Movie & TV Show Recommendations -

Man vs persistent rat

A good egg is a nice person
kiwifarms.net
Some people hate it but The Orville started Season 2 yesterday. I find the show worth the bother of downloading myself but your tastes may differ.
Is "hate it" regarding the series in general, or the start of season 2? I've seen some people say good things about this series, but it's hard to trust anyone's standards with fantasy and sci-fi any more.

pwincess fwuffypants

always napping
kiwifarms.net
Is "hate it" regarding the series in general, or the start of season 2? I've seen some people say good things about this series, but it's hard to trust anyone's standards with fantasy and sci-fi any more.
Hate it in general. Something something, not Star Trek-y enough, something something hate Family Guy for reasons, etc. It's better than Star Trek at this point, IMHO. I like the start of S2 which I just finished watching, the main plot thread is basically a parody of Star Trek Vulcan and Klingon type rituals.

I'm going to go duck behind something for cover now for saying it's better than Star Trek.

frozenrunner

I could really use the salt
kiwifarms.net
I recently watched and was floored by You Were Never Really Here. If you appreciated Taxi Driver and are okay with dark, brutal films (though, surprisingly, the violence isn't the focus of the movie, which is really a deep character study), I cannot more highly recommend it (it's streaming through Amazon Prime). It was so great that anything Ramsay directs from now on I will watch.

The critics hate The Orville, but it has a huge fan following because it feels like classic Star Trek—specifically TNG—with fourth wall-breaking, low-brow jokes alongside genuinely solid scripts (all of which draw from classic Trek in some way while not feeling like total retreads... if you are a fan, you'll notice and likely be delighted by the influences).

I think the show has benefited from the "less than zero" expectations due to looking like a throwaway, dumb Trek parody. That has allowed viewers to be surprised by what it does well (which is a lot) instead of focusing on the flaws. The humor doesn't always work, especially in the pilot, and MacFarlane still hasn't gotten the message that he's not an effective leading man... but the show's weaknesses are mostly forgivable because 1) it's still a comedy and 2) because, despite that, it can be substantial when it wants to be.

And when I say the scripts are good, I mean a lot of the episodes could be TNG scripts with the humor removed. I'm not saying it's as good as Trek at its best because it certainly isn't, but it does have the same spirit, and it feels genuine in a way Discovery apparently doesn't. (I wouldn't know... I'm not watching that shit.) It's a good show that mostly works.

Last edited:

admiral

passionless bombast
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
The Witchfinder General, starring Vincent Price and Ian Ogilvy. There are three films which give me a real visceral reaction- Grave of the Fireflies, Rosemary's Baby and this. It's a wonderful example of sheer injustice and cruelty at the hands of man, with no supernatural elements or goofy cult stuff that you'd usually find in a late 60's/early 70's film. I meant it, I was tearing my hair out by the end of this film, it drove me insane it frustrated me so much waiting for the witchfinder to face justice. In retrospect, I realised how lacking so many other films are when it comes to mkign you, like, feel something. The violence isn't even that extreme in this film, but the events made me more sick to my stomach than any slasher or horror flick i've seen in the past few years,
9/10 would punch a wall and cry again.
I will say though that the fake blood is some of the worst i've ever seen, though. Shit looks like red poster paint.

frozenrunner

kiwifarms.net
The Witchfinder General, starring Vincent Price and Ian Ogilvy. There are three films which give me a real visceral reaction- Grave of the Fireflies, Rosemary's Baby and this. It's a wonderful example of sheer injustice and cruelty at the hands of man, with no supernatural elements or goofy cult stuff that you'd usually find in a late 60's/early 70's film. I meant it, I was tearing my hair out by the end of this film, it drove me insane it frustrated me so much waiting for the witchfinder to face justice. In retrospect, I realised how lacking so many other films are when it comes to mkign you, like, feel something. The violence isn't even that extreme in this film, but the events made me more sick to my stomach than any slasher or horror flick i've seen in the past few years,
9/10 would punch a wall and cry again.
You might appreciate the film Black Death. Underrated horror/thriller.

Reactions: admiral

Zaragoza

Love Saw It
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
America America (1963) by Elia Kazan, there was not one scene in this movie where the main actor in this film wasn't in, this movie was 3 hours long. A very wonderful adventure where this young Greek boy escapes Turkish oppression by journeying to Constantinople and working his way up from rags to riches all to immigrate to the US of A.

On the Waterfront (1954) Another movie by Elia Kazan. Marlon Brando like always killing it with his acting, this scene always makes me tear up.

Poiseon

I am literal poison.
kiwifarms.net
A really great movie is Cape Fear (1991), with Robert Di Nero, Nick Nolte, and Jessica Lange. The story is really engaging, draws you into it. Nick Nolte plays a defense lawyer living the American Dream. Wive, a kid, adog, everything going well. Until a man he previously defended, and fail to get aquitted, gets released from prison. He was in on rape charges. Max Cady, fresh out of jail, has a score to settle with the man who "Cost him fourteen years,"
220px-Cape_fear_91.jpg

I have to say that without a doubt my favorite part of this movie is Robert Di Nero. A charming, likable, ruthless individual fucking hellbent on revenge. This movie is on Netflix right now, and I just re-watched it for like the third time. (I have it on VHS somewhere, that's how long it's been since I last watched.)
Best way to sum up Di Nero's character? Max Cady is a scary motherfucker. Great film.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: frozenrunner

admiral

passionless bombast
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I just watched Upgrade starring Logan Marshall-Green and I gotta say I was pleasantly surprised. I was expecting an edgy cyber-punk shlock fest and while that is kinda exactly what I got, the cinematography and soundtrack were really atmospheric and I thought the performances were pretty great. It took on the whole 'what is a man?' think that sci-fi writers are wanking all over pretty well, and the cliches felt intentional.
The thing I liked most though was just the intense choreography and the way Logan Marshall-Green moved, not just in the fight scenes but in general. He pulled off that slightly uncanny smooth robotic movement pattern even when he was doing mundane actions like closing a door or picking something up. It was just obvious enough to make you feel disconcerted watching him walk around, without going overboard and having him putter about like C-3PO.
Only weak spot for me would be the wife character, but she's kinda background so it didn't bug me too much. There's also a kinda lame hacker character- I'm not sure if they were supposed to be ridiculous or not, bt their presance was kinda forced. Agiain, it's not an especially large part of the movie so whatever.

Commander X

kiwifarms.net
Revisting 1957 film noir entry The Sweet Smell of Success which was something of a flop at the time but has gained a rep since then. In an unmissable performance, we have Burt Lancaster playing J.J. Hunsecker, a newspaper columnist with considerable pull and influence on public opinion - a thinly disguised version of real life columnist Walter Winchell.

Tony Curtis, in another standout performance, plays hustling theater agent Sidney Falco, a toady of Hunsekcer's who is on the outs with him and desperate to get back into his graces since he has been relying on Hensecker's favorable notices for his clients. Hunsecker has tasked Falco with running off the jazz musician boyfriend of his younger sister Susie, of whom Hunsecker is provocatively protective, though it's less from any sort of affection and more because she's "his" and he is a control freak. He keeps referring to his sister as "dear" and another character notes how those "dears" sound sort of creepy.

Being a man with pull and connections, like a crooked cop played by Emile Meyer, Hunsecker is plotting to arrange for the boyfriend's arrest on a frame charge, getting busted with a jay and it doesn't help that her boyfriend told J.J. exactly what he thinks of him.

The performance as Falco is no small accomplishment by Curtis; Success' stylized dialogue is reminiscent of the rapid-fire exchanges and patter of classic screwball comedies, but here played very seriously with a sharp edge. Lines like the immortal "The cat's in the bag and the bag's in the river."

In comparison, as Hunsecker, Lancaster is rigid, constrained but his contemptuous delivery is harsh enough when unleashed on his targets.

The cinematography by the legendary James Wong Howe is worth a watch alone, capturing the glory of New York City at it's mid-Twentieth Century point.

Zaragoza

Love Saw It
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Old boy (2003) - Jesus Christ, what an overkill for a revenge lol.

World's Greatest Dad (2009) - Rip Robin Williams, the scenes with the perverted son were some funny shit.

Impact (1949) - Great story!

Man vs persistent rat

kiwifarms.net
Castle Freak (Stuart Gordon, 1995)

Weird combination of relationship melodrama and haunted house, but with a Martyrs-style monstrified human rather than anything supernatural. Good music, acting, effects, and atmosphere. Stretches the material a bit thin, but the monster costume is nice, even if it gets a bit silly towards the end. Not as creative as Dagon but still interesting.

Zaragoza

Love Saw It
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
The Finger Points (1931) - AKA too dumb to live the movie. It's a 1930s Gangster film about a news reporter who starts getting paid by a gangster to not say shit about their criminal activities, eventually towards the end of the movie he (the news reporter) starts getting real cocky and smug that he thought he was all that, eventually he tries leveraging the gangster that he can easily say whatever he wants about the criminal syndicate that he starts asking for more money, the gangster shows him to the boss where he asks for like a hundred thousand dollars and the boss man agrees but in turn if it ever comes to the public that he'll find himself dead, that same day a friend of his who also works for the same news place releases a news piece about the bad guys, our dear protagonist gets his ass killed the next day lol

@Poiseon Have you seen the Simpsons parody of Cape Fear? That was really funny.

Last edited:

frozenrunner

kiwifarms.net
Old boy (2003) - Jesus Christ, what an overkill for a revenge lol.
If you liked that, check out Park Chan-wook's other movies from "the Revenge Trilogy:" Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance and Sympathy for Lady Vengeance. Both are great films, too. (I think Lady Vengeance might be the best of the three.)

And really, anything Park Chan-wook has directed is worth watching. He's incredible.

Man vs persistent rat

kiwifarms.net
It's a recommendation of a recommendation, but if you do like Lady Vengeance, The Villainess (2017) is a good film in that vein, though (iirc) a little more action-oriented.

• Informative

Zaragoza

Love Saw It
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I'll consider watching the Vengeance Trilogy.

Quo Vadis (1951) I fucking love Roman Era dramas, every set in all these movies are always fun to see especially when there's a lot of people in it, also the guy who played Emperor Nero was fantastic in this movie, he's such a vile, raunchy and corrupt emperor a striking contrast between our hero played by Robert Taylor.

Fun Fact: It took the set 24 days to burn Rome all for the benefits for the camera.

Last edited:
  • Informative

A single cheeto

99.9% pure dumbass
kiwifarms.net
Food Paradise is a fun show to watch. They go all over the country to find foods, usually with a different theme every episode, like barbeque or cheeses. Its always fun to see how its made, too.

Lensherr

kiwifarms.net

Imagine if David Lynch, Sam Raimi, and early-career Peter Jackson had a baby, and that baby did 10 tabs of acid, snorted 20 lines of coke, and somehow managed to not overdose. I'm not going to describe it any further than that, because you should go into it knowing as little as possible so that you're in awe of how fucking batshit insane this film is.

Man vs persistent rat

kiwifarms.net
The Dark Half (George A. Romero, 1993)

Despite the bad reviews I wanted to see this due to a high tolerance for the genre and for Stephen King adaptations in general. The plot is more interesting in its individual ideas than how they mesh together (they don't) but it was the pacing that was a disaster. This is a 90 minute film trapped in a 120 minute film's runtime, and becomes interminable in the final act.

• Informative
Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

We are on the Brave BAT program. Consider using Brave as your Browser. It's like Chrome but doesn't tell Google what you masturbate to.

BTC: 1EiZnCKCb6Dc4biuto2gJyivwgPRM2YMEQ
BTC+SW: bc1qwv5fzv9u6arksw6ytf79gfvce078vprtc0m55s
ETH: 0xc1071c60ae27c8cc3c834e11289205f8f9c78ca5
LTC: LcDkAj4XxtoPWP5ucw75JadMcDfurwupet
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino