Movie & TV Show Recommendations -

frozenrunner

Salt supply chains have been interrupted.
kiwifarms.net
Just got out of A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood. It sort of makes me ill to say this about a movie funded by the C.C.P., (through Tencent), but it's one of the best films of the year. Maybe the best I've seen. (If you grew up watching Mr. Rogers, you'll find the film especially affecting. I had trouble keeping it together in the theater.)

I hope someone in this movie gets nominated for something. Hanks was really great, but because of that people are going to overlook Matthew Rhys, which is a shame. He was the perfect choice for his role.

Thankfully, the movie is bombing so we get the best of all possible worlds: we got a great film, and China lost money.

The Great Chandler

"Pickleless girls don't marry virgin boys"
kiwifarms.net
Isn't strange that, even though I watched movies with family and friends in my young life, Godzilla KOTM was the first and only movie I made to effort to watch in IMAX alone? I think it says something about movie industry or it's just me.

(Plus, I want to see Joker)

Feline Supremacist

I am a Dog-Exclusionary Radical Felinist
kiwifarms.net
The Man in the High Castle (Amazon Prime 2015-19)
This went from Amazon's most watched series rated at 95% in 2015 to 65% this week and dropping. I ranted on Plenoma about it but it's basically Philip K Dick's short story of the same name expanded; unfortunately, the depictions of an alternate world where the US lost WW2 (and the US is split into a Japanese Controlled Western States, a central Neutral Zone and an American Nazi Reich East Coast) were too attractive so out of nowhere in the fourth season there's Black Guerilla Family Black Communist Rebellion larpers, one of the main protagonists from Dick's story is killed and written out and the two most nuanced characters (Inspector Kido of the Kempeitai and SS Reichsführer John Smith) are butchered and completely out of character. There's even a Wall, complete with swastika.

Seasons 1 and 2 are great, Season 3 is a bit disjointed but OK and Season 4 is absolute woke trash.

AnOminous

Really?
True & Honest Fan
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
The Man in the High Castle (Amazon Prime 2015-19)
This went from Amazon's most watched series rated at 95% in 2015 to 65% this week and dropping. I ranted on Plenoma about it but it's basically Philip K Dick's short story of the same name expanded; unfortunately, the depictions of an alternate world where the US lost WW2 (and the US is split into a Japanese Controlled Western States, a central Neutral Zone and an American Nazi Reich East Coast) were too attractive so out of nowhere in the fourth season there's Black Guerilla Family Black Communist Rebellion larpers, one of the main protagonists from Dick's story is killed and written out and the two most nuanced characters (Inspector Kido of the Kempeitai and SS Reichsführer John Smith) are butchered and completely out of character. There's even a Wall, complete with swastika.

Seasons 1 and 2 are great, Season 3 is a bit disjointed but OK and Season 4 is absolute woke trash.
I never watched it because it was inevitable they'd do something disgusting and completely rape the novel. They couldn't possibly do it because it portrays a Nazi future as, while not exactly great, hardly the unremittingly awful shithole world that it absolutely must be in SJW thought.

Feline Supremacist

I am a Dog-Exclusionary Radical Felinist
kiwifarms.net
I never watched it because it was inevitable they'd do something disgusting and completely rape the novel. They couldn't possibly do it because it portrays a Nazi future as, while not exactly great, hardly the unremittingly awful shithole world that it absolutely must be in SJW thought.
The black commies literally came out of nowhere in S4. Everyone is leaving reviews on the Prime site about how absolutely ridiculous that is when they were never even mentioned in past seasons, let alone never making any appearance in Dick's story.

In the alternative world where the Nazis won the Reich is technologically advanced and the standard of living is high (its assumed the Japanese Empire is as well). To counter that with a bunch of black commies instead of actually writing about what can go wrong is sheer laziness as well as blatant SJW propaganda.

Digital Thunder

Himbo Supremacist
kiwifarms.net
Extended family convinced me to tag along with them to see Parasite (2019). The showing just finished and I left the theater shaking. The threads of the film’s story stack and twist and turn in a way I can’t go into detail about without spoiling the film altogether, but it all comes together in a way that is absolutely cathartic.
Maybe I’ll do a write-up once I’m on a PC again.

frozenrunner

Salt supply chains have been interrupted.
kiwifarms.net
Extended family convinced me to tag along with them to see Parasite (2019). The showing just finished and I left the theater shaking. The threads of the film’s story stack and twist and turn in a way I can’t go into detail about without spoiling the film altogether, but it all comes together in a way that is absolutely cathartic.
Maybe I’ll do a write-up once I’m on a PC again.
I want to see this so badly. SK cinema has been killing it.

Trombonista

When did I eat vomit?
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Welcome to Demon School! Iruma-kun is the most fun anime I've seen in a long time. It's about a 14-year-old boy whose deadbeat parents sell his soul to a demon.

• Thunk-Provoking
Reactions: Digital Thunder

Dysnomia

Save trees. Wipe your ass with Corona-chan
kiwifarms.net
I just watched Abducted In Plain Sight on Netflix. It's a documentasy about the 1974 abduction of Jan Broberg by Bob Berchtold. It is the most horrifying abduction story I have heard in a long time. The way this piece of filth destroyed a family to get to a 12 year old girl is absolutely insane. And her parents ended up letting him back into their lives resulting in him taking her to California.

The parents were LDS and very sheltered and naive. They let this man into their lives after meeting his family at church. He immediately gravitated towards Jan and tells all sorts of lies to get the Brobergs to let him take Jan out alone. They completely trust him. He tells them that part of his therapy for being sexually abused as a child is to sleep next to Jan. And these stupid parents let him do it. For several nights a week for months on end. He also pulls her underwear down during a sleepover in at his house and tells Jan that she accidentally pulled them down in her sleep.

Berchtold ends up having a sexual relationship with both of the Brobergs then weaponizes it to blackmail and further manipulate them.

In 1974 he tells Mary Broberg that he is taking Jan horseback riding. Berchtold gives Jan an "allergy" pill that is actually a sleeping pill. He stages a fake abduction of both of them complete with a blood drench car and drives a drugged Jan all the way to Mexico from Utah where he keeps her in a sleeping pill haze while playing weird tapes that convince her she is half alien and must have sex with Berchtold to make a baby. If she doesn't do it she will die and her sisters will be punished horribly for her refusal. In Mexico he marries her and repeatedly rapes her. The parents drop the case after being blackmailed about their sexual affairs with Berchtold. Because of the way he assaulted her there is no physical injuries that prove rape. And Jan is so brainwashed after months of her ordeal in Mexico that she will not talk. The FBI wants to go to trial but they are unable to because none of the witnesses will talk.

The Brobergs let Berchtold into their lives yet again. Jan ends up being taken to California where Berchtold hides her in a Catholic girls school and convinces the nuns he is a CIA agent and he and Jan escaped from Lebanon after Jan's mother was killed. The FBI managed to nab him because he stupidly left a phonebook open to the school's number at a payphone. Berchtold somehow manages to avoid anything but a slap on the wrist for everything he has done. It is later revealed he raped a child years earlierr and did a paltry one year stint in jail.

The only caveat here is that he ends up commiting suicide to avoid jail time for possession of a gun after a confrontation with a now adult Jan'sbodyguards. He had been threatening the family for years.

If you watch the whole thing you will be absolutely infuriated with the Brobergs. They exposed their daughter to this man again and again. They waited five days to report the first abduction because they were so naive and didn't want to upset Gail Berchtold. I get that they were manipulated by a very evil man. But they were adults and it all should have clicked way sooner that their daughter was in danger.

I have to wonder after watching this, are LDS members typically this naive about fellow members of the church? It was the 70s. But even now I have to wonder since some of them are so sheltered.

AnOminous

Really?
True & Honest Fan
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
I have to wonder after watching this, are LDS members typically this naive about fellow members of the church? It was the 70s. But even now I have to wonder since some of them are so sheltered.
Mormons are genetically selected from ancestors who believed a convicted fraud who sold them the most ridiculous religious origin story of recent history, or else converted to it even more recently. It is absolute nonsense and not until the Twentieth Century did anyone come up with an even more cockamamie "religion." Nice people, but while it's now got pedigree enough that it's not much more silly than any other religion, it took a real sucker to fall for it at the time Joseph Smith made it all up.

The Mormon community is also full of all kinds of Ponzi scams and sovereign citizen bullshit and other adjacent delusions.

Man vs persistent rat

A good egg is a nice person
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Altered States is very worth a go if you want something similar to Cronenberg (god knows there's not much to choose from) - both the Fly, but also his philosophical/techno scifi stuff.

Like much of this director's films, it has some dated psychedelic imagery, but it makes it less generic overall and it's just a neat experience. Just don't Google image search it, it'll both spoil a lot of the fun, and also incorrectly make it look like some kind of Jodorowsky insanity, which it isn't entirely.

tantric_depressive

Be kind, REEEEEE
kiwifarms.net
Altered States is very worth a go if you want something similar to Cronenberg (god knows there's not much to choose from) - both the Fly, but also his philosophical/techno scifi stuff.

Like much of this director's films, it has some dated psychedelic imagery, but it makes it less generic overall and it's just a neat experience. Just don't Google image search it, it'll both spoil a lot of the fun, and also incorrectly make it look like some kind of Jodorowsky insanity, which it isn't entirely.
I liked the horror movie that Cronenberg's son made, Antiviral. It's set in the near future, focused on celebrity worship culture being extremely out of hand, and has some good psychological and body horror.

Rice Is Ready

*MMMMUUAH
kiwifarms.net
21191211181619.png

Rented this as a kid and it was the worst thing ever. Rewatched it older and higher and it was much more entertaining.

cover6.jpg

This one is way better though. More action oriented and faster paced.

Commander X

kiwifarms.net
A movie I was just reacquainted with, a 2004 film that showed up at film festivals and elsewhere in 2005, "The Prodigy".

Small time mob enforcer Truman Fisher finds that a notorious underworld legend has taken an interest in him. "Claude Rains" is the alias of a ghost, a cipher, an "invisible man" (Fisher has to have the movie reference explained to him). He's the boogeyman whose mere suspected presence is supposed to be enough to cause the most hardcore members of gangland to "eat their vegetables". Truman is less than pleased to realize that Rains may have been observing him for years. Rains is a sadistic, ruthless, efficient, and amoral killing machine and he believes Truman has what it takes to be his successor; but first he's going to need to give him some special lessons, which includes going after everyone in his life. It was a low-budget affair but every penny showed up on the screen. It didn't have the polish of a big budget studio film but it didn't, you know, lack. It's a crime thriller that also plays like a horror movie.

Last edited:
Tags
None