Movie & TV Show Recommendations -

Zaragoza

Love Saw It
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
12 Angry Men (1957) Great courtroom drama, I saw Inherit the Wind yesterday but this movie is way better than that.
I'm really liking The Wire.
Season 2 and 4 are my favorite. The story involving Frank and Nick Sobotka is fucking sad but when you get to Season 4, holy shit it's The Wire's magnus opus, Marlo is GOTY all day.

Spit bucket

kiwifarms.net
Decided to watch From Dusk Till Dawn (1996) cause' I've been on a Tarantino kick. If you want a stupidly fun movie about vampires where George Clooney is a badass with nice action scenes and killer soundtrack I'd recommend this.

Reactions: QU 734

Terrorist

Osama bin Ladkin
kiwifarms.net
Idiocracy (2006): Ever feel like you're the only smart one in a world of vapid proles who've never even read Ayn Rand or The God Delusion ? Then Mike Judge has the movie for you. Witness the horrors of a future caused by girls dating genetically inferior MALE JERKS who like, ugh, fucking nascar and sportsball, instead of sensitive communications majors.

Francis E. Dec Esc.

kiwifarms.net
After Armageddon (2010): A docudrama about a family in LA that tries to survive a The Stand-esque flu pandemic that kills 2/3rds of the world's population. Some parts are really grim and depressing, like how one of the family members cuts themselves and then dies of septicemia when there's no antibiotics available.

• Informative
Reactions: frozenrunner

Zaragoza

Love Saw It
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
The Naked City 1948: I felt like I saw this movie before until I realized this was the main inspiration for a case in LA Noire. For an old Irish fellow, Barry Fitzgerald was charismatic throughout the entire film not one scene goes by where you never get bored of seeing him, this guy nails it! Great ending too and the dialogue was some top written stuff, great movie!

• Informative
Reactions: frozenrunner

Midlife Sperglord

Sperging over console gaming.
kiwifarms.net
If you have Amazon Prime Video in the US, it is worth it to check out all of the early Def Comedy Jam seasons which are available streaming there now. At least the earlier seasons are a nice trip back to a time before the SJW angle influenced stand up comedy.

Man vs persistent rat

A good egg is a nice person
kiwifarms.net
The Entity (1982) - much more of a supernatural thriller than a straight horror film, it has a spectacular lead performance that really elevates the whole thing beyond the "raped by a ghost" concept.

Maniac Cop 2 (1990) - this is a recommendation to avoid, and a re-recommendation to see the original which is a masterpiece. This does the typical 80s sequel thing (Robocop 2/Aliens/Terminator 2) where it's clearly trying to make the anatagonist "iconic" in order to merchandise the characters and only manages to demystify and spoil the whole atmosphere.

Venom (1981) - one of two interesting "why is there a snake!?" films seen recently. This one is a heist/hostage thriller starring Klaus Kinski in which for some reason there is also a bizarrely stealthy snake attacking them rudely interrupting a regular police siege.

Jaws of Satan aka King Cobra (1981) - 1981 was clearly the year of the snake, and this one goes down a different route - it's a competently made religious thriller in the Exorcist 1/3 mould in which it's not a cult or demon that is causing all the problems, but Satan returned in the personification of a regular-sized snake who creates/influences a lot of other regular-sized snakes which proceed to bother the residents of a town until somebody sorts it out. Ignoring the silly snake stuff, this is another well-shot and acted turn of the 80s thriller.

Warning Sign (1985) - a competent Andromeda Strain type affair with some added zombie-like horror elements, elevated by a decent female supporting role, and a young version of the actor who plays Jack McCoy in Law & Order. Feels a little retro in its 70s paranoia, but that makes it better.

The Star Chamber (1983) - the modern posters for this are such deceptive nonsense. This is not an action thriller and Michael Douglas barely holds a gun - they're lucky they even had that single frame to put on the cover to try to convince people otherwise. It's a rather moralistic/preachy legal thriller about extrajudicial justice and it's a solid bit of entertainment.

Island of the Fishmen aka Screamers (1979) - it's hard to find information about the differing cuts of this, but it's worth trying in any form to see an Italian attempt at a classic sci-fi adventure (Jules Verne/H.G. Welles style), it has some pretty cool murloc costumes.

Pentathlon (1994) - a Dolph action flick with an athletics theme, it's not great and the plot is stupid, but it has a Rocky-like big heart. It's surprisingly at its best in the non-action moments and the characters are not exactly richly-written, nor amazingly acted, but are still likeable, and it has just enough budget to make everything look good.

Sleepaway Camp (1983) - despite the surprise ending being a horror meme, I had somehow not been spoiled. If you enjoy slashers and don't know what I am talking about, please watch this post-haste before it's ruined for you too. A great experience, amidst a rather silly summer camp romp, somewhat notable for having bit-parts actually played by kids rather than the usual 25 year olds pretending to be 16, which lends an unusual authenticity to the setting.

Maniac (1980) - comparable to Driller Killer, but rather more refined (still a piece of shit though, which is to its credit). It has a great style to it and the mystery is retained very well.

Kumiko, the Treasure Hunter (2014) - a very well-made and enjoyable film that is sadly short on intrigue and motivation, as beyond the quirky real-life story, the writers weren't able to make you understand what is wrong with this mentally-ill woman, nor give you a sense of her rationale. It feels like you are watching her from a distance, but other than that it's an enjoyable film which should appeal to people who like quiet mystery dramas such as Wind River (although minus the crime element).

Zaragoza

Love Saw It
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Well, looks like I missed an entire season of The Deuce without even knowing it existed. The first season was great, time to start watching the new one!

Man vs persistent rat

A good egg is a nice person
kiwifarms.net
The Expanse (Sci-fi TV show) is really good. I quit first time during the first episode because it looked like the usual unwatchable Syfy channel junk, but the camerawork got better as it went on, and what looked like half-baked social commentary was complimented by a nice intrigue storyline. The best thing about it is that it basically doesn't have filler episodes, it is like Babylon 5 if every episode was a main story episode rather than the regular monster/problem of the week type setups.

W00K #17

Boy Man God Shiiiit
kiwifarms.net
The Expanse (Sci-fi TV show) is really good. I quit first time during the first episode because it looked like the usual unwatchable Syfy channel junk, but the camerawork got better as it went on, and what looked like half-baked social commentary was complimented by a nice intrigue storyline. The best thing about it is that it basically doesn't have filler episodes, it is like Babylon 5 if every episode was a main story episode rather than the regular monster/problem of the week type setups.

Might have to give that a watch, Babylon 5 is my shit.

Zaragoza

Love Saw It
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Just finished The Deuce S2, highly recommend it for anyone looking for a good crime drama based in New York City in the 1970s. Beware though, it's more raunchy than GOT sex scenes combined.

Midlife Sperglord

Sperging over console gaming.
kiwifarms.net
I am binge watching Osmosis on Netflix. The plot is like watching people one wants to root for willingly get involved in a slow motion train wreck. I am watching only to see how much worse it gets for the test subjects at this point. In that respect, it is grand entertainment.

Last edited:

Zaragoza

Love Saw It
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Haven't watched The Social Network in a long time so I gave it a rewatch, you know it's really good movie when it's about a guy suing his own friend because he only received millions when he should have gotten more millions.

Chocolate Elvis

Whole lotta shakin', whole lotta shakin'
kiwifarms.net
HBO's Chernobyl mini-series. First episode in, the reactor's exploded and people are melting left, right and centre.

The party line from Soviet officials? It's just a fire on the roof.

:story:

Zaragoza

Love Saw It
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Marathoning through Deadwood, the dialogue is so Shakespearean that I have trouble understanding what the hell they're talking about, just finished watching Season 1 & 2 and all I can say is that Bullock is the most pussy whipped, annoying character in the series, I can't stand the fucking guy. Al Swearengen's voice is GOTY every year.

Dr Strangelove (1964) Who would have thought a guy obsessed with fluoridation could bring the end of the world? Stanley Kubrick of course.

Just finished all the seasons of Deadwood, I don't know how people said S2 was the best, but S3 was really good, George Hearst is one sadistic motherfucker.

Last edited:
Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1DgS5RfHw7xA82Yxa5BtgZL65ngwSk6bmm
ETH: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
LTC: LSZsFCLUreXAZ9oyc9JRUiRwbhkLCsFi4q
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino