Most autistic thing you've purchased lately - c'mon feel the cringe

DrJonesHat

All-around bad person
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I just got my Kickstarted-editions of Eclipse Phase 2nd Ed, and Carbon 2185. Also the Jumpstart Edition of Cyberpunk Red, the sequel to Cyberpunk 2020.

The Dude

Bro, don't even bro, bro.
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
So, I've got a few hobbies. Firearms is probably my biggest hobby, but I also enjoy high end radio controlled cars and model railroading.

Model railroads have been an interest of mine since I was a kid. My old man had an American Flyer train set that we would put up in the carport of our old house sometimes, and for Christmas one year I got a Lionel G Gauge train set. I still have both of them in storage.

But I always wanted to get into O Gauge trains because they're big and highly detailed, but they're still small enough that you can put them up in the house. I got a promotion recently, and so I decided it was finally time to dip my toes into the O Gauge waters. Lionel offered one of my favorite steam locomotives, the Union Pacific Challenger, as part of their Vision Line in their 2018 Vol.2 catalog. The Lionel Vision Line is Lionel's top of the line product line and they usually only offer one Vision Line locomotive every 12-18mos or so, and they always offer the most detail and features Lionel can put in a model. For instance, when Lionel offered a Vision Line Union Pacific Big Boy steam locomotive, it had a coal load in the tender that would actually get smaller as the train ran.

The Challenger was the second largest steam locomotive that Union Pacific had, the biggest being the Big Boy. In fact Union Pacific still have a Challenger and a Big Boy as part of their Heritage Fleet, and they are currently the largest steam locomotives still operating in the world. The thing I love about the Challenger is that Union Pacific used it for both freight and passenger service, whereas the Big Boy was only ever used to pull freight cars. The model I ordered is modeled on UP #3976, which is currently on static display in North Platte, NE, is one of only two Challengers that are still in existence. The other, UP #3985, is part of Union Pacific's Heritage Fleet and is being completely rebuilt. #3976 is painted in Union Pacific's Greyhound livery and has smoke deflector panels at the front of the boiler because it was used for both passenger and freight service. The Greyhound livery was used on UP's passenger cars before they went with the yellow and grey scheme they use to this day on their excursion trains. Also, fun fact, UP #3976's route went right through the town that my biological father grew up in (though it was retired from service before he was born).

So, yeah, pretty autistic, but I should be getting my locomotive sometime in the next week or so. Lionel has gone to a pre-order only service, so I had to pre-order mine back around Black Friday and wait for it to be built and shipped to the dealer I ordered mine through. The dealer just got them in last week, but he's out of town and won't be able to ship mine out until Wednesday. Here's what mine will look like.

6-11211_4376.jpg

TiggerNits

Yankee vampire living off the blood of the poor
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
They make day hikes a lot of fun.
Dude. No. Just no.

I had to be paid, and low-key threatened with the fact that I could be prosecuted and possibly shot just to be made to eat those fucking things. MREs are gross and no one should eat them without getting the GI Bill for their effort. Just buy some trail mix or make a PBJ you animals

Recoil

Tactical Autism Response Division
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Dude. No. Just no.

I had to be paid, and low-key threatened with the fact that I could be prosecuted and possibly shot just to be made to eat those fucking things. MREs are gross and no one should eat them without getting the GI Bill for their effort. Just buy some trail mix or make a PBJ you animals
I imagine it's a lot different when you aren't just snacking in a forest on your own free time, but what do I know.
I guess I'll be learning how much they suck the hard way.
Thanks for your service, btw.

• Dumb
Reactions: RapeMan

TiggerNits

Yankee vampire living off the blood of the poor
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I imagine it's a lot different when you aren't just snacking in a forest on your own free time, but what do I know.
I guess I'll be learning how much they suck the hard way.
Thanks for your service, btw.
To be fair, I've heard they've gotten better in the near 20 years its been since I've had to eat one.

Recoil

Tactical Autism Response Division
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
You eat all of that, you'll need one of these:
899837[/ATTACH]l"]

I haven't had to use mine yet.
Well, I'm gonna find out this weekend.
From what I've read, serious advances have been made in the way these things are put together. I've got some from 2016-17 and I'm torn between my old man's C ration horror stories/the words of @TiggerNits and what I've heard from articles and other outdoorfags, who've told me they've improved big time.

Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1DgS5RfHw7xA82Yxa5BtgZL65ngwSk6bmm
ETH: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
LTC: LSZsFCLUreXAZ9oyc9JRUiRwbhkLCsFi4q
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino