Most Obvious Ripoff Bands -

TrannyJanny

kiwifarms.net
By this I mean bands that sound so similar to another artist that it is uncanny. Good example would be Niil (A Brazilian Band) and how the lead singer sounds nearly identical to Nirvana front man Kurt Cobain. So then people, what examples you guys got?

EmpireOfTheClouds

They climbed aboard their silver ghost
kiwifarms.net
Greta Van Fleet are trying so hard to be Led Zeppelin that I swear it's part of some occult plot to steal Robert Plant's soul.
Yes. The band keeps telling us that it's time to "move on past the Zep comparisons" but bro, as long as you keep making music that sounds like Led Zep, you'll keep getting compared to them .

The only song of theirs I like is When the Curtain Falls, because it's the only song of theirs I've heard actually try to sound any kind of modern.

Joey Caruso

The Coathanger In Your Man's Vagina
kiwifarms.net
Greta Van Fleet are trying so hard to be Led Zeppelin that I swear it's part of some occult plot to steal Robert Plant's soul.
Personally when I listen to these guys I'm more reminded of the many, many "Zepp-alikes" who came out a few years after the real Led Zeppelin got big. For example:
Greta Van Fleet can play their instruments pretty good, pity they kinda squander those abilities by remaining in Zep's shadow this whole time. If they put out something that sounds like they're really trying to make something new, I'd probably listen to it.

Senior Lexmechanic

Now Senior Lexmaniac
kiwifarms.net
damn that shit put me to greta van sleep
Yes. The band keeps telling us that it's time to "move on past the Zep comparisons" but bro, as long as you keep making music that sounds like Led Zep, you'll keep getting compared to them .

The only song of theirs I like is When the Curtain Falls, because it's the only song of theirs I've heard actually try to sound any kind of modern.
Personally when I listen to these guys I'm more reminded of the many, many "Zepp-alikes" who came out a few years after the real Led Zeppelin got big. For example:
Greta Van Fleet can play their instruments pretty good, pity they kinda squander those abilities by remaining in Zep's shadow this whole time. If they put out something that sounds like they're really trying to make something new, I'd probably listen to it.
Here's the thing: if you legit stripped the GVF labeling from one of their albums and handed it over to a boomer claiming it's a compilation of Zepp basement tapes/cutting-room-floor demos, they probably couldn't call the difference. It's almost eerie.

Kiwi Farms Lurker

Unpersoned by Ridley Scott
kiwifarms.net
Phil Collins is a poor mans Peter Gabriel, change my mind.
Before they took off Megadeth was basically Metallica with a worse singer and far superior drummers and lead guitarists. Can't listen to their older stuff because of it, just sounds weird.
And that Mustaine co-wrote most of Kill 'Em All and Ride The Lightning, just sayin'.

No Exit

Bronze Medal Racist
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
And that Mustaine co-wrote most of Kill 'Em All and Ride The Lightning, just sayin'.
I know, doesn't change the fact that a band not named Metallica sounded just like Metallica.

Airborne tried to be the new AC/DC. Haven't heard from them since they released this song though.

RichardMongler

Causing much mayhem, dropping drama
kiwifarms.net
Several Christian Metal bands are nigh carbon copies of their secular counterparts. Not saying it's a bad thing. In fact, I personally enjoy listening to knock-off bands; sort of like trying off brand cola.

Barren Cross's Mike Lee seems to have dedicated his career doing everything in his power to channel Bruce Dickinson:

Likewise, Saint loves Judas Priest. Just don't tell their pastor that:

My personal favorite Opprobrium (AKA Incubus) took cues from their fellow countrymen Sarcófago and Sepultura as well as the Teutonic Thrash scene:

And let's not forget Metalliclones lilke Tourniquet:

And, on another note, let's not forget the Yugoslav Rock scene which imitated bigger bands in the West. Vatreni Poljubac sounds like a deadringer for Scorpions:

Islamic Creampie

kiwifarms.net
I definitely wouldn't call Tourniquet Metallica clones. The vocalists were never anything like Hetfield and they've always been more adventurous in their song writing with all the weird neo-classical flourishes.

But speaking of Christian clone bands, Dark Night are as shameless as it gets.

Reactions: RichardMongler

RichardMongler

Causing much mayhem, dropping drama
kiwifarms.net
I definitely wouldn't call Tourniquet Metallica clones. The vocalists were never anything like Hetfield and they've always been more adventurous in their song writing with all the weird neo-classical flourishes.

But speaking of Christian clone bands, Dark Night are as shameless as it gets.
Was not aware there was a Christian Metal analogue to Mercyful Fate, although not terribly surprising. That band seems to be also taking cues from King Diamond's solo career.

Holden Caulfield

cancelled girlboss
kiwifarms.net
Here's a controversial one: Oingo Boingo is just a more successful Devo.
Eh, I would put them at the same level of popularity. Devo had Whip It and Oingo had Weird Science. Elfman and Mothersbaugh sound pretty different to me and Oingo favored more percussion compared to Devo. Someone like JG Thirwell in Foetus or later Snakefinger reminds me more of Oingo Boingo than Devo.

Tags
None