Most autistic thing you've purchased lately - c'mon feel the cringe

Smaug's Smokey Hole

dragron: the bruges tea soirée
kiwifarms.net
Ah yes, I bought a PVR Kyro 1 and a Matrox Dualhead. The matrox produces the cleanest vga output I've ever seen even when outputting to two screens.
Matrox was king of the RAMDACs and they didn't compromise on picture quality, they always made great cards for professionals. It's such a bizarre thing to think of today. Even when buying a TNT/2/GeForce the picky user would have to consider what different board vendors used to output the image. Some cheap cards were really, really bad in that regard, but they spit out crummy pictures at a high framerate for a low price. Changing resolutions/refresh rate would also see some cards take a noticeable dip in image quality.

Was the Matrox card a G400 by any chance? That was a great but frustrating card because of the drivers, they never got OpenGL to work correctly. They also sold the VGA dualhead dongle/thingie that split the image from one output to two displays and fooling Windows/the graphics card into thinking it was just one very wide screen.

Well, I could sperg about old videocards for pages but I'll refrain. What are you going to do with them?

• Agree
Reactions: FierceBrosnan

Trilby

Hello faggot lovers!
kiwifarms.net
They can still be around later though.

Unless Martians made them disappear...
I remember when they first came out. They were in those larger editions that sold for like $20 each or whatever they had it at at the time, but certainly lesser pages than what they're going with this time around. Also someone I know pointed out they've redid the translations as well.

Smaug's Smokey Hole

kiwifarms.net
The Seven Deadly Sins game for the PS4. It can’t get more weebish than that.
They ported that piece of shit from the PS2? Why? But I was thinking of another seven deadly sins game.

In my defence, it's got a sick fucking orc on it!
It could be much worse, some other brands offer "high performance and professional quality" for 20+ bucks. And professional fingerboarding is a thing. Which is...kind of embarrassing.
It's not all bad, you would be surprised by the people who were into it.

Billy_Sama

♂Love and Muscle in Heaven♂
kiwifarms.net
I might spend $1500 on a vintage guitar with original case and accessory bag. I might sell a guitar to cover third of it and I don't really need it but this guitar been eluding me for awhile.

MrTickles

Ducking Fegenerate
kiwifarms.net
Matrox was king of the RAMDACs and they didn't compromise on picture quality, they always made great cards for professionals. It's such a bizarre thing to think of today. Even when buying a TNT/2/GeForce the picky user would have to consider what different board vendors used to output the image. Some cheap cards were really, really bad in that regard, but they spit out crummy pictures at a high framerate for a low price. Changing resolutions/refresh rate would also see some cards take a noticeable dip in image quality.

Was the Matrox card a G400 by any chance? That was a great but frustrating card because of the drivers, they never got OpenGL to work correctly. They also sold the VGA dualhead dongle/thingie that split the image from one output to two displays and fooling Windows/the graphics card into thinking it was just one very wide screen.

Well, I could sperg about old videocards for pages but I'll refrain. What are you going to do with them?
Yeah a G400. Had it running alongside a win 98 machine. Didn't really bother with games so driver compatibility issues never came up. I've since sold a few of these, matrox included.

I have fond memories of the TNT2 pro 32 mb in particular. That paired with an Athlon K7 850mhz kept me happy back in the day...until Morrowind launched. Had to grab a Geforce 3 for that sweet pixel shaded water.

Smaug's Smokey Hole

kiwifarms.net
Yeah a G400. Had it running alongside a win 98 machine. Didn't really bother with games so driver compatibility issues never came up. I've since sold a few of these, matrox included.

I have fond memories of the TNT2 pro 32 mb in particular. That paired with an Athlon K7 850mhz kept me happy back in the day...until Morrowind launched. Had to grab a Geforce 3 for that sweet pixel shaded water.
I'm now curious how a Kyro 1/2 would run Morrowind in particularly, that game renders back-to-front resulting in massive overdraw - that's why you might look at a wall/bullentin board in a city with chunkey FPS, it is the only thing you can see but it is not the only thing that is rendered.

The Matrox G400 also had a feature that very few bothered with except for the GameCube that I think had a hardware implementation of it.
It was called Environment Mapped Bump Mapping, a step up from plain Dot3 bump mapping(few if anyone used that as well).
This was still fixed-function hardware(remember ATi's chunky-models?), so it was long before the first pixel/vertex shader and weird in general.
Old:

Matrox. Yeah it clashes like shit with the rest of the graphics but it looks cool in images, like a huge lake of that thing they put on when performing ultrasounds.

• Agree
Reactions: MrTickles

MrTickles

Ducking Fegenerate
kiwifarms.net
I'm now curious how a Kyro 1/2 would run Morrowind in particularly, that game renders back-to-front resulting in massive overdraw - that's why you might look at a wall/bullentin board in a city with chunkey FPS, it is the only thing you can see but it is not the only thing that is rendered.

The Matrox G400 also had a feature that very few bothered with except for the GameCube that I think had a hardware implementation of it.
It was called Environment Mapped Bump Mapping, a step up from plain Dot3 bump mapping(few if anyone used that as well).
This was still fixed-function hardware(remember ATi's chunky-models?), so it was long before the first pixel/vertex shader and weird in general.
Old:
View attachment 786039

Matrox. Yeah it clashes like shit with the rest of the graphics but it looks cool in images, like a huge lake of that thing they put on when performing ultrasounds.
View attachment 786040
Morrowind with this card? Ouch. That game was cpu heavy, but it struggled on Geforce 4 cards. Ran like poop on my tnt2 pro, we're talking 640x480 lowest with view distance set to nothing. Looked like the xbox version and that thing had a geforce 3Ti so credit to the tnt2.

Morrowind would have run very poorly on a Kyro.

Smaug's Smokey Hole

kiwifarms.net
Morrowind with this card? Ouch. That game was cpu heavy, but it struggled on Geforce 4 cards. Ran like poop on my tnt2 pro, we're talking 640x480 lowest with view distance set to nothing. Looked like the xbox version and that thing had a geforce 3Ti so credit to the tnt2.

Morrowind would have run very poorly on a Kyro.
Morrowind is a performance disaster and a lot of it comes down to how they are rendering their scenes. It is with overdraw that PowerVR suddenly gets really powerful and in games with heavy overdraw it outperforms a GF2 GTS and Morrowind is the uncrowned 2002 Unnecessary OverDraw Champion. That's why I'm curious, it could do really well.

I know they weren't taking stabs at Bethesda in their marketing/demo material but the performance scenarios they presented made me think of Morrowind.

MrTickles

Ducking Fegenerate
kiwifarms.net
Morrowind is a performance disaster and a lot of it comes down to how they are rendering their scenes. It is with overdraw that PowerVR suddenly gets really powerful and in games with heavy overdraw it outperforms a GF2 GTS and Morrowind is the uncrowned 2002 Unnecessary OverDraw Champion. That's why I'm curious, it could do really well.

I know they weren't taking stabs at Bethesda in their marketing/demo material but the performance scenarios they presented made me think of Morrowind.
I've done some digging.

Morrowind comparisons, see fps bottom right corner.

Morrowind with Kyro 2:

Geforce 3:

Kyro 2:

Geforce 3:

For Kyro II We're seeing about 50% of the Geforce 3 performance in Morrowind, plus the graphics are broken, see water plane. I know the Kyro 2 could be faster than gf3 due to being much more efficient, but not in this game. Driver support was generally rat shit.

Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1DgS5RfHw7xA82Yxa5BtgZL65ngwSk6bmm
ETH: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
LTC: LSZsFCLUreXAZ9oyc9JRUiRwbhkLCsFi4q
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino