Mortal Kombat (2021) -

Solid Snek

kiwifarms.net
I cant think of a bigger MK jobber than Kobra. Maybe Reiko.
Nah, Kobra's the biggest. I actually really liked Kobra because of his moveset, but the MK team specifically designed him to be a jobber and a pisstake against Street Fighter.

There's been a ton of joke characters and characters that the fandom tends to hate, like Stryker, Nightwolf, Mocap, Zebron, Shujinko, and even Cage until surprisingly recently. But Kobra was the one guy designed from the ground-up to be a jobber, and nothing else.

This is why I roll my eyes at MKXs story mode (and maybe 11? I don't remember that one s story).

You got this hokey "it's a story about family!" bullshit only for Johnny to rip his daughters head off in gameplay.
Yeah, I didn't even bother with the Story Modes, and this is one of the reasons! My friends were all surprised too, since I'm probably the biggest MK fan of our peer group, but while they all bought the game and played through the story, I didn't touch it

I love MK and all, but I think it was better when the story was just "a bunch of kung fu dudes go to a Bruce Lee island and kill each other for some reason".

MK's basic storyline, up until at least 4, was always stronger and more interesting than the average fighting game franchise, and that was fine. It was a nice selling point and a good way to win arguments against Street Fighter nerds. But there's a limit to the amount of plot that can forced into a fighting game. The more MK gets saddled with plot, and the more that plot insists on itself, the harder the it is to enjoy the actual game.

The Valeyard

kiwifarms.net
Nah, Kobra's the biggest. I actually really liked Kobra because of his moveset, but the MK team specifically designed him to be a jobber and a pisstake against Street Fighter.
And his name probably comes from the Cobra Kai dojo in The Karate Kid.

There's been a ton of joke characters and characters that the fandom tends to hate, like Stryker, Nightwolf, Mocap, Zebron, Shujinko, and even Cage until surprisingly recently. But Kobra was the one guy designed from the ground-up to be a jobber, and nothing else.
I don't get the hate for Mokap as he was only ever meant as a tribute to Carlos Pesina who did a lot of the motion capture for the fighting styles in Deadly Alliance, and was Raiden in the 2D era.

FencePost

kiwifarms.net
The main reason I'm okay with Cole is that he's not a mary sue; He spends maybe thirty minutes of the movie not developing a concussion or internal trauma, even with his plot armor. His growth stems exclusively from witnessing his family being in danger but the growth isn't enough to keep him from still getting roughed up pretty good.
The main complaint I have about him though is that he doesn't really seem connected to Scorpion/Hanzo. It just seems like it was tacked onto him and not given any more attention, which it probably was.
Or when it's a change that simply makes something less interesting, like removing the science fiction aspect from Mortal Kombat.
Sonya spent most of movie being capable of kicking everyone's ass, as far as I can remember; I feel like if the franchise lives long enough to build things up, we'll start seeing non-powered characters keeping up with the rest.

Crazedking

kiwifarms.net
The main reason I'm okay with Cole is that he's not a mary sue; He spends maybe thirty minutes of the movie not developing a concussion or internal trauma, even with his plot armor. His growth stems exclusively from witnessing his family being in danger but the growth isn't enough to keep him from still getting roughed up pretty good.
The main complaint I have about him though is that he doesn't really seem connected to Scorpion/Hanzo. It just seems like it was tacked onto him and not given any more attention, which it probably was.

Sonya spent most of movie being capable of kicking everyone's ass, as far as I can remember; I feel like if the franchise lives long enough to build things up, we'll start seeing non-powered characters keeping up with the rest.
i mean the later games have non-powered people coming in with fucking shotgunfist and techno-mines being tossed around the stage. Dunno why they just went with the Arkana stuff to give power to Jax/Sonya. Its actually one of the funniest thing for me about MK seeing some specop military girl just pull out a weapon and kill the kungfu magic people. Or Jax just having huge fucking power fist. Johnny being the funniest as he was originally just some fucking martial art movie star based off Jean claude vandam who kicked people shit really hard (until he became a chosen one and developped some magic of his own).

Anyway i recently got to watch the movie and heres my take on it.

Overall, its a great movie if you come in with the right expectation. Its a fucking Mortal kombat movie for christ sake so i just went in expecting cheesy dialogue, some good fights and okay special effects and thats what i got.

Storywise - I dont really care like most people that the story wasnt "the tournament" Most of the video games story are about skipping the tournament to begin with. I understand they are leading into a trilogy so i kinda see where they are going there. The dragon mark story hook was also dumb but its also mortal kombat so i really dont care about the story and what they had was workable.

Fights - Overall, the fights were all pretty good. Some were pretty outstanding i must say. The choreagraphy is good and the special effects were good for their budget.

Gore - They obviously had to do a couple of fatalities and they got most pretty well.

Cheesiness - Lots of cheesy dialogue and video game joke. Kano and Kun lao pretty much carried the entire movie in that department. They nailed the video game goofiness in my opinion.

Alright last but not least.

Characters - The quality in term of acting/story for a lot of characters is very wide. Some were really fucking amazing (Scorpion/subzero). Kano, Kun lao were also my other favorites holding up the movie. Some did an okay job (Sonya, Liu kang, jax, mileena, kabal). We had a couple of outworld jobbers that did their job and then the we have the bad ones.
Raiden/Shang tsung were terrible. Seeing 2 old asian man barely able to act and attempt to speak english was pretty grating. The guy playing shang tsung cant ever compare to cary-hiroyuki tagawa. And for the black sheep of the movie. Cole young. I understand what they were trying to do but like most people here ithink the actor cant act for shit and the story to introduce a new character was unnecesary and the character itself is fucknig bland as fuck. His tie-in to scorpion also seems like a wasted effort to make us care about this terrible character. Hoh and Goro got fucking "worfed" for Cole. Fuck that, Goro deserve better.

Commander X

kiwifarms.net
Not liking MK overall, it suffers from too typical modern action film editing, too many close-ups and sudden cuts, any potentially interesting moments or grisly kills being undercut by it. Like the scene where our characters are facing off against a credible looking reptile creature, and it's shot at first in a competent way and then the fighting starts and the quick cuts begin and suddenly were' watching it in "Confuse-o-vision".

A waste of perfectly good performers like Talsim and Hiroyuki Sanada, whose presence in the trailers gave me some faint hope, what with his wielding ninja weapons and stabbing fools - he's no stranger to ninja shit what with his first big role in "Shogun's Ninja"
SN1.jpg

and the HK production Ninja in the Dragon's Den, where he co-starred with budding HK film star Conan Lee. After some misunderstandings, they team up against an evil wizard and his goons

Ezw2HVMWYAcyCiA.jpg
NinjaDragonsDen10.jpg

and 1982's "Ninja Wars" which was a batshit film with fantasy and horror elements, including the "devil monks" who have abilities like one who can vomit acid at opponents, that as confusing at it gets at times was still more worthy of a watch than this.

Last edited:

Product Placement

kiwifarms.net
What the hell was with the editing during the fights, some times characters just teleport all over the place, no sense of flow, time, place or rhythm in any of the fights due to the awful edits which reminds me of a youtube jump cuts more than anything else.. Unsure if shit editor or they didn't have the footage they need to work with. I mean the choreography for the fighting is fine, but the editing of the movie just is shockingly bad.

Ahriman

Vivere Militare Est.
kiwifarms.net
So, against my judgement and considering how much of an MK fanboy I used to be back in the '90s, I watched it.
Mortal Kombat is about different-coloured ninjas punching each other's heads off. It's always been ultraviolent kids' entertainment.

Imagine you're a 12 year old boy, then imagine what you would want to see in a kung fu movie. That's Mortal Kombat. If someone doesn't understand why gratuitous violence and lighthearted plots might go together, then it isn't made for them.
This is a key factor; you're not supposed to take the MK franchise too seriously.

Having said that, it was fairly enjoyable. I still find amusing how every single Kano version now must have an Aussie accent, just because the '95 movie featured an Aussie actor. Now it became canon for Kano to sound like a bogan... never been quite a fan of that, but it works within the confines of the MK universe anyways, so it gets a pass.

I was hoping for Cole to morph into Scorpion 2.0 but his arkana is (plot) armor and bladed nightsticks. Then this great-great-great-great-great-grandpa shows up, the (Deus Ex) OG Scorpion to show him how it's done. Nice family moment there.

Props to the Sub-Zero guy, I enjoyed him being portrayed as a frost-bitten force of nature, similar to Raiden but with ice. The chick playing Mileena was "very okay", considering that I didn't like the race-swapping. So I guess I didn't mind it as much.

The action and the handful of fatalities we've seen were nicely done but I think that they could have taken that further. Like a poster said, MK ought to be a bloodier, nastier version of Van Damme's "Bloodsport". It misses that mark for sure, because it's more of an action movie with very little horror sprinkled on top of it, instead of the other way around. In my perfect world, that would be my ideal MK movie, a straight-up horror movie dressed as a fighting/action movie.

All in all, 4/5 stars for me.

Last edited:

Solid Snek

kiwifarms.net
I was hoping for Cole to morph into Scorpion 2.0 but his arkana is (plot) armor and bladed nightsticks. Then this great-great-great-great-great-grandpa shows up, the (Deus Ex) OG Scorpion to show him how it's done. Nice family moment there.
So Cole is like a replacement Takeda, then?

Like a poster said, MK ought to be a bloodier, nastier version of Van Damme's "Bloodsport".
I would love to see this, yes. Especially if they could get Van Damme himself in it (finally); either as a new character, or, if they do a film about Soy-Era MK, as Old Man Johnny Cage.

Solid Snek

kiwifarms.net
Goes to show how disconnected I am from the MK franchise these days; I had to look him up.

View attachment 2136545

If he's supposed to be connected to Scorpion's clan, then yes.
Yeah, he's one of the "new generation" of warriors in the Current Timeline universe. The only one of those characters that people actually care about is Johnny's daughter, Cassie, but in theory, Takeda's meant to be a new protagonist for the series.

He's Kenshi's estranged biological son, but he's raised and trained by Scorpion, and becomes the star student of the rebuilt Shirai Ryu clan. Basically the replacement Scorpion, with maybe a little bit of Lui Kang thrown in (there's also an LGBT Kung Lao and a girl Jax now, too).

That Chris Guy

kiwifarms.net
Having said that, it was fairly enjoyable. I still find amusing how every single Kano version now must have an Aussie accent, just because the '95 movie featured an Aussie actor. Now it became canon for Kano to sound like a bogan... never been quite a fan of that, but it works within the confines of the MK universe anyways, so it gets a pass.
Correction: He was an English actor who tried to do a Cockney accent, but did it so badly that everyone thought he was Australian.

Little bias on my side, but Kano is the only Aussie fighting game character that has received any consistent love, and it's funny that it was unintentionally created.

Saw the movie myself. It was serviceable enough to watch. The "arkana/dragon mark" plot point was dumb, but explains why you're fighting with a handful of people and not armies in the setting. It would have worked better if they'd clearly defined the Elder Gods as fearsome entities.

I was amused by the fact that Scorpion was painted as the hero while Sub-Zero was the villain; it's almost always the opposite in the games, so this variation was appreciated as a Scorpion fan (even though he spends 90% of the film not being there). Wish they had used Sanada a lot more than they did, and no Quan Chi felt pretty jarring.

Cole as a character was okay in that he had some trials and tribulations (even if I didn't like his fighting form). The difficult thing now is if they manage to make a sequel, they have to include him in some capacity even though he has the least amount of reason to be there. It begs the question of why they didn't just forego the "Scorpion's blood" prophecy and stick the role of main protagonist on any of the easily recognisable heroes of MK lore, as they could certainly be in any sequel without as much need for justification.

Probably unpopular opinion, but I enjoyed MK9 and MKX's stories for the most part (haven't played 11). Can't say that carries over to the gradual censorship and other rubbish that has slowly wormed its way into the franchise, but it felt much better than the direction Street Fighter has taken over the years.

Morethanabitfoolish

kiwifarms.net
Finally got around to this. Overall take is it was okay.

Biggest issue I had which I think hasn't come up so far is that both Raiden and Shang Tsung are so fucking bland. Say what you will about the roles in pretty much any iteration including the goddamn cartoon those characters were usually memorable. This film both were just barely not walking plot devices devoid of all personality.

It's a soul eating wizard and a god of thunder. Embrace the B-Movie bullshit and have fun!