ("cultural appropriation" and "indigenous intellectual property"). I think it may be best if people stop having the idea that one can own ideas themselves, and "steal" by copying alone. Real "plagiarism" (from a word meaning "abducting") should be thought of as lying or dishonesty, not some kind of "theft".

That said, we're stuck with copyright - no thanks to Di$ney lobbyists extending it far beyond a lifetime. So the way things are set up, I personally think at the moment that it's best not to illegally copy, when doing so actually "replaces a sale".
(If there was no Stationers Guild, we wouldn't be in this mess.)

Last edited:

Dont Mind Me

kiwifarms.net
If its indie or a small author (like Cory Doctorow, who has all his books online for free), ill buy them if I like them, as a way to show appreciation. If its big business (fuck you Disney and EA), ill pirate it. If its a textbook, ill pirate it and send everyone in the class a copy, because textbook companies deserve to burn for charging $300 for a book that has 4 changes from the last edition.

• Agree
Reactions: M'aiq the Liar

murdered meat bag

kiwifarms.net
steal what you can because you don't want to pay for it. do what you can now because they're knocking out release groups left and right and putting pressure on vpns, torrent sites and usenet servers. if you like it, buy it.

sadbird

I cry every time
kiwifarms.net
As an adult, I can pay for things. the fortunate thing about piracy is being able to spend my money on precisely what I want without regret. I simply pay for what is worth paying for, and I think that's a reasonable stance to take.

• Agree
Reactions: Bumblino

Deadpool

Possibly a reptilian.
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I pirate the fuck out of shit, but if I like the shit I pirate enough I end up buying it. A prime example is the game Subnautica. I downloaded it from igg-games and gave it a try. 2 hours later I uninstalled the pirated version and took my ass to Steam to buy it for $20, which considering how much time I've spent playing the fucking game with and without mods I'd say was a worthwhile purchase. Plus that funding helped them make Below Zero, which I also intend to purchase once it's nearer completion.

Otherwise, as @Van Darkholme said a lot of this shit ain't worth the asking price. I can derive endless enjoyment from Subnautica, especially as new mods come out. And that cost me the price of a delivery place family size pizza meal. If you can't match that, you're not getting my fucking money. I don't have enough of it to justify spending 50 or 60 bucks on every game I might want to play, especially since I'll probably only play it for a dozen or so hours and move on.

Make your product worth my while and I'll gladly pay for it. Until then, strike yer colors and prepare to be boarded ya scurvy cur!
View attachment 1598224
I did this exact thing with Stardew Valley. I downloaded an apk for the mobile app. I loved it, and knew I'd like playing with a controller even more so I bought it for xbox one. Novels I buy because I prefer physical copies. Oddly though I prefer reading on a tablet (luckily.)

stacks

brb smashing up local tescos
kiwifarms.net
if everyone pirated it would be a problem but they don't so it isn't, and it won't be until that day comes

The handsome tard

Currently targeting Bill Gates, you are welcome!
kiwifarms.net
I think piracy becomes a duty when dealing with nearly extinct pieces of media. What I mean is, for example, Japan just nuked KissAnime (a dime a dozen but it was the most known of its type), I can understand their reasoning for like brand new anime, however, I cant with older undistributed anime outside of Japan. There are some anime brands that simply refuse to go to the states or anywhere outside of Japan and their owners make a shitty job of preserving it. I mean, fuck, what will happen when a certain anime has no modern DVDs and no other online source to get it? Its destined to become a piece of lost media sooner or later. In that case, things like Kiss Anime were important for their preservation.

Colloid

kiwifarms.net
When it comes to games and movies, I'll usually just buy them from Steam, Gog, Walmart, etc. since 4/5 times I can get it on sale for a solid deal, or it's something that I know I'll really love and won't regret paying full price for. But when companies start trying to do me dirty (like Funimation pulling all of their licensed shows off sites like VRV to hoard them on their inferior video service, or Epic poaching Steam titles for their walking security risk of a storefront), that's when I go full Gene Wilder, pirate the media directly, and go back to buying things from companies that don't fuck consumers like me over for an extra dollar in their pockets.

• Agree
Reactions: The handsome tard
Tags
None