Mortal Kombat (2021) -

Dang Woodchucks!

Ancient Geek Philosopher
kiwifarms.net
I'm at least convinced that the stuntwork (which in an IP centered around fighting is more important that some other stuff) will be pretty great. Scorpion's actor is Hiroyuki Sanada (The Last Samurai, Rush Hour 3, 47 Ronin) and Shang Tsung is Chin Han (Marco Polo; look into the fight between Hundred Eyes and Jia Sidao at the end of Season 1 to know what you can look forward to.)

While the special effects and suit make him hard to distinguish, Sub Zero is Joe Taslim AKA Sgt. Jaka from the Raid and the main character from "The Night Comes for Us". Ludi Lin is one of the few I'm not familiar with, but what I see in the trailer is good enough to give it a chance.

EDIT: Found a better one, i forgot Sidao had the three way fight scene, where he slightly shows off more.

Last edited:

RumblyTumbly

kiwifarms.net
Comparing it to the trailer of the first movie, its GREAT that we are finally getting a Rated R/Gorefest Mortal Kombat movie, something that really held back the first movie.

However, I'd be lying if I said this trailer wasn't kind of dull compared to the amazing trailer to the original film. Part of that is the original's use of the Mortal Kombat theme, and part of it is also that exchange "You can't run from me Shang!" "I don't need to run!", an exchange so bad ass, I'm stunned it didn't make it into the film itself. That trailer got me pumped back then.

So hopefully this new film is a better representation of MK by being action packed and violent as hell, but its weird that the trailer to the tamer old film actually gets me more pumped up.

GeorgeFloyd

The greatest black man who ever lived
kiwifarms.net
I hate trailers with "epic" music. Makes it just seem boring and generic. Not to mention the only colors we see are dark blue and orange. Boring. Compare this trailer to the original Mortal Kombat trailer.
Which just got me hyped up even though the movie kinda sucked. But that trailer hits all the notes. Imagine the reactions it got from people in the theater or kids seeing it on a vhs tape before the movie starts.

Also in the 2021 version scorpion completely botched the "get over here" even though they did it right in the MK Rebirth trailer which is also miles above the new trailer. They just used a sound clip from one of the games because they know it's pleasing to the audience as apposed to an asian man's gibberish.

The Valeyard

kiwifarms.net
Why Johnny Cage Isn't In The New Mortal Kombat Movie (Archive)

There are a few possible reasons Johnny Cage isn't in the Mortal Kombat movie, each of which likely played a role in the decision to exclude him. For starters, the new Mortal Kombat stars Lewis Tan as Cole Young, a brand-new character who will serve as the film’s main protagonist. Cole fills the same outsider/audience surrogate role that Cage filled in the original movie, and it’s likely the writers opted to remove him from the ensemble so as to put more narrative focus on the rest of the cast. Mortal Kombat has lots of beloved characters, but they unfortunately can’t all fit in a theatrical-length film.

Cole Young's creation as a new lead hero also points to the reboot’s emphasis on actors and characters of Asian descent. The modern optics of a Caucasian man playing the lead role in a story about martial arts aren’t great, and Cage’s absence is an excellent opportunity to center Cole’s character and other non-Caucasian fighters like Scorpion, Sub-Zero, Jax, Raiden, and Liu Kang.

X Pac Heat

Games Shouldn't Be Art
kiwifarms.net
You don't need to have a lot of character development for Cage. He was a comic relief character until the soft reboot, and even as a "main protagonist" in the newer MK's he was still a fucking goof.

The fact they didn't even throw him in to just be the first "hero" to get killed off really says a lot.