Moron repair job thread - post people fucking up repair jobs /storys of retards who sent you broken shit to repair

Kenobi

kiwifarms.net
Thread for people fucking up repair jobs, by either being incompentet or overconfident.

Jayztwo cents - Fixes a 2500 dollar graphics card with a fucking glue gun

Says he isnt a "soldering noob" yet has none of the technique or understanding of how soldering works.

"sins"
-Buys a soldering iron pencil with the wattage equivalent of a womans bench press, with a conical tip
-Lathes off the coating on the tip
-Dosent clean the surface area
-Dosent heat up the surface area
-No flux
-Solders ontop of the component and dosent understand why it dosent stick
-Has no idea of what he is soldering or what it does

Then trough the power of shear retardedness the card fucking works
1584057692249.png

break these cuffs

Wagner loves cock
kiwifarms.net
This is an affront against Allah stw and all that is good. Thank you for spoilering. I can't remember the IPC standard I got certified in during high school, but my electronics manufacturing teacher might have punched me in the mouth if I showed up with something like that. Based on this and the guys hair, he's a professional exceptional individual isn't he?

SSF2T Old User

No Super Combos Necessary
kiwifarms.net
Idk if they've improved over the years, but I remember like a decade ago Best Buy's Geek Squad had people talking more bad shit about it than good. In fact, my sister experienced this first hand when her HP tower got fucked up (major slow-downs and constant crashes). She bought it at Best Buy so she took it to the Geek Squad to see if they could fix it. The next day they gave it to her and it must have lasted like a few hours till it crapped out on her again. After like the third time she brought it back, Geek Squad was like "fuck it, here's an e-Machine on us".

Stasi

kiwifarms.net
Thinkpad x230 lids have a flaw. The top section housing the webcam and wi fi antenna is plastic (rest is metal) and is attached to the rest of the lid by small metal pins on either side of the lid. These break because or repeated stress of lifting the lid.

Decided to fix mine. Bough the wrong kind of epoxy (liquid kind instead of the putty type). Make a fucking mess but still manage to glue the top section on except the globs of epoxy are too big and the screen doesn't fit back on. Feel like an idiot.

Buy some chemical shit from China that is supposed to remove epoxy. Does nothing other than stink up my apartment and melt the rubbery cover on the lid completely destroying it. Had to trash the lid. Feel like a bigger idiot.

End up buying new lid. Same problem, little pins holding the top are broken. Fuck. Buy some putty type epoxy, shape it making sure there is enough room to allow the screen back on. Epoxy cures, put everything back together. Lid is now rock solid.

Lessons learned.

• Informative
Reactions: TaimuRadiu

XYZpdq

fbi most wanted sskealeaton
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
when I got my "refurbished" laptop the system registry was still filled with tons of random leftover shit, looks like they just put a new user on the computer and nuked the old one or something
I had already planned on installing Windows from scratch but it was still like "dang brah, was it that fucking hard to at least use the system restore disc to do a fresh install with all the pack-in bullshit"

Aberforth

Straight A student in special ed.
kiwifarms.net
For the video in the OP, Louis Rossman did a reaction video to it and chose a good coomer thumbnail for the glue gun enthusiast.

Rossman have a lot of videos featuring bad repairs on things being brought into his shop.
He's done rants about the oven method, too.

Pretty sure throwing a GPU into the oven is supposed to be a last resort, not the first option. He had a collab with Linus after this.

Here he is whistling the Sailor Moon theme(yes, really) before cleaning up after some idiot's gpu modding screw up.

There should be a thread about botched hardware mods. So many people go into this stuff without researching beyond one video.

Kiwi Lime Pie

Tasteful in any season. 🥝🥧🐈
kiwifarms.net
Would a story about a repair/support technician that gave bad advice count here? If so, i have a story.

I had an old HP PC that had an open memory slot, so I decided to order the upgrade kit that would max out the PC's memory. The shipment comes and it's not what I ordered. The specs are slightly off. I called HP's support and told the technician about the situation. After asking me what memory I had and what I had ordered, he assured me it would work. He told me to go ahead and install it and to let him know how it worked.

I installed the memory, plugged in the cables and powered up. I got a very loud buzzing noise and the smell of smoke. I couldn't get the PC unplugged fast enough. Checking inside confirmed my suspicions: my motherboard got fried :mad:. I'm not sure if I cussed the guy out, but I know I wanted to. I did ask him if he was going to do anything because his bad advice ruined my PC and left me with useless memory sticks I'd likely be unable to return for a refund. Of course, he had no answer.

On the plus side, a relative had recently bought a new computer and still had the old one. Upon hearing what happened to me, I was offered the old PC to keep if my hard drive fit in the bay and worked. Fortunately, it did.

Still, the incident soured me to the point I avoid HP PCs now unless I have no choice.

• Feels
Reactions: Mr. 0

L50LasPak

Life on the outside ain't what it used to be.
kiwifarms.net
In my college days I had a computer suffer some kind of virus infection that made it run very slowly. Now, I had not discovered the secret of System Restore yet, and didn't want to do a factory reset, so in my stupidity I took it to where I purchased it to see if they could do anything. Two days later I hear back that, and I quote them directly: "The motherboard is fried. Sorry."

This never added up to me, because while it was in my hands I could turn it on, it'd boot up, I could log in and the only problem was any attempt to move the mouse or perform a button prompt took like a full minute to respond. I bet those fucking idiots opened it up without ESD protection and fried my motherboard. Possibly on purpose, figuring I'd spend the cash on another computer there. Needless to say, I purchased my next computer elsewhere.

Kiwi Lime Pie

Tasteful in any season. 🥝🥧🐈
kiwifarms.net
How the fuck can RAM do that? It either fits or it doesn't, and if you forced it to fit then that's on you.
Was that maybe one of these L2 Cache modules? There indeed there were electrically different ones and there were some proprietary ones floating around.
That might have been the issue because the memory sticks were the right size, and I made it a point to get the memory directly from HP and not from one of those cheap knockoff sites.

In my college days I had a computer suffer some kind of virus infection that made it run very slowly. Now, I had not discovered the secret of System Restore yet, and didn't want to do a factory reset, so in my stupidity I took it to where I purchased it to see if they could do anything. Two days later I hear back that, and I quote them directly: "The motherboard is fried. Sorry."

This never added up to me, because while it was in my hands I could turn it on, it'd boot up, I could log in and the only problem was any attempt to move the mouse or perform a button prompt took like a full minute to respond. I bet those fucking idiots opened it up without ESD protection and fried my motherboard.
Sadly, there are plenty of repair outfits that are run by people that are shady, incompetent, or a bit of both. It wouldn't surprise me if they failed to use ESP protection, messed something else up and didn't want to admit it, or even said that just to upsell you into getting a new computer from them.

One of my favourites. I hope it's a repair, and not the original installation.

the-worst-house-repair-jobs-2-4.jpg
Growing up, my neighbors rented their house from a deadbeat landlord. Even though he was a plumber and had adult kids in various home repair fields, they put no effort into maintaining the rental property and expected the tenants to take care of it out of their own pockets.

The biggest example of this came when my neighbors had plumbing issues involving the bathtub and nothing they tried to do resolved the issue. Eventually, a plumber figured out what was going on: part of the pipe going from the tub to the drain had been taken out and the gap was spanned with a garden hose. The fact that the landlord was a plumber and thought this was a good idea to do before renting the property out was :story:.

Last edited:

Dingo

kiwifarms.net
Would a story about a repair/support technician that gave bad advice count here? If so, i have a story.

I had an old HP PC that had an open memory slot, so I decided to order the upgrade kit that would max out the PC's memory. The shipment comes and it's not what I ordered. The specs are slightly off. I called HP's support and told the technician about the situation. After asking me what memory I had and what I had ordered, he assured me it would work. He told me to go ahead and install it and to let him know how it worked.

I installed the memory, plugged in the cables and powered up. I got a very loud buzzing noise and the smell of smoke. I couldn't get the PC unplugged fast enough. Checking inside confirmed my suspicions: my motherboard got fried :mad:. I'm not sure if I cussed the guy out, but I know I wanted to. I did ask him if he was going to do anything because his bad advice ruined my PC and left me with useless memory sticks I'd likely be unable to return for a refund. Of course, he had no answer.

On the plus side, a relative had recently bought a new computer and still had the old one. Upon hearing what happened to me, I was offered the old PC to keep if my hard drive fit in the bay and worked. Fortunately, it did.

Still, the incident soured me to the point I avoid HP PCs now unless I have no choice.
I would guess your RAM upgrade calamity could have been caused by using "PC3L" instead of "PC3" RAM, PC3L is low-voltage 1.35V and PC3 is regular 1.5V.

HP and DELL provide service manuals for their PC products and they can be downloaded for free, great when upgrading or changing BIOS settings.

• Informative
Reactions: Kiwi Lime Pie
Tags
None